KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

converted into  to celsius 19726,85 °C but it is the limits  of physical shield 

but with an electromagnetic shield that uses cold gases like helium it can tolerate much higher temperatures so at 20,000k it's not melted.

but the downside of it is use lot of electrical charge like 500 per/ second and use 20 unit of helium per/second to stay active and cold

nice idea?

On 1/3/2020 at 3:31 AM, jhook777 said:

@pmborgI'm pretty sure 'Ocean Extraction' works for that as long as your universal drill is submerged and pulling in 'intake liquid' which is a resource the drill itself will carry in small quantities. About enough for the ISRU to extract goods from it much like regolith processing. I know the All-in-One ISRU does ocean extraction, I'll have to check to see which dedicated units also do ocean extracion.

By submerged I mean just the end of the drill under the surface. Don't have to dunk the whole thing.

On 1/3/2020 at 8:48 AM, FreeThinker said:

@pmborg  Yes, KSPIE Seawater Extractor is very similar in functionality to Atmosphere extractor in that it converts the main medium (in this case IntakeLqd) and converts it into everything that is present in that local sea (which includes Deuterium).

The Universal Drill indeed contains an IntakeLqd pump, which  need to be partially submerged to function. Alternatively you can use Atmospheric intakes to directly convert the seawater into resources

23 hours ago, pmborg said:

Hello @jhook777 and @FreeThinker,

Thanks for your replies.

I will test it later on, when online again, thanks for the hints! :)

I am still not sure, if we are talking exattly about the same thing, i.e. Deuterium don't need to be available as direct resource, because he is part of all water in cosmos including in our little earth, in that proportion that I mentioned at least for water.

Hello,

Like I said before without this ISRU, I can't achieve the full autonomy in-terms of colony in the space-airplane.

axb19lH.png

Ca5yGsB.png

Once I activate the ISRU stock update (that I mention in previous post) like I said before, which only replicates the reality by the way, like mentioned here for example:

https://www.iter.org/sci/FusionFuels

The epic colony of 100% regeneration resources, can be achieved on this space-airplane.

@pmborg Perhaps try out the liquid chromatograph science part. It will give you a % distribution of elements and molecules present in a body of water. You'll notice if Deuterium distribution amongst Laythe and Kerbin is in line with expectations using that part. Additionally the gas chromatograph will confirm expected distribution in atmospheres of Kerbin, Duna, Laythe, Jool, and Eve. I can't speak to planets added by mods but the few I've downloaded and tested in 1.7.3 (not extensively) are a bit mixed. Some have absurd amounts. Some are missing it entirely. As for stock planets I feel it should be about right but I'm no expert. Perhaps that should be my next video. Taking ocean samples from the three stock oceans....hmmm....

Rockin spaceplane, by the way!

Edited by jhook777

17 hours ago, jhook777 said:

@pmborg Perhaps try out the liquid chromatograph science part. It will give you a % distribution of elements and molecules present in a body of water. You'll notice if Deuterium distribution amongst Laythe and Kerbin is in line with expectations using that part. Additionally the gas chromatograph will confirm expected distribution in atmospheres of Kerbin, Duna, Laythe, Jool, and Eve. I can't speak to planets added by mods but the few I've downloaded and tested in 1.7.3 (not extensively) are a bit mixed. Some have absurd amounts. Some are missing it entirely. As for stock planets I feel it should be about right but I'm no expert. Perhaps that should be my next video. Taking ocean samples from the three stock oceans....hmmm....

Rockin spaceplane, by the way!

Hello   @jhook777

Actually this space plane is equipped with several stuff about resources detection:

• Detection of resources in orbit
  • Detection of SCAN resources, height-map and POIs
  • Detection of the land resources
  • Detection of oceanic resources
  • Detection of atmosphere resources

And ofc all the equipment to extract all types of resources from all sources, atmosphere, terrain and ocean.

I understand that Deuterium is distributed as a resource in those plannets but by default I added to ISRU modules:

For water as source for Deuterium, just to be sure that will replicate was is the link that I mentioned as a regular Deuterium among water.

"Rockin spaceplane, by the way!"

I like this spaceplane because is, some reasons are:

• a rocket
  • do a VSTOL takeoff or land
  • or a normal takeoff or land as a normal plane
  • a inter-solar ship
  • a lander
  • a low orbit vehicle
  • a colony (auto-sustainable)
  • a factory, can "produce/construct" anything in a remote plane
  • auto-resource and also freeze them if needed.
  • Until now can do any challenge even land on "Duna" or "Mars" or "EVE" with some extra 10 tons of extras specially for EVE.

Was develop to be inside the hangar of my interstellar ships, and allow the colones, to colony the planet at the target star, in a very wide environments, even in planets without water...

