KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

13 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Alright, good then could you describe the steps I should follow to reproduce the problem you are suffering of?

Warp to Jool. Set target to Eve, hit retrograde, reduce speed to zero (match speeds with Eve), and then try to warp out of Jool. Carefully as you like, low speed as you like. Be in a spaceplane-type ship, not some big kludgy no-atmosphere freighter or science ship. One of my main problems is that even a slight mis-assembly on spaceplanes makes it impossible for them to fly stable so I can't land them. Actually on second thought, it's bad enough when a thruster is misaligned and sends you tumbling out of control. Use whatever ship you like; after warping around some, look at it closely for signs that it's not how it should be.

Meanwhile I've been looking over my game data directory and I found something called 'persistent rotation'. I think that may have come with RSS when I tried to make it work, and I may have missed it when I deleted RSS... unless it is part of Interstellar? I'll move that directory to deactivate it and try again and see if maybe it was causing the problem.

Ah. Nope, persistent rotation is in the Interstellar zip file, so that's not a remnant of something else. Nope, everything's accounted for--the only mods I have that didn't come with Interstellar only add new modules and don't change the way anything else works.

Edited by Dave1234
New info

Version 1.15.2 for Kerbal Space Program 1.3.0 can be downloaded from here

Released on 2017-10-01

• Added Deployable Antimatter Magnetic Trap (by Spacemouse)
  • Added Hex Assemby Cargo Container ( by Dr Jet)
  • Added Part Localization (by Eleusis La Arwall)
  • Added Localization for Reactor part module
  • Added Improved Kspedia for KSPI by jahwsuf
  • Added Deployable Thermophotovoltaic Receiver (by SilverSliver)
  • Added Pivoted Thermophotovoltaic Receiver (by SilverSliver)
  • Added Circular Ultraviolet Photovoltaic Receiver
  • Added Ability to stay in full control while AI core active
  • Added Ability to Disable AI Probe core
  • Added Antimatter as an option in Charged Particle storage container
  • Added Aluminum Hybrid Rocket by Eleusis La Arwall
  • Added small Nuclear Battery to Computer core
  • Added new Launch nozzle by Eleusis La Arwall
  • Added Thermal Mode Hydrogen Oxidizer and LFO mode which can be used with Launch Nozzle
  • Added cheat which allows switching beam generator wavelength during flight (NonStrictAttachmentOrientation)
  • Added Improved Beamed Power Interface,(master is now able to see all slaves)
  • Added SpotsizeMultiplier of 1.22
  • Added Improved Gui and performance Atmosphere extractor
  • Balance: Reduced mass magnetic traps
  • Balance: Magnetic Traps now require power to function and can be disabled
  • Balance: Improved efficiency Thermal Power Generators
  • Balance: increased mass Deplorable Phased Array
  • Balance: made Computer Core Artificial Intelligence Mode unlocked with Artificial Intelligence Tech
  • Balance: made several beamed power transmitter available earlier
  • Balance: Magneto Inertial Fusion Engine benefits for unlocking Electric Engine tech nodes
  • Balance: Reduced cost all reactors by 50%
  • Balance: all part cost scales with part dry mass
  • Balance: Reduced minimum size and cost VISTA engine
  • Balance: Ore extraction Universal Crust Extractor
  • Balance: Thermal receives are no longer negatively affected by Wasteheat accumulation
  • Balance: improved performance and gui beamed power receiver
  • Fixed loss of resources in Cryo Storage when build in space (unverified)
  • Fixed RCS stability and power cost
  • Fixed Hydrazine isp on Arcjet and Resistojets
  • Fixed Blanked Rectenna wavelength switching
  • Fixed Transmit capability on Pivoted Phased Array
  • Fixed Thermal Receiver overheating when no thermal power usage
  • Fixed Issues with Charged Particle Container when switching to antimatter mode
  • Fixed Graphic Glitch Blanket receivers
  • Fixed Issue visibility IFS tanks in stock filter part menu
  • Fixed most Scaling issues VISTA engine (except resource switch)
  • Fixed stability Confinement Fusion Reactors stability against power spikes
  • Fixed stability Inertial Fusion Engine
  • Fixed some decoupler cluttering issues
  • Fixed tweakscale issue universal extractor
  • Fixed an issue which caused configured beam generator wavelength to change after unlocking far infrared
  • Fixed issue with Cryo cooling being initially turned off
  • Fixed issue with Thermal Power receiver wings not generating enough thermal power
  • Fixed Limited receiver to their maximum capacity
  • Fixed Wasteheat is only generated on beamed power receivers when the power is used
  • Fixed direction problem with iHall computer core
Edited by FreeThinker

2 minutes ago, Dave1234 said:

Was that my problem? I was on an outdated version? Or did you only just release that?

