Kerbal Space Program update 1.4 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

Haven't played much of this update.  Are the parachute packs always visible?  Seems to add a lot of awkward bulk to the back of the Kerbal design.  Thinking on it, it would be interesting if you had to choose between parachute or EVA pack.  Low level Kerbal's could even start with parachutes instead of EVA packs, as Kerbals in the early game are more likely to need to bail out within the atmosphere, and need maneuverability in space in the mid game.  As it is now, by the time a Kerbal gets his parachute, any life saving attribute it may have had will be long past.  Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

edit:  Looking at it in game, it's not insanely bulky.

Edited by klgraham1013

I, too, have not played with 1.4 yet. I did download it, but I figured I had enough stuff to occupy my time that I could wait a week and see what fixes 1.4.1 brings. I'm not expecting a lot since a week is not much time. It does seem like there's some neat stuff here, but not without some problems.

It's a shame to hear that the new textures/parts still seem to have some flaws. It sounds like this update could have used another month or so of polish. It seems like Take-Two really is rushing this out to get the DLC out before the end of their fiscal year. Not an uncommon move by big publishers, but it almost always feels like the title suffers to some degree for it. Oh well. I hope they are able to polish this up with a minor update in a few weeks time.

Or maybe KSP will simply remain a diamond in the rough that one must cut and polish with amazing mods...

On 07/03/2018 at 6:29 AM, Yargnit said:

@RoverDude With the new decouplers/seperators, is there any chance we could get their colliders tweaked a bit for 1.4.1/MH (also the new 5m decoupler if it shares the same collider). In this picture you can see the 3.75m version of the decoupler/seperator on the left with it's collider, and the 1.25m on the far right. In the middle are two 1.25m parts (structural fuselage and doughnut tank) showing example colliders. It would be extremely helpful for advanced building techniques if we could get the decoupler/seperator colliders to be tweaked to do something more in-line with how the fuselage or doughnut's collders are. (Basically so the collider hugs the inside shape of the ring instead of only having the hollow square in the middle) This would, among other uses, allow for using them for portals to docking bays and so forth for orbital stations.

6DH5bCv.jpg

Much appreciated! <3

Just wondering how do we see the hit-box like this ?

13 hours ago, viperwolf said:

Are your corn flakes salty? Scott Manley did a preview of making History and stated that. He is pretty accurate when it comes to things, considering he has a preview. If Im wrong someone will correct me Im sure.  You can read this also

http://kerbaldevteam.tumblr.com/post/167097693084/ksp-weekly-expedition-1

Scott manly confirms, "dont take that as an offical statement"   (I point blank asked if it was in the comments section) 

And your link  contains information about the release of enhanced edition, nowhere does it say if the enhanced edition will receive content updates or expansions.  Ive taken  the development teams statements about support to mean patches and stability updates will ocurr.

You are damn right my cornflakes are salty,   did you pay for a game a year and a half ago the was utterly broken? 

And then get another seriously broken version of it on re release?  Do the weekly blog updates for your version mainly consist of single paragraph of canned response?   No?   I thought not. 

Can anyone tell me why the dumpling tank is heavier than the baguette even though it holds less than half the fuel and is smaller? Must be a bug.

* Round radial fuel tank (R-11 'Baguette' External Tank) 0,3xxx tons
* Cylindrical radial fuel tank (R-4 'Dumpling' External Tank)   0,44tons or something

Wheel physics have changed ... and not for the better.

Automatic friction and traction are off, as they should be.

1.3.1:
cXTxy3s.png

1.4:

pXDRg36.png

This car should never roll over. I see this with every craft I've built. I am not going to compromise 80+ cars & trucks on KerbalX and make them incompatible with previous builds.

Not only that, the jet sounds seem to be three times as loud as the previous ones.

Edit: while it may seem insignificant to some, I've spent many hours with every vehicle to give it the very specific tuning and characteristics. Just like some people wouldn't like it if their airplane would suddenly behave differently. The Dodge Charger in the pictures above has existed for over 2.5 years and its current version is 4.0.

