KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

Updated to 1.19.1.1, what happened to beam core accepting thermal engines?  Is that a permanent change or a bug?  Bang goes my micro antimatter spaceplanes and their 1m beam core powered ramjets :(

Also same issue as ss8913 - I wasnt paying too much attention but actually forgot to switch fuel at 24k as I usually do.  Was very surprised to find I was on a kerbol orbital trajectory at 70km.....  That being said, I also dont have a heat spike when first powering on the thermal engines - this was a major issue and pretty much killed my thermal craft previously so that bug has been fixed.

Edited by jimmychoosshoes

2 hours ago, ss8913 said:

@FreeThinker all of my previous issues are fixed in this release, however there seems to be a problem with the thermal ramjet nozzle now - it keeps increasing in power as speed and altitude increases, until you get to 70km and it instantly hits 0 thrust... isn't it supposed to drop off in power as the atmosphere gets thinner?  It used to... now it just seems to keep getting faster and faster all the way to the edge of atmo.  The thermal *turbojet* doesn't do this, it retains the previous behavior.
I'm using the 'heavy ram intakes' with a 1.6 intakeAir rating... 2 of them tweakscaled to 200% ... same as per usual for my stuff, but.. figured I'd report this.

now that you mention it,  starting from KS 1.4, I remember noticing engine cut off at 70000 meter and then choke which was odd but I didn't pay attention to it. I suspect this is new behaviour, probably to fix some issue in stock KSP but for KSPIE it is actually decremental. I will need to look into it.

16 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

now that you mention it,  starting from KS 1.4, I remember noticing engine cut off at 70000 meter and then choke which was odd but I didn't pay attention to it. I suspect this is new behaviour, probably to fix some issue in stock KSP but for KSPIE it is actually decremental. I will need to look into it.

the weird thing is it's only the ramjets that do it.  the turbojets still run out of air as you'd expect, at altitude.

3 hours ago, EndTraveler said:

quick question: how can i cool with radiators a quantum singularity AND an antimatter reactor on my ship?

depends on how much draw you're pulling from them.  At max draw... you're going to need a LOT of radiators.  If you want to do that while keeping your part count low, look into the B9 HX parts.  They're enormous, so you can put a lot of radiators on them.  And you  have access to KSPIE engines, so building a 35,000t SSTO isn't out of the question :)

7 hours ago, ss8913 said:

depends on how much draw you're pulling from them.  At max draw... you're going to need a LOT of radiators.  If you want to do that while keeping your part count low, look into the B9 HX parts.  They're enormous, so you can put a lot of radiators on them.  And you  have access to KSPIE engines, so building a 35,000t SSTO isn't out of the question :)

okay but my ship looks like a nuclear warhead and I can just offset since i am using procedural parts :sticktongue:

Edited by EndTraveler

I seem to be having a problem with radiators. They seem to be no where near effective enough to realistically use reactors, and their performance is not matching up with what the stats say on the part info. I'm looking at parts that say they provide tens or hundred of MW of cooling, but when attached the Thermal Helper only reports a couple MW at best. I have a completely new and clean install. I reinstalled KSP to be sure and only installed Interstellar and the dependencies as described in the post.  I'm at a loss here because I don't know what I could have done wrong. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

37 minutes ago, Sahadara said:

I seem to be having a problem with radiators. They seem to be no where near effective enough to realistically use reactors, and their performance is not matching up with what the stats say on the part info. I'm looking at parts that say they provide tens or hundred of MW of cooling, but when attached the Thermal Helper only reports a couple MW at best. I have a completely new and clean install. I reinstalled KSP to be sure and only installed Interstellar and the dependencies as described in the post.  I'm at a loss here because I don't know what I could have done wrong. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Some of the radiators, ie the smaller ones, are only appropriate for the earlier-tech reactors.  If you're using the end-game reactors like the QSR or the plasma beam core antimatter, you need to use the end-game reactors: the folding rectangular ones or the large winged edge radiators, or the umbrella radiators.  All of which can, and probably need to be, tweakscaled up.  Your ship may end up looking like a porcupine, with all the radiators deployed, especially if you're using non-thermal propulsion.

3 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

Some of the radiators, ie the smaller ones, are only appropriate for the earlier-tech reactors.  If you're using the end-game reactors like the QSR or the plasma beam core antimatter, you need to use the end-game reactors: the folding rectangular ones or the large winged edge radiators, or the umbrella radiators.  All of which can, and probably need to be, tweakscaled up.  Your ship may end up looking like a porcupine, with all the radiators deployed, especially if you're using non-thermal propulsion.

I wasn't using end game reactors. I was testing with the earliest ones available, and I was using the early radiators. The thing that's so odd is that the numbers the thermal management window give me do not even remotely match up with what the stats on the part are as listed in the part window.

1 hour ago, Sahadara said:

I wasn't using end game reactors. I was testing with the earliest ones available, and I was using the early radiators. The thing that's so odd is that the numbers the thermal management window give me do not even remotely match up with what the stats on the part are as listed in the part window.

Odd.  In general I find that the thermal window is a bit .. aggressive.  Most of my ships show red on the numbers in that window, and it still works OK.  Are you using thermal propulsion or electric?  Which specific reactors, generators, and engines?

15 hours ago, ss8913 said:

Odd.  In general I find that the thermal window is a bit .. aggressive.  Most of my ships show red on the numbers in that window, and it still works OK.  Are you using thermal propulsion or electric?  Which specific reactors, generators, and engines?

