Kerbal Space Program update 1.4 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

I'm trying to put together a mission to Duna, but every time I try fitting either SP-L or SP-W photovoltaic panels to the vessel, when I get into orbit and try deploying them, I get a message that they're broken!  When I test them on the launchpad they work OK, and I've never seen this before 1.4.

Any ideas guys?  Thanks.

8 minutes ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

I'm trying to put together a mission to Duna, but every time I try fitting either SP-L or SP-W photovoltaic panels to the vessel, when I get into orbit and try deploying them, I get a message that they're broken!  When I test them on the launchpad they work OK, and I've never seen this before 1.4.

Any ideas guys?  Thanks.

If those are the uncased/non-retractable versions, they're being ripped off your craft during ascent. You need to encase them in a fairing or switch the retractable versions.

1 hour ago, LameLefty said:

If those are the uncased/non-retractable versions, they're being ripped off your craft during ascent. You need to encase them in a fairing or switch the retractable versions.

Oh these are the retractable ones, and in addition they're in behind a fairing until they leave Kerbin's atmosphere.  I actually think this may be a bug.

Edited by The Flying Kerbal

13 minutes ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

Oh these are the retractable ones, and in addition they're in behind a fairing until they leave Kermin's atmosphere.  I actually think this may be a bug.

Yeah they should not do that, I noticed when i have parachutes behind fairings they will overheat. They still work once they cool off, However i thought the fairing was suppose toprotect everything under it.

Edited by viperwolf

There does seem to be something wrong with all panels that have to be extended to operate.  I've just tried some which aren't retractable, and again they were broken during the flight through the atmosphere.

1 hour ago, viperwolf said:

Yeah they should not do that, I noticed when i have parachutes behind fairings they will overheat. They still work once they cool off, However i thought the fairing was suppose toprotect everything under it.

I think you may be on to something here.  Even though in this test flight, the panels weren't protected in their own case, they were still tucked inside a fairing, and when I went to deploy them, it looked to all intends and purposes like they had been damaged in a similar way as to what happens when they hit atmosphere.

In this flight I flew straight up, and as slowly as possible so as to cut down any heating punching through the atmosphere to an absolute minimum.  Not only did I not generate any heating effects, I didn't even create the white contrails which precedes these normally, yet still I had damaged panels behind the fairing when I reached space.

I can't remember this happening in 1.2, I never played 1.3 so can't comment on it.  I do hope the developers are aware of this issue and try to resolve it.

Thanks for answering folks.

Edited by The Flying Kerbal

1 hour ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

There does seem to be something wrong with all panels that have to be extended to operate.  I've just tried some which aren't retractable, and again they were broken during the flight through the atmosphere.

I think you may be on to something here.  Even though in this test flight, the panels weren't protected in their own case, they were still tucked inside a fairing, and when I went to deploy them, it looked to all intends and purposes like they had been damaged in a similar way as to what happens when they hit atmosphere.

In this flight I flew straight up, and as slowly as possible so as to cut down any heating punching through the atmosphere to an absolute minimum.  Not only did I not generate any heating effects, I didn't even create the white contrails which precedes these normally, yet still I had damaged panels behind the fairing when I reached space.

I can't remember this happening in 1.2, I never played 1.3 so can't comment on it.  I do hope the developers are aware of this issue and try to resolve it.

Thanks for answering folks.

I'm not seeing this. I launched a simple capsule on a throttled-down Kickback to ~250km: https://imgur.com/a/f9CJ0

(In the picture I already deployed the fairing, just to show construction; in my tests the fairing stays in place until Kickback burnout.) The retractable panels inside the service bay and the two mounted on the Oscar tanks deployed fine. Images of your craft will surely help.

(This really should be in the bug report forum).

29 minutes ago, frog352000 said:

Kerbal Engineer works absolutely fine with 1.40. I'm not sure about science relay.

I have also had no problems with KER on 1.4, but it's a fresh KER installation over a totally clean copy of 1.4.

If you upgraded to 1.4 from a previous version, KER will try to use the existing settings in GameData\KerbalEngineer\Settings, which may not work in 1.4. Maybe try deleting the settings after copying them somewhere safe, and see if it works?

Edited by JWag
clarity

4 minutes ago, viperwolf said:

anyone know what time the DLC will drop?

For what was told to me, and it is just a suposition, somewhere during Das Valdez steam 

DX8vgIoUQAEDodw.jpg:large

Or maybe during the squadcast with the great Scott Manley

Edited by Devnull.13

2 hours ago, Devnull.13 said:

For what was told to me, and it is just a suposition, somewhere during Das Valdez steam 

will that be on youtube or twitch, the das caldez stream?

Edited by viperwolf

4 minutes ago, Devnull.13 said:

Twitch maybe? The Red munchkin Last night was on Twitch 

I found the Twitch thing, thank you

2 minutes ago, genbrien said:

said around noon EDT

Ah thank you for that, I could not find a time for it.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/MakingHistoryExpansion?src=hash           

For anyone else wondering

Edited by viperwolf

1 minute ago, viperwolf said:

Ah thank you for that, I could not find a time for it.

It was said in the chat maybe 15min ago, easily missable.

but it was not a defenitive answers, so I guess +/- some hours but target is in 6:40

8 hours ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

Even though in this test flight, the panels weren't protected in their own case, they were still tucked inside a fairing, and when I went to deploy them, it looked to all intends and purposes like they had been damaged in a similar way as to what happens when they hit atmosphere.

Check when exactly are they damaged. It happened to me, that solar panels were broken by a fairing during it's separation.

Am i alone in seeing this update as a bit of a disappointment, i would have thought the makers would have at least tried a bit more on the parts and GUI . For instance.

1. Still crappy 10 actions available with no option to name them.

2. No new nose cones or such like for fuel tanks.

And so on....

Considering it got released with a glaring bug on the cockpit which didnt allow seeing any kerbals on board, (seriously, how the hell could someone miss that during testing.) Im not too impressed with it. It seems to me that the update been released with the expection of modders to continue to fill in the gaps and missing pieces which should really be in the game already. 

11 minutes ago, Bionic bulldog said:

Am i alone in seeing this update as a bit of a disappointment, i would have thought the makers would have at least tried a bit more on the parts and GUI . For instance.

The new parts are in the DLC and after 5/6 years of free updates it does not shock me