KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

Alright, I see now what you are trying to achieve here but it wont work as beamed power currently always takes the shortest path to a vessel, it doesn't matter if the receiver in question receive dish isn't optimal. In the case of the ablative laser, it has to come underneath meaning you realy need to beam your power by a ground station.

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Alright, I see now what you are trying to achieve here but it wont work as beamed power currently always takes the shortest path to a vessel, it doesn't matter if the receiver in question receive dish isn't optimal. In the case of the ablative laser, it has to come underneath meaning you realy need to beam your power by a ground station.

Thanks for the help.  It seems I must put a laser underneath the ablative laser.

EDIT: I was able to get this working (sort of) by using re-broadcast power.  I then at least don't need a big/heavy/expensive  reactor in the ground station.

Edited by enewmen

Is this mod competible with the Realism Overhaul?

In fact, it confuses me that I have nothing enabling me to produce fuel on Mars or other exoplanets, due to the installation of RO. So I wonder if KSPI is helpful?

(I'm a Chinese and couldn't use English excellently. Please excuse me for any inconvenience caused.)

Edited by Conquerer

This post by user "16807" on the KSP subreddit is the only time I've ever seen someone do an interstellar mission in a relatively short amount of time (a few decades) without warp drive (basically creating something like the Daedalus concept):

I was impressed by how they made a Jool SSTO with a nuclear turbojet to mine the Helium-3 (they had to do a little save cheating because "it would take ~40 real life hours to fuel at x4 warp") and a massive tanker with radiators

https://i.imgur.com/RRySL6G.mp4

The "Star Boom 1" as it's called, was assembled with Extraplanetary Launchpads

https://i.imgur.com/uqtcN8o.mp4

Edited by Pipcard

Hello, I have found an unusual bug;

Switching fuel types with the hybrid thermal turbojets causes it to stop producing thrust. The right click menu states 0 KN of thrust and throttle at 0%, but also says status nominal.

The engine will work fine on start up but the second I change fuel type this bug occurs; after which it is impossible to get it to work (even switching back to previous fuel wont do it). 

Has anyone encountered or solved this bug? I would very much appreciate any assistance as it breaks that part for me.

Thanks.

On 1/27/2018 at 5:37 AM, Conquerer said:

Is this mod competible with the Realism Overhaul?

In fact, it confuses me that I have nothing enabling me to produce fuel on Mars or other exoplanets, due to the installation of RO. So I wonder if KSPI is helpful?

(I'm a Chinese and couldn't use English excellently. Please excuse me for any inconvenience caused.)

Although it was never my primary aim, it certainly can be played with Realism Overhaul as it uses many of the same resources and strives to use real world physics instead of the made up physics by Stock / Near Future. For  Realism Overhoal Purist they often pass KSPIE because it is too over powered / futuristic in their view by today standards. KSPIE aims for a hard science fiction kind of realism which sits in between pure RO and Stock realism.

Edited by FreeThinker

Hi,

for some time now I have been trying to build a ship with a large solar thermal power mirror receiver, for generate energy in an near sun orbit. Unfortunately till now all ships witch I gave a try lost their structural integrity or crashed the game if a sunbeam kissed a deployed mirror... Only one ship survived until now, but produces far too little energy (only a few megawatts).(And at the moment I don't know in which savegame the ship is in orbit and what it's called...) In addition, at the launchpad I also get errors that actually belongs to fusion reactors.  Its an old issue, and I'm messing around with it for month now - I was hoping v1.3.1 would Fix it, but it didn't (I've deleted the whole game and applied all fresh downloaded mods to a new copy. ) I would be really happy if someone could help me!

Video: catastrophic failure

The Player.log file (in the cloud drive, link at the end of the posting) is from the last attempt - the game crashed while I deployed the receiver and pointed it towards the sun.