This release has been in the works for many weeks. It has nothing to do with your warp problem.

Edited by FreeThinker

Just now, FreeThinker said:

This release has been in the works for a few months. It has nothing to do with your warp problem.

I know you didn't release it because of me. What I meant was, I was afraid you were saying you had set it up earlier and I had missed it, and I was using an old version like an idiot so you were linking me to it.

1 hour ago, Dave1234 said:

First, NASA's emDrive result is preliminary and crude. Today's theories all say it shouldn't work at all; once they understand how it works, they'll be able to make it work much, much better. So no, it's not cheating, it's just speculative science. Plausible science fiction really.

The thing is it goes against so much of physics that it's likely experimental error of some kind rather than merely primitive.

5 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

The thing is it goes against so much of physics that it's likely experimental error of some kind rather than merely primitive.

Against so much of non-quantum physics. There are still things we don't know. More importantly, there are things we DO know that could be related to it, such as the Casimir effect, which if I recall correctly involves excluding certain wavelengths of... call it quantum foam I guess; photon/antiphoton pairs spontaneously generating and immediately canceling each other out, pardon me if that's not how they think it works anymore. My information is two decades old. Anyway, regardless of how, the Casimir effect has been proven to exist, and to affect the real universe, and it seems sensible to me that there would be other ways to interact with it.

Yes, I suppose it may still be some sort of experimental error. My personal opinion, admittedly based at least partly on hope, is that it's equally likely not an error. On the bright side, space programs here and there are kludging together EMDrives to play around with as we speak. After all, they're not huge or dangerous, so why not skip the middleman and just launch one up into space and try it out? Hopefully we'll know for sure in a few years. In the meantime, if you're going to give us Alcubierre drives--which frankly are a lot less likely ever to happen than EMDrives--why not give us some normal space magic to have fun with too?

1 hour ago, Dave1234 said:

Against so much of non-quantum physics. There are still things we don't know. More importantly, there are things we DO know that could be related to it, such as the Casimir effect, which if I recall correctly involves excluding certain wavelengths of... call it quantum foam I guess; photon/antiphoton pairs spontaneously generating and immediately canceling each other out, pardon me if that's not how they think it works anymore. My information is two decades old. Anyway, regardless of how, the Casimir effect has been proven to exist, and to affect the real universe, and it seems sensible to me that there would be other ways to interact with it.

Yes, I suppose it may still be some sort of experimental error. My personal opinion, admittedly based at least partly on hope, is that it's equally likely not an error. On the bright side, space programs here and there are kludging together EMDrives to play around with as we speak. After all, they're not huge or dangerous, so why not skip the middleman and just launch one up into space and try it out? Hopefully we'll know for sure in a few years. In the meantime, if you're going to give us Alcubierre drives--which frankly are a lot less likely ever to happen than EMDrives--why not give us some normal space magic to have fun with too?

Casimir doesn't break the laws of physics.  EM drive does.

39 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Casimir doesn't break the laws of physics.  EM drive does.

No. The EM Drive breaks the taboos of physics. The laws are something that, in many areas including that one, we're still groping towards. Do the taboos mesh with the laws in this case? Too early to say. Physics is as full of 'sacred cows' as any other science, and considering how much work went into establishing them, it's understandable that scientists are reluctant to let them go. But it's important that we not let them delude us--or themselves--that their current set of taboos is quite the same as a perfect and complete set of laws. They don't know everything yet.

