KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

3 hours ago, Mine_Turtle said:

Is it just me or is AM reactor stupidly powerful? 2.5m produces 1TW of power, more than QSR. Even though it is supposed to be balanced by the fact that AM is expensive and hard to come by, I feel that this reactor should be rebalanced for gameplay purposes as it makes every other reactor obsolete.

Only few percent - 4% or so - of its power can be used in electricity/thermal energy production.

Its intended for magnetic nozzle - I guess this mechanic could be removed as it is confusing and adding thrust and electricity consumption modifier when magnetic nozzle is connected to antimatter reactor could be another way to do it.

Edited by raxo2222

On 11/17/2017 at 10:28 PM, FreeThinker said:

Beamed power receiver themselves don't have degrading, what could be degrading are the reactors that power the beamed power network. In the case of fusion power reactors running on neutronic fusion fuels, make sure they filled with Lithium-6 which serve as the breeding bed for generating Tritium and thermal power. When your reactors are not fully filled up, the start to lose efficiency and start to embrittle the reactor and their environment. The effect is that the maximum power output is reduced, which will affect the amount of power transmitted

Thanks for the response.  I believe I got to the bottom of the issue and you're correct as usual (at the same time).  It's waste heat.  For some reason if there is any WasteHeat, you can see in the Power Receiver Interface - Power Capacity Efficiency lowers and the Available Power lowers.  This confused me to think the receiver themselves are degrading, but something is going on here.   I got the beam power from super-sized solar-panels, so I don't think any reactors are degrading.    Please look at the 4 examples:

Example 1: No Waste Heat, the Power Capacity Efficiency remains at 100% and the Available Power remains the same.

beam2.png

Example 2:  As soon as a I add a radiator (all else the same), I get a WasteHeat resource, the Power Capacity Efficiency lowers and Available Power begins to lower.

beam3.png

Example 3: After a few mins of heavy thruster use, the Power Capacity Efficiency lowers more and the Available Power also lowers below Network Power.

beam4.png

Example 4:  After I simply wait a few hours in kerbin time, the Power Capacity Efficiency begins to rise (still lower than 100%) and Available Power returns to Network Power

beam5.png

@enewmen A I see you found an accidental exploit. Beamed power should not be able to function without radiators, as it would destroy the receiver within a few minutes due to overheating. The fact that there is no degration when you don't have radiators is because there is no washeat resource storage.

24 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

@enewmen A I see you found an accidental exploit. Beamed power should not be able to function without radiators, as it would destroy the receiver within a few minutes due to overheating. The fact that there is no degration when you don't have radiators is because there is no washeat resource storage.

Ok.  So the Power Capacity Efficiency has no direct relation to beam receiver effectiveness - all is working well?  Just keep using beam power all I want without needing to replace the laser or receiver.

Using Solar Only power also seems to have no effect on the Power Capacity Efficiency.

P.S. I'll remember to add radiators while using beam power.

Edited by enewmen

6 minutes ago, enewmen said:

Ok.  So the Power Capacity Efficiency has no relation to beam receiver effectiveness - all is well?

Correct Power Capacity Efficiency currently only limits the maximum power you can receive from a particular receiver, it effectively prevents them causing the whole system to overheat and shutdown when there are insufficient radiators

All reactors and isru are currently throwing null reference of an object errors when their management windows are opened. Not sure of the cause. 

Temp drop-box link to log file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd184kww8ykitew/KSP.log?dl=0

Looks like somehow the resoruces are missing?

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

47 minutes ago, Maelstrom Vortex said:

All reactors and isru are currently throwing null reference of an object errors when their management windows are opened. Not sure of the cause. 

Temp drop-box link to log file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd184kww8ykitew/KSP.log?dl=0

Looks like somehow the resoruces are missing?

Mod version/Example craft/Reproduction steps????

My bet is something is not installed correctly(probably CRP). Reinstall 1.16.1 completely(not just WarpPlugin, but dependencies as well) to a clean KSP installation and try again. I do not have any problems on the github version.

A lot of errors related to 

No definition found for resource X

Something is, definitely, wrong with community resource pack.

Edited by Mine_Turtle

Hey there, I was having difficulties running this on 1.3.1. Specifically, I get guaranteed CTD as soon as it loads the main menu. Does this have to do with Tweakscale? I've been running checks and the mods that seem to cause it are this, Kerbal Alarm Clock, and Physics Range Extender. I'm also running AVC, so I know I have the latest updates of everything and all is fine 1.3.1. Does anyone else experience that sort of behaviour?

57 minutes ago, AlmightyKraken said:

Hey there, I was having difficulties running this on 1.3.1. Specifically, I get guaranteed CTD as soon as it loads the main menu. Does this have to do with Tweakscale? I've been running checks and the mods that seem to cause it are this, Kerbal Alarm Clock, and Physics Range Extender. I'm also running AVC, so I know I have the latest updates of everything and all is fine 1.3.1. Does anyone else experience that sort of behaviour?

