KSP Weekly: The Alexandrian Astronomer

SQUAD

Am I the only one that thinks progress has been surprisingly and terribly slow? Some casually say waiting is fine but at some point there has to be a product, otherwise neither players or developers can be happy. I want to be a happy player. I want Squad to be a happy team, bringing smiles and laughs to millions of players is a good reason they earned it even if they haven't managed to do everything right.

From the looks of it Squad has the same manpower and efficiency as they would have had if T2 never rolled in, sort of makes me wonder if T2 ever had the slightest intention of actually doing anything whatsoever to ensure the KSP universe gets the foundation needed to generate any significant funds long term. Then again I'm not well informed in this case, I just have some degree of general knowledge about business practice and how game studios tend to operate in the big picture, no serious publisher just buys out a franchise because "they are fans" but because down the road they see a pile of gold. I don't mean to be a jerk or anything, I'm just puzzled and worried by not seeing any of the good signs one would hope for in this situation, the pace over the last year would have been normal for a title in early access being developed by a small team but not for a studio with a globally famous game...

At least I'm very happy to soon be able to finally enjoy KSP again, been holding off ever since last year when Making Historically Slow DLC was announced. :P Sort of baffled why T2 doesn't fork over a whole truck of cash to increase the manpower tenfold and rake in a ton of dough from more DLCs and down the road KSP2. Seems like alarmingly little is going on if just a mission editor and a selection of parts takes a year to develop. Meanwhile I'm sitting here with a wallet full of cash and slowly dying of boredom, I have literally been counting the hours to release ever since the date was set.

P.S. Before anyone goes nuts here, Squad and T2 are bound by shackles of business so we probably won't be getting any honest and informative answers about what is going on between them any time soon, even if they want to give straight answers they often can't. This is normal and nothing to worry about.

History includes more than facts and figures, but also people behind these things trying to improve themselves.  I don't mind if Squad occasionally uses their website and soapbox to raise awareness of an issue. I prefer what we have, when compared to the relentless marketing some game companies do in their blogs.  I'm also impressed that Squad has continued to put something out weekly; I expected it to change into a monthly format a year ago, when they started the new project and didn't have much to show us.

Some posts have been removed from this thread. Historical figures will sometimes be mentioned in the Weeklies. If you don't like that part, feel free to skip it. 

Now please get back to discussing the game news. 

On 10/03/2018 at 1:26 PM, Pixel Kola said:

I am assuming the devs took the intelligent and logical route with Mission Builder and can be applied to career mode??

Take Two is probably working 24/7 to find a way to make it not happen...

Haha certainly... you better go find your torch, you will need it tonight to go witch burning! :sticktongue:

The DLC looks really cool! I seriously hope though that there will not be a massive increase in content for the DLC holders, while the 'base game' (that now sounds really weird) players get little to no new parts or features. 

3 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

The DLC looks really cool! I seriously hope though that there will not be a massive increase in content for the DLC holders, while the 'base game' (that now sounds really weird) players get little to no new parts or features. 

If you check out the YouTube previews for the DLC, there will be some parts. Mainly parts to reconstruct some of the historic rockets used to put humankind into space and other space endeavors. I will dare say that most of the parts are represented in certain historical mods out there. The others are Squads own creations and look pretty good and can be handy.

Edited by shdwlrd
clarification

49 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

If you check out the YouTube previews for the DLC, there will be some parts. Mainly parts to reconstruct some of the historic rockets used to put humankind into space and other space endeavors. I will dare say that most of the parts are represented in certain historical mods out there. The others are Squads own creations and look pretty good and can be handy.

I know that the MHE players get new parts (to build those rockets and other craft), but I'm asking if the base game players will still receive new parts in the future. Because I don't want it to turn into something like Battlefield Premium (DLC holders get way more content over base game players). 

Well they integrated the mod in a very lazy way, as far as I can tell. It literally comes in 1.4.1. When you buy the DLC all you buy is a code to unlock it. Unless you update the game, the code is useless. And no, this does not mean that you can just flip on setting from false to true and get the DLC. At least not that I’ve found. I would have the DLC, except I bought it literally ONE DAY after when I’d be able to get it free.

26 minutes ago, ShadowGoat said:

Well they integrated the mod in a very lazy way, as far as I can tell. It literally comes in 1.4.1. When you buy the DLC all you buy is a code to unlock it.

Not in Steam, at least. Deselecting the DLC in the Steam client removes the GameData/SquadExpansion folder entirely. Selecting it downloads the whole 400MB expansion package again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.