Kerbal Space Program update 1.4 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

For a quick fix for you guys missing an Internal for the Mk 1-3 Pod replace this in your Mk1-3.cfg file. Use this instead of the default Internal. (It does not exist hence the bug)

INTERNAL { name = GenericSpace3 }

Or you can use Name = GenericSpace1 (Variant of M 1-2)

Or you can use Name = PodCockpit (Is M 1-2 Version)

You can find this file located in:

\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Squad\Spaces

On another Note you can really use any Internal you want. But this should get you on Your way if its annoying you.

Edited by malkuth

6 minutes ago, malkuth said:

For a quick fix for you guys missing an Internal for the Mk 1-3 Pod replace this in your Mk1-3.cfg file. Use this instead of the default Internal. (It does not exist hence the bug)

INTERNAL { name = GenericSpace3 }

Or you can use Name = GenericSpace1 (Variant of M 1-2)

Or you can use Name = PodCockpit (Is M 1-2 Version)

You can find this file located in:

\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Squad\Spaces

On another Note you can really use any Internal you want. But this should get you on Your way if its annoying you.

I fixed it by using steam verify integrity of game files tool, would of done essentially this fix anyway. Nice writeup

A few bugs I've discovered so far....

1. 'X' key stops time acceleration. (It is not mapped and you can't time accelerate under thrust anyway. It just flashes a notice time 'acceleration x1', which is annoying) -  caused by kerbal alarm clock, a lot is broken on that mod.

2. Writing on backpacks is floating and not in contact with the pack. (this is  not happening  all the time. Are old backpacks still being loaded in some scenarios?)

3. The themes for textures don't work and the hover text is a random bunch of letters and numbers.

4. One of the small golden tanks has a inconsistent weight attribute compared to the others.

5. IVA is not working on command pod mk3

6. Save folders are being marked as 'incompatible with latest version'. I know this because I have copied the .sfs save files to a new game folder and they work fine. (it even has the same name as the old folder)

7. The golden donut tanks don't sink in to each other a little when stacked. That was the whole point of them, that they save physical space and can stack.

thank you

Edited by s_powers

1 minute ago, SupperRobin6394 said:

They added DRM?

If yes, wouldn't this impact the already 'questionable' performance of KSP?

I dont see how DRM impacts performance, but I am no programmer.

Just yesterday it was posted on here how it is very unlikely that they introduce a data rights management this late in the game. And if 1.4 has a DRM indeed, then 1.3.1 will be the final KSP version for me.

5 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Calm down, there is no confirmation yet of DRM, someone asked a question, that is all.

Really? No confirmation yet? People write about bugs already, but nobody checked for DRM? Surely people must have moved their folders around by now?

Anyway, the question that was asked kinda implies that there is a DRM in the base game. The user asked if DRM is now applied to both, game and DLC. Hence the assumption. Sorry for the confusion, but its an easy mistake to make then.

Edited by Dafni

4 minutes ago, Dafni said:

Anyway, the question that was asked kinda implies that there is a DRM in the base game. The user asked if DRM is now applied to both, game and DLC. Hence the assumption. Sorry for the confusion, but its an easy mistake to make then.

Nope, just another dumpster fire

Nothin to see except conspiracy theories burn away into embers preparing the dumpster for the next fire

It can be quite entertaining at times though :wink:

Edited by DoctorDavinci

Considering I downloaded KSP off the store site and extracted an ordinary zip and don't see anything that leaps out as DRM, I'd say there either is none, or it's hidden. And it loaded just fine in my arbitrary directory.

What a pleasant surprise this morning :)

Edit: So far i really like it. Some nice new features. Even the jet engine sounds (Yes, i really think they are pretty good) :) 

Edited by rudi1291

46 minutes ago, Galileo said:
1 hour ago, SupperRobin6394 said:

jAorMKI.png
I can't be the only one

They just preemptively put the loading screen in for the expansion is all.

Yeah. Remember that 1.4 is mainly to add the features needed by the expansion, so the expansion loading system will already be in even though there's no expansion to load yet.

I've written a couple of loading systems myself, so this is no surprise.

4 minutes ago, CanOmer said:

Is garbage collection still an issue?

Yes, it will be a ongoing process to optimize the game. Although KSP 1.4.0 uses a newer version of the Unity engine which I have noticed an improved multi threading load on my CPU, evenly distributed all across my cores to remove stutters I used to get on 1.3.1.

Memory allocation and management is still a problem that will be not solved any time soon I imagine

From my understanding, if you purchased the game in April 2013 or before, the DLC will be free? When i look at my purchase history, it says Im an Early adopter. Although, I have no problem paying for DLC as long as this game stays true to Squads vision.  KSP is one of my favorite games ever, and love seeing it continually move forward. I only hope that TT will remember, modders help keep this game alive. Playing stock versions without modders will burn someone out fast.  My thanks and gratitude to modders, I do try and donate to every mod I use. 

Also, Thank you Squad!

So trying to download 1.4.0 from the store and after accepting the new terms (*discontented mumbling) I get this error;
Fatal error: Call to a member function updateAcceptNewTerms() on null in /usr/share/nginx/html/kspstore/app/src/Controllers/TermsController.php on line 33 Something bad happened :(string(56) "Call to a member function updateAcceptNewTerms() on null"

reloading page takes me back to login, login again accept terms again, after a few passes of doing that I got passed it, then it redirects back to the front page when trying to go to my account. Went through process again and finally was able to get to the downloads page.....so yeah....someone has installed some pasta into the store's routing, that should be a very simple bit of request handling, but it feels like something overly complicated (or just messy) is going on. 
Anyway, it's downloading now, so no biggie, just with the new "we're a big professional company" EULA we've had to sign, kinda also expect a bit more high grade in the infrastructure. 

1) The new EULA are utterly ridiculous and most likely unenforceable in some of the saner parts of the world (as most EULAs really, it mostly relies on the fact that it would be prohibitive to challenge them).

2) There's no added DRM (yet).

3) The new jet engine sounds are an unmitigated disaster (unless you consider your viewpoint to be at short range and the engines somehow being at low regime and relatively static to be normal).

4) The game works fine by selectively using the 1.3.1 parts with the 1.4.0 code, making transition require little work (you will want to keep the "new" Cargo and Service Bays, as well as Internal configs though, all other parts can be replaced by their old version without adverse effect in sandbox mode so far), however, as pointed by RoverDude, older parts are hidden but present, thus not breaking crafts (the reason why new/modified parts have new names) making it unnecessary (except for weirdos like me who want to try it).

5) Stock performances have improved a bit.

6) Personal parachutes are great.

Now to try and migrate my circa 300 mods install... (and enough core mods are broken or not working properly for me to stay on 1.3.1 for the time being, I'm usually 1 to 2 version back anyway.)

Edited by EthanKerbman
Update and clarification