KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

18 hours ago, marc40k said:

Your mod is currently causing the solar panels (the single ones) to lag the game(the more you add the more lag they cause).

Haven't tested multi solar panels

The only stock solar panel affected by KSPIE is the  Gigantor XL Solar Array , other smaller solar panels are not. I think you confused them with another mod

Edited by FreeThinker

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

The only stock solar panel affected by KSPIE is the  Gigantor XL Solar Array , other smaller solar panels are not. I think you confused them with another mod

Well, I tested disabling all mods except for this one, and the lag persists.

Moreover, enabling all mods and disabling this one gets rid of the lag.

I have tested and this happens with other solar panels aswell, they read their solar current power as 0.

I have tried reinstalling the mod, still there.

9NlB5gr.jpg

Here's a screenshot with no other mods installed. Running KSP 64-bit

10 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

In the picture, I only see a Gigantor XL Solar Array. But this isn't normal behaviour. Either something is interfering or missing

Have you installed the latest release of CRP?

Thanks! That seems to have solved the issue, I didn't have CRP installed. Whoops!

However, your OP should indicate that CRP is needed for the mod to work if it is the case.

2 hours ago, Badlywrapdkebab said:

Quick question - does Kerbal Engineer Redux work with the KSPIE engine parts? It doesn't seem to be giving any values for dv etc when in the VAB.

Yes, it works, but not always in a right way :) Good thing is, for some parts values are always correct, and for other always wrong. You will have to figure it out for yourself.

On 8.11.2017 at 1:56 PM, tomf said:

I'm in the VAB trying to build a ship using the plasma beam antimatter reactor, the charged particle electricity converter, and a magnetic nozzle.

When thrusting at full power I expect that the reactor has a maximum output of 500GW, of which 95% is charged particles leaving 25GW of heat to be radiated. However in the VAB in helper window suggests that I am producing 1000GW of heat, over twice the max power of the reactor and in orbit, powering the nozzle the reactor does shut down due to overheating almost immediately.

Am I misunderstanding something?

EDIT:

Ok, so my reactor is upgraded to 1000Gw total power so at least the total heat isn't greater than the reactor power. However I still don't understand why most of that power isn't in the form of charged particles being fired out the nozzle.

It's a bug. Somebody already wrote about it few (or more than few) pages ago. The simplest workaround (if you don't want to wait for a fix) is to boost one of the radiators and make it capable to dissipate all additional wasteheat.

In matter of antimatter reactor, I think there is one more thing that does not work fine. When used with magnetic nozzle, reactor's power output is not affected by throttle. It's always 0% (when throttle is set to 0) or 100% active (when throttle is in any other position). It makes low-throttle burns super efficient at fuel consumption, and extremely not efficient at antimatter consumption. But I'm not an expert here, maybe it should work this way.

Hi All.

This may be an old topic (or not the best place to post), but I notice my BEAM power receivers are  losing efficiency over time.  About 50% for every hour of heavy use on all beam types.  Is this accurate and intentional?  In all beam receivers I checked a, solar power does not seem to degrade  the receiver and remains 100% in the Power Capacity Efficiency field - so only beam power (microwave/IR/Visible/UV/X-R)  degrades.

This make long term use impractical.   If beam receivers do/should degrade, then is there a way for en engineer to clean & repair the panels ? I tried searching but didn't find  a solution or anything related.  I wasn't able to test most stock solar panels because there is no power receiver interface.

I did check the written distrciption at https://github.com/sswelm/KSP-Interstellar-Extended/wiki/Beamed-Power.    But does nothing about receivers degrading. 

Any ideas?  Maybe a text editor fix?  Thanks!

EDIT:  I checked the Gigantor -XL solar array and that does not degrade over time.  Remains at 100% in the Power Capacity Efficiency field while receiving solar power.

Untitled.png

A screenshot of an electric  Li Thruster getting all the required power from a lightweight IR beam receiver - notice NO heavy reactors :) .   BTW, I like the Li RCS thrusters, then I never need to think about monopropellant.

Edited by enewmen

Forgive me if I am being an idiot but I can't seem to be able to add alternative fuel types to my rockets using Interstellar tech. I add an IFS cryogenic duel fuel tank. When I switch fuel types with the top switcher (using Interstellar fuel switch) there is no fuel bar at the bottom and the weight suggests I have no fuel in the tank, The only fuels that show up filling the tank are liquidfuel, oxidizer and mono. So it appears I'm not getting the new resources. When I load the rocket with a tank set to anything but the default i have no empty capacity showing in the resources ui. Any idea whats going on? Cheers

Edited by Reginald

22 hours ago, Reginald said:

Forgive me if I am being an idiot but I can't seem to be able to add alternative fuel types to my rockets using Interstellar tech. I add an IFS cryogenic duel fuel tank. When I switch fuel types with the top switcher (using Interstellar fuel switch) there is no fuel bar at the bottom and the weight suggests I have no fuel in the tank, The only fuels that show up filling the tank are liquidfuel, oxidizer and mono. So it appears I'm not getting the new resources. When I load the rocket with a tank set to anything but the default i have no empty capacity showing in the resources ui. Any idea whats going on? Cheers

You set up the fuel tank fuel type at the VAB  BEFORE you launch anyplace.  ALSO check the fuel types - LMB (to see supported fuel types) -  BEFORE you attach to your rocket.  LH  is also less dense than LF, so even if the LH/O impulse is higher, you may still need a larger tank.  I didn't experience the problems you're having so I should not worry yet.  Please provide a screenshot if you can.  My 2-cents worth.

