[1.4.2] Name Generator 1.2 - Generating Custom Kerbal Names Since 2018 (24/04/2018)

severedsolo

Name Generator

VXhIiLP.png

Fed up of the Kerman Family ruling the KSC? Want your Kerbals to have real names? Want to add your own names to your Kerbals? This may be the mod for you.

All kerbals that the game creates will be given a new name, both forename and surname. In total there are 8,788,806 possible combinations from the included files.

Names are taken from the 1999 US Census data here: http://deron.meranda.us/data/ this does of course mean that the names are going to be American names, but this is easily changed (see FAQ below).

FAQ

• I don't want my Kerbals to have American names / Add my own names. - No problem. You can add to or edit the name list by editing the files named surnames.txt male.txt or female.txt stored in the mods folder.
  • I still want my Kerbals to have the surname Kerman/ I want all my Kerbals to have the same surname - No problem. Just open up surnames.txt in the mods folder, delete all the lines, and type Kerman (or whatever) on the top line. Save the file. The mod will then assign your Kerbals the name "Kerman" (or whatever you've chosen)
  • Can I add new names via Module Manager?  - Unfortunately not. I really wanted to do this, but the ConfigNode loader wouldn't play ball when I asked it to load that many entries. You'll have to edit the files directly.
  • What about Jeb, Bob, Bill and Val - will their names be changed? - No. The mod specifically ignores Kerbals who are generated with the names Jebediah, Bill, Bob or Valentina Kerman
  • You are awesome - how can I support you? - A simple thanks is enough. Maybe like this post too. If you really want to do something, you could consider donating to me, there's a button below. While it won't directly go towards maintaining my mods, it may give me a little more motivation to make stuff like this.

License: MIT

Download Link: https://github.com/severedsolo/NameGenerator/releases

Source: https://github.com/severedsolo/NameGenerator

Donate to my coffee fund

downloads_wordmark_navy@2x.png

Edited by severedsolo

1 hour ago, Sokol_323 said:

I tried this mod. But I didn't understand how it works. Kerman's names are still on the list. If you turn on the cheat menu and try to generate a new kerbal, there are no new names.

How should this work?

If you've dropped it into an existing save then your existing Kerbals will probably keep their names. Wouldn't be too difficult to add an option that renames existing kerbals though will do that for the 1.4.1 release.

To answer your precise question: When a new kerbal is generated (ie when you get a new applicant in the Astronaut Complex) it will rename them. I didn't test via the debug menu, it's possible that using that menu doesn't fire OnKerbalAdded. If you want to "kick-start" it then clear out your existing applicants from the Astronaut Complex. Any new kerbals should then be renamed.

34 minutes ago, PocketBrotector said:

Is this substantially different from Kerbal Renamer?

Regardless, it is good to see folks coming to the table with alternative solutions to the problem of dull Kerbal names.

I didn't even realise that mod was a thing TBH, but it looks like Kerbal Renamer messes with all the stats. This mod will not change anything but the name.

I understand that the mod will not rename the "old" kerbal. But now I see the old names at all, including candidates. I thought that the "old" kerbals will retain their old names and new ones will be named differently. Well, I'll see how it works in the future.

I understand that the mod will not rename the "old" kerbal. But now I see the old names at all, including candidates. I thought that the "old" kerbals will retain their old names and new ones will be named differently. Well, I'll see how it works in the future.

Oh absolutely, that's the way it should work.

Due to an oversight on my part though it won't currently touch pre existing applicants. The new names should start to appear when new applicants generate. I just forgot to test existing saves. So what I'm saying is that's a bug, which I'll fix shortly.

45 minutes ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

is this works in 1.4?

No idea. Anecdotally every mod I've tried basically works in 1.4, so you might get lucky. Officially I'm not currently supporting 1.4 but when making history drops all my mods will be updated then.

Edited by severedsolo

On 12.03.2018 at 10:11 PM, severedsolo said:

Name Generator 1.0.1 Released

• All applicants will now be renamed on first load (thanks @Sokol_323).

Thank You! Good news.

Checked out the new version. That is all right. All candidates in kerbonaut have new names. It remains to figure out how to rename the "old".

And to make the translation to Cyrillic.:)

5 minutes ago, Sokol_323 said:

It remains to figure out how to rename the "old"

It's not difficult to rename the old ones, but that means writing a saving system (otherwise you'd get new names every time you start the game), which I didn't really want to do because this is meant to be super-lightweight.

9 minutes ago, Sokol_323 said:

And to make the translation to Cyrillic.:)

In theory it should be as simple as replacing the name files with ones written in Cyrillic. I assume that KSP supports it due to the Russian translation.

Not being from that part of the world myself, I wasn't that bothered about it, but if you want to come up with a list of names I'll be happy to port them into the release.

At the beginning of the use of fashion in my career was already 12 kerbonauts. And they all had some merit in my space program. Don't fire them from work now, just because their names aren't on that list? :rolleyes:

I now play in a career that is somewhat similar to the real NASA research. Well, maybe something to add from Russia. That's why English-speaking names suit me. Would just like to see them in Russian. About the list of real Russian names for this mod I think. I understand it won't be so difficult to replace the list. If I succeed, I will try to provide this list for compilation into mod.

Thank you again.  I really like this version of the game (and already tired everywhere only Kermans).:)

Is also an option.

