KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

I just had a microwave receiver glitch out on one of my craft. I set up a relay network with a ground based power station using the X-band, and the craft sitting on the mun connected to the network for about 30 seconds before it glitched out and the receiver switched to Ka-band. Is it possible to manually fix this in the craft config file so I don't have to completely relaunch the mission over a glitch?

8 hours ago, nonono said:

I just had a microwave receiver glitch out on one of my craft. I set up a relay network with a ground based power station using the X-band, and the craft sitting on the mun connected to the network for about 30 seconds before it glitched out and the receiver switched to Ka-band. Is it possible to manually fix this in the craft config file so I don't have to completely relaunch the mission over a glitch?

Yes, in the cheat menu there is an option "NonStrictAttachmentOrientation" which will allow you to switch even after launch

On 5/19/2020 at 4:39 PM, FreeThinker said:

Don't use the Beam Core Antimatter reactor for this, rather use the Plasma Core Antimatter reactor which was designed for providing high amount of electric  power, the Beam Core Antimatter reactor was desinged to provide high amount of charged particles for magnetic propulsion.

I believe the antimatter thinggies are in a kind of "early tech" stuff, like a useful, mature, but as it started 1-2 decades ago, it still have a lot of potential (ok, engines like SAGE are quite hi-tech, but average). I still havent seen an AM torch, when is quite easier tha fusion, and we have 3 (4 if OPdalus, but too low thrust to me). There are only 3 reactors, and one is an engine half (Im looking at you, beam core). I think AM has a lot of unexploited potential, KSPIE jumps too fast into sigularity technobable and unrealistic FTLs, letting the previous tech incomplete, as if it was a compliment of this (I know it is, but c'mon).

Id love an extra layer in the tech tree with direct anihilation, aH generators/torches, a degenerate matter tank for ultra dense storage of both M and AM (and the neutronium I proposed earlier in a KSP2 thread). If its too much work or there is little info (is ABSOLUTELY scarce) I can help designig the drives/searching, Im making a hard, non FTL (quasi) K2 SciFi setting and have most the work done (but nothing reviewed).

Also would propose a way to fix the kuggerblz gen to known science, but only I can is make it planet-sized and then start...

11 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes, in the cheat menu there is an option "NonStrictAttachmentOrientation" which will allow you to switch even after launch

Thank you, there is now another issue. I'm only getting 100 Watts of received power from a power plant at Woomerang using a 3.75m stellerator maintained by a standard fission reactor transmitting using the large folding array composed of hexagons that I forget the name of. I have four relays using the microwave disco-ball set up at 400km orbit equidistance from each other. 

Power station was transmitting over a GW. Is this a bug, or just an issue with my setup? I'm aware of atmospheric absorption and attenuation of the beam, which is why I chose X-band (which is least affected, right?) 

9 hours ago, nonono said:

Thank you, there is now another issue. I'm only getting 100 Watts of received power from a power plant at Woomerang using a 3.75m stellerator maintained by a standard fission reactor transmitting using the large folding array composed of hexagons that I forget the name of. I have four relays using the microwave disco-ball set up at 400km orbit equidistance from each other. 

Power station was transmitting over a GW. Is this a bug, or just an issue with my setup? I'm aware of atmospheric absorption and attenuation of the beam, which is why I chose X-band (which is least affected, right?) 

Its your setup, microwave wavelength is only realy good for transfering beamed power though the atmospheres at short range or to maximize efficiency between a large ground station and a GEO Orbit power relay station. For Kerbin networks you need to transmit at least in infrared or use large relay station (double phased arrays)

Edited by FreeThinker

5 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Its your setup, microwave wavelength is only realy good for transfering beamed power though the atmospheres at short range or to maximize efficiency between a large ground station and a GEO Sunch power station. For Kerbin networks you need to transmot at least in infrared or use large relay station (double phased arrays)

Ok, thanks, I had gotten mixed up on what wavelength to use. I remember there being a chart that had some information on when to use what wavelength, though I haven't seen it in a very long while. Where is that located? 

