KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

4 hours ago, aaronsta1 said:

i noticed some are switchable only in the vab and some in flight.. is there a reason why i would want to switch them in flight?

Certainly, because there is an ideal wavelenth for a combination of wavelenth, distance, transmitter aperture and receiver aperture. To maximise efficiency you want to use the wavelength as long as possible where the spot size still fit inside the receiving vessel receiver

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, aaronsta1 said:

i dont know it could have been an outdated post on here.. i just checked the wiki from the github page and it doesnt really mention transmitter size at all.. maybe you can say.. i know the larger ones and output more power.. but do they also increase range? is there any reason to use one of those large dishes vs those 300 deg phased arrays at say 5m?

Have you looked at the KSPIE Beamed Power Wiki page?

4 hours ago, aaronsta1 said:

and also the gigantor xl solar panel.. it gets a beamed mode.. but what band and what type is it? it doesn't say. does it even work? i tried and got no results..

The Gigantor XL solar panel is a low tech beamed power receiver, effective in the solar photovoltaic spectrum, which is most intense in the short infrared spectrum but it stretches with decreased sensitivity from long infrared down to ultraviolet.

figure_4.9.png

There are also more specialized solar receivers with are more efficient and larger effective diameter.

Edited by FreeThinker

2 hours ago, aaronsta1 said:

is there any reason to use one of those large dishes vs those 300 deg phased arrays at say 5m?

Yes there are, the phased array can only transmit, receive and relay in one particular wavelength (configured in the VAB) and its wavelength is limited from microwave to infrared. Dishes are capable of transmitting and receiving in a wide bandwidth from microwave up to ultraviolet. When you have 2 Dishes you can also relay and transmit power at the same.

Dishes are therefore more versatile while phased arrays are specialized. Due to their lower mass and ease of folding, Phased arrays are easier to create local beam power networks for traffic inside the SOI of a planet. If you wish to transmit further, you need dishes that can transmit in visible and ultraviolet wavelength and for long distances (Juno or further) use X-ray transmitters.

Edited by FreeThinker

7 hours ago, mrgreco said:

• Kerbal Space Program
  • 17,288 Monthly Downloads
  • Supports: 1.3.1
  • 348,530 Total Downloads
  • Updated 2 days ago
  • Created Oct 8, 2015
  • 317 Favorites
  • Project Site
  • Comments
  • Release Type: Release
  • License: Custom License
  • Newest File: KSP Intersteller WarpPlugin 1.16.1                                                                                                         i dont understand this, it says its bin updated 2 days ago but nothin looks to be changed, am i missing somthing???????

They are referring to all files available, including the Betas that can be downloaded from the files section.

13 minutes ago, mrgreco said:

whats the diff between beta and the other?

It basically just a release but more experimental where I add new features or change the mechanics in a fundamental way which might not function as intended.  Player enthusiast that want to contribute or try the latest feature and hopefully report any new issues to me so I can fix them. After I get enough confidence nothing is broken I make a normal release which can be downloaded by regular players. As a result, I only release every few weeks while in the past I released more often and people complained and accused me of stuff that wasn't true.

Edited by FreeThinker

11 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

It basically just a release but more experimental where I add new features or change the mechanics in a fundamental way which might not function as intended.  Player enthusiast that want to contribute or try the latest feature and hopefully report any new issues to me so I can fix them. After I get enough confidence nothing is broken I make a normal release which can be downloaded by regular players. As a result, I only release every few weeks while in the past I released more often and people complained and accused me of stuff that wasn't true.

thank you

@FreeThinker regarding my LqdWater conversion issue... I've created a screenshot illustrating the problem - shows the configuration of my cryogenic tank and in the upper right you can see the conversion rate.  the other tank is full of "Water' whereas the KSPIE cryo tank starts off empty of LqdWater, with the conversion slider all the way towards LqdWater... it's painfully slow.  Am I doing something wrong?

B6pl3s6.jpg

1 hour ago, falcoon said:

All conversion by cyro tanks are super slow, not only water. I thought it works this way to enforce using ISRU :)

In general the performance on the cryo tank, cooling/heating it supposed to be low. It capality is only 10 kw (10000 W) You should use it as a backup, not as your primary means of cryo liquid conversion. For high-performance cryogenic conversion, use the ISRU Refrigerator which has a conversion capacity of 1 MW, which 100 times more powerful as the tank cooler

Edited by FreeThinker

18 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

In general the performance on the cryo tank, cooling/heating it supposed to be low. It capality is only 10 kw (10000 W) You should use it as a backup, not as your primary means of cryo liquid conversion. For high-performance cryogenic conversion, use the ISRU Refrigerator which has a conversion capacity of 1 MW, which 100 times more powerful as the tank cooler

but the ISRU refrigerator doesn't convert water.. only the cryo tanks do that, as far as I can tell... and it creates a bottleneck making hydrazine production unusable.  3000 units *per year* doesn't do anyone any favors :)

EDIT: Seems the part config files don't control these rates..was hoping to tweak it (for now) but it appears this isn't a thing that can be done without recompiling from source(?)