• Game Version: v1.3.1, Steam (but running it via script / KSP Mod Admin without starting up Steam) 
$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 4.9.0-5-amd64 ([email protected]) (gcc version 6.3.0 20170516 (Debian 6.3.0-18) ) #1 SMP Debian 4.9.65-3+deb9u2 (2018-01-04)

$ mono -V    
Mono JIT compiler version 4.6.2 (Debian 4.6.2.7+dfsg-1)
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
	TLS:           __thread
	SIGSEGV:       altstack
	Notifications: epoll
	Architecture:  amd64
	Disabled:      none
	Misc:          softdebug 
	LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
	GC:            sgen

KSP_mods.png

Infernal Robots: 2.0.12

I cannot find any version info for Mechjep, but the last file modification happened on 2017-11-29 ..

Files: GameData, Player.log, fusion error, ship

Edit: Oh, some time ago, I've done a test on launchpad, the ship survived, but as the one in orbit it didn't produced much energy.

Edit2: Sometimes the radiators are glowing red hot befor parts are accelerate to lightspeed or game crash..

Edit3: Problem solved, after reinstalling everything and importing all ships into a new savegame.

Edited by BadlyDrawnBoy
Problem solved

A new version KSPIE 1.16.7 can be downloaded from here

Version 1.16.7 for Kerbal Space Program 1.3.1

Released on 2018-01-28

• Added localization for Bussard Ramjet
  • Added more Chinese localization
  • Fixed Issue with offline Tritium production (by Arivald Ha'gel)
  • Fixed Issue of offline Antimatter collection (by Arivald Ha'gel)
  • Fixed Filter extension which was not showing Pebble Bed Reactor

Edited by FreeThinker

4 hours ago, BadlyDrawnBoy said:

Only one ship survived until now, but produces far too little energy (only a few megawatts)

For a ship in earth orbit that actually quite a lot, but it main intended location is not earth orbit (use photovoltalic cells for that which are lighter) but in a low solar orbit where it can can produce more than a 1000 times as much power. The trick is getting it in that low orbit without incinerating yourself and distribute it throughout the solar system. I leave it up to you to figure out how.

Edited by FreeThinker

@FreeThinker

Hmm, okey - I wasn't sure if its normal. Thanks! At now I took my old assembly, modified it and somehow it works(I've also saved it to the cloud.) - at the Megajules Management Display it is now having two producer components 'Solar Thermal Power Mirror Receiver(Solar Thermal Power Mirror Receiver)  - Supply 26.1MW max 78.2GW' and 'Solar Thermal Power Mirror Receiver - Supply 33.4KW Max 33.4KW' thats okey? Still weird that I'm not able to build a new vessel without using the old one..

Edit: I also did a quick test my PowerDish VI vessel is even not able to handle beamed power. :/

Edited by BadlyDrawnBoy

Hey, I'm having a hard time with TORY/Direct Cycle Nuclear Turbojet.

If I build a vessel with zero EnrU in one of these engines, the engine will switch to "Plutonium TWR" fuel mode right after launch. And it won't ever switch back to Enriched Uranium mode. Button is there, but it doesn't work.

This bug also appears if you clone the engine without EnrU in VAB/SPH. The one cloned will be already "Plutonium TWR" and won't switch to Uranium fuel, even in VAB/SPH.

This is a real problem since I can't build those engines extraplanetary (they'll appear with 0 fuel => switch to Plutonium => here we go). Since you can't transfer "Plutonium-238" and can't even produce it, the empty Plutonium engine won't work.

Edited by chukovskiy

On Sun Jan 28 2018 at 11:33 PM, FreeThinker said:

Although it was never my primary aim, it certainly can be played with Realism Overhaul as it uses many of the same resources and strives to use real world physics instead of the made up physics by Stock / Near Future. For  Realism Overhoal Purist they often pass KSPIE because it is too over powered / futuristic in their view by today standards. KSPIE aims for a hard science fiction kind of realism which sits in between pure RO and Stock realism.

Thanks, I've got it.

Hi!

