KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

4 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

@FreeThinker here's a new one.. this is definitely new... it seems that if there are 2+ groups of KSPIE engines on a craft, ie, i have 4 thermal ramjets but they're in two symmetry pairs.. I assign an action group to all four of them bound to "Next Propellant" - it doesn't work.  right clicking the parts, i can switch propellant, but not from an action group.  If there is only a SINGLE symmetry group, ie, a single engine or a group of two, it's fine.  All other functions such as engine toggle, etc, work fine, it's only next/previous propellant that has this problem, and it's *recently* new, like... last version or two of KSPIE.

I think you first have to remove the symetric parts from symetry mode before it works, otherwise they wll want to be in the same mode as their siblings

14 hours ago, enewmen said:

Hi.

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to charge the warp-drive.   Using the latest KSP 1.7.3 and  KSPI-E from CKAN.

I can't get the exotic-matter to charge past 50%, no matter how much power I use or use a larger warp-drive. This worked well before.

Here is a screenshot.   Any ideas?

thanks!warp.png

Did you notice the warp drive is in Ready mode? You only need to charge to half of your exotic matter storage (100% charge) to be able to use the warp engine. Notice exotic matter now has the property of generating antigravity. At 100% charged (half exotic matter storage) it generates as the same amount antigravity as you vessel mass generates gravity, effectively canceling eachother as if you are in a zero g environment. This setting allows your vessel to hover above the ground like a zeplin or travel in a straight line as if their as no planets or moons. Notice the Exotic Mattwe Percentage can be increased to higher than 100%, this will generate an excess of antigravity, this will make the vessel go straight up, radialy away from any gravity well. This allows you to assend into space from he surface.

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Did you notice the warp drive is in has ready mode? You only need to charge to half of your exotic matter storage (100% charge) to be able to use the warp engine. Notice exotic matter now has the property of generating antigravity. At 100% charged (half exotic matter storage) it generates as the same amount antigravity as you vessel mass generates gravity, effectively canceling eachother as if you are in a zero g environment. This setting allows your vessel to hover above the ground like a zeplin or travel in a straight line as if their as no planets or moons. Notice the Exotic Mattwe Percentage can be increased to higher than 100%, this will generate an excess of antigravity, this will make the vessel go straight up, radialy away from any gravity well. This allows you to assend into space from he surface.

Thanks for the post and explaining about increasing Exotic Matter and generating antigravity.

But I'm still having trouble doing a simple warp activation.  Even with plenty of power and Status Ready, I can't activate.

Sorry if I'm doing something dumb,

thanks!

warp2.png

6 minutes ago, enewmen said:

Thanks for the post and explaining about increasing Exotic Matter and generating antigravity.

But I'm still having trouble doing a simple warp activation.  Even with plenty of power and Status Ready, I can't activate.

Sorry if I'm doing something dumb,

thanks!

warp2.png

mmm, weird it should have charged up to  4.395 Exotic Matter but you only have 4.07 Exotic matter. What you could do to compensate is overcharge by using the Exotic Matter Percentage slider to a value higher than 100%

Edited by FreeThinker

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

mmm, weird it should have charged up to  4.395 Exotic Matter but you only have 4.07 Exotic matter. What you could do to compensate is overcharge by using the Exotic Matter Percentage slider to a value higher than 100%

That worked!  Thanks!  Talk about overcharge, now I'm going at a easy comfortable 630c !  

Sorry I can't up-vote you, I don't see the option.

Edited by enewmen

23 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I think you first have to remove the symetric parts from symetry mode before it works, otherwise they wll want to be in the same mode as their siblings

I don't want them to be independent.. on my plane with the 4 engines, i want the action group to switch propellant on all 4, like it used to, and which it is currently incapable of, if there are more than 2 groups (of any size) of engines on the craft.

What's weird is that if I have 5, in 2 groups, with 4 in one group and a single engine by itself, the action group will switch the single engine, but not the group of 4.  I've double checked all the AG assignments, they're correct...

On 10/3/2019 at 6:05 AM, ss8913 said:

I don't want them to be independent.. on my plane with the 4 engines, i want the action group to switch propellant on all 4, like it used to, and which it is currently incapable of, if there are more than 2 groups (of any size) of engines on the craft.

