The Grand Parachute Discussion Thread

MaverickSawyer

21 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

How did you get that much range out of your chute? I couldn't get that far. :confused:

19 hours ago, Jarin said:

Gonna hazard a guess that picking up speed in dives and then climbing can play !!Fun!! with aerodynamics and you're getting limited infiniglide effects.

Actually all you need to do is  bind the kerbal movement to a joystick/controller then pitch up slightly consistantly. You can glide at 18-19m/s at roughly twice the default glide slope. If you pitch up too much you'll start to stall and will need to pitch down to gather speed, but ~18.5m/s is sustainable and massively extends your range. Just prepare for a slow ride. It took me nearly 45 minutes to land...

18 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

And at physics warp you have a significant danger of being shot off at the speed of light.

Oooh! Sounds familiar!

22 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

It would occasionally eject parachuting kerbals out of the solar system.... 

Guess I’m not the only one that fights against the wacko KSP/Unity physics engine.... 

"It had to happen eventually..."

image.jpg   ezgif-4-228ee91880.jpg   Problems.jpg

image.jpg

Spoiler

I really liked the clean low-text look, but I didn't want to mislead anyone. The three top pictures are various parachute glitchstates I've found, and sadly not much practical use besides making good pictures. The bottom one was quite tricky, involving staging kerbals while in their chairs, exploding their chairs, and letting them fall from the craft without touching/ragdolling on anything. I originally had them inside the jump plane, and while this worked for 2 or 3 kerbals I found I had much better luck putting them out on the wings for the big group shot. Why are they all parachuting at once from low altitude? 'Cause they crazy!

I suspect he set them to auto-deploy. Tweak the deployment pressure setting and the full deployment altitude to achieve the desired results.

I'm usually using standard-issue pressure and 5km altitude, myself, but that's just because I'm still playing around with the parachutes. :sticktongue:

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

Do the chutes auto open with certain parameters (freefall?) or did you have to click all of those guys to open the chutes? @Cunjo Carl

@MaverickSawyer is right that I had them set to autodeploy. Happily (I think) when you put a kerbal into a command chair, their parachute shows up in your rocket staging, which makes it quite easy to set a dozen kerbals to autodeploy all at once. The alternative is to right click each kerbal in a command chair and click deploy on each individually. In either case, the kerbals will pull their chutes as soon as they get out of their seats, but in order to have them all get out of their seats at once you need to resort to some.... pyrotechnic encouragement. ^_^

If you drop them above their deploy altitude, they'll all drop to precisely that altitude and open their chutes in unison. From here, if they were initially dropped going above ~50m/s they'll then glide in unison traveling the same direction, which would make for some nice looking video. Because you're not there to flare them all for landing, they'll tend to pop and spaghettify if they hit ground, but you can get them all to survive by aiming them at water. Just don't think about what happens to the parachutes!

Lastly, that glitch state I showed will occur if they have too much wind shear when they pop out, and can sometimes even just afflict specific kerbals on saving and reloading. It causes the parachute to not function properly, so those kerbals will drop like rocks. I've been finding that ~70-100m/s is a good speed for dropping them, and that if a kerbal winds up askew in their seat after a quickload they're done for! Best of luck parachuting your kerbals!

On 3/7/2018 at 6:13 AM, fourfa said:

Just putting this here in case anyone else is really dumb and missed it in the changelog...  The chute option only appears on Level 3+ kerbals.

Can confirm, EVA'd out of a jet expecting a chute option...  There was none.

12 minutes ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

just really hope command pods, seats and cockpits had eject option in the action group tab

Seconded.  I used to just pack in radial mount parachutes and a bunch of decouplers to physically lop off pieces of my plane so when things went south I'd just let the cockpit parachute to a landing.

• 4 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Kerbital said:

Can they be re-packed for repeated use like normal chutes?

Yes, they can... but only on the ground while not moving, so make sure you're SURE you want to cut that parachute loose before you do so. :P 

On 3/10/2018 at 7:54 AM, Sirius360 said:

you can board on a seat with the parachute. someone made a video about it:

(SNIP)

Good, now we just need this to be a stock feature without requiring glitchiness to use.

Paragliders will become commonplace, and don't even get me started on when MULTIPLE KERBALS GET ON THE SAME CRAFT.

Edited by Dobelong

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.