I have experienced problems like this, which turned out to be caused by old FilterExtensions version. You might want to install latest beta manually or completely remove FilterExtensions.

Edited by Mine_Turtle

13 minutes ago, AlmightyKraken said:

Tested it without Filter Extensions, does not work.

Could you upload log files, please? It might show the source of problem.

Also, if the game fails to load, that is likely related to some mod not being installed properly. So, I would suggest to start installing latest mod versions one by one on a clean KSP install to determine, where the problem shows itself.

OK so.. new behavior observed now vs the last 1.3.0-compatible version... @FreeThinker

I fly a lot of spaceplanes.  Almost always with the same engine configuration - 1 to 2 thermal ramjet nozzles pointing out the back of the plane, and 2-6 VTOL thermal turbojets pointing downwards... all attached to antimatter reactors.  The main (horizontal) engines also have charged particle generators attached.  I stuff a bunch of winged edge radiators in my wings for heat management.  Everything was happy this way in the previous (1.3.0-compatible) version.  Oddly enough, in the new version, the horizontal engines do the same - waste heat is manageable.  However engaging the VTOL engines for 8-10 seconds is enough to overwhelm the craft with waste heat and cause reactor shutdown.

Things I've tried:

1. Using thermal ramjet nozzles on the VTOL side
2. Using different propellants (atmospheric vs hydrazine)
3. Attaching charged particle generators to the reactors driving the VTOL engines

None of this makes any difference.  I don't see anything KSPIE-related in the logs showing any errors/exceptions or anything out of the ordinary.  What changed/what can I do differently/why are only some reactors causing this type of heat?  Ironically, it's the SMALLER reactors generating all the heat.  the one that's not overheating the craft is a 3.75m, whereas the VTOL ones are 2x 2.5m.

1 hour ago, ss8913 said:

OK so.. new behavior observed now vs the last 1.3.0-compatible version... @FreeThinker

I fly a lot of spaceplanes.  Almost always with the same engine configuration - 1 to 2 thermal ramjet nozzles pointing out the back of the plane, and 2-6 VTOL thermal turbojets pointing downwards... all attached to antimatter reactors.  The main (horizontal) engines also have charged particle generators attached.  I stuff a bunch of winged edge radiators in my wings for heat management.  Everything was happy this way in the previous (1.3.0-compatible) version.  Oddly enough, in the new version, the horizontal engines do the same - waste heat is manageable.  However engaging the VTOL engines for 8-10 seconds is enough to overwhelm the craft with waste heat and cause reactor shutdown.

Things I've tried:

1. Using thermal ramjet nozzles on the VTOL side
2. Using different propellants (atmospheric vs hydrazine)
3. Attaching charged particle generators to the reactors driving the VTOL engines

None of this makes any difference.  I don't see anything KSPIE-related in the logs showing any errors/exceptions or anything out of the ordinary.  What changed/what can I do differently/why are only some reactors causing this type of heat?  Ironically, it's the SMALLER reactors generating all the heat.  the one that's not overheating the craft is a 3.75m, whereas the VTOL ones are 2x 2.5m.

Thank you for the report. I have logged two issues on github:

https://github.com/sswelm/KSP-Interstellar-Extended/issues/149

https://github.com/sswelm/KSP-Interstellar-Extended/issues/150

Feel free to add any relevant information. I am going to have a look at them as soon as I have time. Unless FreeThinker wants to fix it himself.

Edited by Mine_Turtle

6 hours ago, Mine_Turtle said:

Thank you for the report. I have logged two issues on github:

https://github.com/sswelm/KSP-Interstellar-Extended/issues/149

https://github.com/sswelm/KSP-Interstellar-Extended/issues/150

Feel free to add any relevant information. I am going to have a look at them as soon as I have time. Unless FreeThinker wants to fix it himself.

Found a new bit of relevant info, @Mine_Turtle and @FreeThinker - what's going on is that when only ONE antimatter-reactor-powered thermal engine, wasteheat is manageable and works as I had come to expect from the previous version in KSP 1.3.0.  When *more than one* such engine is activated, wastehead generation increases by literally 3 or 4 orders of magnitude and it overheats the reactors within seconds.  This is a level of wasteheat that would require hundreds of tons of radiators to dissipate.. not sure there'd even be room on the craft, even with part clipping, for the number of radiators required to keep it in check :(

Hope that helps narrow it down.

1 hour ago, Maelstrom Vortex said:

Is anyone besides me having trouble getting a singularity core to start and stay started? Can someone tell me if other than a charge to electric converter if there are any special requirements on the singularity generator?

I haven't used the QSR in the 1.3.1 version of this mod, but previously you'd need a lot of external power to keep it running.  I was using a plasma core antimatter reactor + charged particle electric generator (3.75m or bigger) to drive it, and that worked.  Oh and you'll  need a lot of radiators for the QSR, esp. if you want to run it above 10%.

