KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

Hi, I have a small problem with this wonderful mod.

I had a break from KSP! and when I came back...I went from a reference install 1.3.1.1891 to a new install 1.4.3.2152. KSPIE versions are;  "MAJOR":1, "MINOR":17, "PATCH":4, "BUILD":0 and "MAJOR":1, "MINOR":19, "PATCH":2, "BUILD":0.

I found that I could not fly a space plane that I had imported. Flies fine in the old 1.3.1...but won't take off in 1.4.3... Well after some tracking down I found a lack of thrust from the DCNT's. Old was about 10.215MN, new is about 5.81MN. The DCNT's are in game scaled to max size 2.5m.

Taking a look inside many files I think I have located the issue. A missing upgrade. I have researched these nodes; improvedNuclearPropulsion, advNuclearPropulsion, specializedElectrics, experimentalElectrics. They appear as; Improved Nuclear Propulsion, High Efficiency Nuclear Propulsion, Specialized Electrics, Experimental Electrics in my Tech Tree.

When I look at the DCNT's in the SPH I see a nice display which I think is new? it gives me information for Mk1 and Mk2. I assume that I should be seeing information for Mk3 if the DCNT is fully upgraded?

Here are some files in case you need to view them; https://www.dropbox.com/s/5nyuqogjx6yj2fj/saves for KSPIE.1.rar?dl=0

Please let me know if you want/need any more information, I guess I would like to know if my belief is correct - I am missing an upgrade? and if there is anything I can do about it.

Thank you for your time.

On 6/17/2018 at 4:31 PM, mbaryu said:

Is it possible that the thermelectric generator is throwing things off?  I believe it changes its weight according to the heat source it is next to.

that seems to be at least part of the case, however for an 8GW inline thermal reciever, the additional mass(that is, mass which is added only when the TEG and heat source are touching) is like 10 tons. but when i used a target fusion reactor scaled to provide approximately 8GW thermal, the additional mass is significantly more. I just wish the mass addition was documented better if it is a feature because I really don't understand it.

on a completely unrelated note, @FreeThinker 

I hate to bug you about this particular issue again because I feel like I'm nagging the slow way and there is a much more effective github-y way of requesting small code fixes but I am still not entirely positive I know how to do such a process and my coding skills are pretty elementary. That being said... 

I'm 86% sure line 55 of "KSP-Interstellar-Extended/FNPlugin/Resources/MagneticFieldDefinitionsHandler.cs" should read:

.Select(m => new MagneticFieldDefinition(m.GetValue("celestialBodyName"), double.Parse(m.GetValue("strengthMult")))).ToList();

instead of how it currently reads: 

.Select(m => new MagneticFieldDefinition(m.GetValue("celestialBodyName"), double.Parse(m.GetValue("celestialBodyName")))).ToList();

I'm not completely sure that would work, all I know is that the magnetic field config you added a while back for gauss didn't change antimatter collection capabilities there, and this change seems like it makes sense to be the culprit. if that's not it, I'll try to keep learning more about c# and ksp api until I can figure it out, until then, happy hunting and thanks for being awesome!

Edited by Jumberlack
Typo

13 hours ago, Jumberlack said:

I'm 86% sure line 55 of "KSP-Interstellar-Extended/FNPlugin/Resources/MagneticFieldDefinitionsHandler.cs" should read:

.Select(m => new MagneticFieldDefinition(m.GetValue("celestialBodyName"), double.Parse(m.GetValue("strengthMult")))).ToList();

instead of how it currently reads: 

.Select(m => new MagneticFieldDefinition(m.GetValue("celestialBodyName"), double.Parse(m.GetValue("celestialBodyName")))).ToList();

That definitely looks right, thanks!

