Kerbal Paragliding Challenge

Since 1.4 is now released, I wanted to get this up ASAP!

yxhE28j.pngMHtzW3j.png

This is when it hit me. Synchronized paragliding! Try and get as many Kerbals flying together at once and screenshot it. The only rule is to use stock KSP 1.4(the latest update)

Ready to jump.

BJjxm22.png

All synced up nice and close.

y6KazW9.png

This took quite a few tries and many experiments be fore I got it right. I have all the kerbals on ladders, with parachutes armed from launch, then fly very slowly (less than 50m/s) til I get to ~1500m, then use action group to retract the ladders. It is very important I found that the kerbals do not hit anything on their way out, or they will tumble out of control. I think this technique could be expanded to many more kerbals, but rendezvous in the air could prove difficult, and certainly confusing with large numbers, as they end up heading opposite directions from launch.

I tried with 16 parachuters but failed to syncronize them until they were too dispersed to be nothing but dots. Maybe ladders is the way to go.

However, I will question the safety of these new parachutes! I witnessed many kerbals ending up in a puff of smoke upon landing. Some even looked a bit dead-ish already in flight:

dtwzQGj.jpg

Not to mention those poor souls who actually landed:

hwBbC3P.jpgWNUwD1R.jpg

RXe8moA.jpgHU9ZAt4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So not so great for formation flying, as the launcher is erratic and also near supersonic...... but these parachutes lead to some interesting possibilities for the Kerbal Launcher System (inspired by SkunkTwerks). Took my kerbal launcher out for a spin and got a few snaps - enjoy!

kfPCFKl.png

mDjK6jL.png

And here is the launch vehicle!

dwRyuwG.png

q7OvT11.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.