Kerbal Space Program update 1.4 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

On 13/03/2018 at 3:22 AM, wookiee_goldberg said:

got a sample craft file?

SIGH... sometimes you just have to throw up your hands and admit you're an idiot.

Take me for example, shouting my mouth off and cursing all developers with pain and misery for the next ten generations of their offspring for messing up solar panels; I mean it couldn't be my fault, right?

So it turns out that it was those danged fairings that were causing the problem, when I popped them they were slamming into the panels and ripping them apart as they were being jettisoned. :blush:

In my defence, they weren't doing it when I tested them on the launchpad, they would fall harmlessly off and the panels would be left intact.  And it was bad luck that I was always deploying them on the dark side of Kerbin, so it wasn't possible to see it happening in flight.  Not until I timed a test launch so I could see the fairings being deployed on the light side of the planet was I finally able to suss out what the problem was.  The fix was simply to up the ejection force, so now all's good!

So thanks to everyone who tried to help with this and apologies for wasting all your time guys.

39 minutes ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

WOW!!  Thanks very much, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for, really appreciate this!

Well I hope it works anyway. I've no doubts about the "add this to stuff" one, but I'm only "very sure" that the patch will work.

4 hours ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

In my defence, they weren't doing it when I tested them on the launchpad, they would fall harmlessly off and the panels would be left intact.  And it was bad luck that I was always deploying them on the dark side of Kerbin, so it wasn't possible to see it happening in flight.  Not until I timed a test launch so I could see the fairings being deployed on the light side of the planet was I finally able to suss out what the problem was.  The fix was simply to up the ejection force, so now all's good!

No worse than what I've done ten thousand times...  Put the "deploy solar panels" action in the spacebar action group.

A better fix in my experience (YMMV as always) is to put the solar panels as low down on the stage/payload as possible, giving the maximum time for the fairing to travel horizontally far enough to clear the panels.  That way I don't have to keep remembering to jigger with the ejection force.  It also helps to keep the fairing as small as reasonably possible.

2 minutes ago, maceemiller said:

So ive updated to 1.4.1, got MH as well....cant understand why so many people are moaning.....both are brilliant.....

Agreed...but there's a lot of satisfaction to be had in nitpicking some minor issue. 

1 hour ago, maceemiller said:

So ive updated to 1.4.1, got MH as well....cant understand why so many people are moaning.....both are brilliant.....

Not running MH yet, but 1.4.1 seems really solid so far. Even running dev MJ and USI MKS.

24 minutes ago, maceemiller said:

Lol...I guess :)

There is currently around 60 unique bugs reported on the bug tracker for this version, around 6 are high/critical. 

If you haven’t ran into bugs, you’re not paying attention lol. 

Edited by MechBFP

I had my first real hour of 1.4.1 gameplay today. Here are some things I've noticed/want to give feedback about (not ordered in any way):

• As basically everyone has already seen, the reentry effects are kinda broken.
  • The game FPS are more consistent throughout situations, but are lower than 1.3.1 almost everywhere.
  • It would be good to make the black lines of the 2.5m tanks thicker so that they match the ones of the Twin-Boar engine.
  • I would also like to see a white version of all 2.5m tanks in the game. I'm not a fan of the black lines for my upper stage, as seen in my most recent "What did you do..." post.
  • The decouplers are really nice. They are small and don't disrupt the coloring of rockets like they used to . However, they are a little hard to spot for the same reason. (I still prefer them over the old ones).
  • I'm also a huge fan of the new Mk 1-3 capsule. The fact that it has RCS thrusters built in can surely be helpful in some situations.
  • Space stations don't return to their original name once I undocked my vessel from it. It still had the vessel name afterwards and was also marked as a vessel instead of a station, both had to be manually corrected.
  • Has something changed about the way markers like Ap, Pe, AN, DN are drawn on the screen? Their movements are really stuttery now, I can't remember then being this way in 1.3.1
  • The new "Launch Sites" markers are moving a bit delayed. Try quickly moving your camera in map mode.
  • While we're at it, the same marker seems to be dependent of vessels movement in some way. Whenever I rotated the ship around the navball I always noticed the marker "shaking" around the map instead of staying were it's supposed to be. Other markers are completely unaffected by this, strangely.