What's weird is that if I have 5, in 2 groups, with 4 in one group and a single engine by itself, the action group will switch the single engine, but not the group of 4.  I've double checked all the AG assignments, they're correct...

The problem is caused by a feature that will make the sibling switch to the same propellant. I will make an option to disable this feature.

Edit: Wait, I think I can solve the problem by differientating between context menu switching and action group switching, they currently do the same which appenently leads to problems with action groups. The goal was to make switching for mirrowed engines easier without the use of action groups.

Edited by FreeThinker

@zit Welcome to the KSP Forum. The Basics of KSPIE are not that hard. There Are several tutorial videos that will explain the basics which can be found at

All vessels that want to use the warp drive need at least 5 things

1: A power Source that generates energy (Thermal, Plasma or Charged),

2: A power Electric Power Generator to convert the Raw power into Electric Power (which must be conneted directly to the power source)

3: Sufficient amount of Radiators and Alcubiere warp drive (the amount depend of the efficiency of the reactor and power generators).

Notice there are several reactors with an integrated Electric Power Generator (meaning you don't need an addition).

A usefull example would one be Antimatter Plasma Power Reacor (Looks like an antimatter warp core) which is capable of producing very high amount of electric power an can potential be conneted with a plasma nozzle for HIgh amount of propulsion in vacuum.

If you need to travel long distance (light years), you also need additional Reactor Fuel tanks

Edited by FreeThinker

Hello everyone,

I'm currently experiencing a bug related to KSP Interstellar Extended:

Whenever I add KSP Interstellar (Either via CKAN or Manually) all my solar panels are no longer producing electricity, but actually take away electric charge. It seems to completly flip consumers and producers. The list of my mods is rather long, but this bug only happens as soon as I install KSP Interstellar Extended.

I was unable to find any other description oif this bug.

Cheers

14 minutes ago, Herr_KaLeun said:

Hello everyone,

Whenever I add KSP Interstellar (Either via CKAN or Manually) all my solar panels are no longer producing electricity, but actually take away electric charge. It seems to completly flip consumers and producers. The list of my mods is rather long, but this bug only happens as soon as I install KSP Interstellar Extended.

Cheers

We need to figure out what mod is causing this. Could you do the following. Create a seperate KSP installation and only install KSPIE and verify. After That incremental copy  mods from your full install to the fresh install and  check if solar panels still function untill thery break down.

On 10/4/2019 at 2:41 PM, Herr_KaLeun said:

Hello everyone,

Cheers

Same problem here in a heavy modded installation. 

On 10/4/2019 at 2:57 PM, FreeThinker said:

We need to figure out what mod is causing this. Could you do the following. Create a seperate KSP installation and only install KSPIE and verify. After That incremental copy  mods from your full install to the fresh install and  check if solar panels still function untill thery break down.

As far as I can tell you at this point is, that if you install any folders of KIE except the Warpplugin, everything "works", the problem starts if you add the Warpplugin. The solar panels then drain the exact amount of energy as they should produce.

I will come back if I figured out the minimal installtion when this happens and will provide logs too.

Hi all!

Ok, I pinpointed the problem.

First to make sure I waste nobodys time, this is my "ambitious" installation and I'm not sure this is supported somehow:

KSP 1.7.3
KSPIE 1.23.1 for KSP 1.7.3
IFS 3.11.0 for KSP 1.7.3
Real Solar System v16.2 
Realism Overhaul v12.7.2 for KSP 1.6.1

As soon as  RO is installed, consumers and producers are flipped, as @Herr_KaLeun stated.

Here are the module manager outputs and the KSP.log https://www.file-upload.net/download-13741786/ModuleMagangerLog.zip.html

Thank you!

Kind regards
PatSch

Edited by ThePatsch78

@FreeThinker

I am beginning to think something goes wrong with the kspie universal joints for docking. I have one craft that has a configuration almost identical to the other, the one with the uni ports flys apart with autostrut errors, the other does not. I managed to get the minmus orbital lab separated, turned off all non-landing gear heavy part autostruting and it still breaks apart. I suspect they may do this with any craft with landing gear.

