First time you hear about Kerbal Space Program

Saphirence

Just want to share my experience on ksp and how I encounter it in the past

me as a kid in 2012 are really into an astronomy and space stuff and I wonder is there any game that let you play as nasa or space agency, launching rocket and stuff.

I google it and found Kerbal Space Program. at first a thought pfft this game looks unfinish and look cheap. at that time it was version 0.13 but regardless I try it (by pirated it...ugh..ugh) anyway I am glad I did because I still play it to this day (and buying it from steam as soon I have my own laptop). I usually dont run ksp on steam so I dont have the record of how long I play this game but I think its about 600 hour atleast for the last 5 year

also while on you tube I saw the fake trailer of ksp, I remember saw that vid a long time ago. that vid is legend and the music stuck into my head

the first time? yeah....
it's 2013-2014 ish, still a re**rded kid back then, looking some random Strandbeest videos then i see a vid that looks like from a game (actually KSP with IR, realized it after several years later), but not pretty interested with it
jump to the beginning of 2017, found random KSP vids again, getting interested with this and started finding it somewhere else in the internet. found SWDennis and Danny2462, started downloading this then (ver 1.3 at the time) 

I friend told me in 2015 or so, "look at this new indie game, you can go to space and do missions". I imagined something exactly like this:

wine-1353780989.png

Which didn't catch my attention.

Then he sent me a video from youtubers from my country, playing it without a clue of what they were doing, trying to save Jebediah, which got stuck in orbit in a previous video. It was instant love.

@Saphirence My story is pretty much similar to you, I was really into space as a kid and I still do, I also wondered if there were any space games that gave me the NASA vibes then I found a video of jacksepticeye playing it back at the beginning of 2014 when I first saw it, and yeah i really wanted it... i didn't have any money so I did exactly what you did. Until I bought it in 2015 on steam because I got tired of having to redownload it every time an update comes up.

Then I found out that I can play the game with mods, I installed some mods back then and they didn't work, turns out I didn't know that i should have module manager installed lol.

and I got to where I am.

Edited by Space_taco

22 minutes ago, MaximumThrust said:

I friend told me in 2015 or so, "look at this new indie game, you can go to space and do missions". I imagined something exactly like this:

wine-1353780989.png

Which didn't catch my attention.

Then he sent me a video from youtubers from my country, playing it without a clue of what they were doing, trying to save Jebediah, which got stuck in orbit in a previous video. It was instant love.

lol if you think about it, ksp is as complicated as the first pic you post.  the different is that ksp has less hud and was run by small tiny green people

Edited by Saphirence

On 3/10/2018 at 9:28 AM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Hmm...I can't really even remember.

I think it was one of those YouTube "Top10 indie games" type of lists.

ExtraCredits' "10 Games You Might Not Have Tried", by any chance?

Was really just by happenstance that I came across this game. I was in my second semester of a Planetary Geology class and one of the semester projects was to design a Mars rover mission. While looking for pictures of rover parts during a search, it showed some mods from the game. Curiosity, and slight ADD took hold and I took a further look. I downloaded the demo, noticed I wanted/needed mods and threw my money at them the following week. I used screenshots and some video from the game for my final presentation. 

Steam has it in the "early access" green light games. I went to the KSP store page and bought it there first... Had problems downloading it and repurchased it about two weeks later through steam (.18) Been hooked ever since.

Way back in 2013, (maybe around April, actually) I was trying to look up information about the Soviet N1 rocket and related stuff. Anyway, I stumbled across a trailer for Kerbal Space Program v0.19.

I immediately went to my parents and asked. Got it around my birthday.

My purchase date says 2013-12-21.

I can't remember very much from that far back, but I do remember that I had heard about it from various sources, but for some reason it was described to me in a manner that made me think it was like a .. spreadsheet simulator (no, not Eve).

Later on, I saw a live video (don't remember which one) and realized it was more about flying rockets than allocating funds and stuff.

Since then, I've landed on everything that can be landed on (well, that I'd expect to be landable; I've never tried a Jool or Sun/Kerbol landing), and returned.

It was a cold, rainy night, with the trees, bending to the will of the merciless wind -nah, it wasn't like that :P

A friend mentioned it as a good game, but I could've sworn I had come across it's name before... Anyway, I initially dismissed it -little green people and such.

Changed my tune around it's official release, when curiosity prevailed, took a look at videos & streams and began to realize it's a lot more serious on the inside.

The first time I ever heard of Kerbal would have been January 2012.    This Video    It looked cheap and very unfinished so I wrote it off.   

Didn't discover it again till March 2013,     Version 0.19       some other youtube channel I think.   Man all that missed playing I could have done.

I first heard of Kerbal Space Program when the DLC Controversy happened, which resulted in a rather bizarre firestorm on the gaming news websites I used to read. (Mid-April of 2013.) It looked interesting, but I was busy at the time so I bookmarked it and forgot about it.

I didn’t buy the game until more than a month later, while I was recovering from surgery. I’d spent the better part of two days as a zombie playing GameDev Tycoon while tripping on some very strong painkillers. When I came back down to Earth I found the bookmark I’d saved for KSP and very quickly left the Earth (or Kerbin) again. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.