[KSP 1.4.2] Flare Replacer [v1.0.3] [01 April 2018]

Galileo

1xQAD1K.png

Flare Replacer is a mod to replace the  stock sun flare without using Scatterer. 

Currently there are 15 different flares to choose from. 
These sun flares are ported over from Galileo's Sun Flares.

All flares are 4k (stock's are 1k if you are wondering).

I think I covered most niches when it comes to sun flares. There are some basic, no-nonsense flares for those who like realism, and there are some flares that JJ Abrams would be proud of, and a few in between.

Here are some screenshots
3Boj9KP.png
Aichmiros

8IBGD2A.png
Avrams

mKpQ1iM.png
Classico

BoRzuyd.png  
Fusion

HHYLKXa.png
Grande

dwyXgWH.png
Megalo

SiP1g65.png
Mellontikos

aBlUqsI.png
Omorfia

uQTdciq.png
Lampros

oEzswd3.png
Grat

mIDgxlV.png
Foveros

XFHkIXQ.png
Zesto

KVCVqX6.png
Epos

CwimOkt.png
Fotia

tQFE4Zq.png
Enkavma

idu7RCe.png
Just a cool screenshot

Screenshots are also available in the each zip file, so you can easily see what each looks like without having to come back to the forums over and over.

How to change the color

Open the FlareReplacer cfg and find the parameter %sunLensFlareColor = 1,1,1,1
The color is in decimals, or float value. Replace the value 1,1,1,1 with any of the recommended values below:

The higher the value, the more saturated the color. 1 should be the minimum, and there is no maximum, these are just the values I prefer.

R,G,B,A
1,1,1,1 = White
4,1,1,1 = Red
1,4,1,1 = Green
1,1,4,1 = Blue
4,3,1,1 = Yellow
4,1,4,1 = Purple
4,2,3,1 = Pink
4,2,1,1 = Orange
1,4,4,1 = Blue-Green

Using a value less than 1 causes some odd looking sun flares.

You can come up with whatever color you can think of, these are just examples and probably the most popular.

Here are some screenshots of the colors in action

Spoiler

*NOTE these screenshots were taken around Moho, so the flares are extremely bright and desaturated. The further out you go the more saturated the colors will look.

MMcETza.png

f3zFeJS.png

iiBKgBo.png

WiABm8G.png

EJr0lui.png

NWrjyk9.png

hhZvahF.png

32cIAty.png

To add compatibility with other planet packs

*NOTE: ALL planet packs have a star named "Sun" as the center of the system, or should. They may be renamed once kopernicus loads but they are still technically "Sun". That being said, you can leave the first Kopernicus node alone.

To add a star from a planet pack to this mod, copy the entire body node in the FlareReplacer cfg. and paste it directly below the first one. All you have to do is change the name of the body name in @Body[] as shown below. You can add as many of these as you like to cover as many stars as you have in your planet pack. This will allow you to define a color for each individual star. Feel free to include your new cfg in your planet packs and add this mod as a recommendation!

It should look like this:

@Kopernicus:FINAL:NEEDS[FlareReplacer]
{
	@Body[starNameGoesHere]
	{
		%ScaledVersion
		{
			%Light
			{
				%sunLensFlareColor = 1,1,1,1
				%sunFlare = FlareReplacer/FlareReplacer.unity3d:sun_flare
			}
		}
	}
	@Body[anotherStarNameGoesHere]
	{
		%ScaledVersion
		{
			%Light
			{
				%sunLensFlareColor = 1,1,1,1
			}
		}
	}
}

@Scatterer_config:Final:NEEDS[!FlareReplacer]
{
	@fullLensFlareReplacement = True
}

Be sure to include this ^^^ at the bottom of your cfg. This enables the Scatterer sun flares again if FlareReplacer is uninstalled.

@Scatterer_atmosphere:FINAL:NEEDS[FlareReplacer]
{
	@Atmo,*
	{
		@m_mieG = 0.2
	}
}

^^^ You may also want to add this bit of code so that the sun flares are not super over-exposed when you are inside an atmosphere.

v1.0.3 Change Log

• Update for 1.4.2

To install:

1. Drop the FlareReplacer Folder into your GameData folder
  2. Install the latest Kopernicus (https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/releases/)

DOWNLOAD

Unfortunately, there are too many files to have on CKAN. I don't feel comfortable flooding CKAN with all of them.

CC BY-NC-ND

Edited by Galileo

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, maculator said:

A retro flare would be cool. I played the first version of ksp a few days ago and noticed the orange flare.

Not sure what you mean by a “retro flare”. Gotta screenshot?

• 1 month later...