48 minutes ago, Delay said:

Space stations don't return to their original name once I undocked my vessel from it. It still had the vessel name afterwards and was also marked as a vessel instead of a station, both had to be manually corrected.

Did you properly set the naming priority in the VAB?  I haven't played much with this feature, but properly setting that priority strikes me as being the key to getting it all to work.

1 minute ago, DerekL1963 said:

Did you properly set the naming priority in the VAB?

The docking vessel has a priority of 10; I left it at default. I put my station into orbit when 1.4 wasn't out yet, so it doesn't have this feature.

1 minute ago, Delay said:

The docking vessel has a priority of 10; I left it at default. I put my station into orbit when 1.4 wasn't out yet, so it doesn't have this feature.

Ah.  You've crossed the streams.  That can cause problems in and of itself.

1 hour ago, Gidreess said:

Same with win7

Try adjusting your display resolution size in the Graphics settings.  I had this issue too with 1.4.1, and was running my Win10 laptop at 3200x2000.  For unrelated issues, I had changed my resolution in the game down to 1920x1080.  Not only did it fix the top row of icons getting cut off in VAB, but I also started getting much better performance in the game in general by using the lower resolution.

I had also reduced the UI Scaling (needed it at max for the 3200x2000 display resolution), so that could have had an impact as well.

Edited by djr5899
additional content added.

1 hour ago, MechBFP said:

There is currently around 60 unique bugs reported on the bug tracker for this version, around 6 are high/critical. 

Just because someone decided that earning too much science is Critical does not makes it an actual critical bug... 

Most user overestimate their bugs priority. 

Just now, sarbian said:

Just because someone decided that earning too much science is Critical does not makes it an actual critical bug... 

Most user overestimate their bugs priority. 

True, critical might be too high, but high is definitely appropriate according to the priority table in the bug tracker. 

However since it completely ruins the point of the career game, I would say that makes a large section of the game unplayable (or not worth playing). 

Been playing MH for about 3/4 hours. Started a new career mode game. I have not seen one thing yet which stuck out as a bug. The game also runs reasonably smoothly compared to what I remember of 1.2. Then again I am not actively looking for bugs but just playing the game. 1.4.1 looks stable and good for me.

I've just installed 1.4.1 and gave it a quick look in the VAB and... the first fairing option now is totally blank!.. This... is... BEAUTIFUL!.. no, this is WONDERFUL!!!

No more rings, nor more slots, it's just awesome.

Thank you so much for all your work guys! I can't express all the fantasy I'm in right now (:D) and that thanks to you.

Again, thanks, thanks, thanks!

(It's like a dream)

2 hours ago, MechBFP said:

Im playing a game....obviously I dont take it as seriously as some....its a game.....on a computer....just a game. As much as I love KSP, its not real life....for me, so what if the "bugs" are there....do I really care? Will these bugs change my real life with my wife and child? ....nope, not at all. I'll keep paying for any future DLC because I love this......game.....KSP is amazing on any format, on any version, on any patch......

Bugs....I dont care for them, that's my outlook....ive played worse games with bigger bugs :)

Edited by maceemiller

hi Guys. sorry my english is not very good. I have a question. i did build a rocket with lander. I protected this with a fairing. but I can not use this fairing, although it is supposedly already triggered. What can I do about it? because reloading does not work anymore

Edited by XxSteffighterxX

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:19 AM, jrolson said:

+++ Improvements
* Jet Engine Sounds.

giphy.gif

Just tested the jets. Much better. My rage is soothed.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:19 AM, jrolson said:

* Re-introduced side piping to the Rockomax-64

Unexpected but also welcome! And proof that they care about even the little things. :) Speaking of the little things, the ugly yellow and white fairing is now just white.

I've gotta say, well done, SQUAD! Most game devs would ignore the little complaints like "the new jets sound awful" but you heard us and you addressed the problem. Kudos to you! Cannot stress enough how impressed and pleased I am with you guys.