Anyone else still playing 1.2?

OrbitalBuzzsaw

I play on 1.3.1 and although I didn't have problems with KER or any other of the few mods I use, it was 1.3 that made me wish I was still playing on 1.2.2.

My brief time with 1.4 hasn't given me any real problems so far and it's only a matter of time before mods catch up. But I'm still undecided on migrating and it's not that I don't acknowledge Squad's work on either the patch or MH. It's... I have this feeling that I'm being pointed towards a direction I don't really want to go. I don't know...

I first played the game in the 0.anything era, and a little in the 1.0.

When I came back, it was in the 1.3 version, so I started with it. Only updated to the 1.3.1 because of a updated of KBPS that wasn't compatible with the 1.3. I still use some very important mods from 1.2, like Ven's Revamp or Infernal Robotics.

I already expressed my opinion about the 1.4 update here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/171924-anyone-mad-about-mods-keeping-up-with-latest-updates/&tab=comments#comment-3315585

I'll probably keep the 1.3.1 for a loooong time.

Still playing RO on 1.2.2. Even for my other, non-RO installs, upgrading will take a lot of mods getting updated or replaced: FAR, Sigma Dimensions, GPP, Real Fuels, etc.

That's the only thing I have against 1.4, is that the mods I use aren't up-to-date for it. For that matter, a lot of my mods will likely never see a 1.4.0 release, more likely either 1.4.1 or 1.4.2.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2018 at 8:54 PM, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Call me crazy, but I'm still playing 1.2.1 because KER doesn't work on 1.3 for me, and I'm waiting the year for a KER patch to come out to get it working on 1.4, and screw MechJeb. Anyone else in a similar predicament? 

I went from 1.05.5 to 1.2.2...then got busy with other things. Now that I can play again, 1.4 is out, but I'd like to retain my career progress from 1.2.2. On a side-note, <3 both MJ and KER! :P

On 3/9/2018 at 10:41 PM, Atkara said:

...it was 1.3 that made me wish I was still playing on 1.2.2.

What do you mean?

On 3/9/2018 at 10:41 PM, Atkara said:

It's... I have this feeling that I'm being pointed towards a direction I don't really want to go. I don't know...

On 3/10/2018 at 4:01 PM, LordFerret said:

Exactly.

I've been away from the forums and the game for some time... What am I missing? o.O

5 hours ago, iFlyAllTheTime said:

What do you mean?

1.3 introduced the "famous" jumping on physics load, when you switched to something on the surface of a body. If it was on landing legs/wheels, suspension would kick in and the thing would jump -often with catastrophic results. This was more evident on bodies with gravitational pull below 1g. To stop this from happening, I had to set damper strength to maximum and adjust spring strength to match the gravity of the planet/moon, the said craft/base was on.

With maximum damper resistance on the springs and with the springs not pushing as much, things settled. And then I had the task of identifying the deployed crafts & bases in my save and manually edit their landing legs/wheels. Given the extent of my deployed infrastructure, you understand that I wasn't particularly happy.

But 1.3 didn't stop at that. An oversight messed up with the drills and action groups wouldn't listen when it came to raise/lower them. Furthermore, they were about to make an even larger mistake on 1.3.1, which I caught up in time and had a small battle for, in the bug tracker. Disaster was averted and 1.3.1 made the drills listen again to action groups -only the fix wasn't retro-active. Drills had to be removed from any craft files carrying them and new ones had to be installed. So there I was, looking inside craft files and actual deployed crafts in my save, while cross-checking with craft files I knew didn't suffer from the issue. Found what was baked in and had to manually correct it on any craft with drills on it. in both craft files and save.

Had I known what was going to happen to me in 1.3, I would've stayed with 1.2.2.

5 hours ago, iFlyAllTheTime said:

I've been away from the forums and the game for some time... What am I missing? o.O

I think I just don't really like the whole space race re-enactment MH theme. Not that I won't use the new parts, but I won't make SaturnV/Soyuz replicas out of them. This isn't what I got into KSP for.

2 hours ago, Atkara said:

1.3 introduced the "famous"...

But 1.3 didn't stop at that...

Had I known what was going to happen to me in 1.3, I would've stayed with 1.2.2.

I think I just don't really like the whole space race re-enactment MH theme. Not that I won't use the new parts, but I won't make SaturnV/Soyuz replicas out of them. This isn't what I got into KSP for.

Ahh. Well, thank you for the detailed response. I dodged a bullet then :P

Enjoy your Sunday!

8 hours ago, invision said:

played 1.2.2 for over a year then switched to 1.4.1 and im glad i did the game runs much smoother

Is that due to the update to new Unity engine? or did I miss the fact that they've optimized the game a bit?

Really wished I could go back to 1.2.2. Ver.1.3 didn't give much for me, and for some goddamn reason, any planet packs does not work in 1.3 (even when I'm using appropriate version and plugins. I know I have a potato computer, but back then I can run almost any planet packs, including RSS smoothly in 1.2, but none of them in 1.3:mad:!?). Also, I noticed that the game crash frequency is increasing in 1.3 compared to 1.2

1.3.1 for mods.

1.4.1 for Stock and MH.

1.05 and 2 pre v1 versions for bringing back nostalgia once every month or so when I'm bored.

I can't recall I had use for v1.2 

I think it depends on certain older mods that may only work under said version, if that is the case for some you will find these people to respond most likely.

Edited by Aeroboi

17 hours ago, iFlyAllTheTime said:

For me this deals with the possibility of future versions which become useless (so to speak) without additional purchases ... DLC or in-game.

15 hours ago, iFlyAllTheTime said:

Ahh. Well, thank you for the detailed response. I dodged a bullet then :P

Enjoy your Sunday!

Is that due to the update to new Unity engine? or did I miss the fact that they've optimized the game a bit?

its more than likely the newer game engine and how it handles tasks. 

for example in 1.2.2 i would make a decent sized craft of about 60 parts, id start around 70 fps and drop to 30 during launch, then it go back to 60-70. By the time i land on the surface of a planet or moon the game is down to 20 fps then 15. if i go back to space from that surface i may get 40 fps. it will get worse the longer you play. going from tracking center to the ship seemed to fix whatever was making the game slow and will play at 70+ fps for a while until all of the above happen again.

now i can launch and hold 60+ fps and have 100+ fps most of the time and maintain 70+ fps the entire game session now, and only atmosphere re-entry or enter seems to drop it to 60 fps. this is running about 15 mods and EVE.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.