FreeThinker

[1.3.1/1.4.5/1.5.1/1.6.0] KSP Interstellar Extended 1.20.16 Support Thread

14 hours ago, wkwied said:

Without using a solar sail or a warp drive, I haven't the slightest idea on how to make a ship that has the power to go to another star and refuel, or be self sustaining...

The Ticket to ride for a grand tour of the galaxy is a vessel with

• Bussard Fusion Engine
  • Bussard Magnetic Scoop (which can collect solarwind from the interstellar medium or directly from the star)
  • ISRU Refrigerator (to convert collected solarwind into hydrogen, helium and traces of other resources)
  • Muon Catalyzed Fusion Reactor to power the Magnetic scoop  (in NTO fusion mode)
  • Frozen Hydrogen Storage (preferably 1 big spherical tank to minimize mass)
  • Sufficient amount of radiators (preferably static to minimize mass).

Although the Bussard Magnetic scoop allows you to refuel the vessel, it generates drag and the hydrogen is not distributed evenly and in the interstellar medium, you need a decent amount of speed (0.01c) before they start to collect a reasonable amount of hydrogen. Also note you need to store some helium to maintain the magnet scoop which is leaky.

Edited by FreeThinker

So I built this probe using Extraplanetary Launchpads and it is supposed to have Enriched Uranium as the fuel for the reactor that is built in to the engine.  I have Enriched Uranium on the station to load up.  If you look in the middle of the context panel you will see the reactor fuel is Plutonium TRW.  I don't know how to change that.  Once the craft is launched you can't change it and you can't change it here.

If I launch this probe from the KSP it has Enriched Uranium as the fuel for the reactor and the engine works as it's supposed to.

Spoiler

9udoVOW.png

I got this as a response on the EL forum page

@snoopydude: EL does not know anything about these mods (and is written in such a way that it should not have to). When it comes to resources that cannot be transferred, the mods defining those resources need to provide resource recipes specifying how the resources are to be built. If the configuration of the part itself is incorrect, then the part module in question is not configuring itself in the correct manner. For parts to work correctly with EL, their part modules need to have configured themselves by the time their OnStart() functions have completed, otherwise EL will not see the part's mass or resources correctly.

If I am understanding the response correctly something is supposed to be configured before OnStart() functions are completed but isn't.  Is there a fix for this?  I'm really confused.

11 minutes ago, snoopydude said:

So I built this probe using Extraplanetary Launchpads and it is supposed to have Enriched Uranium as the fuel for the reactor that is built in to the engine.  I have Enriched Uranium on the station to load up.  If you look in the middle of the context panel you will see the reactor fuel is Plutonium TRW.  I don't know how to change that.  Once the craft is launched you can't change it and you can't change it here.

If I launch this probe from the KSP it has Enriched Uranium as the fuel for the reactor and the engine works as it's supposed to.

Reveal hidden contents

9udoVOW.png

If I am understanding the response correctly something is supposed to be configured before OnStart() functions are completed but isn't.  Is there a fix for this?  I'm really confused.

KSPIE Reactors will automatically use alternatives when it cannot find the intended fuel

Reveal hidden contents

KSPIE Reactors will automatically use alternatives when it cannot find the intended fuel

When I turned the reactor on on the engine it produced no power as no Enriched Uranium was transfered to the engine when it was created.

Hello, I recently installed version 1.20.13.1 of the interstellar mod and i cant get the power relays to work. I use the Double-Pivoting Phased Array Antenna which has a build in relay function. When i click "activate relay" everything seems to be working at first: It connects to the power transmitter and when i got to the probe that is supposed to receive the relayed power, it even shows that there is a relay (in the power receiver interface). It also says for example "Relays Connected 0/3" (with 3 being the correct amount of relays that i build). However, i do not receive any power at all, regardless of distance and wavelengths etc.. It doesnt seem to connect to the relays.

Power transfer works fine when i have direct line of sight to the power transmitter transmitter.

https://imgur.com/a/3CZ8n9N

Edit: I installed version 1.20.5 and now the Relays are working with exactly the same setup. I also tried version 1.20.16, which didn't work either. This is consistent with this report: https://github.com/sswelm/KSP-Interstellar-Extended/issues/257

I hope this will be fixed for future versions. For now, the older version works fine.

Edited by bratimm
New information

On 2/6/2019 at 6:37 AM, FreeThinker said:

The Ticket to ride for a grand tour of the galaxy is a vessel with

• Bussard Fusion Engine
  • Bussard Magnetic Scoop (which can collect solarwind from the interstellar medium or directly from the star)
  • ISRU Refrigerator (to convert collected solarwind into hydrogen, helium and traces of other resources)
  • Muon Catalyzed Fusion Reactor to power the Magnetic scoop  (in NTO fusion mode)
  • Frozen Hydrogen Storage (preferably 1 big spherical tank to minimize mass)
  • Sufficient amount of radiators (preferably static to minimize mass).

Although the Bussard Magnetic scoop allows you to refuel the vessel, it generates drag and the hydrogen is not distributed evenly and in the interstellar medium, you need a decent amount of speed (0.01c) before they start to collect a reasonable amount of hydrogen. Also note you need to store some helium to maintain the magnet scoop which is leaky.

