KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

Quick Question: Is the Inline Thermal Receiver broken ?

When i try to use the Thermal Rocket Nouzle in combination with a Internal Heat Receiver (Atmospheric Launch from KSP), the Nozzle explodes in seconds. It has the full fuelflow, liquidfuel v- the "Krusader" >Thermal Rocket Nozzle. So, when i use a reactor it works. When i use the Internal Heat Receiver, it works for 1 second until the Nozzle just blows up. I also tryed to stack several heat exchangers on it. Nothing. ;)

Cheers,

Ferigad

Edited by Ferigad

3 hours ago, Ferigad said:

Quick Question: Is the Inline Thermal Receiver broken ?

When i try to use the Thermal Rocket Nouzle in combination with a Internal Heat Receiver (Atmospheric Launch from KSP), the Nozzle explodes in seconds. It has the full fuelflow, liquidfuel v- the "Krusader" >Thermal Rocket Nozzle. So, when i use a reactor it works. When i use the Internal Heat Receiver, it works for 1 second until the Nozzle just blows up. I also tryed to stack several heat exchangers on it. Nothing. ;)

Cheers,

Ferigad

How much power are you sending to the thermal receiver? Are you using any mods that later part temperatures, At what tech level is your thermal control? (how many thermal control techs have you unlocked)

Hi!

I first used several modpacks and deleted them all. I did NOT made a clear installation, i only deleted all modpacks, config files and the used KSPIE from the mod folder. I then reinstalled KSPIE, 1.3.1 only, by manuel copy/paste from the zip.

I created a new game, in sandbox mode (All unlocked, all tech). I then made a testbuild:

A simple command pod, a fueltank with oxy/Liquid fuel, a Inline Heatsink,  Thermal Reciver Mk1 and a Thermal Rocket Nozzle.

For the Power i used a rover with a peddel bed reactor, the generator for it, heatsinks and  the airborne diode laser transmitter, fitted for long infrared.

Power Reciver Interface states:

Aperture 1.875 m - Facing 99.325% - 2.3 GW total transmitter power - Spotsize 4mm - Wavelength 11 um, networkpower 2.3 GW, Available P. 2.3 GW, Consumed 0, Network Eff. 98.88%, Receiver Eff. 99%

Then i launch it, at 100% thrust it goes directly boom, if i set it to 20% thrust i can see that it hits a threhhold around 18% thrust, then the heat spikes (over 2100 K in under 1 second) engine goes red and boom.

Funfact: It doesnt matter if i put the thermal nozzle directly on the thermal reciver mk1 or if i put it up reciver/fueltank/nozzle. It will always detonate when i try to launch.

But when i use a peddle bed reactor directly on the rocket - works like a charme.

Before that i used KSPIE with several Modpacks for science and station science, the only modpack that maybe changes the heatcalculation could be the Kolonization from RoverDude.

But other then that it was just ScanSat, DMagic Orbital Science, KIS/KAS/Universal Storage, Station Orbital Science and Extraplanetary Launchpads.

Download Version 1.20.3 for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.5 from here

Released on 2018-10-03

• Compiled against KSP 1.4.5
  • Added Triangle Solar Receiver
  • Improved matching radiator energy transfer with maximum radiator temperature
  • Balance: Increased power output Target Fusion Reactor and Plasma Jet Magneto Inertial Reactor
  • Balance: restored Positron Antimatter reactor ability to use air and non cryogenic propellants
  • Fixed thrust of thermal nozzle not connected to thermal source
  • Fixed instant overheating Thermal Nozzle connected with inline thermal receiver
  • Fixed buoyancy of convection radiators which now sink in water
  • Fixed Part filters
Edited by FreeThinker

Hey, I was working the orbital telescope contract and it was very unclear about the requirements. Why aren't you using the stock requirements checklist so I can check whether my vessel matches by just rolling it out? 

Also, I thought you meant a stock like science lab so I had station parts extended 3.75 M lab on the thing, when I actually needed a ** station science ** lab, apparently... 

Also still, my instinct for launching this was to send it directly to a graveyard orbit of 4,000km at 10% inclination so it wouldn't pose a risk to anything... Really, the contract needs to spell this out. =| 

2 hours ago, AlonzoTG said:

Also, I thought you meant a stock like science lab so I had station parts extended 3.75 M lab on the thing, when I actually needed a ** station science ** lab, apparently...

It is using Contract Configurator and  according to the contract file, it can be either any part that contains the stock ModuleScienceLab or StationScienceModule when it is installed

Edited by FreeThinker

I was wondering about the scaled-down versions of the nuclear reactors - are they meant to be so cheap?

A tiny (0.95m) molten salt reactor (and thermal-generator) is still pretty useful for small bases and costs peanuts, whereas the K&K reactor costs 400K.

15 hours ago, von Fabricius said:

It seems like the thermal problems are solved now.

But I can only use fuels like liquid xenon,nitrogen,carbondioxid,neon and atmos for the thermal jet/ramjet.

Is it supposed to be able to use hydrogen,liquidfuel and so on?

