So I created a new logo/avatar for myself...

StrandedonEarth

Which avatar should I use...  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which avatar do you like best?

• The Thrint Head
    • the "StrandedonEarth" logo
    • Combined
    • Kerbart's Well-Rounded logo
    • Martian on Beach

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/18/2018 at 08:00 AM

But I'm not sure if I like it. I may just go back to my old avatar of Kzanol, the thrintun from Larry Niven's World of Ptaavs, who was stuck in stasis on Earth for over a billion years, which fit my handle perfectly.

I created it mostly as a signature logo for any new videos or memes I may make in the future.

So I just can't decide... This?

yxMtfoQ.gif

or this?

iQjSeoY.jpg

I also tried to combine them, but then it's not really legible at all as an avatar...

w8X8k4d.jpg

Edit: Added Kerbart's contribution to the poll...

E2 And then there's...

ZHDnEkT.jpg?2

Edited by StrandedonEarth

TBH your original logo of an Earth-textured words is fine - the problem lies in contrasts. You need a large enough area for your Earth texture, you need a large enough text yet you can only have one in a profile picture.

I say try something with maps. I'll try one.

Edited by YNM

2 minutes ago, YNM said:

TBH your original logo of an Earth-textured words is fine - the problem lies in contrasts. You need a large enough are for your Earth texture, you need a large enough text yet you can only have one in a profile picture.

I say try something with maps. I'll try one.

Yeah, I used the "Blue Marble" as a backdrop, but I think the clouds hurt the contrast

21 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

but I think the clouds hurt the contrast

Actually, the clouds are fine. The problem is the variety of colours. I'm trying one off Google's "satellite-view globe", which have washed-out ground colours and near-consistent sea colour.

It's sort of the same problem with people who make words with a different colour for every character - there's just too much variety.

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

I think you should use something that visually expresses your username, like a background of a peaceful lakeshore with lots of nice foliage, and then a guy in a space suit doing this:

LjVPvod.png

Well, I managed to create this:

ZHDnEkT.jpg?2

I do like the "Magic Select" feature in Paint3D

22 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Well, I managed to create this:

Nice! Your astronaut looks properly despairing.

22 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I do like the "Magic Select" feature in Paint3D

I used the magic wand in GIMP. I tried drawing the concept freehand first, but it came out like a first grader drew it.

Hmmm, I guess this works as an avatar too. It's The Martian. But for a video/meme signature I still think I need to colorize Kerbart's, when I have more time to spare from doing chores, instead of (supposedly) snacking

1 hour ago, YNM said:

Here's my try :

[x]

Texture only noticeable on large scale though. At small scale it's just vague blue.

You could reverse it. Have the earth there and cut the letters out in black.

Main issue remains scale, as you mentioned. I would shy away from photos and pick something stylistic (“But Kerbart, you have some Soviet-era propaganda poster, that's pretty much a photo.”  “Yes, but it's not a logo either.”)

Nice! The avatar gets cut off at the bottom, you'll probably need to resize it just a bit when uploading it to the forum. I like it! But I might be biased...

Edit: I see you're working on it. Make sure it's 150×150 pixels!

Edited by Kerbart

Here's the image as a 150×150 icon (png):

8yGH0eL.png

And here's the large (750×750) one.

GiL50VS.png

I added some whitespace so that should stop it from running into the edges.

1 minute ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Fixed, I just had to make the original canvas a little bigger so the resizer could crop properly

It looks P-E-R-F-E-C-T!!

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Not bad, but it more resembles a sun.

... in a vain attempt of getting any contrast...

But yeah, I like the current colored one.

2 hours ago, Kerbart said:

You could reverse it. Have the earth there and cut the letters out in black.

I considered having a double-line-colour text, but I can't get them to work (I'm only trustworthy at paint, not even paint3d).

Maybe a typefont sort of the one used for Star Wars logo with the black set at transparent.

2 hours ago, Kerbart said:

I would shy away from photos and pick something stylistic (“But Kerbart, you have some Soviet-era propaganda poster, that's pretty much a photo.”  “Yes, but it's not a logo either.”)

Haha, mine is vaguely a rainbow after a good distance... I'm just not bothered changing it across my .net presence...

Edited by YNM

13 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Edit: I see you're working on it. Make sure it's 150×150 pixels!

Actually, any size seems to work, the forum software automatically resizes it and then lets you adjust the crop, as long as it's (almost?) square, which is what caused the initial difficulty

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.