Kerbal Space Program update 1.4 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

5 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

Not just the engine vibrations. Whenever you have a vessel in flight or in space, and there is another vessel near max physics range, you get the same thing.

I'm getting a fair bit of graphics glitching myself

Spoiler

Edited by DoctorDavinci

On 3/6/2018 at 4:17 PM, sh1pman said:

That’s some seriously cool stuff, but... I’d rather see stock delta-v and TWR readout than all of 1.4 and Making History stuff combined. 

Ditto!

On 3/6/2018 at 5:07 PM, AngryKitty said:

Not bad so far! The new parts are pretty, the new sounds are excellent, and it looks like rebuilding my go-to recoverable launcher (3-pax anywhere inside the Kerbin system) gained me an extra 400m/s of dV just by going to new parts. I like it.

I don't use many mods...KER works (but complains about version); so does StageRecovery. FMRS loads and seems to work but I haven't tried to use it specifically. KAC and Transfer Window Planner are broken.

So far so happy!

Asking the real questions.  KAC and KER are my only "must have" mods.  The Navball Docking Port Alignment indicator is right up there too.  Other stuff like Texture Replacer (Replaced) is just a "nice-to-have."

On 3/6/2018 at 9:29 PM, Yargnit said:

@RoverDude With the new decouplers/seperators, is there any chance we could get their colliders tweaked a bit for 1.4.1/MH (also the new 5m decoupler if it shares the same collider). In this picture you can see the 3.75m version of the decoupler/seperator on the left with it's collider, and the 1.25m on the far right. In the middle are two 1.25m parts (structural fuselage and doughnut tank) showing example colliders. It would be extremely helpful for advanced building techniques if we could get the decoupler/seperator colliders to be tweaked to do something more in-line with how the fuselage or doughnut's collders are. (Basically so the collider hugs the inside shape of the ring instead of only having the hollow square in the middle) This would, among other uses, allow for using them for portals to docking bays and so forth for orbital stations.

6DH5bCv.jpg

Much appreciated! <3

I never knew the toroidal tanks were actually hollow!  Has anyone used them for a hinges or bearings with 0.625 m parts?!

I have been inquiring on whether or not update 1.4 will be available for Kerbal Enhanced Edition on Xbox One console and the answer I have been getting is no. My question is why and will it ever be available on console? I would love to be able to have the new features stated above (especially the parachutes).

2 hours ago, Evan Kerman said:

I have been inquiring on whether or not update 1.4 will be available for Kerbal Enhanced Edition on Xbox One console and the answer I have been getting is no. My question is why and will it ever be available on console? I would love to be able to have the new features stated above (especially the parachutes).

I don't think it's a 'no - not ever' more like "not in the forseeable future".  The console edition is a few versions behind the PC for various technical, and other, reasons that i don't understand well enough to explain.

I would imagine that Squad would ideally like to have all platforms on the same version and able to use the MH expansion too, but infortunately that is just not an option.

On 3/30/2018 at 3:52 PM, HalcyonSon said:

I never knew the toroidal tanks were actually hollow!  Has anyone used them for a hinges or bearings with 0.625 m parts?!

Goodness, I didn't realize it, either.

Extra bonus Internet Points to the first person who successfully manages to build a linked chain of toroidal tanks by editing the save file or something.  :)

On 4/7/2018 at 7:23 PM, Snark said:

Goodness, I didn't realize it, either.

Extra bonus Internet Points to the first person who successfully manages to build a linked chain of toroidal tanks by editing the save file or something.  :)

I think using decouplers and offset would work pretty easily for that.  Doesn't seem like it would be useful for anything.

28 minutes ago, HalcyonSon said:

I think using decouplers and offset would work pretty easily for that.

Hey, not a bad idea.  The fact that they don't support surface attachment and have to be stack-attached is a little awkward, but here's an initial proof-of concept (just two links).  It worked!  :)

KpF3GpV.png

That was fun.

