Anyone mad about mods keeping up with latest updates?

Conric005

So is anyone out there annoyed about mods not being compatible with latest updates? I know 1.4 just released and all, but deep down we all are mad about it. It could also be really old mods too.

I know a mod that adds in escape pod parts that just hasn't been able to keep up for some reason.

Not mad at all.. mods are a labour of love, voluntarily undertaken in whatever free time the modder can squeeze out of the rest of their lives. It takes time to produce and test updates, and time's a scarce and precious resource for most people.

Patience is called for.

Besides, many modders are waiting on the 1.4.1 bugfix patch to be released first.. why update your mod when you may need to do so again in a few days time?

Add me to the "not mad" list.  Partly because it's expected with this game, but mostly because I can't play right now anyway.

Broke the tip of my left ring finger in such a way that it required surgery to fix, and to have my entire left hand and wrist immobilized.

And only a week after I started playing Elite: Dangerous ;.;

I don't think any person who has reasonable expectations gets mad about this. This is how it has always been for KSP, and it's likely this will continue for as long as KSP development does.

Any game undergoing continued development may be susceptible to this; this is not a problem unique to KSP. And like other games, once development is done then this issue resolves itself.

It can be very hard, and sometimes impossible, to add new features or improve old ones AND not break existing features or mods. Often the game devs will have to repair, modify, replace, overhaul, and/or enhance existing features that may seem entirely unrelated to the new changes they are implementing just to keep everything working. And when that happens it is likely that the mod devs will need to do that too, but the mod devs often won't be aware of what specifically must be changed or updated until after the game devs release the new version. Only then can the mod devs do their awesome work. These things take time.

You can't have big new updates to KSP (like changing engine versions) and totally avoid breaking mods at the same time. That's a perfect world scenario, and this isn't a perfect world.

That's just how this works.

So, I'm not mad. About this: I'm ambivalent. It just is what it is.

About mods: I'm grateful. A lot of creative, talented folks share their hard work and passion with us every day in the hopes that we might have an even better experience with a game we all care about.

Edit: @MaxxQ Yikes. It's not really much at all, but I hope you make a speedy and full recovery from that injury/surgery. I hope bug fixes and most mods will be ready and waiting for you as soon as you're able to enjoy playing complicated games again.

Edited by Mako

Being mad about mods not being updated is childish.

If it's an old mod and you really want it, you can always learn modding and start maintaining it yourself.

Please remember mod authors don't get access any sooner than you do. They also have real lives, real jobs, real family etc. and are contributing their talent to the community with free time for free. Mod authors do not owe anything to the community, but we who use those mods owe them. Consider donating to those authors and be considerate and patient. 

No, I'm immensely grateful to the modders. I think they work is far better than the stock game, and it's the only reason I still play the game. KSP for me now it's only a base to apply the mods.

I didn't see almost nothing good or really worth in this update, and it will bring a lot of trouble to update/organize all the mods and revert some unwanted changes to the Squad folder, so I'll keep the 1.3.1 for an indefinite amount of time.

What can make me "mad" it's the fact that now most updates from mods, and new mods, will be from the 1.4 version, and may not work properly in the 1.3.1 anymore. For example, I would be extremely mad if "Stockalike Station Parts Redux" was being release now, and only for 1.4.

I still use some very important mods from 1.2 version that didn't get an official update (like Ven's Revamp or Infernal Robotics), and know a lot of people that still uses 1.2 KSP, and even some few mods that officially support it.

For me, the game should only update if would add something really meaningful or important, like an engine that didn't load everything into RAM at each startup, or a system to deal better with ship with huge parts count. Anything less than that I would probably be: meh, a mod did that much better, 2-3 years ago.

I think some people overrate things just because they are stock, and ignore much better content just because they are from mods.

I like Skyrim as an example, it simple stopped updating. It's one of the games with most bugs ever, but nearly everything got fixed by the community, and we have a huge database of compatible mods. I can download a very old and forgotten mod from ages ago, and it will work and be compatible with recent ones. I really prefer that way.

4 hours ago, Conric005 said:

So is anyone out there annoyed about mods not being compatible with latest updates? I know 1.4 just released and all, but deep down we all are mad about it. It could also be really old mods too.

I know a mod that adds in escape pod parts that just hasn't been able to keep up for some reason.

