KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

40 minutes ago, Lordmaddog said:

Actually I think there is. They seem way over powered and I had to stop using them. Otherewise  I could have mastered my entire tec tree by the time I made my first landing on another planet.

It extremely easy  to fill them up. I just make a ship that has all the science aps on it and can fly to minmus then land on it. By the time it touches down its full. And I can keep doing that if I have the kerbals. Using this method you can max the tec tree with out ever leaving kerbins orbit.

That is a stock behavior, it always been. If you want a bigger challenge you have to lower your science reward at least to 50%.

2 hours ago, Lordmaddog said:

Actually I think there is. They seem way over powered and I had to stop using them. Otherewise  I could have mastered my entire tec tree by the time I made my first landing on another planet.

It extremely easy  to fill them up. I just make a ship that has all the science aps on it and can fly to minmus then land on it. By the time it touches down its full. And I can keep doing that if I have the kerbals. Using this method you can max the tec tree with out ever leaving kerbins orbit.

Well in my view Science Labs are overpowered by default because as you said an experience player can abuse them to finish all research without lgo further than minimus

An option is to integrate KSPI-E this mod

It would solve the overpower nature of research lab, but it would also radically change the stock labs operation. What do you think?

8 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Well in my view Science Labs are overpowered by default because as you said an experience player can abuse them to finish all research without lgo further than minimus

An option is to integrate KSPI-E this mod

It would solve the overpower nature of research lab, but it would also radically change the stock labs operation. What do you think?

IMHO, that mod is unnecessarily complicated. The stock lab is overpowered, it gives too much science. A partial solution, other than diminishing the science reward, would be to lower the amount of science created per data.

3 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

IMHO, that mod is unnecessarily complicated. The stock lab is overpowered, it gives too much science. A partial solution, other than diminishing the science reward, would be to lower the amount of science created per data.

Agreed about too complicated, in my current playthrough I just don't use the lab at all. 

This really isn't a problem with KSPI-E, we should just leave it as stock behavior.

15 minutes ago, Liquid5n0w said:

Agreed about too complicated, in my current playthrough I just don't use the lab at all. 

This really isn't a problem with KSPI-E, we should just leave it as stock behavior.

I use it with a 50% reward. I had unmanned probes everywhere except Pol and Boo. Manned missions on Duna and Eve and I have to unlock only the last node of the WarpDrive. 

Without Interstellar, you can unlock all the tech tree just landing repeatedly on Mun and Minmus.

14 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

Without Interstellar, you can unlock all the tech tree just landing repeatedly on Mun and Minmus.

well now that I think about it ant that we have done IRL. 

we have one probe on mars i think lol.

As such I believe that it should take a decent amount of from the mun and back type stuff before you achieve tec that can get to duna/mars but you should not be able  to unlock every thing.

Also a thing that greatly annoys me in both game and RL is the lack of Helium 3 (He-3). Its power generation potential is MASSIVE and the moon has 3-6' of it covering the entire surface. we should be mining the stuff and using it.

In game it be awesome to mine a ton of it and deliver it to kerbin then use it to make new reactors and engines. Or to sell it off at 10k an ounce.

Edited by Lordmaddog

3 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

The power needed change depending on your antenna, it's not related to the amount of data you're transmitting.

More data = more time.  If your transmitter draws more than your generators produce that could matter.

17 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

I use it with a 50% reward. I had unmanned probes everywhere except Pol and Boo. Manned missions on Duna and Eve and I have to unlock only the last node of the WarpDrive. 

Download the Bon Voyage autopilot and you can do a planet with a single rover without dying of old age in the process.  On Minmus you can use their jetpack as an ascent stage.  On the Mun you can do it if you have KIS and put some extra fuel in their backpack.  Obviously you can't do that on high-G worlds.

1 minute ago, Loren Pechtel said:

More data = more time.  If your transmitter draws more than your generators produce that could matter.

Right, it matters, but depends on your antenna. One of the Interstellar ones will deplete your energy also for a Temperature Scan if you have not a reactor on board. The solution is to allow for partial transmission from the right click menu of the antenna.

6 minutes ago, Lordmaddog said:

snip 

For Helium3 my favorite solution is to put a couple of fusion reactor close to the KSC and let them produce it slowly.

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

You can complete the stock tree without going beyond Minmus without a lab.

I just built my first lab rover, while it was starting out I recovered my crew off the Mun with enough science to finish the tree and start on some Interstellar tech.

39 minutes ago, Lordmaddog said:

In game it be awesome to mine a ton of it and deliver it to kerbin then use it to make new reactors and engines. Or to sell it off at 10k an ounce.