I'm new to KSPI-E, so sorry if I'm asking something stupid. I launched a craft with pebble bed reactor + thermal ramjet nozzle, window in VAB showed that radiators are enough to cool everything, electricity is supplied. I successfully flew from LKO to Eve with ~800kN thrust (I manually restarted and shut down the reactor a couple of times during the flight, if that matters). But now despite my reactor being active I no longer get any thrust. Reactor control shows low power (though there is some), nuclear fuel is stored, I don't see any reason for it not to work. Also, I can't shutdown and restart reactor now for some reason. One more possible factor is that I have KAS fuel pipe from reactor stage to another, because it didn't do through decoupler (I had some issues with that, but after several attempts it worked). What is the problem?

Other mods: IFS fuel, KAS, MechJeb, Hyperedit.

screenshot: https://ibb.co/eHNoER

kspi_problem.png

Edited by celestis
broken image link

1 hour ago, celestis said:

Hi!

I'm new to KSPI-E, so sorry if I'm asking something stupid. I launched a craft with pebble bed reactor + thermal ramjet nozzle, window in VAB showed that radiators are enough to cool everything, electricity is supplied. I successfully flew from LKO to Eve with ~800kN thrust (I manually restarted and shut down the reactor a couple of times during the flight, if that matters). But now despite my reactor being active I no longer get any thrust. Reactor control shows low power (though there is some), nuclear fuel is stored, I don't see any reason for it not to work. Also, I can't shutdown and restart reactor now for some reason. One more possible factor is that I have KAS fuel pipe from reactor stage to another, because it didn't do through decoupler (I had some issues with that, but after several attempts it worked). What is the problem?

kspi_problem.png

I'd say we will need better screenshot (better picture quality). One cannot read anything from this one. Remember that F1 in KSP collects a screenshot. Also use imgur for storing pictures. Also reactor window would be nice. I can't read what is the propellant on the thermal nozzle.

14 hours ago, JEB'S DESTINY said:

For some reason, my Alcubierre Drive holds various amounts of exotic matter instead of a solid 20000 exotic matter. Could anybody explain this.

Probably during timewarp. Current resource module in KSPI-E isn't perfect. In order to avoid overruns/underruns Wasteheat, MJ, thermal power, charged particles, exotic matter (almost all KSPI-E power specific resources) are scaled during timewarp.

3 hours ago, Arivald Ha'gel said:

I'd say we will need better screenshot (better picture quality). One cannot read anything from this one. Remember that F1 in KSP collects a screenshot. Also use imgur for storing pictures. Also reactor window would be nice. I can't read what is the propellant on the thermal nozzle.

There is a link to more high-res screenshot in the post, you just need to go to the site and zoom. Nozzle is configured to use LiquidFuel (which I have in cargo), fuel consumption is zero. I will attach reactor window when I'm back to my PC. Thank you

I do not use Near Future anything except props for mark4 expansion. - i do not use FAR...

I am aware that it might be mod conflicts causing my issues, but does anyone else experience these issues before wasting freethinkers time?

I've been making mid tier ships recently (no antimatter, just starter fusion techs) and after all my testing i cant seem to do a few things / having issues with others... like...

1. None of my thrusters are able to use hydrazine except some electric ones. am i missing a tech unlock ?

2. my pebblebed reactors max power is 3000 while the timberwind (which is a pebblebed reactor + thermal nozzle) is 6000, and weighs less. and has a thermal generator on it.. making it excessively better in every concieveable way.

3. my plasma nozzles are fantastic but only if on a dusty plasma reactor - liquid fuel 4550 isp 72 thrust at the smallest size. i use 4 reactors and 4 thrusters on my all in one exploration lander (which needs to be purtied up before screen shots taken of it =P)

4. many -MANY descriptions of things are borked for me. like the mentioned plasma nozzle has the same description as the magnetic nozzle - i.e. only works on charged particle engines, when it works just fine on anything.

trying to figure out the resource creation is mind-numbing, i have no idea where to find salt or anything of the kspie stuff, or make pebblebed my nuclear fuels. even with my all in one kspie ISRU on my base

trying to keep part counts down to a minimum is it possible to get an all in one liquid/gas/solid container for all these resources provided that i can locate them? >< i love the all in one IRSU idea an all in one container would dramatically reduce part count on my base from having 30+ things of whatever down to what i actually need to use. having a tank holding 1 million units of something i keep at 0.1 cause im changing it into something else is a waste of space and partcount.

i have around 96 mods (recently trimmed) with uh. "all" of the base building mods installed so i got .. more than a few drills to experiment with. but scansat doesn't show any kspie materials... although i feel like i didn't do enough research out of game, which it shouldn't take referencing a wiki to figure out how to make lithium if i have all those techs unlocked in game right? i feel like i am missing the first step of the journey into kspie refining..