I doubt many people are mad, if any. Your assumption "deep down we all are mad about it" isn't based on facts. On the contrary, deep down we are all gratefull that modders spend their valuable time to update their mods. We just have to be patient.

I would love it if all mods updated instantly upon a new release. I'd also love it if I could snap my fingers and stop the rain. No sense being mad that neither happens.

I'm grateful instead that they're there in the first place, and that I can easily play the version of KSP they're written for.

4 hours ago, Conric005 said:

I have 130+ mods to update.

Are you willing to pay my salary for a week while I stop my real job (which pays the bills) and update all the mods?

If yes, please contact me via PM and be prepared to write me a check which has at least 5 digits in it.  Both to pay my salary and to inspire me to spend all my time updating mods.

if not, then shut up and be patient.  You could show your appreciation by contributing to my (and other modders) Patreon account.

24 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

if not, then shut up and be patient. ...

"Shut up" is a direct command with a meaning very similar to "be quiet"', but which is commonly perceived as a more forceful command to stop making noise or otherwise communicating, such as talking. The phrase is probably a shortened form of "shut up your mouth" or "shut your mouth up". Its use is generally considered rude and impolite, and may also considered a form of profanity by some. (Source: Wikipedia)

My apologies, Linuxgurugamer. I'm not a Moderator and i fully understand your anger, but please keep it civil especially as the poster is a newbie with absolutely not a clue about how things really work. 

Edited by TheCardinal

^^

Like what everyone else said. I'm not really mad that mods aren't instantly updated because even modders can't spend their whole lives in Unity/Python/PartTools. (sorry, I don't know what you guys use to make mods really) They have family, or school, or work or other IRL stuff to do.

And you can't make a major change to a game's code without breaking any mods, as far as I know.

Why would I be mad? It is so cool people still keep updating their mods at all! Also, from each larger KSP upgrade I get a slightly different experience. I try new mods, find nice combinations. It makes KSP feel different every time.

3 hours ago, MaximumThrust said:

No, I'm immensely grateful to the modders. I think they work is far better than the stock game, and it's the only reason I still play the game. KSP for me now it's only a base to apply the mods.

I didn't see almost nothing good or really worth in this update, and it will bring a lot of trouble to update/organize all the mods and revert some unwanted changes to the Squad folder, so I'll keep the 1.3.1 for an indefinite amount of time.

What can make me "mad" it's the fact that now most updates from mods, and new mods, will be from the 1.4 version, and may not work properly in the 1.3.1 anymore. For example, I would be extremely mad if "Stockalike Station Parts Redux" was being release now, and only for 1.4.

I still use some very important mods from 1.2 version that didn't get an official update (like Ven's Revamp or Infernal Robotics), and know a lot of people that still uses 1.2 KSP, and even some few mods that officially support it.

For me, the game should only update if would add something really meaningful or important, like an engine that didn't load everything into RAM at each startup, or a system to deal better with ship with huge parts count. Anything less than that I would probably be: meh, a mod did that much better, 2-3 years ago.

I think some people overrate things just because they are stock, and ignore much better content just because they are from mods.

I like Skyrim as an example, it simple stopped updating. It's one of the games with most bugs ever, but nearly everything got fixed by the community, and we have a huge database of compatible mods. I can download a very old and forgotten mod from ages ago, and it will work and be compatible with recent ones. I really prefer that way.

So you want devs to abandon game so that you can run even  the ancient mods? What the hell? At which version should have they stopped to please you?  0.12? 0.15? 1.0?

First of all, the list of "very importation mods" is yours and yours alone. Not a single mod you've mentioned is important to me. The features you've listed worth the update are completely irrelevant to me. I am comparing to my preference only to show you on the example how subjective "important" is.

Additionally, with new versions devs have added new ways in which mods can actually interface with the game, allowing new wonderful mods to be added.

The best part is you can have exactly what you want. Stop updating KSP to last version.

Edited by Corw

3 hours ago, MaximumThrust said:

Agreed, up to a point. Changes that are disruptive to mods should be limited to worthwhile releases, like  fixing the shoddy game engine or a significant collection of new content.
My gripe is not that there are new releases, it's that every new release is followed by 2 or 3 "hotfixes" for obvious new bugs, which often break mods all over again. And releasing new content that is a blatant rip-off of a good mod is a waste of time (commnet, eva parachutes).
Thus I am not installing 1.4.x any time soon.