EDIT: tried using hydrates => lqdwater with the all-in-one ISRU hydrates processor too... also painfully slow, even with 4 of those things and powered by an antimatter reactor...

tagging @FreeThinker

Edited by ss8913

3 hours ago, danielboro said:

@FreeThinker
i wish to increase the rate stock radiators radiate wasteheat
wat numbers do i need to change to do this?
thanks

wily realism is nice its not my priority
building ships from radiators is not intrasting and increase the part count

You do not really need a lot of radiators for waste heat. Many(if not all) reactors can throttle and you only need to get rid of heat that is not consumed by anything like engine or electrical generator. Furthermore,  if you are playing in career then MK 1 radiators are terrible and you simply need to unlock better radiators.

If you do want to change radiators effectiveness there are two methods to do so:

1. Increase radiator max temp(RadiatorTemperatureMk*) in WarpPlugin\WarpPluginSettings.cfg This will increase max temperature for all radiators.
  2. Increase radiator area(radiatorArea in module FlatFNRadiator) in WarpPlugin\Parts\Radiators\*\*.cfg(or WarpPlugin\Patches\HeatManagement.cfg for stock radiators) This has to be done for every radiator.

@FreeThinker, do you have plans to replace waste heat with stock heat transfer mechanic?

Edited by Mine_Turtle

18 hours ago, Mine_Turtle said:

WarpPlugin\Patches\HeatManagement.cfg

didnt try that file

i did try kspstocktermal.cfg
in [foldingRadMed]
add a 0 to radiatorArea  and areaMultiplier  to get

radiatorArea = 240
areaMultiplier = 100

didnt see noticeable improvement
the folding med rad still radiates less then 1KW of wasteheat (starts at 0.0006 and gos up to 0.11 KW wen wasteheat is full)

ill dubel chak to see i didnt reinstall KSPI after i did the change

edit:i checked and the file are back to diffult, i must have updated right after editing :confused:

Edited by danielboro

3 hours ago, Iso-Polaris said:

Where do those atmosphere scoops go? I can't find them anywhere.

I can still find them in the WarpPlugin folder but nowhere in game

Any air intake now functions as an air intake, what you need is a way to split the atmosphere into chemical molecular resources, which can be achieved by cooling the atmosphere it down. This can be achieved with the ISRU refrigerator,  it will convert the local atmosphere into resources matching the percentage of a particular celestrial body.

Can anyone help me understand how the relay work.

screenshot23.png

I put my transmitter(power plant), Relay and Transiever like this, all function in long infrared wavelength,

My relay looks like this:

screenshot24.png

as you can see it is functioning in long infra wavelengt ,has direct sight  and close enough to the transmitter, and I clicked "link reciever for relay button"

however, I cannot pick up anything on transiever side, it said realys connected 0/0, depite the fact that it is facing the right direction

screenshot25.png

25 minutes ago, Iso-Polaris said:

Can anyone help me understand how the relay work.

screenshot23.png

I put my transmitter(power plant), Relay and Transiever like this, all function in long infrared wavelength,

My relay looks like this:

screenshot24.png

as you can see it is functioning in long infra wavelengt ,has direct sight  and close enough to the transmitter, and I clicked "link reciever for relay button"

however, I cannot pick up anything on transiever side, it said realys connected 0/0, depite the fact that it is facing the right direction

screenshot25.png

There are basically 3 methods of relay: indirect, direct and mirroring. Indirect relaying incurs a conversion penalty and requires one receiver to convert the beamed power into electric power and use another part to resend the power in the same or different wavelength as received back into the network. Direct relaying is lossless and requires 2 dishes, one configured for "linked for relay" and another in "relay" or "transmit" mode. Mirroring requires a single relay mirror which as the name implies directly reflect a beamed power signal into a different direction.

Edited by FreeThinker

13 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

There are basically 3 methods of relay: indirect, direct and mirroring. Indirect relaying incurs a conversion penalty and requires one receiver to convert the beamed power into electric power and use another part to resend the power in the same or different wavelength into the network. Direct relaying is lossless and requires 2 dishes, one configured for "linked for relay" and another in "relay" or "transmit" mode. Mirroring requires a single relay mirror which as the name implies directly reflect a beamed power signal into a different direction.

So if im using indirect relay. the reciever was point direct at the source from the begining. Will it lose power when the craft orbit to other places while unloaded?

I dont have persistent rotation installed so i dinna think the reciever will stay pointing at the source

Edited by Iso-Polaris