1.4 on GOG.com?

RealKerbal3x

Very sorry if this thread seems nagging, but I have a simple question.

On Wednesday version 1.4 was released on Steam, and it was said that it:

will soon be available on GOG and other third party resellers

Now I bought KSP on GOG.com because there was a price reduction at the time (£17.99 rather than £29.99). I didn't know that GOG was a 'third party reseller'. My question is, when will I (and everyone else who bought on GOG) be able to download 1.4?

Sorry in advance if someone else has already asked this question, or if it's in the wrong subforum.

I don't remember how long I had to wait for 1.3.1, I wanna say it was about a week.

Don't bother asking them about it, you'll just get something like this:

Hello,
I'm afraid that I can't comment on any upcoming deals and releases (or lack thereof). I can only assure you that we're doing everything possible to get our hands on the best content possible.

Unfortunately the process can be very complicated. There are many variables to take into account when trying to secure distribution rights from a publisher or developer, and it's not always possible to come to a compromise that satisfies all . This is especially true for GOG, as we want to uphold our core values (like no copy protection, or fair pricing), which do not always fit well into how the industry generally works. It gets even more complex with old content, especially games, whose rights are often in a state of "legal limbo".

Check out this Q/A video, featuring one of my superiors - Marcin Iwinski, for a first-hand view of how it works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrk7R5mSgzI

Also, I strongly suggest checking out Community Wishlist - while this won't make us get rights for these titles all of a sudden, every vote counts! :)
http://www.gog.com/wishlist

Finally, please stay tuned and check out our news page every week for new release info.

Definitely a generic response, since I specifically asked about KSP 1.4 and MH.

Edited by Geonovast

Just get 1.4.1.  The .1 is a patch, but the 1.4.1 download will be a full install.  No reason to get 1.4 first unless you just don't want to wait for 1.4.1.

I'm not going to bother with 1.4.  I'm waiting anyway, so I'll just wait for 1.4.1.

3 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I'm (kind of impatiently) waiting to play with those Kerbal 'chutes

If you're really that impatient, there is a mod for that.

Assuming it gets update, I'm gonna use the mod instead/with the stock chutes, since it has ejection seats, and you don't have to EVA the kerbals individually.

6 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I'm not going to bother with 1.4.  I'm waiting anyway, so I'll just wait for 1.4.1

[...]

Assuming it gets update, I'm gonna use the mod instead/with the stock chutes, since it has ejection seats, and you don't have to EVA the kerbals individually.

OK. I have 7 mods installed so it's probably better to wait till they are all compatible.

I'm going to wait for Tuesday so I can get 1.4.1 AND the DLC in one day. So much more stuff to play with!!

I don't know. Maybe it'll be discontinued, because when what was originally a mod feature gets integrated into stock, there's not much point using that mod anymore. Ejection seats would be interesting though.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

I have ksp on Gog and noticed the update not long after the announcement, so it should be there already for few days. But maybe that's because I have it downloaded so it just needs an update through GOG Galaxy. The actual installer could not be here yet I guess?

Edited by The Aziz

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

This is why I don't buy anything from GoG. I'd rather pay a couple extra bucks than wait for updates.

I'll still take GOG over Steam anyday, for the DRM-free promise. But the SQUAD store gets you both, so long as nobody pulls the "prerelease only on steam" BS again.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

This is why I don't buy anything from GoG. I'd rather pay a couple extra bucks than wait for updates.

I wait anyway, because, well, mods. They take much longer to update than new version appears on GOG, so I'm not complaining. I'm more curious how the Making History is going to work there.

21 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I don't know. Maybe it'll be discontinued, because when what was originally a mod feature gets integrated into stock, there's not much point using that mod anymore. Ejection seats would be interesting though.

Possibly, but not everything in the mod is now in stock.  AFAIK, the stock chutes don't have ejection seats.

3 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I have ksp on Gog and noticed the update not long after the announcement, so it should be there already for few days. But maybe that's because I have it downloaded so it just needs an update through GOG Galaxy. The actual installer could not be here yet I guess?

I don't use Galaxy, I suppose it makes sense they'll update through that first.

It's not like 1.3.1 suddenly stopped working or being enjoyable.

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I know.....I was saying it would be interesting to play around with ejection seats:D

Yeah, I got that lol.  I meant that since the ejection seats aren't in stock, the mod is unlikely to retire.

1.4 is out on GOG.com, yay!!! :D

Although I am confused about how to download it. There are 4 things to download there:
Kerbal Space Program (Part 1 of 2) 1.4.1.2089

Kerbal Space Program (Part 2 of 2) 1.4.1.2089

Kerbal Space Program (32-bit) (Part 1 of 2) 1.4.1.2089

Kerbal Space Program (32-bit) (Part 2 of 2) 1.4.1.2089

I tried downloading the first one, but it didn't let me (something about it not being able to locate the file, which is weird). @Geonovast maybe you can shed some light on the situation??

Might need to get on tech support on that, I'm able to download the first two just fine.

The Linux and Mac pages only each have one download, so it's nice and simple for us :D

But it seems they changed things up from 1.3, which just had two options, 32 and 64 bit.

Part 1 seems to be a very small .exe, and Part 2 is a large bin.  I would assume you stick them in the same directory, and run the exe, which will install using the bin file.

6 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Might need to get on tech support on that, I'm able to download the first two just fine.

The Linux and Mac pages only each have one download, so it's nice and simple for us :D

But it seems they changed things up from 1.3, which just had two options, 32 and 64 bit.

Part 1 seems to be a very small .exe, and Part 2 is a large bin.  I would assume you stick them in the same directory, and run the exe, which will install using the bin file.

OK, I'll try that :)

Also, before they added 1.4 to GOG it had all of those downloads as version 1.3.1 as well as another called 'Patch 1.3.1', if that helps.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

Installing this update is very confusing, mostly because I haven't done it before.

I kept getting that error message when I tried to install the part 1 of the update. Eventually I realised that I had to install the .BIN file first. I put that in the Windows C:/GOG Games/Kerbal Space Program folder. Then I installed the other part and put it in the same place. It then came up with a message saying that I was about to install KSP. But I stopped there because I didn't know if it was going to make another install of KSP or update my current install.

I am a noob at this kind of stuff. I wish it was like the App Store where you just hit the big 'Update' button and it updates with one click.

3 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I wish it was like the App Store where you just hit the big 'Update' button and it updates with one click.

Thats the Steam version. Bought, paid for, downloaded and installed the entirety in under 2 minutes.

8 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

But I stopped there because I didn't know if it was going to make another install of KSP or update my current install.

Just put them in a new directory, then it can't overwrite your current game.

Just now, klesh said:

You're going to hate this.  It's currently 50% off on Steam.  http://store.steampowered.com/app/220200/Kerbal_Space_Program/  :confused:

It is at GoG too https://www.gog.com/game/kerbal_space_program

Generally, if it's on sale at one of them, it's on sale everywhere.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.