And don't have the problem of normal airplanes or rockets that don't attach to surface :) i.e. have a parking/block system

7cORAjY.png

Edited by pmborg

15 hours ago, kokospl said:

I'm asking because the ingame description for Termal Turbojet has LF listed as a fuel.

Where does it say that? That description is obsolete.  Use HTP  instead

18 hours ago, Sahadara said:

I noticed there are upgrades for the Daedalus engine available in the tech tree before the engine itself is available. Is this intended?

Yes it is intended. It means you need more that the tech to unlock it to use it full potential

Edited by FreeThinker

On 1/6/2020 at 1:59 PM, pmborg said:

For water as source for Deuterium, just to be sure that will replicate was is the link that I mentioned as a regular Deuterium among water.

I did read the article and found it interesting, for sure. Thing is it uses a general statistic that doesn't actually represent deuterium distribution [variances] in the universe. On earth we get an average of 33 grams of Dt per cubic meter of sea water, or about 156 atoms of Dt per million of H. Distribution in nature, ie all the Dt in nature formed from the big bang, is about 26 atoms per million. Much much less. Studies of comets show a similar ratio of Dt to H as in Earth's oceans, giving confidence to the fairly well established theory that our oceans came from comets. Jupiter, on the other hand, has a ratio that is in line with the norm of 26 atoms per million, not very comet like but very universe like. Then there are observations of gas clouds that contain between 5, 15 and 25 ppm depending on factors such as nearby novae and such that would have scattered/vaporized/frozen the Dt making it undetectable by spectral analysis. "The deuterium/protium ratio of the comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, as measured by the Rosetta space probe, is about three times that of earth water. This figure is the highest yet measured in a comet.[6]" -wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuterium

Ok, long winded, I'll get to the point.  It is not reasonable to expect every ocean in the universe to have the same Dt ratio as oceans of Earth as those ratios are not even a constant on Earth or Earth's neighbors. 

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Standard_Mean_Ocean_Water

The chromatograph science part(s) included with kspie do an admirable job of modeling this in game, in my opinion. I'm not saying don't do what you are doing. You get points, in my book, just for tinkering and making the change and the modules. Kudo's! I just wouldn't want someone that hasn't tried the included part(s) out to think that they don't work as expected.

2 hours ago, jhook777 said:

I did read the article and found it interesting, for sure. Thing is it uses a general statistic that doesn't actually represent deuterium distribution [variances] in the universe. On earth we get an average of 33 grams of Dt per cubic meter of sea water, or about 156 atoms of Dt per million of H. Distribution in nature, ie all the Dt in nature formed from the big bang, is about 26 atoms per million. Much much less. Studies of comets show a similar ratio of Dt to H as in Earth's oceans, giving confidence to the fairly well established theory that our oceans came from comets. Jupiter, on the other hand, has a ratio that is in line with the norm of 26 atoms per million, not very comet like but very universe like. Then there are observations of gas clouds that contain between 5, 15 and 25 ppm depending on factors such as nearby novae and such that would have scattered/vaporized/frozen the Dt making it undetectable by spectral analysis. "The deuterium/protium ratio of the comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, as measured by the Rosetta space probe, is about three times that of earth water. This figure is the highest yet measured in a comet.[6]" -wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuterium

Ok, long winded, I'll get to the point.  It is not reasonable to expect every ocean in the universe to have the same Dt ratio as oceans of Earth as those ratios are not even a constant on Earth or Earth's neighbors. 

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Standard_Mean_Ocean_Water

The chromatograph science part(s) included with kspie do an admirable job of modeling this in game, in my opinion. I'm not saying don't do what you are doing. You get points, in my book, just for tinkering and making the change and the modules. Kudo's! I just wouldn't want someone that hasn't tried the included part(s) out to think that they don't work as expected.

"Ok, long winded, I'll get to the point.  It is not reasonable to expect every ocean in the universe to have the same Dt ratio as oceans of Earth as those ratios are not even a constant on Earth or Earth's neighbors. "

Yes true its everywhere, but with different densities:

• Primordial deuterium as old as Big Bang have concentrations are about 27 parts per million hydrogen atoms.
  • Far Ultraviolet Spectroscopic Explorer (FUSE) finds concentrations as high as 23 parts per million in our galaxy.

What no body knows yet for sure, is why there are so many of them in Earth Oceans, that is the key!

Please note that when you are drinking water, actually you are ingesting some molecules older then solar system, it self! :) its wonderful!

Always nice to watch: https://www.nasa.gov/mov/154620main_fuse_3.mov

Edited by pmborg

Hey @jhook777 and @FreeThinker

I have done small changes in previous model... remove the tri-alpha.

In the same flight...

Landing on Pluto: in a very big surprise the Kerbstein have done it even within thick atmosphere.

lpEBFBz.png

Then on EVE: with the help of these 2 big parachutes...

