Kerbal Space Program update 1.4 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

2 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Apparently the mesh and texture switching is mostly locked out to modders ... Just what I have heard from those in the know

If this is the case I wouldn't expect much in regards to using the stock texture and mesh switching

Well.  There's the only real interest i had in moving to 1.4 gone.

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

That part module is already part of 1.4.0, and fully available for modders to take advantage of (like any other stock partmodule).

NICE!

The new Mk 1-3 Pod is very pretty, and I do look forward to seeing it completed; however I do really miss a particular feature of the Mk 1-2 pod that completely changes it functionally:

You see, the Mk 1-3 pod's ladder is centered, such that if it stands at the top of a lander, I can't put anything on the cardinal symmetry line under it—but the original Mk 1-2 pod offset its ladder to the side specifically to allow for this logistical problem.

for example, I commonly use 2-fold radial symmetry, placing solar panels perpendicular on one set of cardinal direction sides, and monpropellent/batteries on the other, such that in the "Lock" view, my panels stick out beside me like wings, and monoprop tanks and batteries are up/down, perpendicular to the solar panels.

With the new Mk 1-3 pod, I can't do this if I ever plan on using it as a lander, because I can't get the ladder to the ground without running into my tanks.

Now, I'm not asking that the Mk 1-3 Pod be removed from the game, but it would be nice if the Mk 1-2 pod continued to be available and supported into the foreseeable future. This would allow people like me to continue easily building the designs that utilize it as a dual lander and re-entry capsule.

Just now, MechBFP said:

@paploo Why don’t you just rotate the pod in the editor?  Problem solved. 

I had thought of that, but since the navball and locked view reference the command module by default, it would mean I'd be flying crooked compared to my usual visual references without doing some trickery. :)

I could also try re-adjusting my designs to be more in-line with my "can" based landers, though I did find myself working harder to keep my ladder zone free with those.

While not a huge deal, it is one of those little quality of life things that I'd rather not have to start fighting for no apparent reason.

3 hours ago, Farm Buyer said:

Squad/Biltworks/Take Two /whomever...  do you intend to bring the console edition up to date with 1.4?  or are we just supposed to be happy with the flawed, out of date piece of junk that you foisted off on us (again) as the so called KSP "enhanced edition"

No they're going to foist the flawed 1.4 off on you too.

27 minutes ago, paploo said:

You see, the Mk 1-3 pod's ladder is centered, such that if it stands at the top of a lander, I can't put anything on the cardinal symmetry line under it—but the original Mk 1-2 pod offset its ladder to the side specifically to allow for this logistical problem.

Every change breaks somebody's workflow. You are quite literally the first person I've seen laud the old placement of the door. Other than it's too-high mass, that door was the only real reason I never used the pod.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

No they're going to foist the flawed 1.4 off on you too.

Every change breaks somebody's workflow. You are quite literally the first person I've seen laud the old placement of the door. Other than it's too-high mass, that door was the only real reason I never used the pod.

And, I mean, you can always place things off the cardinal axis. 

43 minutes ago, Wilhelm Kerman said:

Who seriously likes the new separators and decouplers? I find them plain boring and awful to look at. Anyway to revert to 1.3.1?

Finaly they don't stick out from my ships designs like sore thumbs.

43 minutes ago, Wilhelm Kerman said:

Who seriously likes the new separators and decouplers? I find them plain boring and awful to look at. Anyway to revert to 1.3.1?

I do, they are clean,slim and simple and dont look so out of place on the rocket. Huge improvement over the old stock ones, plus they gave different sizes for decouplers and separators.

2 hours ago, paploo said:

I had thought of that, but since the navball and locked view reference the command module by default, it would mean I'd be flying crooked compared to my usual visual references without doing some trickery. :)

I could also try re-adjusting my designs to be more in-line with my "can" based landers, though I did find myself working harder to keep my ladder zone free with those.

While not a huge deal, it is one of those little quality of life things that I'd rather not have to start fighting for no apparent reason.

All you need to do is add a probe core or another pod facing the way you want it to and control from there. You could also just have it facing the right way and use a different crew capsule of cabin to EVA the Kerbals. I find it harder to use the ladders with the old one because you had to turn all the credit cabins in line. I bet you new that already. #USELESS

7 minutes ago, Wilhelm Kerman said:

They all have the same boring white texture with tiny grey arrows.

If we are being objective, the old ones were bulky, ugly, and looked like they had caution stripes wrapped around them that completely broke the continuity of a ships design.

Edited by Galileo

4 minutes ago, vicdoctor said:

Boring, slick and consistent is nice for a rocket.

Like Private Division's logo! :sticktongue:

What about the vacuum cleaner ramjet sounds?

Although the particle effects look a lot better with 1.4, and it runs a lot better, I am not at all a fan of this update.

Edited by Wilhelm Kerman

9 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

I do. The old ones were real eyesores.

Ah the days of our Rockets looking like flying trash cans. :-) I remember how bare KSP was in early development.

We do need more boosters IMO and I did not see anything about MH containing these. I know its easy to grab boosters from any pack, me personally, Im trying to get my mod count down. I need a dang index made for KSP with all the mods i end up with. I always start off, ok, Im not going to add all these mods again.  I end up going back to where i started lol

Edited by viperwolf

Yikes... I'm very 50/50 on this update. IMO it really needs some polish, specifically on the textures. We seem to have yet another set of non-matching textures to play around with.

Yes, the new ones are quite nice, apart from the orange tanks don't seem to fit together properly (just the textures leave a weird gap), the large orange tank doesn't look great imo and the black and white tank textures really need rotating externally so the stripes match with cardinal points/axis w.e.

Engine shrouds and the new decouplers (which are sexy compared to the old ones) also look weird next to the new white tanks. Can we have the same texture options for those too eventually please? Parts like nosecones and structural 1.25 to 2.5 cone also look bad placed on the new tanks :(

I'm sure someone may have already mentioned this but I've not read all 15 pages, so my bad.

Do love the Kerbal chutes though and the new pod is great for getting part count down.

On 3/6/2018 at 6:56 PM, klgraham1013 said:

So this is why I signed that draconian EULA today.

I didn't see any new EULA when Steam automatically thrust me into ModBreaker 1.4.  Can't find a copy anywhere obvious, either.  What's the story?

18 hours ago, dreadanaught said:

When will we see the wiki updated?

When someone takes the time to update it.. the wiki is a community-driven site, where updates are done by whoever feels like it. Feel free to help out yourself. Just register an account, learn how to do wiki formatting/editing, and go for it!

Edited by JAFO

23 minutes ago, mjl1966 said:

What's the story?

The EULA has been brought more into line with every other EULA for every other game out there, and some folks are freaking out and over-reacting, same as always.

In short, there is no story.. just a lot of Chicken-Littles running around like headless chooks screaming that the sky is falling and the world is about to be destroyed, yet again.

btw guys, if you have 1.3.x (or older) craft on KerbalX, you can download a version which updates the part names to use the new versions.  You then need to open that craft in KSP 1.4.0 and save it which will make KSP add any extra modules it needs.  It just updates the command pod and fuel tanks, I didn't try to make it replace the decouplers as they have different sizes so that would result in weird part offsets in the craft.  Go to you craft, click edit, and then near the bottom of the edit page click "Download with upgraded parts" (you can only do this for your own craft).