1.4. Parts catalogue textures missing in VAB/SPH

I have been playing KSP with no issue  up to and including 1.3.1. (1600+ hrs).  However updating to 1.4 the parts catalogue textures are not displaying, I just see a light blue silhouette in their place.

VAB Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/zsckM

KSP.log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4gkf7yivvtgv0s/KSP.log?dl=0

I have tried a fresh steam  install with no mods and a new test save file  with the same result.

I also tried the full zip download from the Kerbal store again with the same result.

I also  have noticed that I am not getting any re-entry flame on any craft, but I do get the orange glow.

This is running on windows 10 (up to date)

i5 3770k

MSI 1080GTX

16GB Ram

I am uncertain that this is a bug  as I have done some searching and found nothing related to this from other users.

So if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate hearing them

Cheers.

Doughnutz

This is caused by forcing the game to run with direct x 11 or 12. 

There is a bug in the bug tracker with this same description 

Check your command line options on th shortcut or in steam and see if you are forcing a specific direct x version. 

Edit: From the tracker “Parts are not showing correctly if game runs with -force-d3d11 parameter.”

Edited by MechBFP

@MechBFP, thank you very much. I had forgotten that I had the launcher forced to to use DX11 and didn't realise that steam kept launcher setting after uninstalling games from its library.

Cheers

Doughnutz

On 7/3/2018 at 10:28 PM, slaintemaith said:

The parts are similarly borked if you use OpenGL.  Only the textures appear and the top halves of the top level parts are chopped off.
Funny, you'd think someone would have tested DX11 and OpenGL.

I have that problem when I turn off Anti-Aliasing.

Too funny, since Unity is VERY soon dropping support of DirectX9... I was surprised when I checked my 1.4 KSP logs specifically to see if KSP now natively runs DirectX11.... I was disappointed to say the least, when i saw it still runs DX9.... :rolling_eyes:

well, Ive looked into this some, and tried using all of these, to force different levels of Dx11... none work... using any of them, KSP just defaults to Dx9...

-force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded
-force-feature-level-11-0
-force-feature-level-10-1
-force-feature-level-10-0
-force-feature-level-9-3
-force-feature-level-9-2
-force-feature-level-9-1

Preliminary testing shows that forcing OpenGL is fixing the editor part icon texture issue... I guess Ill try some game play to see if running OpenGL will work for me or not...

At the beginning of messing around with trying to force the different levels of Dx11, I updated to the newest Nvidia drivers... so idk if that might be why forcing OpenGL seems to be working or not...vOv ...
oh, forcing OpenGl for me, runs vers 4.5....

I just had a session with OpenGL, looks good so far, but suddenly the stock resource panel in flight mode was borked ...

It looked like as lines were wildly crossing the UI elements:
kh6QQ7e.jpg

On 9.3.2018 at 6:48 AM, SebaQuiros said:

I have that problem when I turn off Anti-Aliasing.

I hoped I will not have this problem because I got AA activated at least 2x - but I also have this issue with OpenGL and AA on.

Also increasing AA to 8x doesn't help.

Edited by Gordon Dry

Quick fix for dx11/12:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XdydhpOOuo3yvzvwm8KDL7jI8-ikx8xf

This is a simple mod that just replaces the stock ScreenSpaceMask shader with @Shadowmage version. Whether there are other issues with dx11/12 has yet to be determined.

KSP_x64.exe -force-d3d11
KSP_x64.exe -force-d3d12

Updates can be found here:

It now also includes a rudimentary reflection probe to fix the lighting issue with the new shiny shader in flight mode.

Edited by Electrocutor

On 19.3.2018 at 7:41 PM, Electrocutor said:

Quick fix for dx11/12:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sb2_qyvBsBPrQFyGldK5x7uW2UJb14et

This is a simple mod that just replaces the stock ScreenSpaceMask shader with @Shadowmage version. Whether there are other issues with dx11/12 has yet to be determined.

hey,
i just signed up on this forum to ask you the following (i guess an account on this forum will be of use anyway :wink: ). Where do i have to put the files of this little fix? Playing without the force dx11 is not possible on my pc, and i would really enjoy the game much more if these textures weren't missing. Would be awesome if you could help me. Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, GaliLeon said:

hey,
i just signed up on this forum to ask you the following (i guess an account on this forum will be of use anyway :wink: ). Where do i have to put the files of this little fix? Playing without the force dx11 is not possible on my pc, and i would really enjoy the game much more if these textures weren't missing. Would be awesome if you could help me. Thanks in advance!

mods go into the GameData folder under your ksp directory. so... \Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KSP-1.4-Fixes

Edited by Electrocutor

12 minutes ago, Electrocutor said:

mods go into the GameData folder under your ksp directory. so... \Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KSP-1.4-Fixes

haha, okay, it wasn't obvious to me, that this fix had to be treated like a usual mod. Thank you for your quick reply! And thank you much more for providing this awesome fix. It works fine as far as i can tell. What is strange is that in the VAB, the three uppermost part textures are 'cut in a half', meaning that the upper part of the texture is still invisible. But that is something that i can live with and it is a great improvement to just blue everywhere. If i will get reentry-heating textures, and normal smoke effects again remains to be seen- i hope so. Thank you again! :)

• 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.