15 hours ago, Jumberlack said:

that seems to be at least part of the case, however for an 8GW inline thermal reciever, the additional mass(that is, mass which is added only when the TEG and heat source are touching) is like 10 tons. but when i used a target fusion reactor scaled to provide approximately 8GW thermal, the additional mass is significantly more. I just wish the mass addition was documented better if it is a feature because I really don't understand it

From a gameplay point of view, a Thermal Electric Generator is a modular reactor upgrade which mass properties depend on the reactor techlevel and power output of the reactor. The reason for this is for simplicity sake, otherwise, you would need a fixed separate thermal electric generator for every reactor type.  Notice the output of the generator can be tweaked to a lower setting than maximum output, which will reduce the mass of the generator at the cost of lower maximum output. I will add some text to the description of the generators, making this clear.  What I plan to do is to add information to the reactor part info which displays the max and min mass requirement when connected to a thermal electric generator.

Edited by FreeThinker

I do think I have found a problem with which upgrades are applied to the DCNT.

Whilst in the SPH TORY shows info for MK3 Thermal Nozzle Performance, but DCNT only goes as far as Mk2. They both have the same node requirements for their upgrades do they not?

23 minutes ago, Apaseall said:

I do think I have found a problem with which upgrades are applied to the DCNT.

Whilst in the SPH TORY shows info for MK3 Thermal Nozzle Performance, but DCNT only goes as far as Mk2. They both have the same node requirements for their upgrades do they not?

No, the TORY Nuclear Ramjet Engine is unlocked with nuclearPropulsion and upgraded (to Mk2 and Mk3) with  improvedNuclearPropulsion and advNuclearPropulsion

Edited by FreeThinker

@FreeThinker Thank you for your post.

Sorry. To be clear, I think I should ask these questions;

1. Can both DCNT and TORY be upgraded, in terms of their thrust output, to Mk3 versions of themselves?

2. Having researched the node advNuclearPropulsion, seen in the techTree as High Energy Nuclear Power if using CTT, both DCNT and TORY should be at Mk3?

3. There was no planned reduction in DCNT thrust between KSPIE versions 1.17.4 and 1.19.2?

4. Is MODULE{ThermalNozzleController} the place where thrust is determined?

5. Examining the entries for KspiNuclearJetEngine in my ModuleManager.ConfigCache for KSP 1.3.1 and 1.4.3 I see that powerTrustMultiplier went from 475 to 95 in MODULE{ThermalNozzleController}. Is that what should be expected?

6. Like wise powerTrustMultiplierJet went from 500 to 100. Is this linked to the 475/95=5 seen for powerTrustMultiplier?

7. I obtained the values for thrust from MechJeb, should I expect MechJeb to report the same thrust values between KSP 1.3.1 and 1.4.3 or are you aware of any changes in how DCNT thrust values might be reported differently by MechJeb?

I hope answers to these questions will help me understand if there is a problem at all or if there is one, if it is just my end or something in KSPIE.

Edited by Apaseall

Additional.

There appears to be issues regarding naming.

TORY ->

Spoiler

cfg folder name is NuclearRamJet,
file name is NuclearRamJet2,
part name is KspiNuclearRamjet,
model foler name is NuclearRamJet,
localization title is #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearRamjet_title,
title is TORY Nuclear Ramjet Engine,
localization manufacturer is #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearRamjet_manuf,
manufacturer is C7 Aerospace Division,
localization upgradedName is #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearRamjet_ThermalNozzleController_upgra,
upgradedName is Hybrid Nuclear Ramjet,
localization upgrade_title is #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearRamjet_upgrade_title
upgrade_title is Direct Cycle Nuclear Ramjet Upgrade.

