Kerbal Space Program update 1.4 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

1 hour ago, Dafni said:

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but is it possible to copy some of the new 1.4.1 and MH parts into an 1.3.1 install?

Thanks in advance

I imagine that would be against the new EULA. You'd probably find yourself tarred and feathered for the very thought of doing something simple like this. 

8 minutes ago, Foxster said:

I imagine that would be against the new EULA. You'd probably find yourself tarred and feathered for the very thought of doing something simple like this. 

Now really? Holy Kraken we came a long way. Not the KSP spirit that I got to know and love. But whatever. Thanks for the warning.

Speaking of the Kraken: This monster denied my attempts at docking to my space station twice before finally letting me dock. It even destroyed one of my solar panels!

This never happened in 1.3. But this is the first somewhat major bug I've discovered in 1.4.1.

2 hours ago, Dafni said:

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but is it possible to copy some of the new 1.4.1 and MH parts into an 1.3.1 install?

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't attempt it. From what little I understand, attempting something like this would invite a visit from many krakens, or just totally break your game.

Krakens!!!

AXDI319.png

Edited by Just Jim

On 3/20/2018 at 10:37 PM, XxSteffighterxX said:
---------------Sprache erkennenAfrikaansAlbanischAmharischArabischArmenischAserbaidschanischBaskischBengalischBirmanischBosnischBulgarischCebuanoChinesisch (traditionell)Chinesisch (vereinfacht)DänischDeutschEnglischEsperantoEstnischFilipinoFinnischFranzösischGalicischGeorgischGriechischGujaratiHaiti-KreolischHaussaHawaiischHebräischHindiHmongIgboIndonesischIrischIsländischItalienischJapanischJavanischJiddischKannadaKasachischKatalanischKhmerKirgisischKoreanischKorsischKroatischKurdischLaotischLateinLettischLitauischLuxemburgischMadagassischMalaiischMalayalamMaltesischMaoriMarathiMazedonischMongolischNepalesischNiederländischNorwegischNyanjaPaschtuPersischPolnischPortugiesischPunjabiRumänischRussischSamoanischSchottisches GälischSchwedischSerbischShonaSindhiSinghalesischSlowakischSlowenischSomaliSpanischSuaheliSüd-SothoSundanesischTadschikischTamilTeluguThailändischTschechischTürkischUkrainischUngarischUrduUsbekischVietnamesischWalisischWeißrussischWestfriesischXhosaYorubaZuluDeutsch

but only in a new game or?

You have to enable other launch sites in settings. The other launch sites will then be available in old saves.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:25 AM, Dafni said:

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but is it possible to copy some of the new 1.4.1 and MH parts into an 1.3.1 install?  Thanks in advance

v1.3 should not understand v1.4 parts that use techniques that don't exist in 1.3, like mesh switching to cycle through variants & textures. I think if those type of parts even loaded in v1.3 without modification, they'd be stuck in a single mode. 

I've no doubt the developers are working on various bugs & the 1.4 series will get better, just as previous major releases improved with patches over time.  

3 hours ago, basic.syntax said:

I've no doubt the developers are working on various bugs & the 1.4 series will get better, just as previous major releases improved with patches over time.  

That is true. Thank you. Just have to wait for another hotfix or two before we can really enjoy the new parts. Initially I was kinda hoping/expecting them to nail it the first time around this time. After all history tells us they required less and less hotfixes in the previous few versions: 1.0.5, then 1.1.3, then 1.2.2 and then 1.3.1.  But yeah, the trend is now definitely broken.

4 hours ago, basic.syntax said:

v1.3 should not understand v1.4 parts that use techniques that don't exist in 1.3, like mesh switching to cycle through variants & textures. I think if those type of parts even loaded in v1.3 without modification, they'd be stuck in a single mode.

True again. Would have been my assumption as well. For the record, I was only interested in parts that dont have new mechanics, like the new Apollo pod and the LEM pod.

6 hours ago, Dafni said:

True again. Would have been my assumption as well. For the record, I was only interested in parts that dont have new mechanics, like the new Apollo pod and the LEM pod.

The Expansion rocket-parts all load (mostly) fine in 1.3.
Parts using variants, will load a bit weirdly, as 1.3 doesn't know about Mesh-switches. Which will result in all variants loading at once.
Little very easy bit of Config editing and you can use those just fine as well.(though, none of the engines is gonna gave shrouds).
LEM and the apollo pod(stock one), should work absolutely fine without any editing required.
I've already Tried all of that, so I garantee, It works.