Edited by Azimech

2 hours ago, Farm Buyer said:

u are damn right my cornflakes are salty,   did you pay for a game a year and a half ago the was utterly broken? 

Yeah. It was called space base df9

And then get another seriously broken version of it on re release? 

No they just stopped working on it and bailed.

Sorry for this last quote I'm on mobile and the interface sucks more than ksp on console.

45 minutes ago, Theflyingfox said:

I docked a mk1-3 capsule to my station, and found an old mk1-2 and a big orange fuel tank. I thought the parts were changed - was it just the access to the old parts that was blocked?

All replaced parts are still available as seperate parts to not break any old vanilla craft. Those parts are hidden in the editor.

Are the files for old the engine sounds gone from the install or, like the legacy parts, are they kicking around and waiting to be switched back into use with config file editing or MM patch?

I don't think I'm going to be able to live with the new engine sounds. The jet engines now have an unpleasant whine and the rocket engines have no umph. 

Edited by Foxster

1 hour ago, Foxster said:

Are the files for old the engine sounds gone from the install or, like the legacy parts, are they kicking around and waiting to be switched back into use with config file editing or MM patch?

I don't think I'm going to be able to live with the new engine sounds. The jet engines now have an unpleasant whine and the rocket engines have no umph. 

With a quick glance, they're gone, they've been replaced by new versions with the same name, in both game version they're not accessible as WAV files, but are packaged in shared asset files.

25 minutes ago, Porky said:

Where are the kerbals in bottom right!?! and how do I go in first person view?

The Kerbal portraits for the Mk 1-3 pod will be fixed in 1.4.1 if I remember correctly, it was said on the forum somewhere.  There's no IVA for the pod yet but next week's update will fix it.

Edited by AngryBadger

Well I poked a bit at 1.4 and so far it seems glitchy (icons cut in half) and the graphical quality looks to have taken a significant step backward, the new reentry particle effect looks horrible esspecialy compared to what came before, also when zoomign out the rentry particly effect just suiddenly disapears, even if it was filling the whole screen before the tick oif the mousewheel that zooms out to the point where is it just gone. It seems like it could have benefited from a pre-release to catch some bugs and get some polish.

Just now, AngryBadger said:

The Kerbal portraits for the Mk 1-3 pod will be fixed in 1.4.1 if I remember correctly, it was said on the forum somewhere.  There's no IVA for the pod yet but next week's update will fix it.

ah thanks!

The new jet sounds are giving me an instant headache. They were better before. The whine on the goliath, panther, and whiplash is annoying now. Also, the afterburner sound is such a glorious thing to hear in person, but you can't hear it at all on the whiplash. Needs some lower frequencies in there. The panther afterburner almost sounds like the engine is spooling down into a less powerful state and might even confuse novice players.

On 3/8/2018 at 9:25 PM, 5thHorseman said:

No they're going to foist the flawed 1.4 off on you too.

Every change breaks somebody's workflow. You are quite literally the first person I've seen laud the old placement of the door. Other than it's too-high mass, that door was the only real reason I never used the pod.

Inserting relevant XKCD: https://xkcd.com/1172/

Edited by fourfa

@Raycrate,
 Yeah, the empty tank mass is incorrect for the dumpling. It's listed in the config file as .3375, should be .01375.
 While checking into this, I also noticed that the doughnut is way too light. Listed as .01, should be .0375.

I've reported it in the bug tracker.

Best,
-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

Guys... I'm stuck! :(

I've never updated KSP since first purchasing the game when it was 1.2, and now I want to try this 1.4 I don't know how to get it through Steam.

I tried to purchase it but was told I can't as I already have elements of the game on my computer. I tried to verify the files, hoping it would then give me the option to go for 1.4, but nope, it just verified 1.2.

So what do I do to get 1.4?

Thanks everyone.