Suggestion: Rename "DuckdischNick" (in german) to "Spucknet"

"DuckdischNick" isn't verry funny and also doesn't relate to Sputnik vocally. It's one of those words that really stand out because they don't fit and sound forced.

I would like to suggest to rename it to "Spucknet".

It's vocally related to Sputnik and means "don't spit".

It also has "net" in it wich in this case could also be short for "Netz" and relates to telecommunications wich also relates to satelites.

47 minutes ago, maculator said:

Sputnik reference - the Stayputnik

Stayputnik is actually a reference to Vanguard TV3, a launch that was supposed to be the US's first orbital satellite but that went down in flames when the first stage lost propulsion a couple seconds after liftoff and crashed onto the pad. Stayputnik was one of the nicknames the press gave it, in reference to Sputnik 1 which had successfully launched a few months earlier, because it "stayed" on Earth.

While DuckdichNick doesn't sound good, it is pretty much a literal translation of "Stayputnik". Spucknet would sound better but you would lose the original reference even with the pun.

In the French translation, the Stayputnik probe is called "Spoutbrik", it sounds very much like Sputnik and can be interpreted as "Crashing brick": "spout" is the sound something makes when it splatters onto the ground (not a very common onomatopoeia though) (Edit: on second thought, the "spout" part might not have been intended, it is just the way you would write the /u/ sound in French) and "brik" reads like "brique" the French word for brick. IMO it's a pretty good translation since you keep both the sound and the meaning of the original name, but I'm not sure you could find something similar in German.

Edit2: looks like the editor doesn't like [ u ] without the spaces, I can't underline things now, a remnant of BBCode I guess...

Edited by Gaarst

Well now thats a historical fact I didn't know. But "Stay put" means "Stehen bleiben". Anyways this is one of those references that you probably can't translate correct.

I just miss the vocal relation to sputnik wich in my mind is a big factor that got lost because of a reference you cant translate anyways.

2 minutes ago, maculator said:

Well now thats a historical fact I didn't know. But "Stay put" means "Stehen bleiben". Anyways this is one of those references that you probably can't translate correct.

I just miss the vocal relation to sputnik wich in my mind is a big factor that got lost because of a reference you cant translate anyways.

Doesn't "Duck dich" mean "Get down!"? It's not exactly "stay put" but you keep the meaning.

But yes you are probably right about the reference you can't translate. It is already a rather obscure reference in English, maybe it's not worth keeping it in German.

"Duck dich" translates best as "Take cover". Wich would also kind of fit.

I do like the fact that it got its english name from the media, but the whole point why I like it is because the made up name sounds like sputnik, wich was intended as I assume.

The german name should focus on that too, like the french does.

Similar pronunciation > force-translated joke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.