What is NTO fusion mode? On the Muon reactor, the only fusion modes I have is CNO cycle, proton-Deuterium, and proton-proton-proton fusion

What can I store helium? The spherical cryo tanks? The only one I've spotted that sports just helium is the Mk10-XL airbag. Would liquid helium work for this?
And on this note, is HE4=liquid helium=helium? Then what is HE3?
How would I collect helium while in flight?

I've tried to throw together, in this order,

magnetic scoop, command pod, ISRU refrigerator, wrapped radiator, Muon reactor set to CNO, spherical tank with HE4, big sphere tank with LH2, bussard engine.

I can't seem to make fuel I think I had figured it out, however I am always receiving the error saying Fusion Reactor plasma heating can not be guaranteed. What does this mean and how can I rectify it?

Additionally another question, regarding batteries. I understand 1k energy=1mw, but I'm a bit unsure as to the purpose to some of the batteries. IFS Capacitor stores energy and MW, and converts between the two, so do I need this if anything on my craft uses both energy and MW?
The Lithium air battery, I don't understand at all. What is KwH used for?

Thank you!

Edited by wkwied

54 minutes ago, wkwied said:

What is NTO fusion mode? On the Muon reactor, the only fusion modes I have is CNO cycle, proton-Deuterium, and proton-proton-proton fusion

Yes, I mend CNO mode. Alternatively you could also use proton-Deuterium combined with a Deuterium-Deuterium fusion capable reactor or proton-proton-proton fusion with a He3-He3 fusion capable reactor, your choice

1 hour ago, wkwied said:

What can I store helium? The spherical cryo tanks? The only one I've spotted that sports just helium is the Mk10-XL airbag. Would liquid helium work for this?

Well you could use the IFS Gas Storage containers but for large storage amount you are advised to use cryogenic storage. IFS Cryostorage tanks allow you to easily convert between Helium Gas and Liquid Helium.

1 hour ago, wkwied said:

And on this note, is HE4=liquid helium=helium? Then what is HE3?

Yes, Helium4 and helium are the same thing. He3 is short for Helium3, an uncommon stable isotope suitable for fusion energy. Helium4  technically can also fusion but is much much harder. Helium4 s also called fusion ask. In KSPIE you can still use it with a Cyclotron to fuse with other light resource to construct heavier atoms (like nitrogen and oxygen), but it cost more energy than it produces.

1 hour ago, wkwied said:

Additionally another question, regarding batteries. I understand 1k energy=1mw, but I'm a bit unsure as to the purpose to some of the batteries. IFS Capacitor stores energy and MW, and converts between the two, so do I need this if anything on my craft uses both energy and MW?

Well the bateries are usefull for part that require shot burt of high power like the Arcjet RCS or when when starting a fusion reactor. But more often than not they are used when combined with solar power to use them as high capacity batteries.

Thanks for the replies, once again. What about the message I receive stating " Fusion Reactor plasma heating can not be guaranteed "?

From my understanding, fusion need a large amount of power to start the reaction, but once it is already going, it is self sufficient. Because the reactor could be started in the editor, on launch, I imagine that would not be a problem, but I still do not understand the error.

Thanks

-- edit

cCPPjVZ.jpg

This is what I have. I threw up a bunch of solar panels to get energy from the sun. I can't seem to run the reactor unless I already have a store of MJ. For all intents and purposes it doesn't seem to be making energy, just taking it

Edited by wkwied

It seems the nuklear turbojet does not accept liquidfuel as a propellant anymore, why is that? I upgraded from 1.4.4 to 1.6.1. I tried to edit "WarpPlugin\Parts\Engines\NuclearTurbojet\NuclearTurboJet.cfg" as well as "WarpPlugin\Resources\EnginePropellants.cfg" but i dont understand this "supportedPropellantAtoms" / "supportedPropellantTypes" numbers. pls help or fix in next update.

EDIT: i set both values to 511 and now i can use LF again, but pls still fix in next update. thx.

Edited by Altaica

On 2/9/2019 at 7:33 PM, wkwied said:

Thanks for the replies, once again. What about the message I receive stating " Fusion Reactor plasma heating can not be guaranteed "?

It usually means your Power storage is too low, potentially causing your power to die as your fusion reactor is consuming more power than it can produce.  This is usually a result of your fusion energy to electric power conversion. In the case of the Muon catalysed fusion reaction, it attempting to converting photon energy into electric power, but in order to do that it needs to get rid of waste energy fast, otherwise, the whole system starts to lose efficiency causing the reactor to die.

14 hours ago, Altaica said:

It seems the nuklear turbojet does not accept liquidfuel as a propellant anymore, why is that? I upgraded from 1.4.4 to 1.6.1. I tried to edit "WarpPlugin\Parts\Engines\NuclearTurbojet\NuclearTurboJet.cfg" as well as "WarpPlugin\Resources\EnginePropellants.cfg" but i dont understand this "supportedPropellantAtoms" / "supportedPropellantTypes" numbers. pls help or fix in next update.

EDIT: i set both values to 511 and now i can use LF again, but pls still fix in next update. thx.

Liquid Fuel is considered a reducing propellant similar to MHD, methane and hydrogen, which are its real counterpart. The THermal Turbojet main function is to heat up oxygenated air, which requires it to have an antioxidising coating to prevent the heat exchanger from dissolving.  This prevents it from using a reducing propellant which would quickly dissolve the coating at +2500K temperatures. Instead, use chemical neutral propellant (Helium, Neon, Argon, Nitrogen) or oxidating propellants, like CO2, H20, H2O2 

Edited by FreeThinker