@Galileo Using Flare Replacer, when in map view, focus on Kerbin, and rotating the view with right mouse button holding - when I rotate that the sun is behind Kerbin, I can still see it for about a second (@37 fps / 100% physics delta) and then it fades out within another second, like getting smaller and darker until it disappears.

Video:

Log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ht7gvqutxycnbdz/2018-05-13_2 KSP.log.7z?dl=1

And yes, I'm not sure if this is directly from Flare Replacer, but it only happened since I installed it.

@Gordon Dry There is no problem here..... :P That's exactly how the stock sunflare mechanism works and has always worked. FlareReplacer uses this mechanism.

This may or may not count as an offense but, I'd like to suggest you ease back on the mod count a bit... This is going kinda... really far.

@JadeOfMaar hmm, perhaps it wasn't so obvious that this is a stock behaviour without the flare ...

This is my mod count limit actually.

Also after several hours of playing (yes, I really do that) the RAM usage is still below my RAM limit and IMHO I can add as many mods as I want as long the RAM is enough - it's not my fault that Unity / KSP is not utilizing the PhysX how it should/could.

My way of playing is kinda statement; I don't obey the unfinished game's rule, I obey the possible game's rule.

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 2 weeks later...

The colour feature is not working.

Im using Flare replacer with GPP

@Body[Sun]
	{
		%ScaledVersion
		{
			%Light
			{
				%sunLensFlareColor = 2,1,4,1
			}
		}
	}

However the sunflare stays white.

How to fix it?

2 hours ago, Iso-Polaris said:

The colour feature is not working.

Im using Flare replacer with GPP

@Body[Sun]
	{
		%ScaledVersion
		{
			%Light
			{
				%sunLensFlareColor = 2,1,4,1
			}
		}
	}

However the sunflare stays white.

How to fix it?

GPP already has a Flare Replacer cfg in it and overwrites everything. You just have to choose what style you want. If you want to change the color, you have to change the GPP_FlareReplacer cfg located in GPP/GPP_Configs/GPP_FlareReplacer.

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

GPP already has a Flare Replacer cfg in it and overwrites everything. You just have to choose what style you want. If you want to change the color, you have to change the GPP_FlareReplacer cfg located in GPP/GPP_Configs/GPP_FlareReplacer.

May I ask how to make the flare bigger than usual?

Praise the sun.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 1:41 AM, Iso-Polaris said:

May I ask how to make the flare bigger than usual?

Praise the sun.

I like this general idea but because I would like to make the flare a bit smaller :)

On 6/11/2018 at 6:45 PM, Kaa253 said:

I like this general idea but because I would like to make the flare a bit smaller :)

I found out how:

Open   GameData\Kopernicus\Config\System.cfg

Body
    {
    name = Sun
    ScaledVersion
		{
		Light
			{
			sunAU = 1000000000
			}
		}
	}

That sunAU feature controls the flare scale.... I think

21 minutes ago, Iso-Polaris said:

I found out how:

Open   GameData\Kopernicus\Config\System.cfg

Body
    {
    name = Sun
    ScaledVersion
		{
		Light
			{
			sunAU = 1000000000
			}
		}
	}

That sunAU feature controls the flare scale.... I think

The sunAU determines the distance in which your solar panels will receive 1EC. It may make the flare look smaller or larger, but it affects more than that. I would not recommend it.

Flare Replacer uses the stock mechanic for flare size and it is directly tied to the radius of the star. Beyond that, you would have to change the texture which is hard coded into the unity flare file. 

Also, by no means should you edited the system cfg in kopernicus. That file should never be touched as it’s the templates for the stock bodies. If you absolutely have to change anything there, use an MM cfg to do so.

Edited by Galileo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just my opinion and suggestion:  I don't see a problem putting all of these into CKAN.  I'd suggest you prefix the name of each with something like "Flare Replacer:", similar to the way that contract packs are prefixed.  Just make sure that each one is listed as conflicting with the others.

I'd be happy to help if needed

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Hi,

Just my opinion and suggestion:  I don't see a problem putting all of these into CKAN.  I'd suggest you prefix the name of each with something like "Flare Replacer:", similar to the way that contract packs are prefixed.  Just make sure that each one is listed as conflicting with the others.

I'd be happy to help if needed

My issue with putting all of these on CKAN is the fact that there isn’t an image thumbnail that would let users know what they are downloading. I was purposely making users come to the forum thread to see their options. I had considered CKAN originally, but after thinking it over I came to this conclusion. 

9 minutes ago, Galileo said:

My issue with putting all of these on CKAN is the fact that there isn’t an image thumbnail that would let users know what they are downloading. I was purposely making users come to the forum thread to see their options. I had considered CKAN originally, but after thinking it over I came to this conclusion. 

Understood.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.