I also heavily doubt it would actually go against the EULA/I doubt anyone would legally pursue you for doing so. 
You aren't Illegally redistributing any licensed contend, just editing some stock configs.

Edited by GrandProtectorDark

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like all of my spaceplanes in 1.4.1 are underperforming compared to 1.3.1. Flown with the same profile, they don't seem to have the same accelleration and lifting capabilities.

My orange tank lifter which was specifically designed in 1.3.1 to take an orange tank (36t) to 80 km orbit, now struggles to take 16t to the same orbit.

Has anyone else noticed a difference in performance like this?

Hi all,

I know this has probably been asked a lot but I just can't find it.

Question: I have 1.3.1, now I want to play 1.4 with of course my previous games and mission continuing.
How can I install 1.4 "over" 1.3.1?

Do I install it in a new folder and kinda copy my old game saves into this new version or how do you do that?

Thanks for an answer or link in advance!

Chris

EDIT: Ok, I just went ahead and tried: This was even easier as I thought. Just install, it will find the old version anyway and upgrade it to 1.4. My saved games are still there and working :)

Edited by Bogey71

18 hours ago, pquade said:

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like all of my spaceplanes in 1.4.1 are underperforming compared to 1.3.1. Flown with the same profile, they don't seem to have the same accelleration and lifting capabilities.

My orange tank lifter which was specifically designed in 1.3.1 to take an orange tank (36t) to 80 km orbit, now struggles to take 16t to the same orbit.

Has anyone else noticed a difference in performance like this?

Okay, I *think* I have it figured out.

After some testing, I believe some Mk2 parts are now creating massively more drag than they used to.

I'd really like somebody else to test this in both versions.  My workhorse mid-sized (mk2) spaceplanes I used to use all the time in 1.3.1 now don't even seem to be able to make it to orbit in 1.4.1.

On 20.3.2018 at 8:37 PM, Just Jim said:

I wouldn't attempt it. From what little I understand, attempting something like this would invite a visit from many krakens, or just totally break your game.

Krakens!!!

AXDI319.png

Ponys and Cthulu... is that the mirror universe of KSP? Oo

19 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Ponys and Cthulu... is that the mirror universe of KSP? Oo

16 minutes ago, klesh said:

lol, don't forget the fedora.  Theres like 4 types of cringe in that pic.

Yeah... I don't want to derail this thread further, so I'll just say this...

Welcome to Emiko Station.... :wink:

Now back to our regularly scheduled program... lol...

19 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

What do you mean mirror?

I've spent many hours trying to concoct a good "Ponies in Space" logo for my missions ...

Well, I guess someone tried to beam you through an ion storm.

Edited by Temeter

On 3/18/2018 at 1:33 AM, Azimech said:

A short video about stock engine vibrations making the graphics going gaga. Apparently the new Unity does not like Krakentech.

Not just the engine vibrations. Whenever you have a vessel in flight or in space, and there is another vessel near max physics range, you get the same thing.

1 hour ago, Curveball Anders said:

What do you mean mirror?

I've spent many hours trying to concoct a good "Ponies in Space" logo for my missions ...

Kerbal Space Ponies is a mod...

https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/kerbal-space-ponies?gameCategorySlug=ksp-mods&projectID=242529

The Cthulhu artwork is my own...

As to why they are both in the Saga of Emiko Station... I'm sorry, but that information is classified NDA... lol...

Still playing 1.3.1, 'cause you know, mods, but enough mods have been updated enough for me to give 1.4.1 a try.  First impressions: 1. So far, so good. But:  2. When playing at a lower resolution than my desktop, which I do 'cause my PC is an old clunker, things are fuzzy, including text, which is downright blurry (Unity update? Is it still necessary to force d3d11? I am forcing it.)  3. The first, smallest little space engine that one gets (can't recall name) seems underpowered, or the physics have changed, or something. Had a devil of a time achieving orbit, had to give up on one of the gravity turn mods, and do it myself. I don't believe it's the fault of the mod, either. Something's just.....different.  Fins are different, too. Or something.  4. Boy, do I miss KER :D My fave, not nagging, I know it'll be updated. Other than that, enjoying the new colors, effects, and sounds. By Summer I prolly won't even miss 1.3.1. Peace.