Kerbal Space Program update 1.4 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

Man I'm nervous about updating. Too worried about losing my saves and mods as I have this game finally tweaked just how I want it. I'm going to just sit back for now and read a lot more comments as more user experiences come in, especially on which mods work and which ones don't. Right now if I lost even one mod or one saved game, I would just freak out. I'm glad I can play the game through ckan and not have to open Steam. Steam has this habit I don't like that if you open it your games are going to get updated whether you want it or not.

Edited by MikeO89

So...did anyone else notice the Mk1-3 is WAY lighter than the Mk1-2 was?

That's great and all, it needed it; but it's like only a touch heavier than the Mk2 Lander Can, which raises the question if the lander can needs to be re-balanced now?

(Old)Mk1-2 Mass: 4

(New)Mk1-3 Mass: 2.6

Mk2LanderCan Mass: 2.5

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

7 minutes ago, MikeO89 said:

Man I'm nervous about updating. Too worried about losing my saves and mods as I have this game finally tweaked just how I want it. I'm going to just sit back for now and read a lot more comments as more user experiences come in, especially on which mods work and which ones don't. Right now if I lost even one mod or one saved game, I would just freak out. I'm glad I can play the game through ckan and not have to open Steam. Steam has this habit I don't like that if you open it your games are going to get updated whether you want it or not.

Just back up your game folder, then update. You can always run the old version from the folder you backed up.

1 minute ago, Jeb's Pirotecnics Guy said:

Hi, the new MK1-3 command pod does look cool, but is the interior view still in progress because the Kerbal portraits won't appear. It isn't just me, everyone is experiencing this problem

The IVA is done but due to a slip up did not make it into the build, you will get it with the 1.4.1 patch

6 hours ago, Steven Mading said:

For the optional DLC coming soon, will we modders need to release two simultaneous releases of mods, one for users with the DLC, and one for users without the DLC?  (i.e. if non-DLC is version 1.4, and with-DLC is version 1.4.1.)

I currently maintain a backward port of kOS to KSP 1.2.2 just because of Realism Overhaul always being a revision or two behind, but it's kind of a pain to keep a back-port active and I'd like to not have to start maintaining more of them because with-DLC and without-DLC users are on two different versions of KSP.

24 minutes ago, Jeb's Pirotecnics Guy said:

Hi, the new MK1-3 command pod does look cool, but is the interior view still in progress because the Kerbal portraits won't appear. It isn't just me, everyone is experiencing this problem

You can fix it easily until the official update is released by going to your KSP install folder>Gamedata>Squad>Parts>Command>

Open the Mk1-3.cfg in notepad. Find the INTERNAL line. Change "name = Mk1-3" to "name = PodCockpit"

Now, you'll have your Kerbal portraits back, and it will use the old Mk1-2 interior model for IVA which works well enough.

So, am I just being an idiot or...?

I can manually change the Mk1-3 interior, but I can't make it change via a module manager patch? I feel like I'm not using the right name identifier for the pod but I've tried several. (It's called name = mk1-3pod in it's .cfg)

@PART[mk1-3pod]
{
    INTERNAL
    {
        name = PodCockpit
    }
}

Is this because MM isn't updated? It still seems to be working fine insofar as my WetterWings patch is still working.

@RoverDude Would it be hard to add something like Tweakscale? It really opens up how you can build stock craft. MechJeb is also something that would be nice, by using it I learned how to actually play the game. Now i use it for information and testing. These are very popular mods and seems like it would not be to complicated to add. 

7 hours ago, Johnny Wishbone said:

Looks like I may have found another issue in 1.4.

I have started a stock career (no mods period). I am playing with the option that makes you pay for your unlocked parts. When you unlock the Engineering 101 node, it shows 4 available parts for purchase, which have a grand total price of 5600 funds. However, the button to buy all parts says to buy 5 parts for 6800 funds. There is a phantom 5th part apparently. Also, the cost of the decoupler in this node went from 1200 funds in 1.3 to 1600 funds in 1.4. This may be intentional, but the phantom 5th part is definitely not.

I am attempting to submit a bug report at this time, but currently don't have access to a public file sharing site to upload the screenshot of proof. However, this should be fairly easy to reproduce.

ETA: if you buy the 4 parts in this node individually, the buy all parts button still shows 1 available part with a cost of 1200 funds. As i said above, that was the cost of the original decoupler in this node, before it got reskinned and replaced in 1.4 (and the cost got jacked up to 1600 funds). I believe it has been stated that the old parts were “hidden” so ships made with them in previous versions would still work, and I wonder if that is the cause of this phantom part? Perhaps they forgot to remove the “hidden” old decoupler from this research node?

My guess: this is a result of old parts (like the 1-2 pod or rockomax 64 tank) being hidden in order to maintain backward compatibility with crafts. I'm guessing their entryCost is not 0, and that they still can be purchased in the tech tree even though they don't show up in game.

3 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

So, am I just being an idiot or...?

I can manually change the Mk1-3 interior, but I can't make it change via a module manager patch? I feel like I'm not using the right name identifier for the pod but I've tried several. (It's called name = mk1-3pod in it's .cfg)

@PART[mk1-3pod]
{
    INTERNAL
    {
        name = PodCockpit
    }
}

Is this because MM isn't updated? It still seems to be working fine insofar as my WetterWings patch is still working.

Try @INTERNAL, just in case the line is already in there. :) 

17 hours ago, katateochi said:

So trying to download 1.4.0 from the store and after accepting the new terms (*discontented mumbling) I get this error;
Fatal error: Call to a member function updateAcceptNewTerms() on null in /usr/share/nginx/html/kspstore/app/src/Controllers/TermsController.php on line 33 Something bad happened :(string(56) "Call to a member function updateAcceptNewTerms() on null"

reloading page takes me back to login, login again accept terms again, after a few passes of doing that I got passed it, then it redirects back to the front page when trying to go to my account. Went through process again and finally was able to get to the downloads page.....so yeah....someone has installed some pasta into the store's routing, that should be a very simple bit of request handling, but it feels like something overly complicated (or just messy) is going on. 
Anyway, it's downloading now, so no biggie, just with the new "we're a big professional company" EULA we've had to sign, kinda also expect a bit more high grade in the infrastructure. 

I can’t get 1.4 as the login forgotten password reset is not functional from my end on the Kerbal Space Program site. 

Big mistake with Center of Mass at many Engines. I think for the most of Kerbal Engineers it´s a katastrophical failure ^^ Please SQUAD fix this.

• RAPIER
  • LV-1 "Ant"
  • Panther
  • Whiplash
  • Skipper
  • Juno
  • Spark
  • Wheesley

G4GBYJ2.png

The Mainsail it´s only for a correct example.

Thanks and greatings from germany!