Does KSP really have spyware in it?

DoctorDavinci

Just now, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

there  I did it for you.

Much appreciated..

Hehehe.. my first reaction was to like your post. At least I caught myself before I clicked it, I guess.. :D

1 minute ago, Clockwork13 said:

Just thought I'd throw this in here: if you want help protecting yourself from potential datamining, get a MAC address changer

Good advice always.. one of the first things I do when setting up a new computer.

What I find most disturbing about this thread, is not the subject matter.

It's the reactions and words of a lot of what I normally consider upstanding members of our community.     Let's all back off for a bit and relax, shall we?

The OP presented a question, and a couple other posts have presented supporting data.  Other than that, this thread has spiraled out of control. 

We need to wait till @SQUAD( @UomoCapra @Darth Badie ) make their statement.  Until then, It is nothing other than supposition and accusations. 

Can't you simply stop it from transmitting by switching the internet connection off on your computer or router?

We need to wait till @SQUAD( @UomoCapra @Darth Badie ) make their statement.  Until then, It is nothing other than supposition and accusations. 

I can tell you already what their statement will be. "We can neither deny nor confirm..."

Edited by The Dunatian

1 minute ago, The Dunatian said:

Can't you simply stop it from transmitting by switching the internet connection off on your computer or router?

Short of a sledgehammer to the CPU, that would be the nuclear option, yes. 

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

Short of a sledgehammer to the CPU, that would be the nuclear option, yes. 

Excellent then. Assuming that it's only up to mischeif when the game is running.

Edited by The Dunatian

DISCLAIMER: I don't mean to fuel a fire or start an argument, I'm just new to this and slightly confused. If this does something along those lines I'll take it down myself.

Most websites on the planet collects data, from the Book of Face to gaming sites. Why does it all of a sudden matter if TT2 states that they may take some of  our data? And even if they do, other sites already do it too.

Edited by nascarlaser1
The language I was born with is native to me aparently XD

4 minutes ago, The Dunatian said:

No the EULA says they'll gather it all now, and phone home later.

And one might assume they'll start a "licence check" on startup that requires inet.

4 minutes ago, The Dunatian said:

Even better is to use a good firewall. I like this one. Windows 10 Firewall Control.

Despite the name, it works on Vista, 7, 8 and 10, in both 32 and 64 bit.

3 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

Most websites on the planet collects data, from the books of Face to gaming sites. Why does it all of a sudden matter if TT2 states that they may take some of  our data? And even if they do, other sites already do it too.

"We've made too many compromises already; too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further!"

6 minutes ago, The Dunatian said:

Excellent then. Assuming that it's only up to mischeif when the game is running.

Those are two different assumptions.

Your first comment was if disconnecting the computer from the internet would prevent it from talking to the internet.  I said yes.

Your second comment is that it only transmits only when KSP is running.  To that, I have no idea. 

3 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

Most websites on the planet collects data, from the Book of Face to gaming sites. Why does it all of a sudden matter if TT2 states that they may take some of  our data? And even if they do, other sites already do it too.

Because until now, KSP had avoided this kind of behaviour..

It's sad to see them follow the rest swirling down the toilet bowl.

Just now, JAFO said:

Because until now, KSP had avoided this kind of behaviour..

It's sad to see them follow the rest swirling down the toilet bowl.

when I first got KSP, it asked me on start up if I was ok with them doing it, and each time I've updated though (This was 1.0,and I've yet to get 1.4).

1 minute ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

"We've made too many compromises already; too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thin_Red_Line_(Battle_of_Balaclava)

2 minutes ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

Bugger this damn limit on likes.. would someone "like" to do the honours for me? This one's a seriously good point.

1 minute ago, The Dunatian said:

Will something like Norton firewall work as well?

Maybe.. I don't know how granular it is. Nortons is far too much of a resource hog, IMO, and I avoid it. Can you control outgoing connections on a per-program and/or URL basis?

If you already have it, give it a try.. if you don't, don't go buying it for this use alone. The one I linked to is free, and has even more features if you buy it. But the free version is excellent as-is.

25 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

I would be very surprised if there was a website which didn't log requests - and most of them will log referral data with that so they know where the request came from. Been like that since day zero, pretty much. On top of that, ISPs running transparent proxies will also be logging requests as a matter of course ( and even if they're not transparent ). This is all before we start going into packet inspection and other issues which are also a matter of routine. The price you pay for using the internet is someone knowing what you're doing - if nobody knew what you're doing at all the whole system wouldn't work, because it's a system which uses cooperative transfer of data.

Anyway this is a non-issue technically, just firewall the game. Ethically, *shrug*, see above.

Edited by Van Disaster

2 minutes ago, Van Disaster said:

I would be very surprised if there was a website which didn't log requests - and most of them will log referral data with that so they know where the request came from. Been like that since day zero, pretty much. On top of that, ISPs running transparent proxies will also be logging requests as a matter of course ( and even if they're not transparent ). This is all before we start going into packet inspection and other issues which are also a matter of routine. The price you pay for using the internet is someone knowing what you're doing - if nobody knew what you're doing at all the whole system wouldn't work, because it's a system which uses cooperative transfer of data.

Anyway this is a non-issue technically, just firewall the game. Ethically, *shrug*, see above.

oh ok thank you :) :):):):).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.