@FreeThinker would it be possible to make two reactors give their thrust to one engine in the future? - i'm aware of tweak scaling the reactor up but sometimes longer is better than wider? i.e. stacking 2 pebblebeds atop of each other to give their combined power to a single plasma thruster, or thermal thruster increasing isp/thrust  accordingly?

Hello! Please help is needed. I am trying to build up a microwave relay network, and still cant quite get the principles of it. I've seen the videos on youtube but they are either outdated or people there just show the complete satellite without explaining how it should be configured or what each part shoud be doing on that setup (transmitting, relaying, receiving etc). And wiki is not informative or just I am too stupid. So the questions are:

1. What setup should a generic relay satellite have? (How many and what dishes).

2 .How should they be configured, so they are working with each other?

If there is any up to date guide or video or your own relay network that would be nice. I stress again I need the very basic satellite setup with the first parts researched in career.

I have several ground power stations on Kerbin and one 6gw at LKO and I managed to get Rockets into orbit with mk1 inline receivers. But when it comes to building up relays I get lost. I'm using MKS and KSPI as my core mods and after certain point game goes exponentially more complex.

P.S. A question regarding thermal nozzle rocket engine. I've noticed it acting strangely. I use it to get a 80 ton payload into orbit and then send to the Mun in one stage. After Mun transfer maneuver is complete I decouple the first stage and there is plenty delta V left for it to return. When I start the braking turn the engine suddenly stops after several seconds of burning. There is still plenty of fuel it gets power from satellites, but it generates zero thrust. Switching back to KSC and back to that engine makes it work again as normal again. It happens most of the time after I decouple from the main pay load. What could be the cause of it?

Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, Fairin said:

2. my pebblebed reactors max power is 3000 while the timberwind (which is a timberwind reactor + thermal nozzle) is 6000, and weighs less. and has a thermal generator on it.. making it excessively better in every concieveable way.

eww, have you noticed the timberwind  can only produce less than a megawatt while the pebblebed can produce more than a gigawatt ? the pebbelbed is more mend as a all round high performance reactor while the timberwind main purpose is specialized in high thrust. it was developed to launch intercontinental misses to deliver continent wide destruction.

Edited by FreeThinker

Are there any example KSPIE VAB craft for download?  I checked KerbalX to no useful avail.  Have tried making my own Reactor-Generator-Engine combo using the KSPIE wiki, etc.., to no avail.  Have radiators, have fuel, am in vaccum, etc..  Would appreciate a working craft file to reverse engineer to see what I'm doing wrong.  Thank you!!!

21 hours ago, celestis said:

Hi!

kspi_problem.png

Did you check its thermal radiating capacity for kerbin (where it defaults) or for eve?  Eve is close to the sun so you need more radiators to cool.

2 hours ago, Temeriki said:

Did you check its thermal radiating capacity for kerbin (where it defaults) or for eve?  Eve is close to the sun so you need more radiators to cool.

Yes, heat management is ok. Actually, I think the issue was with KAS fuel pipes, for some reason mod logic went nuts after some time with my craft and refused to supply fuel to engine after some magic moment. I redesigned the stage not to contain a decoupler and now fuel goes fine w/o pipes and everything is working fine. Thanks

17 hours ago, Fairin said:

trying to figure out the resource creation is mind-numbing, i have no idea where to find salt or anything of the kspie stuff, or make pebblebed my nuclear fuels. even with my all in one kspie ISRU on my base. I feel like i am missing the first step of the journey into kspie refining..

trying to keep part counts down to a minimum

Yeah, the documentation is a mess. There's a chart for ISRU resource flow on the first page of this thread, nothing in-game.

