Kerbal Space Program update 1.4 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

4 hours ago, XxSteffighterxX said:

hi Guys. sorry my english is not very good. I have a question. i did build a rocket with lander. I protected this with a fairing. but I can not use this fairing, although it is supposedly already triggered. What can I do about it? because reloading does not work anymore

You can try to deploy the fairing by right-clicking on it, or you may have accidentally staged past it, in which case it's an inert part because it's no longer part of your current ship. You might be able to switch to it with the square bracket keys ] and [, then deploy it, then switch back. 

But I'm not actually clear about what your situation is. :) 

7 hours ago, Delay said:

Is there a way to use fairings to cover up the black-white color design of the tanks?

It should be, now it also depends of how "much" of the tank you want to cover.

This kind of Long March 5 is nearly covered:

b2jjgkM.png

Alas, they are only covering the small sized tanks, the hideous X200 were still visible at the center of the core.

Another solution could be to leave just the minimum space between the tanks and the fairings, just like here for this Soyuz-wannabe:

V9ypgIf.png

Here you can be sure that the tanks will not be visible, but... it also is deforming a bit the bottom shape of the model, alas.

The third solution is to build the fairing offset from the part you want to cover, to close it, then to move it back to the center of the tank you want to cover, like here:

IzziYNd.png

However, it can also change the shape of the core. The best is to put a light angle toward the inside before closing it.

I will give it a try during the next week; there will be a lot of fuel tanks and decouplers to change with the new models.

Edited by XB-70A

Here's another thing I've noticed: Whenever I enter the main menu via game startup or exiting to main menu, or whenever I close the game through said menu, there is a massive, multiple seconds long freeze.

I'm essentially looking at the same frame for multiple seconds without being able to do anything. The entire menu theme played through before I got that back. I never encountered this in 1.3.1, does that happen to anyone else as well?

Edited by Delay

8 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Sie können versuchen, die Verkleidung durch Klicken mit der rechten Maustaste zu aktivieren, oder Sie haben sich versehentlich daran vorbeigeschaut. In diesem Fall handelt es sich um einen inaktiven Teil, da es nicht mehr zu Ihrem aktuellen Schiff gehört. Sie können möglicherweise mit den eckigen Klammertasten] und [darauf zugreifen und dann zurückschalten. 

Aber ich bin mir nicht sicher, was deine Situation ist. :) 

yes, click on the fairing it worked

Edited by XxSteffighterxX

18 hours ago, djr5899 said:

Try adjusting your display resolution size in the Graphics settings.  I had this issue too with 1.4.1, and was running my Win10 laptop at 3200x2000.  For unrelated issues, I had changed my resolution in the game down to 1920x1080.  Not only did it fix the top row of icons getting cut off in VAB, but I also started getting much better performance in the game in general by using the lower resolution.

I had also reduced the UI Scaling (needed it at max for the 3200x2000 display resolution), so that could have had an impact as well.

But I have resolution 1366x768...

2 hours ago, Gidreess said:

But I have resolution 1366x768...

Maybe try lowering the resolution a bit and see if that helps.  If you are using UI Scaling, maybe adjust that too.  Again, not definite that these will fix the issues, but messing around with these settings for other issues appeared to get rid of the chopped parts.  I haven't seen it since.

I'm still currently on 1.3.1. I'm nervous about updating cause I have the current game and mods running just the way I want (along with save games). Can I copy this entire KSP (currently in Steam) to a different Drive and play it separately from there independently from updating in Steam to 1.4.1? That way I could play 1.4.1 separately and in case something didn't work the way it did in 1.3.1, I would still have 1.3.1. If this is possible, how would Ckan work? Could I also have two Ckans? I wouldn't want any crisscrossing of one version saving to another version or ckan updating to another version.

Edited by MikeO89

7 minutes ago, MikeO89 said:

Can I copy this entire KSP (currently in Steam) to a different Drive and play it separately from there independently from updating in Steam to 1.4.1?

Yes. Many people do exactly that.

7 minutes ago, MikeO89 said:

If this is possible, how would Ckan work? Could I also have two Ckans? I wouldn't want any crisscrossing of one version saving to another version or ckan updating to another version.

You can tell CKAN about each install in File -> Select KSP Install, and it will manage them separately:

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f69

A short video about stock engine vibrations making the graphics going gaga. Apparently the new Unity does not like Krakentech.

Yes, I have scatterer installed but that's not the cause. One of my engines just blew up while typing this post. Then, this happened:

... the graphics return to normal. Weird, huh?