DCNT ->

Spoiler

cfg folder name is NuclearTurboJet,
file name is NuclearTurbojet,
part name is KspiNuclearJetEngine,
there is no model name but mesh name is TurboJet,
localization title is #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearJetEngine_title,
title is Direct Cycle Nuclear Turbojet,
localization manufacturer is #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearJetEngine_manuf,
manufacturer is PorkWorks,
localization originalName is #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearJetEngine_ThermalNozzleController_origi,
originalName is Atmospheric Thermal Jet,
localization upgradedName is #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearJetEngine_ThermalNozzleController_upgra,
upgradedName is Hybrid Thermal Rocket,
localization upgrade_title is #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearJetEngine_upgrade_title,
upgrade_title is Direct Cycle Nuclear Jet Engine Upgrade

Here are the upgrades;

\GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\Engines\NuclearRamJet\Upgrades.cfg

Spoiler

PARTUPGRADE
{
    name = NuclearRamjetUpgradeA
    partIcon = KspiNuclearRamjet
    techRequired = improvedNuclearPropulsion
    entryCost = 0
    cost = 0

title = #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearRamjet_upgrade_title        // #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearRamjet_upgrade_title = Direct Cycle Nuclear Ramjet Upgrade
    manufacturer = #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearRamjet_manuf        // #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearRamjet_manuf = C7 Aerospace Division
    description = #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearRamjet_upgrade_descr    // #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearRamjet_upgrade_descr = When reseached improves power output Nuclear Ramjet
}

\GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\Engines\NuclearTurbojet\Upgrades.cfg

Spoiler

PARTUPGRADE
{
    name = KspiNuclearJetUpgradeA
    partIcon = KspiNuclearJetEngine
    techRequired = advNuclearPropulsion
    entryCost = 0
    cost = 0 // for display only; all parts implementing this will need a PartStatsUpgradeModule with cost = this.

title = #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearJetEngine_upgrade_title        // #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearJetEngine_upgrade_title = Direct Cycle Nuclear Jet Engine Upgrade
    //basicInfo = Whatever\nblah
    manufacturer = #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearJetEngine_manuf        // #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearJetEngine_manuf = PorkWorks
    description = #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearJetEngine_upgrade_descr    // #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearJetEngine_upgrade_descr = When reseached improves power output Nuclear Jet Power Output and enables it to use propellants
}

\GameData\WarpPlugin\Localization\Parts\en-us.cfg

Spoiler

#LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearRamjet_title = TORY Nuclear Ramjet Engine
        #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearRamjet_manuf = C7 Aerospace Division
        #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearRamjet_descr = "Tory" is a Nuclear Ram-Jet, using an unshielded nuclear reactor to heat incoming air. While it does not require fuel, it will need boosting to a suitable velocity before becoming effective. Despite being the result of many years of very expensive research; we're not entirely certain of the side-effects of using the engine, as every scientist on the project has since turned a slightly more luminescent shade of green and expired.
        #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearRamjet_InterstellarFissionMSRGC_origi = Nuclear Reactor Mk1
        #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearRamjet_InterstellarFissionMSRGC_upgra = Nuclear Reactor Mk2
        #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearRamjet_FNGenerator_origi = Thermal Electric Generator Mk1
        #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearRamjet_FNGenerator_upgra = Thermal Electric Generator Mk2
        #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearRamjet_ThermalNozzleController_origi = Nuclear Ramjet
        #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearRamjet_ThermalNozzleController_upgra = Hybrid Nuclear Ramjet
        #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearRamjet_upgrade_title = Direct Cycle Nuclear Ramjet Upgrade
        #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearRamjet_upgrade_descr = When researched, improves power output of Nuclear Ramjet.