30 minutes ago, HalcyonSon said:

Doesn't seem like it would be useful for anything.

"Useful"?  Useful?

That which is beautiful... need not be utilitarian.  :P

Next challenge:  Use the convenient "colliders are turned off during timewarp" feature to manage to get a toroidal fuel tank stuck around a kerbal's neck.

"Sigh... Okay, Bill, what have you managed to do to yourself this time?"

Why do I get the feeling we're about to see someone create the Kerbal version of the "Titanic" at harbor with an anchor chain made from a bunch of linked toroidal fuel tanks just to make them "useful"?

1 hour ago, Skystorm said:

Why do I get the feeling we're about to see someone create the Kerbal version of the "Titanic" at harbor with an anchor chain made from a bunch of linked toroidal fuel tanks just to make them "useful"?

Yep, a ship where even the anchor chain is made out of rocket fuel.  What could possibly go wrong?

A couple of quick searches in the last week or so have proven fruitless so I'll ask it here, what is the 'hero' trait for Kerbals in the persistent file? If I remember right, it wasn't there in any of the 1.2 or 1.3 versions which are the earliest I played in. Is it there because of 1.4 or because of MH? Anyone know what it's about?

With a bit over 2,500 hours in game (Steam) and having gone through updates from 1.0 to 1.4.2 I just wanted to give a shout out to our mods and the Squad guys.

OuterPlanets and Kopernicus, the whole USI suite, Kerbal Planetary Base Systems, scatterer,  OPT Space Planes and Galileo88's and PoodMund's graphics mods make the game for me. You guys really take KSP to the next level.

It's never the build of a project, it's the maintenance. IMO the turn around on the mods to handle this update has been fantastic.

Just wanted to say thanks for all that you do.

@Ahres  Are you referring to the badS, veteran or hero flags?  I think badS and veteran have been around a while but hero may be relatively new.

KERBAL
{
	name = Jebediah Kerman
	badS = True
	veteran = True
	hero = True
}

Most of the other attributes were omitted for clarity.

Edited by Skystorm

@Skystorm, yep I'm asking about the "hero" flag. I know what badS and Veteran do but I don't recall ever hearing about a Hero one. 

Did you just make that code snippet or is Jeb's Hero really set to True? I didn't look at Jeb's in my file because he died in a plane crash a long time ago already haha. But my current hotshot pilot, Carson Kerman, has his Hero trait set to false. Just curious what it meant. 

@Ahres  That is a snippet from my current persistent.sfs file.  Jeb and the other veterans are all heroes in my current game, and I suspect they are by default at least in sandbox mode.  It appears that it was added in 1.4 and I suspect that it is related to Making History somehow.

Just checked. It's the same in my career persistent.sfs. The Original Four all have the hero trait, none of the other kerbals, even those for hire, have it. Still don't know what it's for though. 

Hello there. I, along with almost all of us, have been enjoying KSP 1.4. An amazing update, but I've been experiencing some BUGS and ISSUES with it. This is a chat for general 1.4/future update talk and/or bug problems.

My main problem is: I was building a Artemis-style Mun/Minmus SSTO, when all of a sudden, I couldn't select any parts. This is in science mode, so it wasn't like I didn't have a high enough spaceplane hangar, or enough funds for the craft. It just stopped working. I could drag the screen, select offset, re-root, etc... but actually applying any parts/selecting them was disabled. I hopefully am not being ignorant, and am pressing a button or doing something, bugt I have had the game for little under 2 months and haven't done better than a failed apollo-style Mun landing. I've restarted the game, checked what I was clicking, clicked harder and longer, but I couldn't do anything. This isn't just with my SSTO, I tried loading in some pre-built planes and designing a new one, but neither worked. Please help as soon as you can, thankyou|! :)

Spoiler
Spoiler

No spoiler, just don't know how to remove a spoiler marker. Sorry!