KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

7 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Have you tried activating it with a Kerbal Engeneer on EVA? When a EVA Kerbal is Close to the engine, it should have the ability to active the reactor.

I hadn't, it was on a station core I was shipping interplanetary and then constructing in-situ. I use life support mods so shipping it over unmanned was my preference.

It's a nice challenge to need to have a crew rendezvous with the nuclear rocket prior to shipping OR come up with a design where the core can be activated on the launch pad without shredding the extendable radiators. Tempers the upgraded Timberwind a bit. Thanks for the info.

Do you take contributions to the wiki pretty freely? It seems like a lot of digging is necessary to get "good" at KSPIE and there's a lot of helpful but unfortunately outdated or incomplete information in random corners of the internet. If I could find all of the info on the wiki I would happily have read it cover to cover (I have read it cover to cover, it's just incomplete and outdated). I bet some community contributions in a central spot could spark a real makeover of the documentation. 

4 minutes ago, whitespacekilla said:

Do you take contributions to the wiki pretty freely? It seems like a lot of digging is necessary to get "good" at KSPIE and there's a lot of helpful but unfortunately outdated or incomplete information in random corners of the internet. If I could find all of the info on the wiki I would happily have read it cover to cover (I have read it cover to cover, it's just incomplete and outdated). I bet some community contributions in a central spot could spark a real makeover of the documentation. 

Any help including help in improving docmentation would be welcome

The Wiki can be found at https://github.com/sswelm/KSP-Interstellar-Extended/wiki

I'm not sure but I believe everybody can can the wiki, if not I can add you as a collaborator.

Edited by FreeThinker

Can someone explain the physics behind the nuclear LIGHTBULB?

If you increase thrust (increase the propellant mass flow) with the thrust the ISP and thrust increase.

However when increasing the mass flow with the slider, thrust increases and ISP decreases.

On 7/23/2019 at 8:54 PM, Dollehz said:

Can someone explain the physics behind the nuclear LIGHTBULB?

If you increase thrust (increase the propellant mass flow) with the thrust the ISP and thrust increase.

However when increasing the mass flow with the slider, thrust increases and ISP decreases.

The Nuclear Lightbulb, takes a bit of time to get to full temperature and it performance better when approaching maximum power output where maximizes Isp but performance will be reduced at lower throttle where the reactor core operates at a lower core temperature. By default the Closed Cycle Gas Core tries to maximize isp, but when you need more thrust, like durring assend from a gravity well, you have the option to increase the mass flow, effectivly lowing the temperature the propellant is heated to , which will effectivly increase thrust at the expense of isp. THe ability to operate anywhere and able to increase gears makes it one of the most versitale engines available.

Edited by FreeThinker

On 7/24/2019 at 1:28 AM, whitespacekilla said:

There's a build of KJR that will show the added autostruts, that's what those lines are. I thought it had a ui to enable and disable but my memory is a little foggy and every currently available fork of KJR krakens my craft to pieces eventually. I don't find it all that useful in modern KSP, anyway. The occasional autostrut or quantum strut always fixes even the wonkiest designs for me. 

Yep :) TY this was it.  I had simply missed the ui menu.  I knew it would be something simple that I was missing lol.  TY very much :)

K-C

Edited by gandt2

Hi, I made a ship with Nuclear Lightbulb engine using liquid fuel, but the Isp in vacuum is only 700s. For this combination of engine and fuel Isp shoud be 1400s (0,8*22,136*Sqrt(6250)) as the formula in the part description says. But for some unknown reason, Propellant Isp modifier is only 0,400 and not 0,800. See the photo for details: https://imgur.com/a/PtPO4Qt

Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?

I'm running KSP-IE 1.21.7.4 on 1.7.0.2483 KSP base game

3 hours ago, Robineg said:

Hi, I made a ship with Nuclear Lightbulb engine using liquid fuel, but the Isp in vacuum is only 700s. For this combination of engine and fuel Isp shoud be 1400s (0,8*22,136*Sqrt(6250)) as the formula in the part description says. But for some unknown reason, Propellant Isp modifier is only 0,400 and not 0,800. See the photo for details: https://imgur.com/a/PtPO4Qt

Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?

I'm running KSP-IE 1.21.7.4 on 1.7.0.2483 KSP base game

No, but the information in the Part info screen is incorrect, the Isp ration of Liquid Fuel for Gas Cores is not 0.8 but 0.4, so your Isp will only be 700 instead of 1400.

