KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

16 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

The seismometer is biome specific.

I know. But let's do maths: the stock system has 17 celestial bodies and 145 biomes. It means that the Seismometer can take 145 measurements (with base science value of 20) and the Magnetometer 34 (in low and high orbits, base science value of 25). With similar masses and the the 15x difference in costs, the Magnetometer is 3.4 more efficient than the Seismometer. The advantage over the Thermometer (200 possible measurements, science value 8, cost 900) and the Barometer (157 measurements, science value 10, cost 880) is 2.4 times.

Of course, the author can use whatever values they like and nobody must make their parts absolutely equal to the stock parts. But with a mod so deep and so popular, I think balancing is important.

Edited by garwel

16 minutes ago, garwel said:

I know. But let's do maths: the stock system has 17 celestial bodies and 145 biomes. It means that the Seismometer can take 145 measurements (with base science value of 20) and the Magnetometer 34 (in low and high orbits, base science value of 25). With similar masses and the the 15x difference in costs, the Magnetometer is 3.4 more efficient than the Seismometer. The advantage over the Thermometer (200 possible measurements, science value 8, cost 900) and the Barometer (157 measurements, science value 10, cost 880) is 2.4 times.

Of course, the author can use whatever values they like and nobody must make their parts absolutely equal to the stock parts. But with a mod so deep and so popular, I think balancing is important.

KSPI-E is intended to play with some sort of bigger tech-tree (CTT in stock, but I think ETT will work fine too). These tech-trees need way more science to fully unlock (really a big number, I think more than 100k), so your balance suggestion is not really an issue. However if you feel that you are gaining too much science you can always lower it in your settings. Also KSPI-E uses science for retrofit or upgrading some parts, so I don't think it is unbalanced. Because.. you know, you have no 100 000 ISP engines in stock neither, so if starting to speak about unbalance...

This mod is more for late game usage, when you think that stock "just more boosters to eve" no more fun and want some different techs (and challenges). And with that techs you wont think that magnetometer is too OP,  when you need thousands of science per tech node.

Edited by Khalkion

Just to let you know, we built the first working solar thermal mirror ..!!! Unlike the one we have in KSPI-E, it works with 3atm compressed air instead of molten salt. Thet reach 900°C and run a special microturbine for direct eletricity generation ..!!

http://www.repubblica.it/scienze/2017/09/21/news/l_enea_presenta_il_disco_solare_per_condomini_e_piccole_industrie-176122920/?ref=nrct-2#gallery-slider=176124125

Did anyone manage to launch from (RSS Mod) Earth, land on Moon and get back on Earth in one day without warp drive and antimatter using SSTO spaceplane?

I almost did it with my spaceplane, that had 2.5m plasma jet fusion reactor (no charged particles with 100 000 K core) with thermal generator and plasma engine and two 1.25m thermal turbojets powered by 1.25m fusion reactor, (no charged particles, 3500 K core).

It uses compressed air for plasma engine for ascent to orbit and around 20 000 m/s DV for cislunar operations.

Sadly this spaceplane was betrayed by landing autopilot.

I first bumped apophasis to 38 000 km and then I burned straight to moon and had encounter with it in 15h.

Edited by raxo2222

3 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

Did anyone manage to launch from Earth, land on Moon and get back on Earth in one day without warp drive and antimatter using SSTO spaceplane?

I almost did it with my spaceplane, that had 2.5m plasma jet fusion reactor (no charged particles with 100 000 K core) with thermal generator and plasma engine and two 1.25m thermal turbojets powered by 1.25m fusion reactor, (no charged particles, 3500 K core).

It uses compressed air for plasma engine for ascent to orbit and around 20 000 m/s DV for cislunar operations.

Sadly this spaceplane was betrayed by landing autopilot.

I first bumped apophasis to 38 000 km and then I burned straight to moon and had encounter with it in 15h.

earth to moon?  do you mean literally, as in RSS, or do you mean Kerbin to Mun?  RSS is one thing I haven't tried playing with... but Kerbin to Mun, yeah, I've done the roundtrip in a non-antimatter non-warp SSTO.