Update: Managed to undock and save half the craft.. but the other plane still detonating.. Now very doubltful it's the docking port. Almost certain it is the autostrutting after turning on the debug auto-strut overlay. Sadly, no way to change the landing gear autostrut or the part autostruts in time warp.. and the land gear I don't believe can be changed from heaveiest at all during flight.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

2 hours ago, Herr_KaLeun said:

So it is Realism Overhaul and KSPIE that don't get along. @FreeThinker 

Would you be able to create a patch for this?

In the meantime removing the warpplugin would work as a botch(if @ThePatsch78 is right about that) , but this obviously is no solution.

The problem is caused because Relaism overhoal changes flowrate into watts instead of kilowatt

I fixed it using a genric solution in KSPIE 1.23.7 which can be downloaded from here

6 hours ago, Pxtseryu said:

Been messing around with this for a while and it's really fun. Looking forward to see if it makes it into KSP 2 or not.

It will be a masterpiece that can only be compared with the inventions of a real warp engine.

Edited by OOM

On first glance the power output of your antimatter reactor seams off. If it's only giving you 110 MW of power when it is at the 1.875m scaling (approximated since it says your reactor mass is about 11 tonnes) then you aren't getting the appropriate amount of power to begin with. Maybe add more radiators? Or perhaps a mod is conflicting with the power output of your reactor? You should be in the gigawatt range on that thing:

3EACCD4E3A4413B73ECC52D2AE586A89C049356F

While I'm not familiar with Near Future mod stuffs, I think they might change some configs of interstellar parts to balance them against that mod?

Edited by jhook777
read the above post after my coffee and pulled my foot from my mouth

15 minutes ago, jhook777 said:

On first glance the power output of your antimatter reactor seams off. If it's only giving you 110 MW of power when it is at the 1.875m scaling (approximated since it says your reactor mass is about 11 tonnes) then you aren't getting the appropriate amount of power to begin with. Maybe add more radiators? Or perhaps a mod is conflicting with the power output of your reactor? You should be in the gigawatt range on that thing:

3EACCD4E3A4413B73ECC52D2AE586A89C049356F

While I'm not familiar with Near Future mod stuffs, I think they might change some configs of interstellar parts to balance them against that mod?

This is intended. When NFE is installed, power is reduced to 1/100. But don't wory, so are almost all electric devices just like in stock. For instance, the Dawn Ion Engine would realiticly require 500 times the power to the generate the thrust is does.

Edited by FreeThinker

There's an IXS crew part and the warp rings, but can't really find the rest of the IXS parts.

Had to install a new version of TweakScale after it failed "sanity checks".

Another (stupid) question, do I have to launch everything into space with big bulky stock rocket parts, or can I use plasma/hydrogen/warp/something else to get off the ground?

Edited by zit

8 hours ago, zit said:

There's an IXS crew part and the warp rings, but can't really find the rest of the IXS parts.

Had to install a new version of TweakScale after it failed "sanity checks".

Another (stupid) question, do I have to launch everything into space with big bulky stock rocket parts, or can I use plasma/hydrogen/warp/something else to get off the ground?

Who needs rocket when you got a Alcubiere warp drive? If sufficiently powered, the Warp rings will just float away from the surface when fully powered up.

Edited by FreeThinker

@zit: [shameless plug] Hi! welcome to the forums. If you search jhook777 on youtube you will find a handful of tutorials I've made that come close to being useful. I'm not the best (at ksp, kspie or youtube) but if you set playback to 2X speed on the longer vids you'll be warping in no time! Check out the ones with 'antigravity' in their title to see the warp rings doing their antigrav magic. Next video was going to cover ablative nozzles but I can put that off and do specifically getting to orbit with the warp rings if it would help you. Cheers and have fun!

PS: I also like using the IXS crew module! Sadly the other parts of that mod don't seem to work anymore (?) but with the module and this [interstellar extended] mod you can still reconstruct it (or improve on it!) with fairly decent fidelity.

Edited by jhook777
added post script