Hydrogen, Ammonia, Hydrazine and Methane (and by extension LiquidFuel) are reducing substances, which would corrode and engine capable of heating oxidising substances like Air, Water, CO2. The Fact is that thermal engine heat exchanges can only have either an anti-oxidising coating or an anti-reducing coating but not both.

One problem with solid-core NTRs is that if the propellant is corrosive, that is, if it is oxidizing or reducing, heating it up to three thousand degrees is just going to make it more reactive. Without a protective coating, the propellant will start corroding away the interior of the reactor, which will make for some real excitement when it starts dissolving the radioactive fuel rods. What's worse, a protective coating against an oxidizing chemical is worthless against a reducing chemical, which will put a crimp in your wilderness refueling. And trying to protect against both is an engineering nightmare. Oxidizing propellants include oxygen, water, and carbon dioxide, while reducing propellants include hydrogen, ammonia, and methane. Carbon Monoxide is neither, as the carbon atom has a death-grip on the oxygen atom.

source: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist.php

On the bright side, you can connect a reactor to multiple nozzles and switch between the reducing and oxidising resistant engines.

Alternatively use Liquid Helium, which isp is resonably comparible with Hydrogen but twise as dense

Edited by FreeThinker

18 hours ago, Omeran said:

I was wondering about the scaled-down versions of the nuclear reactors - are they meant to be so cheap?

A tiny (0.95m) molten salt reactor (and thermal-generator) is still pretty useful for small bases and costs peanuts, whereas the K&K reactor costs 400K.

Scaling balance is indeed a problem, which especially for scaled-down reactors can lead to some ridiculous cheap cost. By default, everything in tweakscale scales with cube-law, meaning half the size equals to 1/8 the cost. Fortunately, there is a solution, but it would require some development effort

Edited by FreeThinker

On 10/5/2018 at 1:38 PM, FreeThinker said:

Scaling balance is indeed a problem, which especially for scaled-down reactors can lead to some ridiculous cheap cost. By default, everything in tweakscale scales with cube-law, meaning half the size equals to 1/8 the cost. Fortunately, there is a solution, but it would require some development effort

Well for example the science junior module and surface scanner get more expensive as you make them smaller, so basically you pay for miniaturization.

If that's doable it may even allow miniaturization for some of the bulky parts like Tokamak or the huge beam receivers, without breaking game balance.

6 minutes ago, samooo2 said:

Well for example the science junior module and surface scanner get more expensive as you make them smaller, so basically you pay for miniaturization.

If that's doable it may even allow miniaturization for some of the bulky parts like Tokamak or the huge beam receivers, without breaking game balance.

Well that a bit of an extreme example and not applyable generically. But I what I can do reasonably easy is scale the cost of part with surface area instead of volume, this will make scaled down part significantly more expansive while decreasing the cost of scaled up part. It will be introduced next release for all reactors.

Version 1.20.4 for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.5 is now available from here

Released on 2018-10-06

• Added Surface area cost scaling for reactors
  • Added ability to use KSPIE reactors as power source for Radio telescope contract
  • Balance: gives LiquidFuel the same cryogenic cooling effect on engine heat production as Liquid Hydrogen
  • Balance: Restored heat production NERVA to same level as Stock NERV
  • Balance: limit Nuclear Ramjet to neutral an oxidizing propellants
  • Balance: Reduced Maximum temperature of non graphene radiator in oxygen rich atmospheres
  • Fixed Photovoltaic Powered Beamed Power distribution
  • Fixed issue of dropping out of time warp when running out of beamed power on Electric Engines
  • Fixed inconsistencies Photovoltaic efficiencies
  • Fixed Triangle Photovoltaic beamed power receive coverage

Hmm another weird issue with thermal nozzles.

When not having any fuel for them other than air intakes, the engine switches to air automatically when in flight. So for so good.

But when adding a fuel tank with liquid helium, then it's not possible to select air as fuel when flying.

I cannot select air as fuel in in the builder as well.

Kinda makes the engine pointless.

11 hours ago, von Fabricius said:

Hmm another weird issue with thermal nozzles.

When not having any fuel for them other than air intakes, the engine switches to air automatically when in flight. So for so good.

But when adding a fuel tank with liquid helium, then it's not possible to select air as fuel when flying.

I cannot select air as fuel in in the builder as well.

Kinda makes the engine pointless.

I tested it with the Molten Salt and Pebbele Bed and it works as it should. Exactly what reactor were you using?

Edited by FreeThinker

Just now, von Fabricius said:

No change. The plane is a newly built testplane. Using the latest versions available from CKAN.

Oh, please notice that for some reason, (as of 6 hours ago) the latest version is not available from CKAN (even though interstellar fuel did get updated)

1 minute ago, Omeran said:

Oh, please notice that for some reason, (as of 6 hours ago) the latest version is not available from CKAN (even though interstellar fuel did get updated)

Mmm, that would explain it. Exactly what version is currently visible in CKAN?

4 minutes ago, von Fabricius said:

That would explain why I have hardly seen any download of the new KSPIE 1.20.4 version. My best guess it has something to do with how I created the zip file, I used a slightly better compression. I guess CKAN cannot handle it. I guess I have to re-upload with basic compression