Why haven't I used it in 1.3.1?  Well, until I get a new PC with 32gb of RAM which will let me effectively use extra-kerbolular planetary systems, the 3.75m antimatter + CP generator is enough to run the alcubierre drives fast enough for any in-system jump.  If you're using a beamed power network, however, you may have different requirements than I do. :)

22 hours ago, Maelstrom Vortex said:

Is anyone besides me having trouble getting a singularity core to start and stay started? Can someone tell me if other than a charge to electric converter if there are any special requirements on the singularity generator?

To start the QSR you need to be in a zero G environment (orbit), preferably close to a strong gravity hole and enough power to create a miniature black hole. The energy will be converted into mass in a tiny region and once created it must be kept alive by feeding it matter. Part of the matter fed will also return back as high energy charged particles from which 100%  can be used for direct power production or  50% for direct magnetic propulsion

On 11/21/2017 at 9:57 AM, raxo2222 said:

Only few percent - 4% or so - of its power can be used in electricity/thermal energy production.

Almost correct, 4% can be used for electric power production, thermal propulsion is limited to 2% For more thermal power use the positrons antimatter reactor which is specialized in thermal propulsion

On 11/21/2017 at 9:57 AM, raxo2222 said:

Its intended for magnetic nozzle - I guess this mechanic could be removed as it is confusing and adding thrust and electricity consumption modifier when magnetic nozzle is connected to antimatter reactor could be another way to do it.

I agree it is confusing I'm planning to split the reactor up into a  2 separate parts, one specialized in magnetic nozzle propulsion and another for electric power production. But before I can do that I need a suitable model.

Edited by FreeThinker

19 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

To start the QSR you need to be in a zero G environment (orbit), preferably close to a strong gravity hole and enough power to create a miniature black hole. The energy will be converted into mass in a tiny region and once created it must be kept alive by feeding it matter. Part of the matter fed will also return back as high energy charged particles from which 100%  can be used for direct power production or  50% for direct magnetic propulsion

Almost correct, 4% can be used for electric power production, thermal propulsion is limited to 2% For more thermal power use the positrons antimatter reactor which is specialized in thermal propulsion

I agree it is confusing I'm planning to split the reactor up into a  2 separate parts, one specialized in magnetic nozzle propulsion and another for electric power production. But before I can do that I need a suitable model.

huh.  never thought to use it for the magnetic nozzle.  I was just using it to power heavy Alcubierre drives to move a 2000t ship at 250x lightspeed so I could colonize  Thallo.  Sadly, bugs in that planet pack (such as your entire base exploding catastrophically when you moved outside of physics range, due to the biomes and elevation maps not matching, causing the physics engine to suddenly think your base was 200m in the air over water as soon as you leave physics range, etc) ... prevented that endeavour, but the QSR with enough radiators will definitely push 250c on a 2000t ship :)

I will be.. reattempting my ambitious colonization efforts once again, as soon as the multiple-antimatter-thermal-engines-wasteheat issue is addressed.. @FreeThinker I believe that Mine_Turtle opened github issues on that on my behalf.. full text of the issue is in the thread above...

6 hours ago, ss8913 said:

huh.  never thought to use it for the magnetic nozzle.  I was just using it to power heavy Alcubierre drives to move a 2000t ship at 250x lightspeed so I could colonize  Thallo.  Sadly, bugs in that planet pack (such as your entire base exploding catastrophically when you moved outside of physics range, due to the biomes and elevation maps not matching, causing the physics engine to suddenly think your base was 200m in the air over water as soon as you leave physics range, etc) ... prevented that endeavour, but the QSR with enough radiators will definitely push 250c on a 2000t ship :)

I will be.. reattempting my ambitious colonization efforts once again, as soon as the multiple-antimatter-thermal-engines-wasteheat issue is addressed.. @FreeThinker I believe that Mine_Turtle opened github issues on that on my behalf.. full text of the issue is in the thread above...

It appears this problem goes deeper than I have anticipated, see my last report on github. I have not figured out yet, how to fix it without breaking module operation and hope @FreeThinker can give me some advice. In the mean time you can try to manually shut down reactors, that are not needed, so they do not produce waste heat. E.g turn off reactors connected to the rear engines, while keeping vtol reactors operating.

5 hours ago, Mine_Turtle said:

It appears this problem goes deeper than I have anticipated, see my last report on github. I have not figured out yet, how to fix it without breaking module operation and hope @FreeThinker can give me some advice. In the mean time you can try to manually shut down reactors, that are not needed, so they do not produce waste heat. E.g turn off reactors connected to the rear engines, while keeping vtol reactors operating.

Unfortunately vtol itself requires at least 2, for thrust balancing around a shifting CoM... (using TCA for that)