Edited by Azimech

I have been playing through a career mode save file on normal... oops...    No content mods...  First time that I have done so.     I am used to 2.5x scale mod, which makes things much harder, I see now.    Anyway lol I have maxed tech already, and have barely touched minmus or kerbal science points.   Just have a station above minmus  that gave me all the science that I needed to max everything out.     I built one above the Mun too, but have not even bothered landing on the Mun yet, as why bother....    The science alone from putting a station into orbit around the Mun gave me at least 2k science.    That with the 5k science i got from Minmus station after only having landed on two spots, gave me enough science to nearly max science tree out.  I have sent two probes out of system to the closest two planets to the Sun, but only got 300 or so science for that.    Perhaps Take Two could spend some time making an actual career mode, that informs you of difficulty before you start a vanilla play through.    Instead what we got was.......   Drum Roll please........   Missions!!!!!!!!!!!    Yes missions, do exactly nothing for base game play.   We did get a few more parts, yes....   Mods already did a great job of that task.      What seems to be lacking from this game is only in the career mode and overall scale of the universe.   Mods have covered the later well, but the former is really out of modding hands and if polished off could add so much dimension to this game that its not even fathomable to the Devs, apparently.   

TLDR :   Ksp is currently a AA game, for 40 USD.   DLC  Worth 3.50 USD.   KSP, has potential to be a AAAAA game  Worth 70 USD for base game.    On top of that if Take Two was smart, they would offer "cosmetic DCL"  for those who have extra money to spend on a game they love.    Updates should be done bi annually, to give modding community time to keep up, and all Updates should be major, adding AAA content into the game.    Take two has enough money to make this game into what it should be.     Will you take up the challenge, Take Two???

@srkk Most parts show the red drag arrows even when they are properly occluded.  Try turning on the aeroGUI (alt-F12 -> Physics -> display aero in action menus) and check the drag number.  However proper occlusion has been a very thorny problem in KSP's history and it has often needed small tweaks

Edited by fourfa
corrected checkbox name

@fourfa @srkk

I noticed this myself just now.  Kerbals on command seats inside fairings and service bays have drag. Checked "display aero in action menus" and it's there.

• I tested inside 1.25 fairings, 2.5 fairings and the same sized service bays. Yup. Draggy lads.
  • I did a limited test of normal parts inside the fairings etc and they seem to all have no drag as you'd expect.
  • Just to sanity check I reverted to 1.3.1 and as expected there's no drag on Kerbals in the same test situations

Maybe a bug, maybe by design. No Kerbal sardines for now.

One thing I still don't like about the parachutes is that they slow down your vehicle ludicrously quickly. You open them and not even a second later, your vehicle slowed down from over 100m/s to 10m/s. I mean, it's better than they were in .18, but still ridiculous. Especially bad when you have Kerbal passouts enabled and do a tourist contract; these tourists hold anything but a lot of gs.

And the personal parachutes for the Kerbals now behave the same way as the "real" parachutes in .18. They instantly slow the Kerbal down. Fortunately there don't seem to be passouts while in EVA.

14 hours ago, Skystorm said:

@Cheif Operations Director In the VAB/SPH in the upper right, the green Launch button has a small grey panel under it.

r7MNKwN.png

Mouse over that and it will let you select the launch site.

tgptaRG.png

Click the arrow on the right to launch from that site.

---------------Sprache erkennenAfrikaansAlbanischAmharischArabischArmenischAserbaidschanischBaskischBengalischBirmanischBosnischBulgarischCebuanoChinesisch (traditionell)Chinesisch (vereinfacht)DänischDeutschEnglischEsperantoEstnischFilipinoFinnischFranzösischGalicischGeorgischGriechischGujaratiHaiti-KreolischHaussaHawaiischHebräischHindiHmongIgboIndonesischIrischIsländischItalienischJapanischJavanischJiddischKannadaKasachischKatalanischKhmerKirgisischKoreanischKorsischKroatischKurdischLaotischLateinLettischLitauischLuxemburgischMadagassischMalaiischMalayalamMaltesischMaoriMarathiMazedonischMongolischNepalesischNiederländischNorwegischNyanjaPaschtuPersischPolnischPortugiesischPunjabiRumänischRussischSamoanischSchottisches GälischSchwedischSerbischShonaSindhiSinghalesischSlowakischSlowenischSomaliSpanischSuaheliSüd-SothoSundanesischTadschikischTamilTeluguThailändischTschechischTürkischUkrainischUngarischUrduUsbekischVietnamesischWalisischWeißrussischWestfriesischXhosaYorubaZuluDeutsch

but only in a new game or?
Edited by XxSteffighterxX