You can already, the last KSPI-E versions added the Regolith mining to KSP, which can be converted to Helium3 in the ISRU refinery when processed. In the future I intend to integrate it with regolith harvester  currently being constructed by rickrokite

ZiLLXdx.png

Edited by FreeThinker

16 minutes ago, Lordmaddog said:

Hey I see that the stellarater can operate using boron and Hydrogen.

How do I make Hydrogen tho? I have tons of LG Hydrogen but how to I get it to plain Hydrogen? 

You could use the universal gassifier

Edited by FreeThinker

On 1/26/2017 at 11:01 PM, FreeThinker said:

@ThirdOfSeven

Add some radiators and show me it headed directly at vessel, you must select it and it. it should be visible in the nav-ball.

Also, what version of KSPI-E are you using?

KSPI-E 1.12.0. I have this now:

baT6LGX.png

KsWzRMU.png

Still nothing. I checked laser beams too, they are working in same scenario.

On 1/26/2017 at 11:49 AM, ThirdOfSeven said:

Am I missing some part but receiver here? Why doesn't it receive anything? Something like it worked in older KSPI before.

I think I'm having the same problem, as I document below with screenshots. I have two craft, a power station with a gyrotron generating Ka-band microwave connected to a multi bandwith dish tranceiver that appears to be beaming 9 GW, rendezvoused at < 1 km in LKO. The reciever is a Mk1 inline thermal connected to a generator and oriented at 90 deg to the transmitter, but still shows no power. 

Wp4fSDK.jpg

2w0h1tO.jpg

11 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

Well I'm using ETT, which I don't recommend right now.  But it does effectively double how much science you need to collect, and is quite fun.

I'm looking forward to giving this mod a whirl, but I cannot figure out what planet and/or intersteller pack to use, or what scaling to use, or what visual packs I can use.

I used ckan to install KSPI-E, and only the mods it itself asked for, so I see the stock universe. I know that it's too small, and I see the options listed in the first post, but they differ radically in both scale and # of worlds.

Which of these, or what other universe, would you recommend, and why? I'd like something that plays nice with EVE.

Version 1.12.1 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2

Released on 2017-01-29

• Added Offline processing for all ISRU processes
  • Added Atmospheric Resource Extraction will now use stock resource extraction definition when available
  • Added Cesium as an Electronic propellant useful as an dense efficient propellant for MPD, Vasimir and travelingWave engine
  • Added Atmospheric Intake will now also function correctly at high timewarp
  • Added Re-textured ISRU Refinery making it look distinct from the stock ISRU texture (credits by EvilGeorge)
  • Added Regolith Collector will now also make use of stock resource extraction definition (credits by EvilGeorge)
  • Added functionality which will add trace amount Helium4, Helium3 and Deuterium to atmosphere when missing.
  • Balanced reduced lab research bonus and power cost on KSPI lab but increase science storage capacity
  • Fixed Atmospheric Resource Offline processing amount
  • Fixed Atmospheric Resource Helium-4 and Helium-3 extraction and added Xenon, Deuterium, and Krypton for extraction
Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm looking forward to giving this mod a whirl, but I cannot figure out what planet and/or intersteller pack to use, or what scaling to use, or what visual packs I can use.

I used ckan to install KSPI-E, and only the mods it itself asked for, so I see the stock universe. I know that it's too small, and I see the options listed in the first post, but they differ radically in both scale and # of worlds.

Which of these, or what other universe, would you recommend, and why? I'd like something that plays nice with EVE.

The OP of KSPI offers the following recommendations

Recommended Star System/ Galaxy mods:

Beside this I would advice you to choose mature and well supported mods above newer mods

18 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

The OP of KSPI offers the following recommendations

Beside this I would advice you to choose mature and well supported mods above newer mods

And, no doubt, any of these will work. But they yield very different games, due to the number of biomes to do science on, and the scale of the universe. They range from x1 to x10 stock, and that's a HUGE variance!

Plus, they differ in quality of planet textures and atmospherics.

What I need is advice. From players (including yourself if you like, most excellent FreeThinker). What sort of universe yields a fun KSPI-E game, and why? Any warning about memory usage that you'd like to share?

Also, while I'm here: Would anyone think it impracticable to simply not use the Science Lab at all for processing science? I'm looking to get a proper KSPI-E boot-strap game going, not "get all the tech before I leave Kerbin orbit", or "endless slog to get even half the tech tree", but rather something challenging yet not too rough.