1.4.0 Not working right under Linux

Just tried out 1.4.0 . Besides the obvious command pod bug "really"? Their seem to be a few graphics issues under linux . I am getting this menu overlap in the VAB and SPH .It cuts off the top half of the parts list icons and drops the bottom icons over the funds and symmetry toolbar at the bottom of the screen. Sorry was going to post a pic but my dropbox   appears to be not working . I can only run the game in my monitors native resolution . If I try to lower the resolution the game will lock or go black under full screen and gets offset and has ghosted overlays of itself running windowed. I have seen this happen during updates before. Someone needs to test their Unity compile for linux better. I thought maybe Steam  needed to install Something to make it run right? So I gave running direct from Steam library a go and its still the same .  My copy of 1.3.1 runs fine . I went through the screwed up menus thing worse than this with 1.3.0 and it did not get fixed until 1.3.1 was released. If they sell this game as multi platform it should work for Linux and Mac users as well. I was looking forward to the DLC but I wont be buying until they can at least make this patch run right. I'm running on Linux mint 64 QuadCore Intell 3.6Gighz (4.2 turbo) 24gig ram  GTX970 with 384.111 NVdriver  I didn’t see any thing in the KSP logs it is a totally new clean install I cleared the Steam folder and reinstalled reverified the file. 

Thanks

This is more a me-too than a fix.

Yes, I experienced this bug under Linux as well.  

It's also appeared in several other releases.  I suspect it's a common layer occlusion bug in either the menu renderer or the display.  

I don't know if there is a work around but it usually is fixed almost immediately.  If you want, you can go search for the bug on the bug tracker and mark it as having a regression in 1.4.

I've never run the game on any OS other than Ubuntu (Kubuntu 14.04.5 LTS, and Ubuntu Mate 16.04.3 LTS, nVidia GTx750 with nVidia's drivers on the desktop, Intel 945 on the laptop).  I've never seen the menu issues mentioned above in 1.3.0 (I started with 1.2.2 and haven't installed 1.3.1, nor yet 1.4).  I downloaded direct from the KSP web site, however, rather than through Steam.  I run at multiple resolutions from time to time as well, both on my old monitor (1280x1024), my laptop (1330x720?), and on my "new" desktop monitor, 1920x1080.  I routinely switch from a window to full screen on my desktop machine.

Have you checked your video drivers?

I won't be able to try 1.4 until it hits GoG, but I really hope it's not the Nvidia driver.  I'm also running 384.111.  387.34 prevented all my games from launching, and the lovely crap that is 390.25 would shut off my computer randomly.

I'll check back once GoG catches up with the rest of civilization.

Well I downloaded the DLC today and everything is still FugedUp. I hope its not my driver! All my other programs and Games are working. I am seeing on the forum that since the DLC has dropped a whole bunch of other Mac and Linux users are having issue with the game. So I'm guessing it's the new Unity GL complies "Again!"  I just got working shader's for TRR and now it's back to waiting for someone allot smarter than me to fix them. I was really hoping 1.4.1 would fix this looks like it broke more stuff than it fixes. 

On 3/8/2018 at 5:34 PM, Geonovast said:

I won't be able to try 1.4 until it hits GoG, but I really hope it's not the Nvidia driver.  I'm also running 384.111.  387.34 prevented all my games from launching, and the lovely crap that is 390.25 would shut off my computer randomly.

I'll check back once GoG catches up with the rest of civilization.

That sucks man. But it's good to know I was thinking of trying to update my driver and see if that fixes anything but now I might hold off and try them in a VM first. I didn't Know Nvidia's new linux drivers were so crappy. I almost never upgrade unless I'm forced. I have a "If it aint broke don't fix it" kind of attitude I guess. It's back to 1.3.1 untill this mess gets sorted. Wonder how many parts I can crib over from 1.4 that will run?  

On 3/8/2018 at 5:45 AM, Delbrutis said:

Someone needs to test their Unity compile for linux better.

At this point, after putting up with several GNU/Linux specific bugs (one totally game-breaking) sticking around for entire releases, I suspect they just don't care, or at least not enough to fix them before release.

On 3/9/2018 at 2:34 PM, Geonovast said:

the lovely crap that is 390.25

I thought 390.25 was dodgy too... turns out my GPUs aux power cable was slightly loose. Haven't had any serious issues with the nvidia drivers for several years.
What distro you running?

FWIW, 390.25 doesn't fix any of this anyway.

---

Given there are a number of new, obvious, GNU/Linux graphics-related bugs on the tracker (most of which I have just reproduced on my Gentoo machine), I sure am glad I haven't bought that DLC.
I stand by my "wait until all the regressions are fixed before I contemplate giving them any more money" stance. TBH, I'm tired of these beta-quality post-beta releases.
I'm pretty sure the release schedule is now entirely in the hands of a marketing department, with no regard for actual readiness. At least they didn't forget the parachutes this time.

Edited by steve_v

4 hours ago, steve_v said:

I thought 390.25 was dodgy too... turns out my GPUs aux power cable was slightly loose. Haven't had any serious issues with the nvidia drivers for several years.
What distro you running?

Mint 18.2 / MATE.

I updated to 390.25, everything was fine for a few hours, then it just shut off without warning.  Booted up, lasted about 20 minutes, shut off.  Next time it shut off during boot.  Then I got maybe an hour out of it.  Initially I was panicking because it was screaming hardware.

Reverted back to 384.111 and the computer hasn't shut itself off since.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.