It seems this might be the case as well for me... Do you know if it's intended? If so then I'm not sure how we're supposed to use the helper, I remember in the past it being very possible with a reasonable number of radiators to get the numbers in the green. Now it seems very difficult, though it appears the craft can still perform even when in the red. How are we supposed to read the helper, how do we use it effectively.

Also, I'm a bit confused as to whether the helper is telling us about the stock heat that parts produce or the waste heat. It appears we have to deal with both of them and I'm not sure which one the thermal helper is trying to help with. Thanks anyone for any help.

Edited by Sahadara

17 hours ago, Sahadara said:

Do you have any of the near future mods installed?  If you have certain near future mods installed it lowers kspie to be on par with near futures power levels.  I guess their working on in the future instead near future will get cranked up too kspie levels.

20 minutes ago, Temeriki said:

Do you have any of the near future mods installed?  If you have certain near future mods installed it lowers kspie to be on par with near futures power levels.  I guess their working on in the future instead near future will get cranked up too kspie levels.

I do have Heat Control installed, which is by Nertea but I'm not sure if it counts as a Near Future mod. Also, I tested without Heat Control installed and nothing changed. 

41 minutes ago, Iso-Polaris said:

I was forced to install Real Plume cause of RF, but KSPI-E original plume seems to be replaced as well

Is there a way to preserve KSPI-E original when Real Plume is installed?

speaking of plumes... @FreeThinker ever since KSP 1.4.0 came out, the plumes for the ResistoJet RCS are .. reversed.  the plumes will even blow back into the ship (visually) although functionally they're ok.  Is this an artifact of some other module like RCSFX or is this something that's on the list for KSPIE?

Version 1.9.2 for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.3 can be downloaded from here

Released on 2018-05-19

• Added full 360 RCS coverage to Mach Effect engine (credits go to SpaceMouse)
  • Added long static Graphene radiator
  • Added more Chinese localization (credits Yobo Wang)
  • Added timewarp trust to Nuclear Lightbulb
  • Added antiprotons to product of QSR reaction
  • Added gee-force warnings to Antihydrogen container
  • Balance Improved mass scaling Radial Cryogenic Liquid Fuel Tank
  • Balance AntiHydrogen container will not be affected by gravity during pre launch
  • Balance Improve Mass scaling radiators
  • Fixed exhaust effect to plasma Nozzle
  • Fixed thrust of Nuclear Lightbulb in NF-E mode
Edited by FreeThinker

So i dont know if i cn put this here if not tell me please. But im looking everywhere ingame for atmosphere scoops but cant find them anywhere. Im using ksp 1.4.2 looked online aswell for a answer and ingame everywhere but still havend found them. 

Thanks in advance guys

41 minutes ago, overlordmas said:

So i dont know if i cn put this here if not tell me please. But im looking everywhere ingame for atmosphere scoops but cant find them anywhere. Im using ksp 1.4.2 looked online aswell for a answer and ingame everywhere but still havend found them. 

Thanks in advance guys

I had this experience too, but it seems you need a refrigerator (or all-in-one) and no scoops now.  The Wiki is out of date.  I also read somewhere that you could scoop from just outside the atmosphere, but this doesn't seem to be the case from what I was able to test.

1 hour ago, mbaryu said:

I had this experience too, but it seems you need a refrigerator (or all-in-one) and no scoops now.  The Wiki is out of date.  I also read somewhere that you could scoop from just outside the atmosphere, but this doesn't seem to be the case from what I was able to test.

So no scoops just a refigerator? And that works as a scoop then i guese

5 hours ago, mbaryu said:

You need a refrigerator and regular air intake(s).

Also the "Atmospheric Extraction" process stops working the moment you fly above 70K. Might be related to this problem with air-breathing engines:

On 5/11/2018 at 11:40 AM, FreeThinker said:

3 hours ago, samooo2 said:

You need a refrigerator and regular air intake(s).

Also the "Atmospheric Extraction" process stops working the moment you fly above 70K. Might be related to this problem with air-breathing engines:

Hmm, I didn't see any difference with or without air intakes.

13 hours ago, mbaryu said:

Hmm, I didn't see any difference with or without air intakes.

I did notice an odd interaction between the Engine Pre-cooler and the All-In-One IRSU (also IRSU is a typo I think?) / ISRU Processor / ISRU Processor Large.

If you build a craft with [ shock cone, pre-cooler, okto/whatever, IRSU All-in-one, battery ] the 'Toggle refinery window' button brings up a blank window.  If you remove the pre-cooler, the window is not blank.  This doesn't affect the refrigerator which makes me suspect that it may not be obeying some rule that the others are.

@FreeThinker I noticed that 1.19.2 hasn't updated on CKAN; I asked on the CKAN thread, and the maintainer said, just now: "That version was indexed as 1.9.2 because that's what the author entered on SpaceDock:" - seems like a typo in the spacedock metadata?

10 hours ago, ss8913 said:

@FreeThinker I noticed that 1.19.2 hasn't updated on CKAN; I asked on the CKAN thread, and the maintainer said, just now: "That version was indexed as 1.9.2 because that's what the author entered on SpaceDock:" - seems like a typo in the spacedock metadata?

Correct and fixed it, thanks for the heads up

Edited by FreeThinker