Edited by enewmen

So, I have a likely trivial question. Not to me, of course or I wouldn't bother asking it.

I'm early in my career, just starting to peek outside kerbin's SOI. I have a probe mission around the Mun, and I piggybacked a Gamma Ray Spectrometer on the probe. (which a search of my gamedata folder tells me is a KSP-I part.) I launch and since it's the first time using this part for me, I scan Kerbin for the science. All well and good. I collect my science and burn for Munar intercept. I get to munar orbit, do the things my contract demands, and then try to scan the Mun with the GRS. It tells me gamma ray experiment cannot be run right now.  Nothing in the part description tells me it shouldn't be able to be run there. Does anyone have a clue what might be happening?

On 11/12/2017 at 3:26 PM, Starchaser said:

So, I have a likely trivial question. Not to me, of course or I wouldn't bother asking it.

I'm early in my career, just starting to peek outside kerbin's SOI. I have a probe mission around the Mun, and I piggybacked a Gamma Ray Spectrometer on the probe. (which a search of my gamedata folder tells me is a KSP-I part.) I launch and since it's the first time using this part for me, I scan Kerbin for the science. All well and good. I collect my science and burn for Munar intercept. I get to munar orbit, do the things my contract demands, and then try to scan the Mun with the GRS. It tells me gamma ray experiment cannot be run right now.  Nothing in the part description tells me it shouldn't be able to be run there. Does anyone have a clue what might be happening?

The science experiment for GRS has situationMask=16, which, if I am not mistaken, means that the experiment can only be performed when flying low(less than 60km orbit).

2 minutes ago, Mine_Turtle said:

The science experiment for GRS has situationMask=16, which, if I am not mistaken, means that the experiment can only be performed when flying low(less than 60km orbit).

Oh!

I'll look for that

Too bad I drove that particular satellite into the Mun as part of a requirement from a ScanSAT contract. (or maybe not. I tripped on a landing attempt of my rover, and when I reverted to the quicksave instead of where I thought I quicksaved it, on descent, it unrolled about an hour of playtime, and I might have saved that satellite. Chances are it's almost out of fuel now though.)

On 11/10/2017 at 4:26 PM, falcoon said:

Yes, it works, but not always in a right way :) Good thing is, for some parts values are always correct, and for other always wrong. You will have to figure it out for yourself.

It's a bug. Somebody already wrote about it few (or more than few) pages ago. The simplest workaround (if you don't want to wait for a fix) is to boost one of the radiators and make it capable to dissipate all additional wasteheat.

In matter of antimatter reactor, I think there is one more thing that does not work fine. When used with magnetic nozzle, reactor's power output is not affected by throttle. It's always 0% (when throttle is set to 0) or 100% active (when throttle is in any other position). It makes low-throttle burns super efficient at fuel consumption, and extremely not efficient at antimatter consumption. But I'm not an expert here, maybe it should work this way.

Indeed, charged particle consumption for magnetic nozzle is not affected by throttle. I can easily fix this in the code, but I need to know how the engine is supposed to work not to break its desired operation mode. Could anyone(I am looking at you @FreeThinker) provide me with some theoretical explanation of the engine operation? Specifically, I need to know how this engine is different from plasma nozzle, because plasma nozzle is using standard thermal nozzle controller module, while magnetic nozzle has completely different controller(both engines require power and charged particles).

48 minutes ago, Mine_Turtle said:

Indeed, charged particle consumption for magnetic nozzle is not affected by throttle. I can easily fix this in the code, but I need to know how the engine is supposed to work not to break its desired operation mode. Could anyone(I am looking at you @FreeThinker) provide me with some theoretical explanation of the engine operation? Specifically, I need to know how this engine is different from plasma nozzle, because plasma nozzle is using standard thermal nozzle controller module, while magnetic nozzle has completely different controller(both engines require power and charged particles).

Magnetic nozzles are a thrust augmentation device, their purpose is to convert plasma thermal energy into directed kinetic energy, by using it's magnetic field to direct the plasma flow. The efficiency, therefore Isp and thrust of the magnetic nozzle is dependent on the Electron temperature, high electron temperatures are more efficient. That which depends on what plasma engine it is attached to. 

Additionally magnetic nozzles can suffer from what is known as radial losses as plasma diverges in radial or azimuthal directions which is useless for thrust performace. This is why magnetic nozzles have to be long and need power to keep a strong magnetic field keep the plasma jet in line. If any of those conditions were not met, you incur major radial losses. Because the larger the plasma stream the longer your nozzle has to be and the stronger your magnetic field needs to be, static plasma flow rate needs to be imposed for engine safety and performance circumstances.

