Anyone mad about mods keeping up with latest updates?

Conric005

It‘s really simple, you can use steam and make an install of previous KSP versions, you don‘t need to play 1.4 just yet.

You‘re not entitled to get any mods, be a little grateful!

(English is not my first language, was that a correct use of the word entitlement?)

Edited by Human Person

I get mad at entitled people who expect reality to comport with their desires to the detriment of everyone else. :) 

KSP is great, mods are great, people have been whining about mods not getting updated since I started playing this game (0.19 lo those five years ago). 

"Same as it ever was, same as it ever was ..."

talking-heads-once-in-a-lifetime-1.jpg

Not mad at all.  Never even been close to mad about any issue with a mod.  Whether it's updates, glitches, new features.

I'm happy to test, troubleshoot, and will request features.  But neither me, or anyone else, is entitled to squat.  Every single mod maker out there could quit development this very moment.  While that might suck, it's nothing to be mad over.  You paid for the game, not for the mods.  Not a single modder gets paid for this and isn't obligated to do what they do.  If having a certain mod is absolutely necessary... write one yourself.

Personally I like the little update lull.  Granted, 1.4 is only my second update, and I still don't have it since GoG's always a bit behind.  Once 1.4 is available to me, I'll play stock for a little while until all the mods are I use the most are up to date (probably either updated, or tested and confirmed for 1.4.1.)

6 hours ago, MaximumThrust said:

What can make me "mad" it's the fact that now most updates from mods, and new mods, will be from the 1.4 version, and may not work properly in the 1.3.1 anymore. For example, I would be extremely mad if "Stockalike Station Parts Redux" was being release now, and only for 1.4.

Old versions are available for most if not all mods.

Also, except in a few cases, most mods are stable.

There are always code changes which the average player will be unaware of, but which changes things, usually for the better.  There can be new features added.

So you would rather stay with an old, stable version.  That's fine, but to expect everyone else to do so is unreasonable.

nope, can't be mad, or even slightly peeved. It's actually staggering what the mod community achieves, not just in creativity and skill but also in providing support (and no coder ever sits down and says "I'm going to write this thing so I can then provide support for it", it's always "yay, I've made a thing.....oh darn,  now people want support").  Most mods get updated really quickly, some a bit longer but that's ok. And sure some fall by the wayside, but most of the time someone (*glances at the post above*) picks them up and keeps them alive.

And I actually like the fresh start that happens with a new KSP release. I prefer to go full stock for a bit on each new KSP as you get a better sense of what's changed, so I take it as a good thing that the mods are not ready right away.

10 hours ago, Conric005 said:

So is anyone out there annoyed about mods not being compatible with latest updates? I know 1.4 just released and all, but deep down we all are mad about it. It could also be really old mods too.

I know a mod that adds in escape pod parts that just hasn't been able to keep up for some reason.

Not upset. It's been like this since the first versions of the game. Modders are ultimately humans with responsibilities beyond KSP so it's not really fair to expect mods to be updated right away. Personally I keep old copies around to play while I wait for mods to update. I'm not ready to part with my 1.3.1 save and I have an RSS save still running on 1.2.2.

3 hours ago, Corw said:

So you want devs to abandon game so that you can run even  the ancient mods? What the hell? At which version should have they stopped to please you?  0.12? 0.15? 1.0?

First of all, the list of "very importation mods" is yours and yours alone. Not a single mod you've mentioned is important to me. The features you've listed worth the update are completely irrelevant to me. I am comparing to my preference only to show you on the example how subjective "important" is.

If the updates are mostly discounted versions of things mods did for years, just to cause trouble for the mods, for sure. I played (and played a lot) the first time in the 0.anything, and a little in the 1.0 (when then introduced ISRU, IIRC). Came back in the 1.3, didn't see nothing interesting, if weren't for mods, it would be uninstalled. For what I saw, I think would be totally fine if it stopped in the 1.2 version.

Totally disagree. My list of very import mods that should be stock are widely shared, I see them cited a lot in any topic about best mods, or mods that should be stock. Infernal Robotics and Ven's Revamp are example of mods that didn't got an official update in a year or more, and are import to me. Something totally expected, because it's my post, about my opinion and what I think - something you don't see to deal very well.