7 hours ago, ss8913 said:

earth to moon?  do you mean literally, as in RSS, or do you mean Kerbin to Mun?  RSS is one thing I haven't tried playing with... but Kerbin to Mun, yeah, I've done the roundtrip in a non-antimatter non-warp SSTO.

yeah with RSS

Hi Everybody,

I've been playing KSP since just before career mode was added, and running KSPI & KSPIE for ages. (probably since it's inception)

I've watched the tutorials multiple times and the one thing I find lacking is examples of actual ships. 

I've developed a several vessels and come up with some designs that I've used over and over. In my present run through I've reached the point that I'm exhausting the science available from Kerbin and it's moons, and have the tech tree up to having most of the 1000 tier completed. (I'm about to unlock fusion reactors) There have been several improvements since I last reached this point, and I'm a little uncertain as to how to put the parts together.

I've been looking, but haven't found a good collection of KSPI example ships.

I suspect there's something out there that I just haven't found yet. If there is, could someone post a link?

Otherwise, could some of you post examples of the mid to late game ships you've come up with?
(I'll try and find some of my old work and post them here tonight)

Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, tmbomber said:

Otherwise, could some of you post examples of the mid to late game ships you've come up with?

(I'll try and find some of my old work and post them here tonight)

Thanks in advance!

KSPIE is diverse and it realy depends on your unlocked techs and intended mission which parts would be best. Every reactor and engine has advantages and disadvantages, some of them might not be obvious to new players, but in general you can apply some common sense. Looking only at power output, thrust or isp is often no the best strategy, properties like latency, waste-heat efficiency, radiation and fuel flexibility can make or break a mission. KSPI is build on the philosophy of modularity and flexibility. Parts work together to achieve a goal, this can make it more complex for new players but it also allows for much more customization and freedom. The complexity isn't thrown at you all at once, but will be unlocked over time. Reactor technology alone is not enough to get the most out of KSPI, other tech branches like Electrics, Storage, Heat-management, energy science and computer tech allow you to create much more rounded vessels.

1 hour ago, AHeroReborn said:

How do reactors work?  Is there a differents between Electric charge and Megawatts?

Reactor work by converting a fuel in a higher energy state to a waste product into a lower energy state. The energy output is Thermal energy and Charged particles.  The Thermal Energy and charge particles can then be used to directly be used for propulsion (with thermal, plasma or magnetic nozzles) or converted into Electric power using power generators. Some reactors have integrated power generator but most most reactors need to be directly connected with external power generators to make them function.

Power generator generators produce Megajoules (which is about 1000 more powerfull as ElectricCharge) which is more than just another resource, it also has prioritization and buffering system. Besides megajoules, it also produces ElectricCharge depending on it needs. Every conversion from one form of energy into another form produces wasteheat because of efficiency loses. When Wasteheat accumulates it affect the performance of electric power devices, limiting their capacity and efficiency. Some parts are affected more than others. To prevent to high levels of wasteheat, you need to get rid of the wasteheat or to sustainable levels. This is achieved by equipping your vessel with sufficient amount of radiators that dissipate wasteheat into space.

Edited by FreeThinker

How do you keep your electric engines thermal efficiency above 80% while utilizing full power of reactor?

It seems like thermal/plasma/magnetic/fusion engines are much more efficient in terms of waste heat than electric engines.

Is it possible to have VTOL spacecraft on Venus surface? Gravity is 1 g and pressure is >80 MPa meaning only fusion/antimatter reactors powering thermal turbojet will work.

I built 3 spaceplanes:

1.25m is capable of ascent to orbit.

2.5m one can reach moon in 2 - 3 days.

and 5m (shown in screenshoot) should be capable to go anywhere except lower atmosphere of gas giants in solar system.

https://imgur.com/a/CAGRt

It has 5m fusion engine and 3.75m thermal turbojet and plasma jets.

Edited by raxo2222

1 hour ago, AHeroReborn said:

can i use solar panels instead.

Yes you can power all electric equipment on solar panels only  but solar power is a lot less powerful most of the time. A noticeable exception is if you build thermal solar  power station in low kerbol/sun orbit and beam the power around your solar system. Electric engine can run well on solar power because they can run in timewarp mode, allowing you to burn of a months into a few seconds. What is also possible are hybrid solution in which you combine solar power with fusion propulsion like the Magneto Inertial Fusion Engine, which can use solar power and use it to produces fusion explosion to generate thrust.

14 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

How do you keep your electric engines thermal efficiency above 80% while utilizing full power of reactor?

