Kerbal Space Program update 1.4 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

1 minute ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

So Is the Mk1-3 cockpit in stock or the expansion? (I'm holding out on updating until all this EULA crap is sorted out)

Its part of 1.4 which is stock, but they are patching it in 1.4.1/DLC for the IVA bug

Edited by viperwolf

10 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

Squad should use the part model switching feature to keep the old stock parts as an option for the new ones, instead of removing them.

They didn't remove them. They're still there and they're not entirely hidden either. They're still accessible under what I've come to call "advanced categories", for sandbox and any science/career save that has them unlocked.

On 9/3/2018 at 2:06 AM, Gilph said:

Hi,

Loading 1.4 stock with the Directx 11 command line causes all the parts in the editor to lose their textures. They are just a gray outline. If you select them to use, they appear in the VAB OK.

Fixed

I also have the same problem, how have fixed you?

Hello all,

I noticed that the reentry effects cause my ship to become almost transparent, so that I can see the effects behind the capsule as well as in front.  That shot earlier in the thread of the kerbal at Eve is basically what I'm seeing, just with a ship.  Has anyone else noticed this, or know how to make that return to normal?  

Edit: Nevermind, I see in another thread that this is not just me.  

Edited by Warruk

5 hours ago, Atkara said:

They didn't remove them. They're still there and they're not entirely hidden either. They're still accessible under what I've come to call "advanced categories", for sandbox and any science/career save that has them unlocked.

Last I checked they're still planning on removing them (I know they're still in game)

5 hours ago, Atkara said:

I think they specifically say in the parts section of their update summary that the old parts are still there for continuity; at least for now... but will be phased out at a later time.

I noticed that I turned off "Show Space Center Crew" and the Kerbals are gone, but the vehicles are still milling about?  ...was there another button or checkbox for those that I just forgot about?

3 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

Last I checked they're still planning on removing them (I know they're still in game)

it's a good use case for a simple mod to handle this. if we know exactly what parts are going to get replaced then it shouldn't be too hard to make a 'craft converter' that will automatically replace all such parts with compatible 1.4-onward equivalents. It might not be perfect (like if your symmetry for a mk1-2 pod uses radially mounted parts that go where the mk1-3 pod's hatch/ladder are) but it should be mostly good enough to update old craft files. perhaps even in such a way as to convert-and-copy when such a vessel is loaded in-game so that the player can just check over the converted craft without altering the original file.

Just now, wookiee_goldberg said:

it's a good use case for a simple mod to handle this. if we know exactly what parts are going to get replaced then it shouldn't be too hard to make a 'craft converter' that will automatically replace all such parts with compatible 1.4-onward equivalents. It might not be perfect (like if your symmetry for a mk1-2 pod uses radially mounted parts that go where the mk1-3 pod's hatch/ladder are) but it should be mostly good enough to update old craft files. perhaps even in such a way as to convert-and-copy when such a vessel is loaded in-game so that the player can just check over the converted craft without altering the original file.

It is kind of pointless if they end up removing the old parts. I've already got an MM patch that will re-enable the configs for the old parts, but if they remove the old parts instead, then you will have to reinstall the old parts as an entirely new mod. Maybe there's a case to be made for that. But I would be a lot happier if they just implemented the old parts into the model switcher for the new parts.

4 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

1 minute ago, XLjedi said:

I think they specifically say in the parts section of their update summary that the old parts are still there for continuity; at least for now... but will be phased out at a later time.

It's in the changelog. I've seen it myself too -which is why I've backed up the said parts, for whenever they go ahead with this.

10 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

It is kind of pointless if they end up removing the old parts. I've already got an MM patch that will re-enable the configs for the old parts, but if they remove the old parts instead, then you will have to reinstall the old parts as an entirely new mod. Maybe there's a case to be made for that. But I would be a lot happier if they just implemented the old parts into the model switcher for the new parts.

no i mean altering the text of the .cfg file to change from a mk1-2 to a mk1-3, or a Rockomax Brand Decoupler to a TD25, etc. That way the resultant craft would be using only current-era parts and therefore futureproofed.

Downloaded 1.4.

Okay, let's see here.

• 2.5-m tanks have limited reskins.
  • Nodes on the donut are changed, but we have two new radial-only balloon tanks.
  • My old version of Tweakscale is broken but I'm sure a new version is out. Now if I can only remember how it installs...
  • The new 2.5-m capsule is nice. The old one was way too heavy.
  • New fairing color options are cool and all, but what's wrong with plain white? And I really wish we had the option for fairings to come apart without shredding.

4 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

They've had a "clamshell deploy" option for a few releases now. I want to say 1.2? It might be under advanced tweakables.

WAIT WHAT

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS

I use advanced tweakables, so...if I have been missing this for all this time I feel VERY stupid.

48 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Just tested it.

This is...the best thing ever.

Makes you wonder what other little nuggets are unknown.  I only found out recently that you can rename craft directly from the Tracking Station, including debris. :D

(You select a vessel, or debris, from the list on the left, open the vessel info app button in the bottom right corner, and double-click the vessel title in the orange bar and a "Rename Vessel" dialog box will pop up.  No clue how long this was available, but a Twitch streamer pointed it out to me in 1.3.1 a month ago)

Edited by Raptor9

38 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Just tested it.

This is...the best thing ever.

And also I can turn off those damnable interstage nodes! How did I not know this?

Okay, new Tweakscale is back up and running, and it works with the new reskinnable tanks. Unfortunately Tweakscale does not function on the new R-series tanks, and it is broken on the old Donut tank. That sucks.

I really love those tanks, too.

The collision box is fixed on the new donut tank, though! Collision boxes are correct on all the new decouplers and separators, too...so we've got Atlas!

There's a new telescope part......