KSP 1.4 anyone tested performance?

cpx

from my experience, 1.4.0 runs slightly smoother than 1.3.1 when i play it stock (although now i had mods in 1.3.1, but i have backup)
on previous 1.3.1, it (kinda) lags even with low settings, but 1.4.0 runs just great even with higher settings

I run very few mods at all (KER, AP+, BDAc, not much else) and also have a very weak laptop to play KSP on. Considering the usual update routine, I put all the stuff on the lowest graphics settings-- BUT! the game automatically reset those options for me almost immediately afterward (I think it was the second time I opened KSP.) The game is running as smoothly now as 1.3.1 did without mods and all the graphics turned way down to minimal. If that's no testament to performance improvements, consult a computer nerd that'll give you exact performance specs :P

When I update and rollback version I get horrible lag and make my game unplayable so I'm not risking it. I have some OPM to explore :)

Wish they optimized high part ships somewhat. Insane FPS drops when going above 50 parts, and my bases have 80-100 and I have to limit everything like crazy. Wish there was some welding mod for landed bases.

2 minutes ago, cpx said:

Wish they optimized high part ships somewhat. Insane FPS drops when going above 50 parts, and my bases have 80-100 and I have to limit everything like crazy. Wish there was some welding mod for landed bases.

Me too!

There was some discussion earlier about how this could be done, and it seems it would be really hard without making the simulation less accurate, due to the nature of rigid-body physics computations. I was suggesting an auto-welding algorithm: once the part count passes a threshold, it combines connected parts into larger units, which are treated as single parts for the physics computations. The thermal and physical thresholds for the combination parts would have to be adjusted with some heuristics. This way it would be possible to keep the physics part count of the craft down to any number you want.

I still think this would be doable in ways that would be almost unnoticeable while playing the game, and the performance payoff for large part-count craft would be dramatic. At least I would happily take a less-accurate simulation at 60 fps than a more-accurate one at 10!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.