Unless I am horribly mistaken, then no, magnetic engines do not have throttling capabilities, beyond changing the temperature of the electrons. We aren't dealing with a normal nozzle that can control it's flow rate.because there's no internal mechanism that can. The example would be two ice sheets constricting the flow a river, the ice stays put, and the river maintains a steady flow rate.

I don't recall licensing the microchannel heat radiators from Heat Control to you, which were launched in HC 0.4.0, quite a while after I switched all my art assets over to ARR (late Jan 2017). 

I'd rather not find out about this kinda thing via random forumer PM in the future, also. Please stop, this is the second time I've done this. 

30 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I don't recall licensing the microchannel heat radiators from Heat Control to you, which were launched in HC 0.4.0, quite a while after I switched all my art assets over to ARR (late Jan 2017). 

I'd rather not find out about this kinda thing via random forumer PM in the future, also. Please stop, this is the second time I've done this. 

Oh, no. Assets from one free, open-source game mod are being reused in another free, open-source game mod to improve user experience. Someone should call for teh Internet police.

31 minutes ago, Mine_Turtle said:

Oh, no. Assets from one free, open-source game mod are being reused in another free, open-source game mod to improve user experience. Someone should call for teh Internet police.

No, assets from a free, open-source mod whose artist has placed a specific license requesting that he be contacted if re-use of the models he spent a good number of hours building for his own project is desired are being used in another free, open-source game mod without any consideration of the consequences. Someone should probably think about how that's good for the community. 

Open source != free for the taking.

Edited by Nertea

33 minutes ago, Mine_Turtle said:

That's a little infantile, isn't it? Nertea is entitled to reserve every right to the work he makes. 

32 minutes ago, Mine_Turtle said:

Pardon me. A few modders, Nertea and RoverDude included, have licenses such that you are free to do as you want with their code... But the models and textures you shall not copy. It may be hard to catch in the sea of sharealike licensing on mods, but it is there. And it's already well known that some of Nertea's things are in KSPI and he does not like it.

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

No, assets from a free, open-source mod whose artist has placed a specific license requesting that he be contacted if re-use of the models he spent a good number of hours building for his own project is desired are being used in another free, open-source game mod without any consideration of the consequences. Someone should probably think about how that's good for the community. 

I believe that it is indeed good for the community, if mod assets, be it a piece of code, a texture or a model, can be freely reused. Not only this increases mod development speed, but allows certain mods to exist in the first place, because not everyone can be a great programmer and artist at the same time. Obviously, this also has impact on the experience of the mod users as due to restrictive licenses certain features maybe missing from a mod. For example, KSS is currently lacking good cloud textures due license issues with EVE. As a result, clouds do not look as good as they could be.

Note, that I am not encouraging to blatantly steal assets for whatever reason. I respect the amount of work developers put into their creations. But at as long as their work is given credit for, I do not care about licensing restrictions.

Edited by Mine_Turtle

Hello @FreeThinker,

We're sorry, but we've had to remove the download links from your post, due to licensing violations.  You are including content from the Heat Control mod, which is licensed All Rights Reserved (ARR), meaning that it is not permitted to copy or redistribute in your own mod.

Please let us know when the problem has been rectified (i.e. you have removed all All Rights Reserved content from all download locations), and we will be happy to unlock your thread, after which you're free to restore your download links.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to speak with me or any member of the moderator team.  Thank you for your understanding.

On a related note:

1 hour ago, Mine_Turtle said:

But at as long as their work is given credit for, I do not care about licensing restrictions.

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you have to care.  A license is a legal document that controls how content may or may not be used.  If an author has released content under a certain license, you are legally required to abide by its requirements.  Please do not violate licenses, or encourage others to do so.  This is strictly against KSP forum rules, and will be dealt with accordingly.  Thank you.

Just a thought.  Many of the various share-alike licenses are a bit vague on how exactly you should give credit.  I can see there's credit given for much in an early post here;

That alone probably took a bit of compiling.  I think (seeing as many people would be grabbing this without ever seeing the forum posts) that including the text (I would hazard a completely un-official legal opinion, with no weight) without any of the hyperlinking etc in the license text file that's part of the mod would solve many grey areas about whether attribution was given.  The license files are generally included with mods, because that way they get moved around with the mods, even when dodgy sites re-upload them (I've had that happen, great fun), or whatever.  So, it solves the issue of "did you include a note of the original license" that seems to always be in the creative commons type license stuff.

I personally, like the idea someone's used some assets of mine.  I only started getting fussy when there was a site uploading old copies of things, often with the wrong info.  But re-use in a different mod doesn't worry me, and @FreeThinker has clearly aimed at attributing sources.  I just think putting the license in the text file avoids possible excrements.  For a bunch of reasons.

end of my 2c

Carry on.

Hello guys!

I have may be stupid question but anyway. This mod includes two kerbstein fusion engines. One of them uses Lithium Hydride, the second uses Lithium Deuteride. In tech tree in career I can see only Lythium Hydride engine and unfortunately it's absolutely useless because I couldn't create craft with enough electrical charge. Even if I use Antimatter Reactor. It provides not enough electrical charge. Could you please help me to understand, what reactor I have to use to make this engine works