24 minutes ago, Dave1234 said:

No. The EM Drive breaks the taboos of physics. The laws are something that, in many areas including that one, we're still groping towards. Do the taboos mesh with the laws in this case? Too early to say. Physics is as full of 'sacred cows' as any other science, and considering how much work went into establishing them, it's understandable that scientists are reluctant to let them go. But it's important that we not let them delude us--or themselves--that their current set of taboos is quite the same as a perfect and complete set of laws. They don't know everything yet.

Yeah, there's no way to look at the rulebook, we just have go on what we see--and by what we see conservation of momentum is pretty solid.  The EM drive breaks it.

4 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Yeah, there's no way to look at the rulebook, we just have go on what we see--and by what we see conservation of momentum is pretty solid.  The EM drive breaks it.

Experiment over theory. If, according to what we know, it can't be doing what we see, then we don't know everything.

Could it be an experimental error? Sure. But they seemed pretty sure it wasn't, in the stuff I read. So I guess we'll know when they take it into space. We can go around in circles here a million times. Bottom line, I want the EM Drive in my version of KSP. If you don't want it in yours, delete its directory.

Edited by Dave1234

Are following bugs fixed?

-  Propellant efficiency lowers energy demand by its percentage, its thrust that should be lowered. Only thermal efficiency (of electrical engine) should reduce power demand

- Most of reactors have power discrepancy between what part says and what thermal manager says, in some cases its 1000x discrepancy

- Thermal nuclear ramjet (that one with built in nuclear reactor) is losted at wrong size.

https://imgur.com/a/CAGRt

https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo?photo_id=9971659149&album_id=5034912960

Edited by raxo2222

32 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

- Thermal nuclear ramjet (that one with built in nuclear reactor) is losted at wrong size.

Well that debatable because it has both a wide side and a narrow size and it will not matter anyway because it has an integrated thermal electric engine and engine with the same diameter

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Well that debatable because it has both a wide side and a narrow size and it will not matter anyway because it has an integrated thermal electric engine and engine with the same diameter

It could be listed at size of attachment point like there:

187989873b38c65600102c96173f5d2dff9b73b6

HAL is 1.875m here, so this engine could be listed as 1.875m instead of 2.5m as well.

Edited by raxo2222

hello @FreeThinker
i collected some data on my no trust problem
this is the LR-PMK10 that had the unbalanced Ac poising the solid core
the problem at the moment is that the solid cors in this ship has an ISP of 64024 but a trust of 0

important: i have most of nerta`s NF mods installed
KSP 1.3
kspi 1.15.2
al mods uptodate acording to AVC and ckan

logs
KSP.log https://yadi.sk/d/w9vS8hfU3NQpF2

output.log https://yadi.sk/d/tQiHpEEZ3NQpHB

pic 8TqPkz6.png

movie https://yadi.sk/d/tRZuCCXm3NQrGp

Edited by danielboro

https://imgur.com/1f6V1jl

https://imgur.com/pg7rM9x

I have this infrared laser in orbit but although it fires almost 5 GW my test rocket only "sees" 10 MV and it's directly below it! This is 1.2 version of KSP and corresponding KSPIe mod... in previous attempts (after a lot of switching between emitter, relays and the rocket, turning on and off each one of them ) it worked as it should , when in line of sight it received maximum i.e. 3,5 GW or about 800 MV when using one of the relays, but now turning on and off doesn't do the trick any more...    

Is mining not supposed to work while I'm not focused on the mining rig? I have mining crawlers out, I spend time working with other ships, and when I come back to them, it says "universal drill has mined for X seconds and collected 0 units of resources." The only way to get mining done is to sit there and watch it.

Also, the power-loss-on-docking bug is worse now. Now I lose power and have to save and reload whenever I switch controlled ships with [/] keys.

13 hours ago, NeverEnoughFuel!! said:

https://imgur.com/1f6V1jl

https://imgur.com/pg7rM9x

I have this infrared laser in orbit but although it fires almost 5 GW my test rocket only "sees" 10 MV and it's directly below it! This is 1.2 version of KSP and corresponding KSPIe mod... in previous attempts (after a lot of switching between emitter, relays and the rocket, turning on and off each one of them ) it worked as it should , when in line of sight it received maximum i.e. 3,5 GW or about 800 MV when using one of the relays, but now turning on and off doesn't do the trick any more...    