5nidDKL.png

Found a way to get out EVE without using any extra Hydrogen Balloons... for the first time with this vessel:

hDLUY18.png

landed normally as a regular airplane in KSC and parked:

jvELYCq.png

This updated version now also do rendezvous :)

6TXEbCu.png

Edited by pmborg

Overview

I believe there is a bug in KSPIE/WarpPlugin introduced by changes to CryoTanksFuelTankSwitcher.cfg in v1.25.2 and partially fixed in v1.25.4 that is affecting the CryoEngines / CryoTanks mod.

Symptoms

CryoTanks textures fail to render properly, see screenshot:

EzAdErN.jpg

Possibly related error messages in the log regarding B9PartSwitch and CryoTanks:

[Part]: PartModule indexing mismatch at hydrogen-125-2, index 0.
Node 'ModuleB9PartSwitch' found in loaded data, but 'TweakScale' is defined in prefab.
Looking for ModuleB9PartSwitch in other indices...

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

...ModuleB9PartSwitch module found at index 2.

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

[ERROR] [Part hydrogen-125-2] [ModuleB9PartSwitch 'fuelSwitch'] OnLoad was called with the wrong ModuleID and the correct module could not be found

[Part]: PartModule indexing mismatch at hydrogen-125-2, index 1.
Node 'TweakScale' found in loaded data, but 'USI_ModuleRecycleablePart' is defined in prefab.
Looking for TweakScale in other indices...

...TweakScale module found at index 0.

[Part]: PartModule indexing mismatch at hydrogen-125-2, index 2.
Node 'USI_ModuleRecycleablePart' found in loaded data, but 'ModuleB9PartSwitch' is defined in prefab.
Looking for USI_ModuleRecycleablePart in other indices...

...USI_ModuleRecycleablePart module found at index 1.

[Part]: PartModule indexing mismatch at hydrogen-125-2, index 3.
Node 'ModuleB9PartSwitch' found in loaded data, but 'ModuleCryoTank' is defined in prefab.

[Part]: PartModule indexing mismatch at hydrogen-125-2, index 4.
Node 'ModuleCryoTank' found in loaded data, but 'ModuleB9PartInfo' is defined in prefab.
Looking for ModuleCryoTank in other indices...

...ModuleCryoTank module found at index 3.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 5: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 6: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 7: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 8: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 9: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 10: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 11: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 12: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 13: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 14: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 15: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 16: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 17: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleB9PartInfo at hydrogen-125-2, index 18: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.
Looking for ModuleB9PartInfo in other indices...

...ModuleB9PartInfo module found at index 4.

[Part]: PartModule indexing mismatch at hydrogen-125-2, index 0.
Node 'ModuleB9PartSwitch' found in loaded data, but 'TweakScale' is defined in prefab.

[ERROR] [Part hydrogen-125-2] [ModuleB9PartSwitch 'fuelSwitch'] OnLoad was called with the wrong ModuleID and the correct module could not be found

[Part]: PartModule indexing mismatch at hydrogen-125-2, index 1.
Node 'TweakScale' found in loaded data, but 'USI_ModuleRecycleablePart' is defined in prefab.
Looking for TweakScale in other indices...

...TweakScale module found at index 0.

[Part]: PartModule indexing mismatch at hydrogen-125-2, index 2.
Node 'USI_ModuleRecycleablePart' found in loaded data, but 'ModuleB9PartSwitch' is defined in prefab.
Looking for USI_ModuleRecycleablePart in other indices...

...USI_ModuleRecycleablePart module found at index 1.

[Part]: PartModule indexing mismatch at hydrogen-125-2, index 3.
Node 'ModuleB9PartSwitch' found in loaded data, but 'ModuleCryoTank' is defined in prefab.

[Part]: PartModule indexing mismatch at hydrogen-125-2, index 4.
Node 'ModuleCryoTank' found in loaded data, but 'ModuleB9PartInfo' is defined in prefab.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 5: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 6: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 7: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 8: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 9: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 10: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 11: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 12: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 13: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 14: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 15: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 16: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleCryoTank at hydrogen-125-2, index 17: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleB9PartInfo at hydrogen-125-2, index 18: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.
Looking for ModuleB9PartInfo in other indices...

Root Cause

In the initial changes in 1.25.2 there were two different part node rules that contain the following deletion:

!MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch] {}

However in 1.25.4 only the first instance on line 25 was fixed with the following change:

!MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]:HAS[#moduleID[fuelSwitch]] {}

Solution

To fix the issue the second instance on line 171 must also have the HAS criteria added to the MODULE deletion.