\GameData\WarpPlugin\Localization\Parts\en-us.cfg

Spoiler

#LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearJetEngine_title = Direct Cycle Nuclear Turbojet
        #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearJetEngine_manuf = PorkWorks
        #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearJetEngine_descr = Similar to a chemical Turbojet, except the combustion chamber has been replaced by a nuclear reactor heating the air and driving the turbine. Since it does not rely on chemical combustion, flight time is unlimited and the engine will work in oxygenless atmospheres. The only downside is the mass added by the heavy reactor shielding. It includes a built-in precooler and air intakes.
        #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearJetEngine_InterstellarFissionMSRGC_origi = Nuclear Reactor Mk1
        #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearJetEngine_InterstellarFissionMSRGC_upgra = Nuclear Reactor Mk2
        #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearJetEngine_ThermalElectricEffectGenerator_origi = Thermal Electric Generator Mk1
        #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearJetEngine_ThermalElectricEffectGenerator_upgra = Thermal Electric Generator Mk2
        #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearJetEngine_ThermalNozzleController_origi = Atmospheric Thermal Jet
        #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearJetEngine_ThermalNozzleController_upgra = Hybrid Thermal Rocket
        #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearJetEngine_upgrade_title = Direct Cycle Nuclear Jet Engine Upgrade
        #LOC_KSPIE_KspiNuclearJetEngine_upgrade_descr = When researched, improves Nuclear Jet Power Output and enables it to use propellants.

This seems a  bit inconsistent. I find it quite distracting when I want to find out why I am experiencing a problem. I really cannot think of playing KSP without KSPIE. I want to solve the riddle of the missing thrust.

Could I ask that in addition to being kind to me by helping me resolve my thrust problem, a request is made to clear up the naming confusion in a later release?

I realize part names will not change, but I think there is scope for more clarity without breaking any saved games.

Please let me know if there is anything you would like/want/need me to do in order to help solving this.

In the mean time I am writing a patch to allow mounting of the TORY as a replacement for the DCNT, needed as current version does not allow surface attachment of the TORY like DCNT.
Not an ideal solution but at least I will be able to see if the TORY can get me off the ground.

I've been playing KSP for a month now.

I installed version 1.19.2 on KSP 1.4.4 using CKAN (as with all the mods)

I can see several ISRU parts from KSPI-E (ISRU converter, processor, electrolyzer and refrigerator) , but I can't seem to find the ISRU Refinery part anywhere.

What am I missing?

Version 1.19.3 for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.3 can be downloaded from here

Released on 2018-06-23

• Compiled against KSP 1.4.4
  • Included new PhotonSail plugin, which reintroduces the SolarSail with improved realism and ability to be propelled by Bea med power
  • Added Replaced hard coded Field Strength modifiers by configurable modifiers
  • Fixed Magnetic Field Strength initialization (credits by Jumberjack)

Just now, EndTraveler said:

does the thermal heat generator help to manage heat?

Yes, if you are using electricity from reactor - otherwise if reactor, that produces charged and thermal energy had no thermal generator, thermal energy would be wasted.

On other hand charged particles if unused can be used by thermal engines as thermal engine.

16 hours ago, Omeran said:

I've been playing KSP for a month now.

I installed version 1.19.2 on KSP 1.4.4 using CKAN (as with all the mods)

I can see several ISRU parts from KSPI-E (ISRU converter, processor, electrolyzer and refrigerator) , but I can't seem to find the ISRU Refinery part anywhere.

What am I missing?

The wiki discusses the ISRU Refinery, but seems to no longer exist.  Its functions seems to have been replaced by the universal drill and the processor (I think).

8 hours ago, mbaryu said:

The wiki discusses the ISRU Refinery, but seems to no longer exist.  Its functions seems to have been replaced by the universal drill and the processor (I think).

Hmph, The universal drill doesn't work on asteroids ("not properly landed"), and the stock drill only extracts ore. Is there nothing else to mine on asteroids? (even the shiny ones with the purple veins?)

When playing KSP always keep a large slab of rock near the keyboard. Then when many times something does not work, rather than asking for help, repeatedly bang ones head against said slab. If done hard enough and frequently enough, blessed peace will be obtained.

Or, have the patience of a saint to wait for the mods to bring their works of love up to the latest release and pray it all works together.

Peace.

Alternatively, do not bother to update ksp version at all, once you have all the mods that you like working nicely together, just ignore the updates that mods birth through their pain.