Edited by FreeThinker

On 7/23/2019 at 5:42 PM, FreeThinker said:

The Wiki can be found at https://github.com/sswelm/KSP-Interstellar-Extended/wiki

I'm not sure but I believe everybody can can the wiki, if not I can add you as a collaborator.

Your repository is set to only allow collaborators to edit wiki. Have you had problems with spam? Plz add me, or open it to public so I can contribute.

1 hour ago, Tomáš Brada said:

Your repository is set to only allow collaborators to edit wiki. Have you had problems with spam? Plz add me, or open it to public so I can contribute.

sure you need to tell me your GitHub name

2 minutes ago, lobf said:

@Vanamonde All good, it was acting inconsistently on my end so I wasn't sure if anything was happening! 

@FreeThinker Any idea about this engine animation glitch? 

I don't know, I don't think KSPIE has anything to do with it, I need to look at the logs  to give any judgement on what might be the problem

9 minutes ago, lobf said:

@FreeThinker Any idea about this engine animation glitch? 

I'm running the latest version of the mod and game with other mods, so I'm fairly sure this isn't a problem with KSPIE. Consider disabling a few mods at a time to see which one is causing this?

@FreeThinker Here is my log.

@wkwied I was looking in to this issue last night, and I saw a few other instances of it occurring for others. Speculation was generally KSPIE, and the only other mods I updated were Filter Extensions and Toolbar Control, which I wouldn't imagine would affect this, but then again you never know... 

However, given the fact that I have seen this occur for others who were using this mod, I would be eternally grateful if FreeThinker would have a look at my log and offer whatever perspective (s)he might have. 

Thank you! 

4 hours ago, TheRag said:

I too also have this engine animation glitch as well for the same engine, for the NERVA.

https://imgur.com/u52hOLD

Well at least for NERVA I found a small mistake which cause KSPIE not to be present on the NERV , but  fixed it, but  the  observed effect is realy weird

5 hours ago, lobf said:

@FreeThinker Here is my log.

@wkwied I was looking in to this issue last night, and I saw a few other instances of it occurring for others. Speculation was generally KSPIE, and the only other mods I updated were Filter Extensions and Toolbar Control, which I wouldn't imagine would affect this, but then again you never know... 

However, given the fact that I have seen this occur for others who were using this mod, I would be eternally grateful if FreeThinker would have a look at my log and offer whatever perspective (s)he might have. 

Thank you! 

Looking through the log I notice the following:

[ERR 18:53:26.740] Input is null for field 'agent' in config node 'CONTRACT'
   at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
   at ConfigNode.AddValue(System.String name, System.String value)
   at Contracts.Contract.Save(.ConfigNode node)
   at Contracts.ContractSystem.OnSave(.ConfigNode gameNode)
   at ScenarioModule.Save(.ConfigNode node)
   at ProtoScenarioModule..ctor(.ScenarioModule module)
   at ScenarioRunner.UpdateModules()
   at ScenarioRunner.GetUpdatedProtoModules()
   at Game.Updated(GameScenes startSceneOverride)
   at Game.Updated()
   at FlightDriver+<PostInit>c__Iterator0.MoveNext()
   at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)

[ERR 18:53:26.759] Input is null for field 'agent' in config node 'CONTRACT'
   at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
   at ConfigNode.AddValue(System.String name, System.String value)
   at Contracts.Contract.Save(.ConfigNode node)
   at ContractConfigurator.ContractPreLoader.OnSave(.ConfigNode node)
   at ScenarioModule.Save(.ConfigNode node)
   at ProtoScenarioModule..ctor(.ScenarioModule module)
   at ScenarioRunner.UpdateModules()
   at ScenarioRunner.GetUpdatedProtoModules()
   at Game.Updated(GameScenes startSceneOverride)
   at Game.Updated()
   at FlightDriver+<PostInit>c__Iterator0.MoveNext()
   at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)

Edited by FreeThinker

6 hours ago, TheRag said:

I too also have this engine animation glitch as well for the same engine, for the NERVA.

https://imgur.com/u52hOLD

@lobf, I can now confirm the observed behavious. the fix is simple

open WarpPlugin\Parts\Engines\NERVA\NERVA.cfg

find and replace

running_open
	{
//		AUDIO
//		{
//			channel = Ship
//			clip = sound_jet_deep
//			volume = 0.0 0.0
//			volume = 0.1 0.5