After applying the fix and relaunching my game the textures now render properly and no errors related to B9PartSwitch and CryoTanks are observed in the log:

wmkAJD6.jpg

Howdy,

I just switched from KSP 1.7.3 to 1.8.1 and I'm no longer able to change the fuel types for the stock tanks; they're locked to LFO. Specifically I can't switch to liquid fuel for use with nuclear engines which is hobbling. I also have global construction and near future installed which might cause a conflict - is this a known issue? Is there something i'm missing? Thanks!

On 1/15/2020 at 7:18 PM, OldSedan said:

Howdy,

I just switched from KSP 1.7.3 to 1.8.1 and I'm no longer able to change the fuel types for the stock tanks; they're locked to LFO. Specifically I can't switch to liquid fuel for use with nuclear engines which is hobbling. I also have global construction and near future installed which might cause a conflict - is this a known issue? Is there something i'm missing? Thanks!

Sounds like you installed another resource switcher which took over IFS global resource switching script (which cancels itself whenever it detect another switch with global switch becomes active). I recommend to use IFS dedicated tanks, which never lose there switching ability.

Edited by FreeThinker

Could you add in the next update fuel tanks with deuterium \ helium-3 in the required proportions for Daedalus? It’s just very inconvenient to calculate how much helium-3 and deuterium you need to take to create Fusion granules. We need a ready-made kit, for example, with TWO-COMPONENT  ... So much I need 81% of Deuterium and 19% of Helium-3.

Of course, there are already ready-made Fusion granules. But I would like to create them from deuterium and helium-3 

Edited by OOM

This mod is super exciting. Thank you for all the work!

What's the design intention for mid to late game probe and lander propulsion? The candle nuclear engine is nice but I'm looking down the tech tree and don't see many options for small craft. Is the idea to tweakscale things down to 0.625m? 

12 hours ago, OldSedan said:

This mod is super exciting. Thank you for all the work!

What's the design intention for mid to late game probe and lander propulsion? The candle nuclear engine is nice but I'm looking down the tech tree and don't see many options for small craft. Is the idea to tweakscale things down to 0.625m? 

Its true that in general you need a large vessel for the high deltaV mission but you could also use a totaly different route using beamed beamed power.

The most extreme version would be to use use PhotonSail, which when small enough can send you to the stars at a decent percentage of the speed of light

Alternatively you could build Solar/Beamed electric propulsion, ehich would have a huge power to mass ratio using power transmitted from the surface of Kerbin.

Edited by FreeThinker

55 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Its true that in generat you need a large vessel for the high deltaV mission but you could also use a totaly different route using beamed beamed power.

The most extreme version would be to use use PhotonSail, which when small enough can send you to the stars at a decent percentage of the speed of light

Alternatively you could build Solar/Beamed electric propulsion, ehich would have a huge power to mass ratio using power transmitted from the surface of Kerbin.

Wow, that's bonkers! Is that propelled using a laser from a ground based installation?

So let's say I wanted to propel a small science lander for example at Duna. Would the smart move be to send out a large solar beamed power provider and use that to power a small craft with either an ion/plasma engine using beamed power converted to MW or a thermal nozzle with beamed power converted to heat energy? Does solar cut it or would I need reactors orbiting?

@pmborg Firstly, I really really like that spaceplane/starship. It's so cool. Secondly, I owe you an apology. It took me a while to get around to testing because of rl stuff but once I did I realized I was speaking from old knowledge. I went out to the ocean of Kerbin to scoop up some deuterium and ran into a surprise. There wasn't any.  I would have expected at least heavy water :/ oops. So yeah, my apologies for speaking before testing. Here's a screenshot!

371D1A2664E5A8565ABCA8DF02571C20B13CA3DE

@FreeThinker Maybe I'm losing my mind in my old age, but, I feel like harvesting Deuterium from the ocean was as easy as pumping intake through a processor. Did I miss something?

Edited by jhook777

I did notice the science laboratory still has the 'activate centrifuge' option. Which, if I recall correctly, is for separating out heavy water from water. Testing this right now.

edit:

Aha! I found it. Ok so the science lab turns water into Deuterium. about 43.5MW to get .94 Kg/hour. This requires the vessel containing the science lab to be splashed down. It seems to also work whether I have intake drills or atmospheric intakes open or closed so might be independent of intakes? But yeah, splash a science lab down in an ocean and click 'activate centrifuge' and it will produce Deuterium until the ocean runs out :D

50AA4F026BFA0F7F1E7DC99527198F53F498270E

Edited by jhook777

1 hour ago, jhook777 said:

@pmborg Firstly, I really really like that spaceplane/starship. It's so cool.

Hello @jhook777

The plane is in the other @FreeThinker thread about KSPIE Release Thread.

[1] Here and example of a simple and easy flight to Mun:

[2] The Airplane and howto to install it, if needed, is also on that thread.

--or--

https://kerbalx.com/pmborg/space2

Cheers!

Edited by pmborg