KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

11 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Where did you attemp to collect deurerium from the Ocean?

I figured it out. I was trying to use an isru unit at first but quickly found that the science laboratory extracts deuterium from an ocean using the 'start centrifuge' toggle. 

Had a request for another, more in depth, look at fusion propulsion so here is a peak into the research and development process employed by my brave Kerbals:

Long time not see :P

First I want to say that New UI of Propellant selection are really great to use, I really appreciate it :wink:

And that TEG come with Variable installed capacity also very useful for build light weight craft. But still look like has some minor bug like, when u reduce that capacity of generator to 20%, that reactor still been require as 100% power, and that rest of Heat Power beem turn in to Waste heat , that make those generator are not beem reduce  capacity but efficiency as -80%,

For example:Heat to MJ power efficiency with 20% capacity of TEG:

A Reactor that with Max 100MW  HeatPower, TEG current  efficiency in 50%,capacity 20%

ideal:   H×20% , 0.2H × 50%      Reactor run in 20MW to support 20% capacitygen to get 10MW power. Waste heat 10MW

current: H ×(50%×20%)                   Reactor run in 100MW to support 20% capacity gen to get 10MW power. Waste heat 90MW.

"H"as  Reactor power level.

Result in a lot of waste for energy and Over Heat Radiator......

5 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Alright, I think I fixed it

c0d1CdO.jpg

As you can see it now only produces 2.16 MW, equal to the maximum electric power of the generator which is configured at 1% (weighting only 0.179 t).

Wow that a really Quickly  Fix, how can u do that   :P

So quick that For Now we just made some free time to watch Space X Lunch there New Firewor..... Eh... The New test rocket that will gona Booooom (in plan)soon.:cool:

On the OP you suggest using scaled up systems for better balance with the incredibly powerful engines KSPIE gives us. If we go with a full 10x scale, what do you recommend for improving balance of stock parts? I don't believe KSPIE will work with RO will it? SMURFF does a good job of making rockets have better mass fractions but the engines are still underpowered. Any suggestions for something that will pair well with KSPIE?

Beam power tutorial from the exact point where beam power becomes possible in the [unkerballed start] tech tree. Long because a lot of folks have asked me not to skip over or fast forward through builds. So, I take my time and develop microwave launches from the ground (err ocean?) up. Take a look, feel free to question/comment/criticize. Part II coming as soon as I get better at low tech relays. Need to do more research.

@jhook777 Notice the most effective radiators in atmosphere and water, are the convector radiators (both inline and radial version are available), which have a lot of surface area inside radiator. The are ideal due to their compact size, and will fill up completely up with water when submerged which means  if you put them on the bottom of your vessel they will not contribute to buoyancy in any way and will actually help stabilize the vessel, keeping it upright.

Edited by FreeThinker

Is it possible that the Rutherford engine give way too much thrust than what they should, as in 1000 times more?

I tried using 4 tiny ones (0.3m) with hydrolox to land my 33-ton base on the mun. It said each one was 5.5kN, but when trying it on Kerbin, it felt like 5500kN.

When I limited the thrust to 1.5% it flew nicely (from Kerbin)

2 hours ago, Omeran said:

Is it possible that the Rutherford engine give way too much thrust than what they should, as in 1000 times more?

I tried using 4 tiny ones (0.3m) with hydrolox to land my 33-ton base on the mun. It said each one was 5.5kN, but when trying it on Kerbin, it felt like 5500kN.

When I limited the thrust to 1.5% it flew nicely (from Kerbin)

There indeed appears to go something wring when throtled

I will have it fixed next release

Edited by FreeThinker

Hello @FreeThinker

I am still tuning my record concord Mach 5.2 @30.000m, but now I am with a doubt.

"Missing Precooler Ratio" 0.8 is better than 0.7 or is other around?

As far as I know bigger number will give more heat, so that is bad :) , right do you confirm ?

Thx!

Edited by pmborg

50 minutes ago, pmborg said:

Hello @FreeThinker

I am still tuning my record concord Mach 5.2 @30.000m, but now I am with a doubt.

"Missing Precooler Ratio" 0.8 is better than 0.7 or is other around?

As far as I know bigger number will give more heat, so that is bad :) , right do you confirm ?

Thx!

It affect the atmosphere curve but there is a performance ceiling at lower altitude. Also if you run out of atmoshere, your engine will be throtled as well

Edited by FreeThinker

On 1/24/2020 at 7:22 AM, FreeThinker said:

@jhook777 Notice the most effective radiators in atmosphere and water, are the convector radiators (both inline and radial version are available), which have a lot of surface area inside radiator. The are ideal due to their compact size, and will fill up completely up with water when submerged which means  if you put them on the bottom of your vessel they will not contribute to buoyancy in any way and will actually help stabilize the vessel, keeping it upright.

Thank you so much. I ran some tests using that and yeah, going with convection radiators for ocean power stations from here on out, hands down!

Also, here is part II. All about basic relay use. Note these designs aren't meant to be copied but were chosen to illustrate functionality and be able to be seen on screen. A player's actual relays will/should vary.

i have no idea why sometimes youtube gives me a clear thumbnail and sometimes gives a very low res thumbnail. video is uploaded in hd :)

Edited by jhook777

So, I have a question

TL;DR: What happened to the old models and is it possible to get them back? Also, is there a calculator to tell you how many/big your radiators need to be for maximum efficiency?