This usual y involves using processes that produces only or mostly charged particles as the can be converted directly into electric power at high efficiencies (90%) and are less affected by wasteheat buildup.

7 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

It seems like thermal/plasma/magnetic/fusion engines are much more efficient in terms of waste heat than electric engines.

Correct the propulsion engines directly use the reactors energy to generate thrust and therefore don't need intermediate power transfer that cause large amount of wasteheat. The still have inefficiencies but does not translate into wasteheat accumulation. The big disadvantage is that method of propulsion is less flexibly. For instance you cannot beam energy to other vessels. Another exception might be charged partices which might be quite  effective at propelling vessels at short distances, but it is not implemented yet.

7 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

Is it possible to have VTOL spacecraft on Venus surface? Gravity is 1 g and pressure is >80 MPa meaning only fusion/antimatter reactors powering thermal turbojet will work.

correct, thermal turbojet and ramjet are you best options here

Edited by FreeThinker

59 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Correct the propulsion engines directly use the reactors energy to generate thrust and therefore don't need intermediate power transfer the cause large amount of wasteheat. The still have inefficiencies but does not translate into wasteheat accumulation. The big disadvantage is that method of propulsion is less flexibly. For instance you cannot beam energy to other vessels. Another exception might be charged partices which might be quite  effective at propelling vessels at short distances, but it is not implemented yet.

correct, thermal turbojet and ramjet are you best options here

Fusion engines use electricity but have Q factor of few hundred to few thousands -  I used thrust*ISP (engine power) divided by electricity consumed (power drawn by engine) to calculate it.

That means I get same thrust with 100 - 1000 times less waste heat produced than electric engine producing same thrust while having better ISP appropriately.

Well ramjet is fine if you are already flying at high speed.

So thermal turbojets are best option when it comes to mass/thrust ratio.

Atillas are flattest propulsion system for VTOL.

Edited by raxo2222

https://imgur.com/a/pRtao

Here are all fusion engines (5m sized): electricity consumption/thrust/ISP/Q factor

Stellarator uses D+Li6 fusion.

Magneto Inertial Fusion Engine: 83.3 MW, 225.3 kN, 4543.9 s, 12.3 - D+T Fusion and Lithium6 propellant.

Daedalus: 200 MW, 600 kN, 1000 000 s, 3000 - Fusion Pellets (D+He3) propellant/fuel.

Vista Fusion Engine: 2000 MW, 391.3 kN, 27144 s, 5.3 - D+T Fusion and Hydrogen propellant.

Kerbstein Fusion Engine: 11000 MW, 3700 kN, 500000 s, 168.2 - Li7+H propellant/fuel.

Do all Q factors get better if i scale up engines?

Why Magneto-Inertial Fusion Engine doesn't show how much energy it consumes?

What about making fusion engines show how much thrust will generate?

Why this reactor can get its power production above 100%?

https://imgur.com/a/gTGGf

Edit: This happens to 5 out of 6 fusion reactors.

https://imgur.com/a/22Vyz

Why there is no options for H-O18 or H-N15 fusion reactors? I attached fuel tanks with proper resources.

It seems like solar energy received is calculated from distance to surface of star not from center of star.

so I guess there needs to be adjustement in energy collected.

https://imgur.com/a/Z7hYY

also I had to disable FAR as it goes insane with huge parts and slows down game.

It seems like boiling rate is very low. Especially on surface of Venus. For tiniest spherical tank of He3.

https://imgur.com/a/RPcy7

Edited by raxo2222

9 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

It seems like solar energy received is calculated from distance to surface of star not from center of star.

so I guess there needs to be adjustement in energy collected.

https://imgur.com/a/Z7hYY

Why do you think so? You recieve power that was radiated from the surface, there is no know realitstic way to utilize power from center of star with keeping star "alive".

13 minutes ago, Khalkion said:

Why do you think so? You recieve power that was radiated from the surface, there is no know realitstic way to utilize power from center of star with keeping star "alive".

lol I pointed bug in game,  where stars get full supernova as you get close to surface (stars gets noticeably brightening at around 10 stellar radius)

Space ship should heat up to thousands not bilions of kelvins near surface of star and for sun flux is around 60 MW per square meter for sun.

AIegHSF.jpg

There solar flux seems to be at 21 000 000 MW/square meter and temperature is at 34 milion kelvins.

Should be 60 MW and 5600 kelvins at this situation.

Edited by raxo2222