Edited by Apaseall

On 6/24/2018 at 2:16 AM, FreeThinker said:

Version 1.19.3 for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.3 can be downloaded from here

Released on 2018-06-23

• Compiled against KSP 1.4.4
  • Included new PhotonSail plugin, which reintroduces the SolarSail with improved realism and ability to be propelled by Bea med power
  • Added Replaced hard coded Field Strength modifiers by configurable modifiers
  • Fixed Magnetic Field Strength initialization (credits by Jumberjack)

Hello, I was playing ksp 1.3.1. And I can't find SolarSail or PhotonSail in Vab and R&D,is that not included in 1.3.1 yet?

6 hours ago, Sweetie bot said:

Hello, I was playing ksp 1.3.1. And I can't find SolarSail or PhotonSail in Vab and R&D,is that not included in 1.3.1 yet?

For the 1.3.1 version you need to download it separately, there is a download link to a 1.3.1 version  on 

On 6/20/2018 at 5:43 PM, mbaryu said:

I noticed this as well.  I think it occurred around the time of the 1.4 upgrade.

In NuclearRamJet2.cfg :

MODULE
    {
//        name = AtmosphericIntake
        name = ModuleResourceIntake // change name
        resourceName = IntakeAtm // insert line
        intakeTransformName = Intake
        area = 0.01
        intakeSpeed = 12
    }

fixes the problem. I noticed that resourceName = IntakeAir also works, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to use external intakes. In that case

RESOURCE
    {
        name = IntakeAtm
        amount = 0.9
        maxAmount = 0.9
          isTweakable = false
        hideFlow = false
    }

doesn't apply. A side effect is that using air instead of atm makes the engine run indefinitely without flameout (even in space, although with 0.0 Newtons).

I would like to report a bug with the alcubierre drive(I will try to answer any questions I see with some delay about specifics if you wish). Every so often when I try to intercept another vessel and when I get close enough (I estimate within a 50k-150k radius) it seems to send that vessel out hurling at a very high velocity. Most of the time but not all the time the vessel I am trying to reach will be ripped apart. Just here to help address an error.

36 minutes ago, Mr.GReAt said:

I would like to report a bug with the alcubierre drive(I will try to answer any questions I see with some delay about specifics if you wish). Every so often when I try to intercept another vessel and when I get close enough (I estimate within a 50k-150k radius) it seems to send that vessel out hurling at a very high velocity. Most of the time but not all the time the vessel I am trying to reach will be ripped apart. Just here to help address an error.

This sounds like the unity engine and is essentially unfixable.  What happens is that your ship is made motionless by unity while moving, but anything that comes within physics range is moved -at your speed-.  Most of the time, that's okay, but even at relatively normal velocities some larger objects (space stations, etc) can be ripped apart by unity's behavior.  At relativistic speeds, even relatively simple ships will be torn apart by unity's quirks.  (Fwiw, I also find this tremendously annoying :) ).

Not sure where to raise this problem, but decided that KSPI is better place because it is a less global mod than Principia. Anyway whenever Principia(https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/162200-wip131-143-principia—version-dedekind-released-2018-06-13—n-body-and-extended-body-gravitation-axial-tilt/) is installed (a drop in, not in ckan) ArcJet RCS based components stop providing linear thrust ('h' and 'n' keys in rcs mode) but rotational (torque) works just fine. Just to clarify stock rcs work correctly with principia installed.

Edited by Senaurus

15 hours ago, mbaryu said:

This sounds like the unity engine and is essentially unfixable.  What happens is that your ship is made motionless by unity while moving, but anything that comes within physics range is moved -at your speed-.  Most of the time, that's okay, but even at relatively normal velocities some larger objects (space stations, etc) can be ripped apart by unity's behavior.  At relativistic speeds, even relatively simple ships will be torn apart by unity's quirks.  (Fwiw, I also find this tremendously annoying :) ).

Pretty sure I heard that in some sci-fi movie, that trying to warp close to other ships is dangerous and could rip them apart. Might as well call it a feature.