I remember this mod from like 0.9 or earlier and I've been using it ever since. Back when I first discovered this mod there was an engine model I really liked that I can't seem to find anymore. Is there a way to include the old models with new configs, or as an option for new engines? I do remember it being the quantum vacuum drive, or the EM drive or something (It didn't require fuel, just electric charge) and while this engine is still in the mod, I don't like the model at all. Here's the engine in question:

L9f3MRl.png

And the Engine Assembly (3 parts: engine, generator, reactor)

[019fq6R.png

Edited by Taki117

On 2/2/2020 at 8:01 PM, Taki117 said:

Back when I first discovered this mod there was an engine model I really liked that I can't seem to find anymore. Is there a way to include the old models with new configs, or as an option for new engines? I do remember it being the quantum vacuum drive, or the EM drive or something (It didn't require fuel, just electric charge) and while this engine is still in the mod, I don't like the model at all. Here's the engine in question:

L9f3MRl.png

You appear to contradicting yourself. You claim to like it and at the same time not at all , so what it is?

If your looking for the above model, it can be found at WarpPlugin\Parts\Engines\MPD

Personally I don't like it and therefore replaced it with a better looking model for a Plasma Engine, the ELF, the Electrodeless Lorentz Force Plasma Engine, which technically the same as the original more technically accurate.

it should still work if you remove the TechHidden = True and replace TechRequired = hidden by TechRequired = advIonPropulsion

Hey this might be a basic question and I apologize if this is the wrong forum - but on my mac running 1.8.1 the mod fails to load the parts even post uninstall/reinstalling game and redownloading the mod. Says tweakscale failed on 9 parts or something like that. Can add log file if necessary. Any help is greatly appreciated!

1 hour ago, YuriiKerbgarin said:

Hey this might be a basic question and I apologize if this is the wrong forum - but on my mac running 1.8.1 the mod fails to load the parts even post uninstall/reinstalling game and redownloading the mod. Says tweakscale failed on 9 parts or something like that. Can add log file if necessary. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Tweakscale loading issues should be posted at

Coming back to KSP and Intersteller after a bit of a break, and nice to see so many upgrades. But I might be going to need to have some help on something.

I wanted to try an alternate tech progression where beamed power was introduced earlier in the tech tree, so I moved the Ablative Laser Nozzle and the Diode Laser Array down a few nodes. They are showing up fine, but I can't seem to get things to work properly. I'm getting all the menus and readouts from the parts, but even boosting a rocket with the nozzle up high in the air I'm not getting any fire at all.

To be clear, this is not a bug report -- I just need a little tutorial. I'm sure I'm doing something obviously wrong.

Oh, and I am going through all of Jhook777's great videos, but I don't think he uses the Ablative Laser Nozzle in any I have seen.

The guys over at Bluedog Design Bureau consider me a loony for even trying to mix these two mods, but I do, so here I am...

I found a particular & peculiar compatibility issue between KSPI & B-DB. As you may or may not know, B-DB has a bunch of tiny probe cores with very small amounts of EC storage, even going as low as 5 ec for the most basic ones. When combined with KSPI however, every probe core from B-DB that has LESS than 30 ec starts out with exactly none when proceeding to the launch pad. In the VAB everything shows as it should. However on the launch pad the EC storage is 0. And of course the probe is uncontrollable as a result.

Any probe with 30 or more ec was tested to work normally, strangely.

The problem resolved itself when I uninstalled KSPI and the Interstellar fuel switch, so it's due to something being done by KSPI. 

It's not a major issue that cannot be overcome, but I figured it may be a symptom of a larger issue behind the scenes and worth mentioning.

I think i found a bug. i am not entirely sure if a coupling between mods causing it or it's kspi itself but try this - run timberwind engine in atmos until it overheats. For me - everything disappears and in about 10 seconds game soft crashes with crash handler. 

https://mega.nz/#!5tFTzQQQ!ep6yHbMX6zv0Lp3FtSHYt7i9vOVskf-jSmOkUR22iL0 < ksp.log

https://mega.nz/#!QkdxhSIa!zdmUyPQsCst5KbbwqPdtNYEMFC71azHExVv4Un-4Bik < modlist from ckan (+seti greenhouse (wasn't present at the time of the bug on vessel) +my own patch for ISRU (ditto))

Update: Fuel is hydrazine. This doesn't happen when engine is strapped to the starting point, but does happen when vessel is in flight and temp goes to 3200k and over (40 km alt. and up). Checked on previous version - same error.

Edited by smoketh
Details update

32 minutes ago, dylsh said:

I would really like to use the WasteHeat radiators and heat management feature of this mod standalone with my playthrough. Is that something that is possible?

Yes it should work, though wasteheat only makes sence if you use any reactor or power receiver

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes it should work, though wasteheat only makes sence if you use any reactor or power receiver

Oh I guess that's my mistake. I was under the impression that wasteheat accumulated on any and all spacecraft, and therefor needed to be radiated.