3 minutes ago, nonono said:

Ok, thanks, I had gotten mixed up on what wavelength to use. I remember there being a chart that had some information on when to use what wavelength, though I haven't seen it in a very long while. Where is that located? 

Please chech out the first pages

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Please chech out the first pages

Is there any quick math or something th see the beam disperssion and the distance at which is effective? 

Its not really explained in the mod, and I dont thing the kerbal method (trial and explosion) is gonna help with so meany variables (3 to 4 wavelengths would do the trick perfectly,  Im not complaining, free options, but its complex and really difficult figure out.) There are loads of beam power tutorials, but no one says nothing detailed about wavelengths (only Ive seen that even mentions some info about that are @jhook777's, and say mostly the "shotrer wave, longer distance" basics).

32 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Got it, thaks :D

another thing I have to ask is the apparent hypergolicity between my ship and kerbals!

its really easy to reproduce, just every touch by a kerbal to a PV disk reciever at 1m/s, or randomly at less it instantly dissintegrates and the fragments bug inside the holes in the radiator/rotor (to simulate if was doing spin gravity). This makes them infinetly bend and for structural reasons I have auto struts+rigid joints. The structure fails inside itself and explodes, the top goes flying and the bottom is crushed by the explosion. The VAB says impact resistance=4m/s.

Im now in a tablet, but later Ill send a screenshot and mabe craft files if its a bug.

Also, the kerbal starts doing weird things like walking on the air, break his neck, pass trough the ground, hit and fall from the air, etc. I think the Kraken doesnt like it. One time trying to reproduce it, just teleprted to an asteroid as if was my ship... I was the rock

another thing is that the radiator and solar panel fragmets arent affected by gravity... 

Edited by AntaresMC

Hello! Does anyone have any tips for designing a craft to mine Deuterium and/or He3 from Jool? I could really use a craft like that for my current game, but I'm stumped on where to begin.

It seems that the "Timberwind" engine (and also the pebble bed reactor) now gives 5/6 of its total power as charged power. Is this the way it is supposed to be?

Edited by singlet
grammar

6 hours ago, singlet said:

It seems that the "Timberwind" engine (and also the pebble bed reactor) now gives 5/6 of its total power as charged power. Is this the way it is supposed to be?

What count is how the energy is used, as you can only use it for thermal propulsion or thermal power generators

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

What count is how the energy is used, as you can only use it for thermal propulsion or thermal power generators

It looks a bit confusing. Do you mean that the "thermal" nozzles & generators use the "charged" power, while the "charged" counterparts cannot use the "charged" power?

Edited by singlet

On 5/25/2020 at 3:15 AM, Rabada said:

Hello! Does anyone have any tips for designing a craft to mine Deuterium and/or He3 from Jool? I could really use a craft like that for my current game, but I'm stumped on where to begin.

From front to back, if you say your tech level I can give you ideas for the drive/power. D is easy pick on Laythe's oceans, just a water scoop, a lab, an electrolyzer and you are fine. But start with the base (@Jhook777 has good updated ISRU tutorials), then the propulsion

He3, well, I recommend going with a bit He3 (from Minmus/Mun) from start, a OCGCNTR (we need a nickname), NSW, should do the trick if not. Take athmo scoops. If have bouyancy mods better, if not, a skim through the athmo with fusion thermal ramjets (or better Z-pinch,  but they require He3) or even a base in Jool's "ocean" (there is a dense part where if you make a light/voluminous ship can float stock). For the return trip a capsule with mag nozzle, brachistochrone or along the lines or VASIMR.

Beamed power is your friend, make a good hard UV/soft X network and take 6 relay minisats with the main ship. 1 every moon, 2 between Jool and Laythe.

Edited by AntaresMC

46 minutes ago, singlet said:

It looks a bit confusing. Do you mean that the "thermal" nozzles & generators use the "charged" power, while the "charged" counterparts cannot use the "charged" power?

