Should I Reduce Texture Size?

As I'm new to modding, modeling and texturing, I need a bit of help with texture size.

YhkQcX4.png

The texture shown in the image is a .png file 2048 x 2048 pixels, and is about 48 KB (49,569 bytes when I checked the properties). This seems to prove problematic in Blender, as the textures for each of the tank sides are 256 x 128 pixels. This means I can't fit textures on a t-800 sized tank.

Can I reduce the size of the textures in the models (and still have the warning label readable)? Or, am I going about this all wrong, and the texture picture itself is too small?

Hi, for that tank the whole texture should be on one sheet not spread over different ones, and a 2048 texture just so you can have a bit of text when the rest is plain blue seems a little excessive .

However, as the tank is plain blue you could tile the other 7 sides on your single sheet texture, same for the end caps,  so you have one blue area  and a grey area,   and even though as a rule, it's nice to keep all parts at the same kind of texture density , you could devote the larger area of the texture for your graphic panel.

I'd imagine a good font will be legible at 1028.  Although for text i usually scale the texture up x2 , sort out the text, then scale it back down, this makes the characters a lot sharper than if i placed them on the 1028 to start

On 3/10/2018 at 6:35 AM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, for that tank the whole texture should be on one sheet not spread over different ones, and a 2048 texture just so you can have a bit of text when the rest is plain blue seems a little excessive .

However, as the tank is plain blue you could tile the other 7 sides on your single sheet texture, same for the end caps,  so you have one blue area  and a grey area,   and even though as a rule, it's nice to keep all parts at the same kind of texture density , you could devote the larger area of the texture for your graphic panel.

I'd imagine a good font will be legible at 1028.  Although for text i usually scale the texture up x2 , sort out the text, then scale it back down, this makes the characters a lot sharper than if i placed them on the 1028 to start

I'm probably gonna keep it as a 2048x2048 texture, but thanks for the advice.

EDIT: Should I even bother with the label? 

Edited by SlimeOfSteel

Know that texture are decompressed when loaded by the game and that a 2048x2048 png texture will use 16MB of memory (even more on dx9). Compressing it in a DDS would use 4MB (DXT5) or 2MB (DXT1)

Edited by sarbian

9 hours ago, sarbian said:

Know that texture are decompressed when loaded by the game and that a 2048x2048 png texture will use 16MB of memory (even more on dx9). Compressing it in a DDS would use 4MB (DXT5) or 2MB (DXT1)

No need to worry, I'm planning to turn the texture into a .dds file once I'm done with the texture changes.

Well, I kinda figured out a solution to my own problem.

I just needed to split the larger tanks into separate pieces. The center will still keep the regular texture, but the new pieces will have the blue texture even if I extend it far enough.

So how do I close a thread? My problem is solved.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.