Help.. Kerbal Space Program turns off automatically out of nowhere.

Hello, and welcome to the forums!  :)

3 minutes ago, JebTheKerbal said:

This may seem irrelevant to the forum but I couldn't find a help forum. There is this glitch since the 1.4 update that my game shuts down automatically. Please help me.

Moving to Technical Support.

Can you please clarify a few things?

• Are you running any mods?
  • "shuts down automatically" -- under what conditions?  In what situations?  Describe exactly what's happening, please?
  • Have you looked at your log file?  (there's a file "KSP.log" located in your KSP folder)  Anything interesting in there?

Something similar happened to me on Wednesday while playing a newly started career save, using an unmodded 1.4.0.2077 install and the 64 bit executable with the "-popupwindow" command line argument.

In the moments leading up to the crash, I was reentering Kerbin's atmosphere. If I remember correctly, the game crashed while I was retroburning at around 20km AMSL. I have 100% ground scatter enabled, in case that matters.

I checked the log file, but the last entry was from a minute or two before the crash, and all the entries starting ~10 minutes before the crash seemed nominal. Since there was nothing out of the ordinary in it, I didn't bother to make a backup of the log file.

I also noticed that the was no crash folder generated by Unity (the directory that contains crash.dmp, error.log, and output_log.txt, with the name being the timestamp of the crash (formatted as yyyy-MM-dd_HHmmss)

The crash was of the 'sudden exit' variety, rather than the 'hang/freeze/not responding' variety. I just tested closing KSP by hitting Alt-F4 (window froze for 7 seconds before closing) and by killing the process via Task Manager (window instantly closed, same as what happened during the crash). There was no error message/window/notification of any sort after the crash.

I restarted the game, loaded my quicksave, and successfully landed the ship without any further technical issues. I have not experienced any crashes since this one.

Hopefully the extra details make up for the lack of log file, @Snark!

Edited by quietsamurai98
Added cmd args

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.