A little bit cross!

NewtSoup

Ok.

So I updated KSP and cleared my mods out to work out what was compatible and what was not ( add them one at a time )
My important ones were:

Kerbal Engineer Redux 
X Science
Docking Port Alignment Indicator
Precise Node

I thought I would add the mods one by one to see what works and what doesn't

Loaded my sandbox game with no mods at all and instead of refusing to load because mods were missing it loaded the game and removed any ship with a missing part! 

So Now I have 3 missions that I was doing in Sandbox completely gone.  I didn't have any quick saves .. just the main persistent one.  And now my ships are gone!  Is there a backup save directory?

This is a common occurrence when trying to load games that are missing parts.  It's highly advised to not try to load a game if you have removed parts that are on active vessels.   It's a common suggestion to have this get a warning popup when trying to load a game, rather than just delete ships. 

In your saves directory, there should be a list of backup saves, find the most recent one.  Reinstall all your mods, testing as necessary on a new game, then when you have the same modlist, reload the backed up save.   If you haven't done anything to cause an auto save to happen, you might get away with using your persistence file. 

Thanks. I recovered my save files. Still not sure what happened to Valentina in her ion drive ship.  She Was orbiting Duna but must have gone much earlier than today  I’m sure she will respawn though  

You can manually edit ship and save files to remove references to parts that aren't available.... Or you might want to wait until your mods have updated... That might take a while though.

Generally you want to avoid updating KSP until your mods have. :(

2 hours ago, SpaceMouse said:

Or you might want to wait until your mods have updated... That might take a while though.

Generally you want to avoid updating KSP until your mods have. :(

I generally leave my old install alone and install the new version in a new folder, but I don't have KSP on Steam. I have about 34GB worth of KSP installs on my D: drive, never mind what's on the NAS.

If using Steam, the best bet is to copy your Steam KSP install to a completely different folder as soon as it's installed, and play from there. This prevents Steam from updating your played game when you don't expect it, but it won't keep track of your hours played either. (I was wrong about the hours, see below)

Edited by StrandedonEarth

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

...but it won't keep track of your hours played either.

There is a way. You have to open your Steam library and in KSP's launch options, instruct Steam to launch the external copy instead. For example:

"<path to your external KSP Steam copy>\KSP_x64.exe" %command%

As far as Steam is concerned, you're launching an authenticated & unlocked title, without it being bothered by the path. Steam overlay comes up and your playtime is tracked.

I tried it on a hunch, a couple of weeks ago. It works.

Edited by Atkara

1 minute ago, Atkara said:

There is a way. You have open your Steam library and in KSP's launch options, instruct Steam to launch the external copy instead. For example:

"<path to your external KSP Steam copy>\KSP_x64.exe" %command%

As far as Steam is concerned, you're launching an authenticated & unlocked title, without it being bothered by the path. Steam overlay comes up and your playtime is tracked.

I tried it on a hunch, a couple of weeks ago. It works.

Thanks, since I don't use Steam much, I had no idea that was possible.

This has to be my only major gripe about the game.

Either refuse to load the save, or give the option to continue, acknowledging that crafts will be deleted.  I don't understand why on Kerbin they defaulted to "Just delete everything and immediately save, I'm sure everyone would be fine with that."

Well, at least it does what it does only on the persistent.sfs. This is the save file it loads up and writes on. Named saves are left untouched, unless the player chooses to overwrite them.

Edited by Atkara

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

This has to be my only major gripe about the game.

Either refuse to load the save, or give the option to continue, acknowledging that crafts will be deleted.  I don't understand why on Kerbin they defaulted to "Just delete everything and immediately save, I'm sure everyone would be fine with that."

Yeah.. I have to say this is how it should work.  refuse to load - warn if missing mods will remove vehicles - player override to say "yeah go ahead" - and it was what I was expecting rather than "oh, by the way so and so a ship no longer exists.. toodles!"

8 minutes ago, MR L A said:

Hello fellow Leicester person!

Innit

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Thanks, since I don't use Steam much, I had no idea that was possible.

Steam runs the 32 bit KSP by default you can also do "add non steam game" then browse to the 64bit version and run that.  You get the overlay and frame counter.  Though to be honest I just have symlink to the 64 bit launcher on my desktop these days.

16 minutes ago, NewtSoup said:

Steam runs the 32 bit KSP by default you can also do "add non steam game" then browse to the 64bit version and run that.  You get the overlay and frame counter.  Though to be honest I just have symlink to the 64 bit launcher on my desktop these days.

Well whaddaya know, had no idea about that either. Thanks! Learned a few new things today!

13 hours ago, NewtSoup said:

It didn't ask me the first time I ran 1.4.0, and launched the 32-bit edition, but the second time, it put up a dialog about which one to run.  Dunno if that's a regular thing or not, as I normally run the store edition of the game...

2 minutes ago, Renegrade said:

It didn't ask me the first time I ran 1.4.0, and launched the 32-bit edition, but the second time, it put up a dialog about which one to run.  Dunno if that's a regular thing or not, as I normally run the store edition of the game...

That's interesting because it's never asked me which one to run.  I use the latest linux steam beta.  But as I say, I just created as link to the 64bit executable on my desktop.

4 minutes ago, NewtSoup said:

That's interesting because it's never asked me which one to run.  I use the latest linux steam beta.  But as I say, I just created as link to the 64bit executable on my desktop.

I think that's only an issue with the Windows ones.  I think the Linux version is smart enough to know what system it's on.  At least I'm making the assumption, since GoG has 4 installers.  Linux, Mac, Win32 and Win64.

1 minute ago, NewtSoup said:

That might be a platform difference between Windohs and Linux Steam then.  For whatever reason though, it did NOT ask the first time, ran out of memory a few hours in (despite being completely unmodded aside from my silly doge flag), and crashed.. and then starting asking when I relaunched.

I'm just running the regular stable edition, I don't think they currently have an experimental, do they?

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

I think that's only an issue with the Windows ones.  I think the Linux version is smart enough to know what system it's on.  At least I'm making the assumption, since GoG has 4 installers.  Linux, Mac, Win32 and Win64.

No, she said it runs the 32-bit one by default.  Traditionally in KSP,  that was the one you wanted.  Unity's 64-bit support was even spottier and crappier than usual Unity stuff back in the day.  The crappiness has leveled out of late, so it's actually a valid choice, but prior, the 32-bit default was the safe choice.

I actually can't tell the difference when I load the game now.  I'm sure it used to say if it was running 32 bits in the bottom left corner.  But now when I run either client it just gives me the build number.  So yeah, I'm confused now.  I've even looked at the log file but that doesn't tell me if i'm running ksp.x86 or ksp.x84_64 either.

3 minutes ago, Renegrade said:

No, she said it runs the 32-bit one by default.  Traditionally in KSP,  that was the one you wanted.  Unity's 64-bit support was even spottier and crappier than usual Unity stuff back in the day.  The crappiness has leveled out of late, so it's actually a valid choice, but prior, the 32-bit default was the safe choice.

I appear to have misread something.  You're right.

It must be something with the way GoG packages it then.  With GoG, KSP is downloaded as a .sh file that you mark as executable and run.  All it asks you is install location and shortcut options.

Yes.. the linux steam client runs 32 bit KSP by default

I created a desktop shortcut from steam - this has the command "steam steam://rungameid/220200" in it

I then browsed to my Kerbal Space Program folder and renamed

ksp.x86 

to:

ksp.x86.old

Then I double clicked the steam desktop shortcut and Steam gave me an error message related to the ksp.x86 executable

Also I had no idea that the in KSP the Unity 64bit support was a bit sketchy 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.