KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

47 minutes ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

are there any compatabillity patches for IE that would allow kerbal atomics to work correctly?

Not yet, but now that there is a patch for the Stock nuclear engine, the same should be relatively easily repeatable for kerbal atomics

47 minutes ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

does the cryogenic engines mod require one?

Not really, since they are basically chemical engines that run on realistic propellants except for the oxidiser which could be replaced by LqdOxygen

Edited by FreeThinker

Hello FreeThinker. Excuse my English, it's not excellent

I think I've found a bug with the engine "Plazma Nozzle" with the "Positron Reactor Antimatter"

My ships use that combo (with Liquid Fuel) and they have always worked correctly but today when activating the last reactor upgrade (Extreme Radiators) I can not choose the "Liquid Fuel" as fuel.

Is it a failure?. 
I have tried this with a clean installation of the game (1.4.5 and 1.5.1) and the fault persists, if I activate the last "update" of the "Positron Reactor Antimatter" I can not use the LiquidFuel in the Plasma Nozzle

Thanks for your help and congratulations for this great mod

P.D I have seen that the ships that work for me with the reactor have the "OLD" attribute. The new reactor model can not use LiquidFuel with the Plasma Nozzle ???

Edited by Novak

@FreeThinker I usually only play KSP when all the mods I have installed are current relative to the KSP version. With KSP now at 1.5, what is the ETA on having KSPIE updated for KSP 1.5? I don't mean to be pushy, and I'm certainly not trying to say "Hurry up". I'm just curious so I can update my mod list as soon as I'm able.

Edited by HereComesTheBoom

@FreeThinker

Howdy sir!

I've noticed another oddity but I'm not really sure if it's Interstellar related. Some of the ion engines don't seem to be able to use fuel and have 0.0ISP stats

I also included a screenshot of that missing magnetic field scrolling error when the dual technique magnetometer is in use. It appears to be fine around Gael, but once leaving Gael's SOI it spams that error in the console log

Screenshots

Output Log

15 hours ago, HereComesTheBoom said:

@FreeThinker I usually only play KSP when all the mods I have installed are current relative to the KSP version. With KSP now at 1.5, what is the ETA on having KSPIE updated for KSP 1.5? I don't mean to be pushy, and I'm certainly not trying to say "Hurry up". I'm just curious so I can update my mod list as soon as I'm able.

I already uploaded a KSPIE beta for KSP 1.5.1, but in to make a standard release, tweakscale needs to be updated to 1.5.1

1 hour ago, danshu15 said:

@FreeThinker

Howdy sir!

I've noticed another oddity but I'm not really sure if it's Interstellar related. Some of the ion engines don't seem to be able to use fuel and have 0.0ISP stats

I also included a screenshot of that missing magnetic field scrolling error when the dual technique magnetometer is in use. It appears to be fine around Gael, but once leaving Gael's SOI it spams that error in the console log

Screenshots

Output Log

It looks like you are using a mix of Interstellar and another mod that modifies the Ion engine. My guess that second mod is causing the 0.0 Isp stats

Edited by FreeThinker

On 10/1/2018 at 1:47 PM, Omeran said:

I've come upon a crash (in other occurrence, the ship vanishes), that happens when getting near a craft with multiple ISRUs working (possibly when one of the tanks is out of space).

It repeated several times, until I turned off all ISRUs, then everything was fine.

Is this worth a deeper investigation?

Ok, this is consistently happening when leaving the Sabatier process on.
When the vessel is loaded (either a saved game with the active vessel, switching to the vessel or getting close to vessel with another vessel/Kerbal), Really bad stuff happen (The ship vanishes, or the game crashes). This Doesn't happen with the regolith process (I haven't tested all ISRU processes).

On a different note - There are many typos and some naming inconsistencies in the part descriptions. Can I help fixing them?

1 hour ago, Wiowt said:

Why can nuclear and thermal jets work only with 2 propellants? How to use more?

compatible propellants depend on unlocked fuel storage technology, reactor type and nozzle type.

Edited by FreeThinker

I've been trying to use the ablative laser nozzle with some very limited success, and can't understand why -

At first I was using a weird contraption where a single vessel was composed from a reactor and a diode beamed power laser (using long infra-red beams), connected using a stack separator to the launch vehicle with the nozzle. The idea was to fire up the laser, start the nozzle, separate the parts and get a liftoff.

What was actually happening was that the nozzle got reception, but no thrust, until a point where the node holding the separator overheated and exploded, and then I got thrust and a liftoff, but I figured out there must be a better way of doing it without anything exploding.

So I got a separate wheeled vehicle with a diode beamed power laser, using the same long infra-red beams, and placed it next to the launch pad. Since at launch I didn't get a reception from the nozzle, I used a small solid-fuel rocket to get the launch vehicle in the air, but then even though I had very good reception, and the nozzle was fuming, I didn't get any thrust.