4 hours ago, Corw said:

The best part is you can have exactly what you want. Stop updating KSP to last version.

Not really:

7 hours ago, MaximumThrust said:

[...]so I'll keep the 1.3.1 for an indefinite amount of time.

What can make me "mad" it's the fact that now most updates from mods, and new mods, will be from the 1.4 version, and may not work properly in the 1.3.1 anymore.[...]

Truth be told, I get mad when people bug me about not posting a new chapter fast enough... Why would I turn around and do the same thing to the mod-makers for not posting updates fast enough?

Mod-makers, please, take all the time you need... :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Old versions are available for most if not all mods.

Also, except in a few cases, most mods are stable.

There are always code changes which the average player will be unaware of, but which changes things, usually for the better.  There can be new features added.

So you would rather stay with an old, stable version.  That's fine, but to expect everyone else to do so is unreasonable.

Yes, but they don't include all the bug fixes, or new parts and new features. I tried to keep with the 1.3, using thingd for the 1.3.1, and it was not possible.

I do not expect that everyone think like me, or to impose it to anyone. What I said is my opinion, and what I would prefer. For me, the game it's only a base for the mods, wouldn't be even installed otherwise.

I think that I'll see how to recompile mods, to keep the 1.3.1 for a long time, being able to adjust any new mod or update, hope it's not very complicated. As far as I know, the most import part for this is the plugin in the form of a .dll, which people make unofficial recompiles all the time. If you know any tutorial/material on that, would be greatly appreciated :D

10 hours ago, TheCardinal said:

"Shut up" is a direct command with a meaning very similar to "be quiet"', but which is commonly perceived as a more forceful command to stop making noise or otherwise communicating, such as talking. The phrase is probably a shortened form of "shut up your mouth" or "shut your mouth up". Its use is generally considered rude and impolite, and may also considered a form of profanity by some. (Source: Wikipedia)

My apologies, Linuxgurugamer. I'm not a Moderator and i fully understand your anger, but please keep it civil especially as the poster is a newbie with absolutely not a clue about how things really work. 

Do you have any idea how many times modders get asked this question?  I may have been a bit strong, but really,  it's only been out for a couple of days.  And there is already a 1.4.1 patch announced which will be released on Tuesday.

5 hours ago, Nutt007 said:

Modders are ultimately humans with responsibilities beyond KSP

Moreover, they are under no obligation to provide any support or updates whatsoever. It's not like they're getting paid to do this.

Best,
-Slashy

16 hours ago, Conric005 said:

So is anyone out there annoyed about mods not being compatible with latest updates? I know 1.4 just released and all, but deep down we all are mad about it. It could also be really old mods too.

I know a mod that adds in escape pod parts that just hasn't been able to keep up for some reason.

I'm bothered, and maybe just a little mad, that the casual player is not aware of how short the time between 1.4.0 release, and 1.4.1 release is, and expect that modders pump out updates for 1.4.0.

I'm mad that the casual player so hastily installs the next version of KSP and expects mods to be unfailing or to update on time...every time. :/ 

I'm not mad that modders may take a bit to update, it's perfectly reasonable. I'm more annoyed that they have to update in the first place. I wish the API would be frozen for a few versions, or some other solution that would add some better long term stability for UMC (this is a blanket statement for any software that has UMC btw). I've yet to see a project that didn't break stuff on update though so I doubt it'll happen. I'm also annoyed that so many projects require mods to round out basic needs and QoL features. But the modding community itself is incredibly creative and awesome :D

16 hours ago, Conric005 said:

Statements like this make me mad.   Seems like a pretty self centered and ignorant stance to take.  

17 hours ago, Conric005 said:

No. They are doing this as a hobby and as such have other priorities. Just wait and some time in the (hopefully near) future, your favorite mod will be available for 1.4.x... :D

8 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Being mad about some strangers not giving you free stuff at a moment’s notice is weird. 

Welcome to the world of today. You guys all need to work harder so I can have more free stuff. I'm entitled to it. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Do you have any idea how many times modders get asked this question?  I may have been a bit strong, but really,  it's only been out for a couple of days.  And there is already a 1.4.1 patch announced which will be released on Tuesday.

You, Sir, have far more patience than I do. I'd have told them all to go .....

...well, you know.

The timing seems right, so here goes...