0.17 Update Video

RayneCloud

Somehow I don't feel first person fits the style at all. I guess it's just a matter of not using it but it seems like third person is just the way to go for the silly cartoony look of the game.

Somehow I don't feel first person fits the style at all. I guess it's just a matter of not using it but it seems like third person is just the way to go for the silly cartoony look of the game.

I can see the point but it is optional as in you can choose which to use if you don't like them you don't need to,l if you have ever played banjo and kazooie: nuts and bolts it is alot like KSP as for cartoony and make your own vehicle, you'd see even it has a first person view (though it gave me a headache due to FOV) but I personally think it would be cool especially for the space planes but it is supposed to go past just first person view, IVA's are planned and may allow for a lot of new things, though I have no idea what they will be since they are not going to be done in .17.

That makes no sense to me. There are very few games that I know of that are centered on (Atmospheric or space) flight that impose a third person-only view. Style has nothing to do with it the way I see it, it's a matter of what the game is / will be: A multi-genre simulator.

Immersion is important in this case. Take the slogan from older MFS titles, "As real as it gets." Other simulators like MFS and X-Plane or MCFS and IL-2 wouldn't be immersive in any way if they had a minimalistic HUD UI on a permament third person view.

As already said, there's also the functionality aspect to having the first person view through the IVA system. Even though KSP started in third person (It also started in 2D, then 3D on a flat chunk of land; the hint is progression and addition), I believe the first person view would be considered anyway, IVA system or not, simply because of the immersion it can bring.

[...] if you have ever played banjo and kazooie: nuts and bolts it is alot like KSP as for cartoony and make your own vehicle, you'd see even it has a first person view (though it gave me a headache due to FOV)

Well in Banjo-Kazooie there wasn't much first person action except for the Eggshooting. In Banjo-Tooie however there were these awesome parts, were Banjo would take Tooie like a rifle, changing into first person(shooting). Awesome games... KSP(stock) is alot harder though, and i'm not sure if the game is at all playable in first person. Probably depends on the Instruments provided. But hey, imagine if the implement stuff like walking around on your bridge checking radar, aiming your shrinkray at asteroids, launching probes towards Eve, or something like that. How awesome would that be!?!

Well in Banjo-Kazooie there wasn't much first person action except for the Eggshooting. In Banjo-Tooie however there were these awesome parts, were Banjo would take Tooie like a rifle, changing into first person(shooting). Awesome games... KSP(stock) is alot harder though, and i'm not sure if the game is at all playable in first person. Probably depends on the Instruments provided. But hey, imagine if the implement stuff like walking around on your bridge checking radar, aiming your shrinkray at asteroids, launching probes towards Eve, or something like that. How awesome would that be!?!

If you hit the right thumbstick it put you in first person if you wanted to use it :)

As one who has played flight sims in the past, first person will especially make sense for flying aircraft. Maybe not so much spacecraft, but flying an aircraft in first person is a lot more intuitive than third person.

I don't understand why you all want more focus on planes. There are so many plane simulators out there.

Squad didn't really focus on air/spaceplanes. The functionality was built into a pre-.13 version of KSP many months ago, to be used to make small fins to stabilize rockets. C7, at the time not yet a KSP Dev, did some experimenting and realized that the simple lift and drag model could be used to make larger wings. He released his famous C7 Aerospace mod, and the public response was so great that Harvester and the rest of Squad decided to include some spaceplane-specific features in the .15 update, most notably the Spaceplane Hangar and the atmospheric jet engines.

In short, because of the positive response, spaceplanes are now an integral part of KSP.

First:Hi all!

Second:

I, as a hardcore Orbiter pilot, felt in love with Kerbals in 1 moment. Absolutely amasing project. But, what i see now is typical for such projects, which are being sold long before full release state (Rise of flight is a good example). Simply said, i hope you guys will focus more on core elements like mechanics, parts, whole economic and meta layer than on eyecandy features, introductions to "Rise of flight-a-like" microtransactions and experiments with features that should be on the very last position in your "to-do" list.

Anyway, i bought KSP yesterday and had a lot of fun. Good work. keep it up!

Flight sims? Yes. Build-your-own-aircraft flight sims? No.

Well... If it is a proper simulator you can build the plane... :D

But in terms of build-your-own-aircraft-and-fly-it games (and thus much simpler), this is the first I've seen.

Well... If it is a proper simulator you can build the plane... :D

But in terms of build-your-own-aircraft-and-fly-it games (and thus much simpler), this is the first I've seen.

In X-Plane you can make your own, but its not easy and not as fun IMO.

Also,

"THE SHUTTLE", and the argument about space planes in KSP is ended

In terms of flying aircraft in KSP, the thing that bugs the aviator in my mind is that the physics for aircraft aren't correct. I'll be flying an aircraft and go to turn. But the plane will jerk in that direction and then I have to wait for the orbit prograde indicator on the NavBall to actually say I'm moving in that direction. Now I know this is a space sim, and that aircraft were added after C7's insanely successful Aerospace mod. Not having proper rovers for Mun and Minmus excursions, that can be fixed with mods (I'm not really one to download mods... something about them just doesn't feel right to me. I know I'm crazy), but I would be willing to bet that there aren't any mods that fix aircraft flight dynamics. And I do understand why the dynamics are how they are. The goal of the spaceplane hangar is to... make a spaceplane! Said air/spacecraft would achieve orbit. (Not that I've ever been able to use "orbit" and "spaceplane" in the same sentence in a positive manner...) The dynamics, for being wrong near ground level, are correct when it matters: up in space.

Is there a possibility of maybe introducing "proper" aircraft physics?