[1.4.2] Name Generator 1.2 - Generating Custom Kerbal Names Since 2018 (24/04/2018)

severedsolo

Name Generator 1.2 Released

• Recompiled and fixed for KSP 1.4.2
  • Fixed issue where the "Big 4" would be renamed on Non-English versions of KSP.
  • Encoded all name lists to Unicode to support non-western characters (ie Cyrillic).
  • Moved name lists into PluginData as reading them from the Game Database doesn't work anyway.

Sorry, this release is not 1.3.1 compatible, and I won't be backporting it. The "Big 4" fix reads the "hero" flag of the kerbal to determine if they are one of the big 4, and this flag does not exist in KSP 1.3.1.

Edited by severedsolo

• 6 months later...

@severedsolo Correct me if I'm wrong but I could have sworn there was a way to prevent Jeb, Bill, Bob, and Valentina from spawning, and only get custom named kerbals, when using this mod. Am I crazy and remembering wrong? Or is it maybe a function that's not working correctly since it looks like this mod never got updated to 1.5.x? The mod itself does appear to be functioning, other than this one thing, which I freely admit may just be me misremembering.

37 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@vardicd I guess when you cancel the popup that asks on a new career save, then the default crew is created.

I didn't get any popup about it, and I just started a new career to make sure I didn't just miss it the first time, and there are no options for the mod in the career start options menu that I see. It's not a big issue, I was just curious, and thought I remembered this mod having options for it before, which again, I may not be remembering correctly, or even be thinking of a different mod entirely.

1 minute ago, vardicd said:

I didn't get any popup about it, and I just started a new career to make sure I didn't just miss it the first time, and there are no options for the mod in the career start options menu that I see. It's not a big issue, I was just curious, and thought I remembered this mod having options for it before, which again, I may not be remembering correctly, or even be thinking of a different mod entirely.

You are thinking of earn your stripes. You also have to turn that on in the settings before starting a new game.

• 2 years later...

@severedsolo It seems like Name generator no longer functions in KSP 1.11. Just tried on a fresh install. I know the mod hasn't gotten any updates since April of 2018, so if it's dead, I'll understand, but it's been one of my must haves since I found it. Either way, thanks for all the years of enjoyment from this mod.

Just now, vardicd said:

@severedsolo It seems like Name generator no longer functions in KSP 1.11. Just tried on a fresh install. I know the mod hasn't gotten any updates since April of 2018, so if it's dead, I'll understand, but it's been one of my must haves since I found it. Either way, thanks for all the years of enjoyment from this mod.

Not dead, it's just never needed an update until now. I will take a look and see if I can figure out what1.11 broke, thanks for the report

10 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

Not dead, it's just never needed an update until now. I will take a look and see if I can figure out what1.11 broke, thanks for the report

I may have reported this too soon. For some reason Name Generator didn't work for me, but then I added Earn your stripes and it's dependency [flight tracker] to my install, and forgot to remove name generator, and now I'm getting random Kerbal names... somehow? I don't understand why it didn't work on its' own.

Just now, vardicd said:

I may have reported this too soon. For some reason Name Generator didn't work for me, but then I added Earn your stripes and it's dependency [flight tracker] to my install, and forgot to remove name generator, and now I'm getting random Kerbal names... somehow? I don't understand why it didn't work on its' own.

Sounds like a loading order issue. Probably coincidence that you added EYS and Flight Tracker and it started working. Was it a new save by any chance?

Just now, severedsolo said:

Sounds like a loading order issue. Probably coincidence that you added EYS and Flight Tracker and it started working. Was it a new save by any chance?

Both I had a save made for testing just name generator, and then I made a new save to test if earn your stripes would work, and when I saw that I was getting random names in the new save, i reloaded the other, pre-existing save, to see if it would have the random names, and it also did as well.

Just now, vardicd said:

Both I had a save made for testing just name generator, and then I made a new save to test if earn your stripes would work, and when I saw that I was getting random names in the new save, i reloaded the other, pre-existing save, to see if it would have the random names, and it also did as well.

Weird. I'll see if I can reproduce at this end.

• 3 weeks later...

I've created a pull request for RO-KerbalRenamer, I am not sure if that is the same thing, but I added some European names. Based on the most popular names in the respective countries (according to wikipedia or other sources I could find) mixed with some names from ESA astronauts.

Works fine on my computer (for what that is worth ;-)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.