I was thinking that the use of Russian names and surnames will have a problem. The matter is that in English both men's and women's surnames have no declension. Therefore, for example, John Smith and Gina Smith surname will sound the same: Smith. In Russian, women's names are inclined and sound a little different. For example, the male name Peter Petrov, and the female is Maria Petrova. If correct Russian surnames are used, it will be necessary to make two separate lists of surnames for men and women and to register correct dependence on the choice of a name on gender basis.

If correct Russian surnames are used, it will be necessary to make two separate lists of surnames for men and women and to register correct dependence on the choice of a name on gender basis.

New release up to support this - I've added some new files specifically for russian names, which if it decides to use them will select the gender-specific surname. At the moment those lists are empty, in which case it will fall back on using the American names (don't delete those files if you aren't using them, just leave them empty, or it will throw an exception).

Name Generator 1.1 Released

• Added support for gender specific surnames (ie Russian)

KSP 1.3.1 only - 1.4.1 seems to have broken the renaming method I use.

3 hours ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

btw, other than using american names, how about we use stock names with kerbalized world surnames? (Kermanov, Kermady, Kerbolyov, etc etc)

Write me a list and I'll put it in :) actually, TBH I might just start holding a list of different name sets that you can switch in and out at will. Or give you the option of which list to load on a new save.

3 hours ago, severedsolo said:

See bug report you raised where I have put details of how to fix your issue with 1.4.1. There was a change to the GameEvents. You need to change appropriately in order for the rename to occur AFTER the kerbal is created.

42 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

See bug report you raised where I have put details of how to fix your issue with 1.4.1. There was a change to the GameEvents. You need to change appropriately in order for the rename to occur AFTER the kerbal is created.

I saw that, thank you. I'll try it a bit later and close the report down assuming it works

5 hours ago, severedsolo said:

New release up to support this - I've added some new files specifically for russian names, which if it decides to use them will select the gender-specific surname. At the moment those lists are empty, in which case it will fall back on using the American names (don't delete those files if you aren't using them, just leave them empty, or it will throw an exception).

Name Generator 1.1 Released

• Added support for gender specific surnames (ie Russian)

Write me a list and I'll put it in :) actually, TBH I might just start holding a list of different name sets that you can switch in and out at will. Or give you the option of which list to load on a new save.

Wow! You're just incredibly cool! Many thanks! I'm going to use it.:cool:

I now know what will be my next career in this game!:rolleyes:

Something's not right....

Installed the mod, made a list of Russian names and surnames. And get here is this:  https://imgur.com/f67YoKT

Then I remove the file with Russian names and leave only the English names (but I rewritten some of them in Cyrillic). And that's what we see again: https://imgur.com/yYzhouJ 

But now only the original list of fashion:  https://imgur.com/CvbsUJk

It seems all right, but Jeb and the company got new names. I can't figure out where the problem is.

Edited by Sokol_323

On 20/03/2018 at 7:26 AM, Sokol_323 said:

Something's not right....

Installed the mod, made a list of Russian names and surnames. And get here is this:  https://imgur.com/f67YoKT

Then I remove the file with Russian names and leave only the English names (but I rewritten some of them in Cyrillic). And that's what we see again: https://imgur.com/yYzhouJ 

But now only the original list of fashion:  https://imgur.com/CvbsUJk

It seems all right, but Jeb and the company got new names. I can't figure out where the problem is.

Sorry I've only just seen this

For the first problem, it's an encoding issue. Encoding the files to Unicode in notepad (or more specifically UCS2-LE-BOM in Notepad++) will make it work (the files were encoded to ANSI by default which doesn't support Cyrillic).

The second one is (half) a bug. The mod is literally looking for the english names "Jebediah Kerman" etc, the russian names won't be filtered. I've made a new file called "forbiddenNames" which you can add the russian (or whatever) equivalents to.

Also, the folder was getting pretty cluttered with all these text files so I've changed the folder structure and the name lists will now be stored in their own directory.

Before I release this - would anyone massively complain if I did a 1.4.1 only release?

fIvDRK2.png

Edited by severedsolo

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/03/2018 at 7:48 PM, severedsolo said:

<snip>

Before I release this - would anyone massively complain if I did a 1.4.1 only release?

As a 1.4.x player and knowing that the 1.4.x version can't be backwards compatible with 1.3.x because of changes under the hood, I don't mind waiting however long it takes for a 1.4.x version if you tidy up and release a 1.3.x version first for the 1.3.x players :)

• 2 weeks later...

Heads up - updates and support are going to be slow for the forseeable future:

A moment of silence please. My venerable old desktop has finally died. The indications are that it's a critical hardware failure (I'm suspecting motherboard, but it might be the CPU too - it's definitely something critical anyway). Sadly this machine is a second generation i5 so the chances of getting a replacement component are next to zero. Which means I need to build a new PC, but don't have the money right now (and likely won't until September). RIP old friend, you've been a very faithful companion.

For users of my mods: this means that updates are going to be a bit sparse going forward until I can scrape the money together to replace it.

I have a machine I can use as a backup, but it's my wifes main computer, which means I probably won't be able to get on it that much (she's a writer). My other alternative is a very slow netbook that definitely won't play KSP.

How difficult would it be to make this mod work with the astronaut hiring changes bundled into RoverDude's MKS Mod? I just found and added this mod and even on a new save it doesn't seem to do anything with all the changes that are added to the hiring system that are in place with regards to the new types of colonists, and how the hiring has changed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.