KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

13 hours ago, TheOrqwithVagrant said:

Having a very minor but also quite weird issue with the latest (at least I only just now noticed it) - thrust warp won't happen if I go to warp in map view. No error messaage, throttle gauge stays in place, but no accelleration occurs. I start warping in vessel view, it works fine, and continues to work fine when i switch back to map view. Super minor, easy workaround, but... odd.

I have a frazillion mods and a campaign save that's been going since 1.3.1 or arounds, so I'm *far* from sure this is actually KSPIe's 'fault', mostly posting it in case someone else runs into it and haven't 'noticed' the easy workaround :)

Intresting, I'm trying to figure out under what condition this happens. What operating system do you use, do you have any exotic/luxury keyboard? how fast is your computer? do you have any key logger software installed?

12 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Intresting, I'm trying to figure out under what condition this happens. What operating system do you use, do you have any exotic/luxury keyboard? how fast is your computer? do you have any key logger software installed?

HW: Ryzen7 1700X, 32G RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 ti

Keylogger: Definitely not :)

On 9/11/2019 at 11:46 PM, OOM said:

"A rough diamond that must be processed to shine." Probably the best philosophical explanation of KSP. Whatever it was, but KSP 2 capabilities are greater, some textures of parts such as fuel tanks and Daedalus are already present in the game, which will reduce the work on creating models. In addition, they said, KSP2 is better suited to modding than KSP1.

If you do a careful examination of mod added models and textures, you'll see that the mod added ones are not only higher quality but also better organized, take better advantage of unity and ksp features, etc. I would not count on a daedalus texture added in stock ksp2 saving modders much if any time and I have doubts as to ksp2 being "better suited" to modding just because one of the public facing team members (who doesn't generally code) said it. I look forward to the refactoring they've supposedly done to the physics system, I hope they stop shipping obfuscated code and/or document the interfaces available for modding, and ship a non-horrible UI modding framework. I'd say colonization systems are as likely to be worse than mods already available for ksp1 as not. Interplanetary systems I give a lower chance still although calculating thrust while unloaded would be a big improvement. 

@jhook777 Congratualtion on achieving the challange. I tough it was going to be tight but there is still a lot of room for improvement like adding stonger reaction wheels or rcs and adding more radiators to prevent the system from overheating.

Edited by FreeThinker

3 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

@jhook777 Congratualtion on achieving the challange. I tough it was going to be tight but there is still a lot of room for improvement like adding stonger reaction wheels or rcs and more adding radiators to prevent the system from overheating.

Thanks! That was really fun! Definitely could use more radiators, RCS, reaction wheels. It was a bit sluggish to turn and each time I fired up the warp drive I felt the reactor was going to explode and rip a hole in space time itself. :D  Good times!

5 hours ago, jhook777 said:

Question: should these go in the support thread instead?

support would be best. Educational video, but understand the main function of the magnetic scoop is to feed the bussard fusion engine and  muon catalized fusion engine, allowing virtual unlimited delta V when traveling to other stars. Therefore it would be best if you could demonstrate the magnetic scoop while traveling between stars.

Hello,

I noticed that in one of recent updates the old NERVA engine like you call it. Is doing the engine combustion animation even before trigger any stage, I am not sure if you are aware of that.

Is this a bug right @FreeThinker, or the idea is to keep the exhaust gas working just because is generating electricity? like it can be seen in the image.

A shot here of the current "InterStellarShuttle5_6":

d3axTwY.png

Edited by pmborg

On 9/23/2019 at 3:52 AM, FreeThinker said:

...but understand the main function of the magnetic scoop is to feed the bussard fusion engine and  muon catalized fusion engine, allowing virtual unlimited delta V when traveling to other stars. Therefore it would be best if you could demonstrate the magnetic scoop while traveling between stars.

Can do!

so @FreeThinker I'm again using some parts that I hadn't used in a while (hyperdrives) and also going some places that I don't usually go (Eve), and some behavior is.. concerning to me; some of it seems *new*, some of it may have always been this way; anyway, if you could please help me understand the following:

1. on Eve, a thermal ramjet nozzle can produce 0 thrust in the lower atmosphere, on closed-cycle hydrogen-peroxide fuel mode.  Why is that?  it works in space and in the upper atmosphere.  It works fine on Kerbin as well. (but as we know, Eve's atmosphere is thicker, so wanted to know if "these engines don't like really high atmospheric pressure" or if "this is a bug in KSPIE" :) )
2. warp drives propel the craft forward while *charging them*.  ie i'm in orbit, i "start charging" on the warp drive, and my orbit starts changing.  fairly significantly, over the time it takes to charge the thing.  I'm 99.999% sure charging them didn't change your orbit, last time I used these?
3. is the warp power-to-mass dependent at all upon the reactors/generators used to charge the warp drive, or only dependent upon the size of the warp drive unit itself?

@ss8913

1: The same reason it has always been, static presure. The thermal turbojet nozzle exit is too large for high presure atmosphere. Instead use atmospheric mode and only use propellant modes when in vacuum or at high altitudes

2: As you know, the Acubiere Warpdrive works on the basis of exotic matter which is used to expand space behind the drive durring warp. What makes exotic matter so special is that instead of beeing attracted to matter, it is repulsed by normal matter, effectivly making it fall up instead of down. Therefore when charging the warpdrive it will gradually start to cansel the vessel gravity (as if you are in zero g environment) and when overcharged will even start to repel gravity, making the vessel fall up. It effecticly allows you to hover a vessel at any altitude and  assend into space (but not orbit). When charging the drive orbit, it will effectivly make you vessel travel in a staight line, as if the celestrial body  is not there. I imagine this can look pretty weird from the perspectiveof someone who is used to orbital mechanics applying all the time.