CP can be thermalyzed, heat cant be converted to work (TD suck, I know). Still weird that PB can give CP in the 1st place

Edited by AntaresMC

3 hours ago, AntaresMC said:

CP can be thermalyzed, heat cant be converted to work (TD suck, I know). Still weird that PB can give CP in the 1st place

The Fuel is shared between Peblebed and Fission Fragment Reactor

50 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

The Fuel is shared between Peblebed and Fission Fragment Reactor

But the mechanismis arent the same!!

In the pebble bed they are enchased in a CNHf alloy (at best), so all CP get thermalized before they get to the reactor itself! In the FFR (that mabe should be an engine, I cant see power gen usages for it... COUGH, AFFRE, COUGH) they are made dust or even gas to make CP scape...

Also, do I repost the degenerate stuff there? Im a bit lost ^_^

1 minute ago, AntaresMC said:

Also, do I repost the degenerate stuff there? Im a bit lost ^_^

No you can just create a seperate thread just as you proposed

2 minutes ago, AntaresMC said:

But the mechanismis arent the same!!

In the pebble bed they are enchased in a CNHf alloy (at best), so all CP get thermalized before they get to the reactor itself! In the FFR (that mabe should be an engine, I cant see power gen usages for it... COUGH, AFFRE, COUGH) they are made dust or even gas to make CP scape...

Yes I know, it more of a Technical Gui issue I haven't solved

8 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

No you can just create a seperate thread just as you proposed

Yes I know, it more of a Technical Gui issue I haven't solved

Still want AFFRE to exist and who uses the FFR to power? C'mon!

Also the lightbulb and liquid core would do much more if reactors, as they can be really versatille...

The thread is done, Degenerate thinggies for KSPIE (and mabe KSP2)

Edit: why does the pebble bed use UNx and not UrEn? It makes more sense since you dont need high temp fuel because if melts the CNHf still holds it

Edited by AntaresMC

wait... if i make the NERV solid core nuclear engine via extraplanetary launchpads, can i fuel it up with enriched uranium? it keeps saying that it cannot handle radioactive storage, which is kinda odd, or is it that you cannot transfer fuel in or out

edit: ok somethings off, a radioactive tank cant handle radioactive storage (IT IS ITS PURPOSE LOL)? that doesnt seem right, i let the nuclear processor cool off (its near future electrics)
also, i have kerbal atomics, which is most likely compatible

am i doing something wrong? i do have a few level 2 engineers
x4CYSrN.png

edit: apparently it works just fine transferring it to itself! but not to a nuclear fuel container attached to it somehow

Edited by JcoolTheShipbuilder

ok... im a derp... is a SOLID core, welp! im just going to launch a ginormous engine for the massive ship, and  make some edits to this one

double derp... turns out the KSPIE uranium processor automatically fills the engines... lol

Edited by JcoolTheShipbuilder

In honor of updating the Nuclear Gas Core Open Cycle Engine model, I put together a basic model of a spaceship with this engine.
In combination with a good specific impulse and thrust, I think it will be enough for faster flights to Duna \ Eve with a return to Kerbin.
It turned out this: :)
8fb95f47e573674342d6b9369480b75f.png 
Mass: 238 tons (150 tons of fuel)
Specific Impulse: 4949s
Thrust: 54 kN
Delta: ~ 47500 m / s
Engine thermal power: 1.3 GW
Electric power: 39 MW
Fuel Amount: 150 tons of liquid Hydrogen
Includes:
- A large supply of supplies for TAC LS
- Full autonomy (thanks to the supercomputer)
- Relative comfort for a crew of 6 people (total up to 12)
- The landing module is not designed to work with this ship to reduce weight. He must be
ready in advance in the orbit of the target planet
- Additional tank with U-233

Spoiler

7896c45df635ffa512f88ac433c68cf8.png
178325a25397a9e200d050eac87e2bd7.png
45a57fa6fc82ca4de645e54330456492.png

And today, the exhaust of the Open Cycle Gas Core Engine has been fixed. Now it is no longer like a rotten sausage littered with green bacteria, but a beautiful red-hot hydrogen plasma with radiation from the reactor :D
747ef078e4ed35d0eaac703af54d530f.png

Edited by OOM