Kerbal Space Program update 1.4 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

The Mk3 crew capsule has roll, pitch, yaw, and X-Y translation thrusters, but no Z-axis translation thrusters. Of course you can easily enough orient normal to your prograde and then use X-Y translation to thrust prograde or retrograde. But most players will need a couple of linear thrusters for docking maneuvers.

Edited by sevenperforce

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

The Mk3 crew capsule has roll, pitch, yaw, and X-Y translation thrusters, but no Z-axis translation thrusters. Of course you can easily enough orient normal to your prograde and then use X-Y translation to thrust prograde or retrograde. But most players will need a couple of linear thrusters for docking maneuvers.

Actually, per the traditional engineering Right-Hand Rule, the new capsule has rotational and Y-axis/Z-axis thrusters. X-axis is the longitudinal axis.

The net result of the changes in the new capsule is that you can have a very efficient design with just one set of four traditional RCS quads back along your service module/final stage, situated roughly around the stack CoM. That quad handles all translation (forward/aft) movement along any axis with just a tiny bit of assistance from the capsule RCS to avoid unwanted rotational coupling. 

Prior to this, for a properly balanced RCS setup, you'd typically want two sets of four quads - one set each at the forward and aft ends of your service module.

It's accurate to the Apollo CM, which used its internal RCS to orient for re-entry only.  Otherwise the CM thrusters were off, and the Service Module quads handled everything by themselves.

Edited by fourfa

30 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

Actually, per the traditional engineering Right-Hand Rule, the new capsule has rotational and Y-axis/Z-axis thrusters. X-axis is the longitudinal axis.

You'll never change me! Physicists with longitudinal Z-axes forever!

30 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

The net result of the changes in the new capsule is that you can have a very efficient design with just one set of four traditional RCS quads back along your service module/final stage, situated roughly around the stack CoM. That quad handles all translation (forward/aft) movement along any axis with just a tiny bit of assistance from the capsule RCS to avoid unwanted rotational coupling. 

Prior to this, for a properly balanced RCS setup, you'd typically want two sets of four quads - one set each at the forward and aft ends of your service module.

Yeah, very nice.

I'm sure people will do a pair of linear thrusters keyed to fore/aft translation only, near the nose. Then your main engine can be used for forward translation.

10 hours ago, viperwolf said:

I ve noticed sense the update, suddenly i started getting the 5 second stutter. Like you count 5 secs and a it will do a slight stutter, anyone remember what caused that? I have more than enough PC to handle the game.

It's normally garbage collection: Something's frequently allocating temporary memory. The old GUI system was often a culprit. Some mods still use it. Usual advice applies: If you're using mods, remove them one by one until the issue stops happening, then once you've identified a candidate, try adding it to a clean stock install to see if you can reproduce it, then notify the modder.

6 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

What is mesh switching? Just the reskins, or something else?

Also, I just discovered the new advanced tab that allows you to reskin all your parts at once. Only a couple of options at present though.

mesh-switching like multiple-choice part models, but so far only really applies to MH parts. See this video at 10:15 

I´m a bit cunfused about the differences between the Drymass of these two tanks (Dumpling and Doughnut). For example, i added the R-4 Dumpling Tank to the Satellite Probe and you see, how mutch DeltaV you lose. Is this my mistake or is this a wrong Drymass of the R-4? 

wwPE3ze.png

I'm generally satisfied with the update, with one major exception.

Those godawful jet engine sounds. Especially the ramjet.

Previously, ramjets had this deep, throaty roar that hinted at power behind the source of the sound. Not just that but when the engine was about to flame out due to altitude, the sound changed into this duller, almost washed-out sound (as if you ran the engine sound file through lossy encoding or something like that) that got deeper and quieter the closer the engine came to flaming out.

Now, though, the sound of the engine itself is overlaid by this drone that's high-pitched enough to tear into your eardrums but at the same time not high-pitched enough to not be annoyingly monotonous. Not just that, but now the drone keeps going full-blast until a second after engine flameout, so now it's impossible to tell when the engine is about to shut down by sound. It's absolutely horrible and the moment a mod comes up to revert it, I'm taking it because by all that is holy, I simply can't stand the new sound.

Additionally, something's up with the color scheme display in the VAB/SPH's advanced parts listing: the button that's under the subassembly one is missing an icon (low-res black circle is displayed) and text (seems to be a localization error, tooltips something like #loc_1248612481 when moused over). I'm using the game in English, so I don't know what the problem is.

11 minutes ago, McFlyever said:

I´m a bit cunfused about the differences between the Drymass of these two tanks (Dumpling and Doughnut). For example, i added the R-4 Dumpling Tank to the Satellite Probe and you see, how mutch DeltaV you lose. Is this my mistake or is this a wrong Drymass of the R-4? 

It will be fixed in tomorrow's 1.4.1 update:

On 3/6/2018 at 7:47 PM, fourfa said:

R-11 'Baguette' holds 24 LF and weighs 0.3038t, but R-4 'Dumpling' holds 10 LF and weighs 0.4475t?

On 3/6/2018 at 8:24 PM, RoverDude said:

np.  And yeah, the dumpling should have a dry mass of 0.01375 - this is being sorted in the 1.4.1 update.

45 minutes ago, Fraktal said:

I'm generally satisfied with the update, with one major exception.

Those godawful jet engine sounds. Especially the ramjet.

Agreed. I tried the Pather yesterday. It's terrible.... There is a down spooling sound when you switch mode, as you go faster. It feels totally unrealistic and cheap toy-like.

Rocket engines a a slightly better though, but I'd hoped for more impressive sounds... Squad should hire a good sound designer. Check Subnautica for a fantastic sound design.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:59 AM, Dux Aquila said:

I also have the same problem, how have fixed you?

hmmm, maybe I didn't.  It came back. I may have made a mistake in editing my shortcut and thought it was fixed.

Mmmmm....so far im still on 1.3.1 and holding off of updating due to the mish-mash of positive-negative comments ive been reading in this thread.

Got nothing to do with the 10 or so mods I use that will need updating, I can play with stock quite happy but it does feel to me quite a raw update in lue of MH.

Maybe im wrong to not update just yet but I do trust the comments typed, all of them, good and bad.

Either way, KSP still rocking my gaming world so I guess it doesnt matter either way.

18 hours ago, viperwolf said:

I ve noticed sense the update, suddenly i started getting the 5 second stutter. Like you count 5 secs and a it will do a slight stutter, anyone remember what caused that? I have more than enough PC to handle the game.

Oh no, please tell me this is not a stock install. I  was hoping they fixed that stutter sooooo bad. Anyone else still has this issue? (i havent dared to check myself just yet)

30 minutes ago, Warzouz said:

but that's KW Rocketry sounds, IIRC

Sadly, not even close. Not enough of those sharp cracks and low pitched rumble that shadows them with amplitude pulses.

BTW it is also used in RealPlume.