Any idea what am I doing wrong?

6 hours ago, Omeran said:

I've been trying to use the ablative laser nozzle with some very limited success, and can't understand why -

At first I was using a weird contraption where a single vessel was composed from a reactor and a diode beamed power laser (using long infra-red beams), connected using a stack separator to the launch vehicle with the nozzle. The idea was to fire up the laser, start the nozzle, separate the parts and get a liftoff.

What was actually happening was that the nozzle got reception, but no thrust, until a point where the node holding the separator overheated and exploded, and then I got thrust and a liftoff, but I figured out there must be a better way of doing it without anything exploding.

What is this launch abomination :D. Anyway, you cannot beam power within a single vessel, looks like the system wasn't designed for it.

I Since at launch I didn't get a reception from the nozzle, I used a small solid-fuel rocket to get the launch vehicle in the air...

Ablative nozzle is pretty much impossible to use as a first stage because the beam needs to come from directly below. And it also tends to lose reception once you start the gravity turn...

So I got a separate wheeled vehicle with a diode beamed power laser, using the same long infra-red beams, and placed it next to the launch pad. Since at launch I didn't get a reception from the nozzle, I used a small solid-fuel rocket to get the launch vehicle in the air, but then even though I had very good reception, and the nozzle was fuming, I didn't get any thrust.

Any idea what am I doing wrong?

Low power is my first guess, it that's the case it should also show some completely wierd value for ISP, like 14.8 or 100000 and not use any fuel. In-atmosphere thermal engines get a flat thrust penalty (like -100KN) which can put their actual thrust at 0 if they're not strong enough. (Not sure if this was intended or not.)

For example: when scaled to 1.25 the nozzle can receive a maximum of 750MW, which is not enough to get any thrust at all while on Kerbin below 3KM. Larger scale versions work better, even at sea level, but they take way more power.

If it's something else, maybe post a screenshot of the ship in that state?

27 minutes ago, samooo2 said:

you cannot beam power within a single vessel, looks like the system wasn't designed for it.

Ha! Like that has ever stopped us! Anyway - it had a separator, so, they were technically separate vessels

29 minutes ago, samooo2 said:

Low power is my first guess, it that's the case it should also show some completely wierd value for ISP, like 14.8 or 100000 and not use any fuel. In-atmosphere thermal engines get a flat thrust penalty (like -100KN) which can put their actual thrust at 0 if they're not strong enough.

Could be it. With 1GW beamed power I managed to get a small vehicle to orbit. It gets pretty hot though, but now I can get stuff (read: Kerbals) back to Kerbin for even cheaper :D

I may have the same problem as Wiowt.

All the thermal nossels I have tried only seem to support liquid hydrogen and atmosphere as fuel.

They won't accept liquid fuel, oxidiser or most of anything else they used to support and which is mentioned in the wiki. Also, they support hydrogen peroxide but I can't find any fuel tanks for that.

The reactor doesn't seem to matter either. I have tried some of the antimatter reactors and the pebble bed reactor. They work great with an intake in atmo but there seem to be something wrong with what fuel the nossels will accept.

Edited by Wandersen
Clarification

The Laser Ablative nozzle is very powerful if you know how power it correctly

Step 1: Build a Rover with enough power (6+ GW)

BHsy3F2.jpg

Step 2 put it next to the launch platform and make sure it s active

WljvbP6.jpg

Step 3: Launch the vessel and profit from high isp , high thrust propulsion at a low price

d0pYpqm.jpg

If you don't want to put the laser next to the platform, make sure the nozzle is raised a bit

2 hours ago, Wandersen said:

I may have the same problem as Wiowt.

All the thermal nossels I have tried only seem to support liquid hydrogen and atmosphere as fuel.

They won't accept liquid fuel, oxidiser or most of anything else they used to support and which is mentioned in the wiki. Also, they support hydrogen peroxide but I can't find any fuel tanks for that.

The reactor doesn't seem to matter either. I have tried some of the antimatter reactors and the pebble bed reactor. They work great with an intake in atmo but there seem to be something wrong with what fuel the nossels will accept.

Is it a bug or  a change?

Edited by Wiowt

9 hours ago, Wiowt said:

Is it a bug or  a change?

It's both, there is a new structural change dividing thermal nozzle into oxidising and reducing resistant nozzles and a bug that can cause the propellants not to be available as they should.

Edited by FreeThinker

Just now, FreeThinker said:

It's both, there is a new structural change dividing thermal nozzle into oxidising and reducing resistant nozzles and a bug that can cause the propellants not to be available as they should.

Ok. Would you fix it? I'd be very grateful

Edited by Wiowt