Notice the thermal receiver has a blind spot directly above and below. To compensate for this, use a radial thermal receiver dish pointed directly to the back.

3 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Notice the thermal receiver has a blind spot directly above and below. To compensate for this, use a radial thermal receiver dish pointed directly to the back.

No, that's not it... after reinstalling the mod it works... at least for now... is there a way to convert infrared to electricity directly without thermal generator? Or the thermal receiver + generator is inevitable?

1 hour ago, NeverEnoughFuel!! said:

No, that's not it... after reinstalling the mod it works... at least for now... is there a way to convert infrared to electricity directly without thermal generator? Or the thermal receiver + generator is inevitable?

Infrared can be converted to power directly either with rectennas or phased arrays configured for the wavelength you are trying to transfer. Rectenna and Phased arrays in general have the advantage of being both more efficient and lighter. Phased array have the additional advantage they can also transmit and relay at the cost of higher mass and are harder to keep targeted.

Edited by FreeThinker

6 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Infrared can be converted to power directly either with rectennas or phased arrays configured for the wavelength you are trying to transfer. Rectenna and Phased arrays in general have the advantage of being both more efficient, lighter. Phased array have the advantage they can also transmit and relay at the cost of higher mass and are harder to keep targeted.

Nevermind... it doesn't work again... this is a bug definitely

Since updating to the newest release my first tier Solid Core Nuclear reactors have gone from generating loads of EC/MJ to being a net consumer of power. Interestingly, if I shut them down they actually use more energy, draining the batteries quicker. It also is happening across several craft simultaneously, with no relation to their wasteheat or actinide buildup. Also, doesn't matter if they are currently thrusting or not.

Did something change or did I mess up my update somehow?

EDIT: Well, on further examination it looks like on one ship the efficiency has just dropped across the board -- wasteheat buildup I suppose. Moar radiators I guess.

But on another craft one of my engines has just quit producing EC altogether, even though it is on and the generator is operating and the rocket produces thrust. The rest of the reactors on the vessel are running fine.

At this point I'm thinking user error, although I wouldn't mind any help. Running 1.3 KSP, and 1.15.2 KSPIE, and a lot of other mods.

Edited by Mandella

I'm sorry to keep coming back to this, but the whole gravity drag thing doesn't make any empirical sense to me.. sometimes it works exactly as I'd want, as I get closer to the target, my dV-to-circularize gets smaller the closer I get to a gravity well... but just now, for example, i was trying to fly to Duna.. no matter which approach vector I took to the planet, my dV-to-circularize keeps going UP as I get deeper into the gravity well... every once in a while it'd go down a tiny bit but then start going back up again... was skirting as close to the atmosphere at low warp as I could get without touching atmosphere and just... no luck, couldn't get the dV below 16900 to circularize (approximately)... what's the secret here?  It seems I don't even have the tools to calculate an exact vector, but before that I'd need to know how to calculate the vector, and it is completely escaping me... if it were possible to set a fake 'target' at 2 points forming a line along which the proper approach to a given celestial body is defined, that'd certainly help, but for now I'd just like to know which way i'm supposed to arrive at a planet so that the dV goes down and not up... :)  thanks in advance.

hello @FreeThinker
i collected some data on my no trust problem
this is the LR-PMK10 that had the unbalanced Ac poising the solid core
the problem at the moment is that the solid cors in this ship has an ISP of 64024 but a trust of 0

important: i have most of nerta`s NF mods installed
KSP 1.3
kspi 1.15.2
al mods uptodate acording to AVC and ckan

logs
KSP.log https://yadi.sk/d/w9vS8hfU3NQpF2

output.log https://yadi.sk/d/tQiHpEEZ3NQpHB

Hey FreeThinker 

I'm Having same problem as danielboro.  Reactors read core temp 2200K active(0.000%) on TORY, Solid Core after I have left it for for a while and moved on to another ship.  Am I missing something gameplay wise?  I had this happen to a MS reactor in orbit and did shutdown which immediately increased the percentage in (%) so it seems like somethings off.

Thanks

Edited by xxfltcom
misspelling