I recommend you start with stuff from the first ISRU tech node and not the All-In-One, it's less overwhelming that way. That leaves you with:

1. universal drill - for everything (except asteroids?)

and 4 ISRU units:

1. processor - turns drill output into usable resources

2. converter - handles nuclear fission fuel creation/reprocessing, and some advanced resource conversions around Carbon and Nitrogen

3. electrolyzer - breaks down molecules (time to get out your chemistry book)

4. refrigerator - conversion between liquid/gas

Each unit has a small amount of storage for the resources it works with.

It would also be easier to start with another, simpler product. Pebblebed fuel (Uranium nitride) is maybe the most complex one out there. You'd go like this:

Flourite (Universal drill) -> Flourine (processor) -> Lqd.Flourine(refrigerator/cryo tank)

Uraninite(Universal drill) -> Enriched Uranium(processor)

Nitratine(Universal drill) -> Nitrogen(processor)

Hydrates(Universal drill) ->Lqd.Water(processor) -> Hydrogen(electrolyzer)

Enriched Uranium + Liquid Flourine -> Uranium Flouride(converter)

Nitrogen + Hydrogen -> Ammonia(converter)

Uranium Flouride + Ammonia -> Uranium Nitride(converter)

On top of that you need a bunch of resource containers, since nothing stores primary drill resources(4) or radioactive mid-products(4) and some processes can't agree on using liquid or gas variants.

Hi,

even with the actual version, still this error :

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: WarpPlugin/Patches/RealFuelsFix/@TANK_DEFINITION[ServiceModule,Fuselage,Jet,Xenon]:FOR[WarpPlugin]:Final

[ModuleManager] ModuleManager: 32940 patches applied, found 1 error

1 error related to GameData/WarpPlugin/Patches/RealFuelsFix.cfg

regards

21 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

eww, have you noticed the timberwind  can only produce less than a megawatt while the pebblebed can produce more than a gigawatt ? the pebbelbed is more mend as a all round high performance reactor while the timberwind main purpose is specialized in high thrust. it was developed to launch intercontinental misses to deliver continent wide destruction.

Spoiler

timberwind + thermal generator + obscene radiators ran it for a few minutes to get the heat stable - nearly 4gw of thermal power to electricty for my electric thrusters.

unknown.png?width=1018&height=573

Spoiler

replaced timberwind with pebblebed+thermal rocket nozzle - 2.1gw of power for my electric engines.

Spoiler

thermal rocket thruster - 771 isp 583 thrust, well its better isp than a timberwind

unknown.png

Spoiler

but the timberwind has 3x the thrust, for 682 isp

total weight of timberwind + generator is 19t, total weight of pebblebed+gen+thruster is 17.5.

changing out the thruster for a lighter plasma thruster and whatnot makes the pebblebed more efficient but considering you could tack on some electric engines and blow the efficiency out of the water with a timberwind...

i'd love the pebblebed to be modular and more competitive. - would it be terribly gamebreaking to have it at 6000 power as well? - i surmise i could change this myself in the config file couldn't i... ha...

petpeevetime : having multiple KSPIE engines on a ship makes it wobble due to the variable thrusts - extremely evident on electric thrusters like this setup (pair of engines on the outrigs) not getting 100% power makes one thruster give more than the other and makes it impossible to control - and happens to a lesser extent to plasma nozzles on my plasma shard craft (its got 4 in a box pattern). wobbles annoyingly with the thrusters not giving even thrust even though they're the same and have their own independent reactors

said craft was overenginered to be perfectly balanced and works great till the overheat % kicks in and changes the thrust on the engines seemingly randomly making them uneven.

is there a way to prevent this?.or turn it off? - without ignoreheat cheat or 100% power ect? i'd love to spend a week overengineering a craft with rotating v-tol electric engines or something, or like the test ship i made above - have a main thruster for lift offs and a pair of outrigged electric engines for orbital maneuvers