3: Warp Power to Mass  ratio is based only on the warp engine strength (which scales with size). But charging speed and  maximum exotic matter antigravity strength depend on avialable power. Maintaining exotic power requires power proportional to the vessel mass times local gravity times ion pressure squared.

Edited by FreeThinker

8 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

@ss8913

1: The same reason it has always been, static presure. The thermal turbojet nozzle exit is too large for high presure atmosphere. Instead use atmospheric mode and only use propellant modes when in vacuum or at high altitudes

2: As you know, the Acubiere Warpdrive works on the basis of exotic matter which is used to expand space behind the drive durring warp. What makes exotic matter so special is that instead of beeing attracted to matter, it is repulsed by normal matter, effectivly making it fall up instead of down. Therefore when charging the warpdrive it will gradually start to cansel the vessel gravity (as if you are in zero g environment) and when overcharged will even start to repel gravity, making the vessel fall up. It effecticly allows you to hover a vessel at any altitude and  assend into space (but not orbit). When charging the drive orbit, it will effectivly make you vessel travel in a staight line, as if the celestrial body  is not there. I imagine this can look pretty weird from the perspectiveof someone who is used to orbital mechanics applying all the time.

3: Warp Power to Mass  ratio is based only on the warp engine strength (which scales with size). But charging speed and  maximum exotic matter antigravity strength depend on avialable power. Maintaining exotic power requires power proportional to the vessel mass times local gravity times ion pressure squared.

thanks!  makes sense.

I had an issue with internet latency with the live stream (but it helped by cutting the video length in half). This is the full version and there will be a link in the description to the shorter version. This demonstrates use of the mag scoop, bussard engine and muon catalyzed fusion reactor while travelling between stars. Have fun!

@jhook777 Once you passed the boundry of the heliophere, Ionisation of the  interstellar medium should significantly impove the amount of collected resource (solarwind). Due to the resultion of the video, I'm unable to read  what is going wrong here, but it appears you did not pass the boundry of the heliosphere yet when you turned the vessel and expected no solar wind from the homestar.

23 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

@jhook777 Once you passed the boundry of the heliophere, Ionisation of the  interstellar medium should significantly impove the amount of collected resource (solarwind). Due to the resultion of the video, I'm unable to read  what is going wrong here, but it appears you did not pass the boundry of the heliosphere yet when you turned the vessel and expected no solar wind from the homestar.

That makes sense. I was kinda thinking it had to do with the heliosphere. I need to do a lot more research on the subject because wow there is so much to learn! Thank you for clearing that up.

On 9/26/2019 at 3:41 AM, FreeThinker said:

@ss8913

A brief video to demonstrate this in action:

I have a craft that's spontaneously destroying itself on load. It appears to load normal at first, then suddenly reorients itself and shatters. Any ideas?

Tried removing Krebal Joint Reinformcement, no difference.. so I think it's something else, but have no idea where to begin. Logging is spammed so hard it wasn't very useful.

Link to log file:

http://order.synology.me/KSP.log

Starts about:
[LOG 03:19:47.792] Unpacking Minmus Orbital Lab
From what I can tell.
Appears error errupts here causing debris creation:

[ERR 03:20:13.969] A joint can't connect the body to itself.

Looking like an auto-strut kracken, wonder if turning off advanced tweakables will fix or if it's too late.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

Hi.

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to charge the warp-drive.   Using the latest KSP 1.7.3 and  KSPI-E from CKAN.

I can't get the exotic-matter to charge past 50%, no matter how much power I use or use a larger warp-drive. This worked well before.

Here is a screenshot.   Any ideas?

thanks!warp.png

6 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

@Maelstrom Vortex

I found the followinf error weird, as if the save is somehoe corrupted durring save

[ERR 03:20:13.969] A joint can't connect the body to itself.

No, I did some research, it's an auto-strut targeting failure. It had no target part. Happens on docked craft with auto-strut configs present. Problem is.. every space plane will have some form of landing gear. Every landing gear is auto-strut heavy by default.

But interestingly, the orbital moon base in the same config except that is not using the universal docking ports  is not giving the same failures... *confused*

Cheating the lab temporarily to moho, fixed the entire thing as one piece.. cheating it back to minmus, it broke again. Will try to fix it this weekend by cheating to moho and separating the craft then moving  them both back. I'm turning off advanced tweakables and manually strutting everything for now on.. and seeing if I can disable on landing gear.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

@FreeThinker here's a new one.. this is definitely new... it seems that if there are 2+ groups of KSPIE engines on a craft, ie, i have 4 thermal ramjets but they're in two symmetry pairs.. I assign an action group to all four of them bound to "Next Propellant" - it doesn't work.  right clicking the parts, i can switch propellant, but not from an action group.  If there is only a SINGLE symmetry group, ie, a single engine or a group of two, it's fine.  All other functions such as engine toggle, etc, work fine, it's only next/previous propellant that has this problem, and it's *recently* new, like... last version or two of KSPIE.